Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hogs vs LSU. Our 2nd year in the SEC. Classic.

Started by Country Stylz, February 08, 2016, 05:56:46 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Country Stylz

phadedhawg

That was a fun game to watch at the end of a frustrating season

SamBuckhart

Just got back from Ft. Hood and watched it on tv at my grandmothers house in east texas. Def one of my favorites. Thanksgiving leftovers too. Bonus.
BE TRUE TO YOUR SCHOOL. THE UNIVERSITY OF ARKANSAS!!!  WOOO PIG!!!

sage_dragoon

How I've missed a dynamic DB like Orlando Watters. That was the first season I truly remember watching all the games and understanding what's going on.
XBox360 - SageDragoon79

redeye

I honestly didn't realize that LSU had ever fielded a great football team when I watched that game.  My only real interest in the game was that I knew A&M considered LSU a big rival, so I wanted to beat them worse then A&M was doing back then.  I can remember thinking after the game was over that we'd probably beat them this bad yearly.

I obviously didn't know better.   :-[

atekido

Quote from: redeye on February 08, 2016, 11:28:52 pm
I honestly didn't realize that LSU had ever fielded a great football team when I watched that game.  My only real interest in the game was that I knew A&M considered LSU a big rival, so I wanted to beat them worse then A&M was doing back then.  I can remember thinking after the game was over that we'd probably beat them this bad yearly.

I obviously didn't know better.   :-[

LSU was never considered anything above average until Nick Saban came along. Before him they were just another once in a blue moon team.

DeltaBoy

Watters would be flagged for that on the INT for a TD return for taunting now days.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: atekido on February 09, 2016, 08:01:45 am
LSU was never considered anything above average until Nick Saban came along. Before him they were just another once in a blue moon team.
Yep, since the 60s when Charlie Mcclendon (an Arkansan himself) was their HC the Tigers hadn't really been consistently good until ole Nick came on the scene. This success has obviously continued, for the most part anyway, for Miles.

I'm sure that many of the younger members may not remember that between the Bear retiring and Nick coming to the rescue of yet ANOTHER program the Tide struggled for a time as well. The only real stretch of success was the Gene Stallings era. The point being, as good as 'Bama has been over its history just like every other program it's had its struggles too. So for those who think that things can never change all you have to do is just wait around long enough and they certainly will.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on February 09, 2016, 11:15:51 am
Yep, since the 60s when Charlie Mcclendon (an Arkansan himself) was their HC the Tigers hadn't really been consistently good until ole Nick came on the scene. This success has obviously continued, for the most part anyway, for Miles.

I'm sure that many of the younger members may not remember that between the Bear retiring and Nick coming to the rescue of yet ANOTHER program the Tide struggled for a time as well. The only real stretch of success was the Gene Stallings era. The point being, as good as 'Bama has been over its history just like every other program it's had its struggles too. So for those who think that things can never change all you have to do is just wait around long enough and they certainly will.

Your correct.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.

PorkSoda

"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

supersaint

That was great effort by the DE on the second defensive play of the video.
There's no sense in nonsense when the heat is hot.

Hogwild

Quote from: atekido on February 09, 2016, 08:01:45 am

They were prior to this century a lot like us.  Top 15-20 all time in wins, lots of bowl games, one national title (50 years ago) but never any consistency after Charlie Mac retired. Go to the Sugar Bowl, have a losing record the following year.

That '93 game against LSU was my first road game that I went to.

Country Stylz

Quote from: supersaint on February 09, 2016, 12:41:40 pm
That was great effort by the DE on the second defensive play of the video.
Who was that #85?

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: Hogwild on February 09, 2016, 05:14:39 pm
They were prior to this century a lot like us.  Top 15-20 all time in wins, lots of bowl games, one national title (50 years ago) but never any consistency after Cholly Mac retired. Go to the Sugar Bowl, have a losing record the following year.

That '93 game against LSU was my first road game that I went to.

FIFY.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

murthage

Okay... my memory fails me, so I am asking for a little help.  I remember an Arkansas trained coach was hired as their head coach, but lost his life in a small plane mishap he was piloting, before he had a chance to begin their legacy.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: murthage on February 11, 2016, 07:00:41 pm
Okay... my memory fails me, so I am asking for a little help.  I remember an Arkansas trained coach was hired as their head coach, but lost his life in a small plane mishap he was piloting, before he had a chance to begin their legacy.

That would be Bo Rein. Not sure he was the pilot though.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Hogwild

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on February 11, 2016, 07:21:56 pm
That would be Bo Rein. Not sure he was the pilot though.

He wasn't the pilot, I saw a SEC Network or ESPN show at the gym a few months back.  He was on a recruiting trip, the plane I believe crashed in the Atlantic, air pressure issue most likely.

murthage

Thanks guys.... you are right, he was not the pilot.  But remember he was considered a coach to lead LSU to the promise land.  Understand it was an oxygen glitch which resulted in the plane flying pilotless straight over land and into the ocean

supersaint

DeltaBoy

ImHogginIt

Quote from: supersaint on February 11, 2016, 10:37:53 pm
Yes. He looks kind of stupid.

Was that him making a key block on Watters TD return at the 4 min mark?

lahawg1

What I noticed was the VG form tackling. Nobody went for the big hit and everyone hit low and wrapped up for no additional yards.

HogShat

Quote from: DeltaBoy on February 09, 2016, 10:59:37 am
Watters would be flagged for that on the INT for a TD return for taunting now days.

You are right DB. That is the main thing I see when I watch these older clips. They have taken much of the fun out of the game.

supersaint

Quote from: ImHogginIt on July 21, 2016, 09:47:55 pm
Was that him making a key block on Watters TD return at the 4 min mark?

I think it was.

Carl Lazlo

Junior Soli must be a time traveler.  Dabbed after laying out ball carrier.

HogSkinsDisease

supersaint