Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Juan Day

Started by dafe1, February 07, 2016, 06:23:12 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

dafe1

Any word on his progression?

I was excited about him coming out of school... tbh, I think I liked him even more than Tenpenny (RIP). I know he's had some injuries... but how do we see him compared to RW3, Whaley, etc?

Thanks in advance.

tophawg19

more of a power guy than the others .
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

Ironhawg

I hope he can get past the knee injuries, both physically and mentally.  He has had some tough breaks and has hung in there.

Hog N Bama

I was wondering too. Sure looked exciting coming out of HS. :razorback:

JIHawg

I thought he looked good what little bit we saw him in the spring red white game.

nwahogfan1

Quote from: tophawg19 on February 07, 2016, 06:29:28 pm

I thought he was more of a tall juking type back.  I never saw him play but I thought he had some wiggle in his running style and liked to make people miss over running over them.

choppedporkextrasauce

Quote from: tophawg19 on February 07, 2016, 06:29:28 pm

and yet he broke one for 95 yards in HS.

That's impressive at any level.

The_Iceman

Quote from: choppedporkextrasauce on February 08, 2016, 11:35:34 am

and yet he broke one for 95 yards in HS.

That's impressive at any level.

Broderick Green went for 99 here.

Hoggish1

Quote from: dafe1 on February 07, 2016, 06:23:12 pm

I guess you didn't see him get some carries at the end of the year...

bennyl08

Quote from: dafe1 on February 07, 2016, 06:23:12 pm

He played for us last season, so I feel safe in saying his progression went well.

QuoteI was excited about him coming out of school... tbh, I think I liked him even more than Tenpenny (RIP). I know he's had some injuries... but how do we see him compared to RW3, Whaley, etc?

Thanks in advance.

Broderick Green.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

Polecat

A couple of Super Bowl players, Thomas Davis for the Panthers (3 ACLs, if I'm not mistaken) and Super Bowl MVP Von Miller both overcame ACL injuries. Hopefully Juan can get back to form following his injuries. Would be quite a story
Arkansas born and raised. 1999 UA alum

hei5manhog

Biddy said on the radio a couple weeks ago from the practices he's seen (did media have access during any bowl practices?) he doesn't think he'll ever be at feature back level. fwiw.
"If I can't practice, I can't practice. It is as simple as that. It ain't about that at all. It's easy to sum it up if you're just talking about practice. We're sitting here, and I'm supposed to be the franchise player, and we're talking about practice. I mean listen, we're sitting here talking about practice, not a game, not a game, not a game, but we're talking about practice. Not the game that I go out there and die for and play every game like it's my last but we're talking about practice man. How silly is that?

PorkRinds

Quote from: hei5manhog on February 08, 2016, 02:15:14 pm
Biddy said on the radio a couple weeks ago from the practices he's seen (did media have access during any bowl practices?) he doesn't think he'll ever be at feature back level. fwiw.

I don't trust the opinion of Trey "iddy" Biddy. 

hei5manhog

Quote from: PorkRinds on February 08, 2016, 02:17:03 pm

I would say he's probably just being cautious with his 'prediction' if you classify it as such. I mean who really knows after two major knee injuries. I would say the same thing and i've never seen him run.
"If I can't practice, I can't practice. It is as simple as that. It ain't about that at all. It's easy to sum it up if you're just talking about practice. We're sitting here, and I'm supposed to be the franchise player, and we're talking about practice. I mean listen, we're sitting here talking about practice, not a game, not a game, not a game, but we're talking about practice. Not the game that I go out there and die for and play every game like it's my last but we're talking about practice man. How silly is that?

PorkRinds

Quote from: hei5manhog on February 08, 2016, 02:22:15 pm
I would say he's probably just being cautious with his 'prediction' if you classify it as such. I mean who really knows after two major knee injuries. I would say the same thing and i've never seen him run.

To me, that's being a prick, not being cautious.  Cautious is "with the injuries he's had, it would be impressive if he ever makes it as a feature back".  Predicting he won't is just an a-hole thing to do. 

hei5manhog

Quote from: PorkRinds on February 08, 2016, 02:23:57 pm
To me, that's being a prick, not being cautious.  Cautious is "with the injuries he's had, it would be impressive if he ever makes it as a feature back".  Predicting he won't is just an a-hole thing to do. 

He's seen him run post surgery and doesn't think he'll be alex collins. Don't think that's being a prick necessarily.

PorkRinds

Quote from: hei5manhog on February 08, 2016, 02:27:11 pm
He's seen him run post surgery and doesn't think he'll be alex collins. Don't think that's being a prick necessarily.

I've seen Trey Biddy do reporting about recruiting and I don't think he'll ever be Richard Davenport.

Hogberry Snortcake

Quote from: hei5manhog on February 08, 2016, 02:27:11 pm

Plenty of feature backs that will never be AC. 

hei5manhog

Quote from: PorkRinds on February 08, 2016, 02:35:28 pm
I've seen Trey Biddy do reporting about recruiting and I don't think he'll ever be Richard Davenport.

Isn't Danny more the recruiting guy? Trey follows it of course, but he covers the team more directly I think. I don't know much about him other than what he says on my drive home from work. I'm not that invested in his reputation lol. I'm partial RD and Dudley and Mike Irwin as journalists/personalities. 

tophawg19

is that like a couple guys being told they would never be good enough for major college football ? their names were Jerry Rice and Walter Payton . you might have heard of them.
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

PORKULATOR

Quote from: The_Iceman on February 08, 2016, 12:29:48 pm
lol...  it took 10 guys blocking on the perfect play call.
Everytime I reach a goal or achieve something new in life, someone's beat me there and wrote f♡€% you all over it - JD Salinger
I've got a fever and the only perscription...  is more cowbell.- THE Bruce Dickenson.

DeltaBoy

I love to see him on the field.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Jackrabbit Hog

I love this kid's name.  Reminds me of the start of a story.  "Juan Day, I was walking through the woods..."
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

RazorPiggie

Quote from: hei5manhog on February 08, 2016, 02:39:12 pm
Isn't Danny more the recruiting guy? Trey follows it of course, but he covers the team more directly I think. I don't know much about him other than what he says on my drive home from work. I'm not that invested in his reputation lol. I'm partial RD and Dudley and Mike Irwin as journalists/personalities. 

Biddy is more of the team reporter for Rivals. DTS is just dumb enough to have him on for a recruiting segment where he doesn't know half the kids names or who they are when callers call in asking questions. I laugh when I listen to him because I know more about recruiting than he does and all I do is read here. Its actually his job to report on recruiting and the team.

KlubhouseKonnected

Sure he wasn't talking about Evans? I heard Biddy give a pretty blunt assessment of Evans in that time frame.

However, has Kody ever been a "feature" back? I doubt many would say so but we were sure lucky to have him last year and I  sure glad we have him for the upcoming season.
If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.

Arthur pigby sellers.

Quote from: RazorPiggie on February 12, 2016, 08:26:37 am
Biddy is more of the team reporter for Rivals. DTS is just dumb enough to have him on for a recruiting segment where he doesn't know half the kids names or who they are when callers call in asking questions. I laugh when I listen to him because I know more about recruiting than he does and all I do is read here. Its actually his job to report on recruiting and the team.
I really like to hear Trey report on the football team, but I agree his recruiting segment is a waste of time.  I have no idea why dts uses him.  He really doesn't even sound interested in reporting on recruiting

redeye

Day had 4 carries for 17 yards against Tennessee-Martin in our 8th game.  Afterwards, Bielema said he wasn't quite ready yet, although I don't think he said why, and Day didn't play the rest of the year.  Those 4 carries are the only time I recall watching him run, but he looked good, imo.  I'm not sure who he resembled most, but James Rouse comes to mind.  He looked much better then I expected and much better then the prognosis everyone seems to have for him, but it was only 4 carries.

Mike_e

Quote from: redeye on February 12, 2016, 04:03:13 pm
Day had 4 carries for 17 yards against Tennessee-Martin in our 8th game.  Afterwards, Bielema said he wasn't quite ready yet, although I don't think he said why, and Day didn't play the rest of the year.  Those 4 carries are the only time I recall watching him run, but he looked good, imo.  I'm not sure who he resembled most, but James Rouse comes to mind.  He looked much better then I expected and much better then the prognosis everyone seems to have for him, but it was only 4 carries.

Are you saying that he Ran like James Rouse or that he is built like James Rouse.

If he runs like James then he is indeed a feature back.
The best "one thing" for a happy life?
Just be the best person that you can manage.  Right Now!

Polecat

Quote from: Arthur pigby sellers. on February 12, 2016, 03:28:52 pm
I really like to hear Trey report on the football team, but I agree his recruiting segment is a waste of time.  I have no idea why dts uses him.  He really doesn't even sound interested in reporting on recruiting

It's funny how half the callers who call in don't understand that Danny West is their lead recruiting guy and that Biddy mostly handles coverage of the football team. But then again, DTS callers aren't the sharpest tools around
Arkansas born and raised. 1999 UA alum

98hogs

Billy Warren ring a bell?

choppedporkextrasauce

Quote from: The_Iceman on February 08, 2016, 12:29:48 pm
and it  is a record that can never be broken.
No one else before or since has done that at Arkansas.

bennyl08

Quote from: KlubhouseKonnected on February 12, 2016, 08:28:20 am
Sure he wasn't talking about Evans? I heard Biddy give a pretty blunt assessment of Evans in that time frame.

However, has Kody ever been a "feature" back? I doubt many would say so but we were sure lucky to have him last year and I  sure glad we have him for the upcoming season.

Kody has been a role playing back for the most part.

You don't have to be a feature back to be useful or important. However, we have been more successful when we do have a back that can do it all. Look at what a difference having Knile made in 2010. 2011 was just as successful without have that feature back overall, but the losses we had were worse. 2010 were were right there with Bama, neck and neck with Auburn and a scooped fumble away from beating OSU. 2011 we didn't have a prayer agains Bama or LSU and beat an overachieving KSU team.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

RedBird5

You obviously haven't met him if you think he is "iddy".  Kind of a big dude

The NewEra

As much as I appreciate Rainwater for what he has accomplished, I think he's been mailing it in for several years now.  Most on Hogville seem to know more about what's going on in the program these days than do Rainwater, Elliott or Rick.

hoglady

Quote from: RazorPiggie on February 12, 2016, 08:26:37 am

Yep- someone called in the other day asked him about Allie Freeman, Jr.
Biddy said he'd never heard of him and didn't know anything about him.
Huh?? An Arkansas media guy whose never heard of Allie Freeman, Jr??
Told me all I needed to know about Biddy.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

woodrow hog call

I don't listen to him every day but even catching it two or three days a week, I have heard him say numerous times that he doesn't follow basketball recruiting, so I don't know how that could tell you everything you need to know about him.
"I hate rude behavior in a man, I won't tolerate it"

hoglady

Quote from: woodrow hog call on February 15, 2016, 08:40:43 am
I don't listen to him every day but even catching it two or three days a week, I have heard him say numerous times that he doesn't follow basketball recruiting, so I don't know how that could tell you everything you need to know about him.

Do you really have to follow basketball recruiting for the name Allie Freeman, Jr to ring a bell?
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."

onebadrubi

Quote from: hoglady on February 15, 2016, 09:04:36 am
Do you really have to follow basketball recruiting for the name Allie Freeman, Jr to ring a bell?

You are being a little harsh considering what has just taken place.  This man's job's busiest part of the year and the entire reason for his services and income are recruiting, well the 2016 class was just completed and signed so he was fully wrapped up in that.  He openly says he does not turn the page to the next year recruits till after signing day unless they are of the top of the class type recruits.  I don't know who allie freeman is, so I googled, he is not rated by any service, 247 does however tell us he is a 5'10"  165lb wr?  By the way this kid is shown to only be on campus once and that was a smaller camp. 

nwahogfan1

Why not?  What opinion has he given that makes you distrust him?  Just curious. 

nwahogfan1

Quote from: hoglady on February 15, 2016, 08:13:07 am
Yep- someone called in the other day asked him about Allie Freeman, Jr.
Biddy said he'd never heard of him and didn't know anything about him.
Huh?? An Arkansas media guy whose never heard of Allie Freeman, Jr??
Told me all I needed to know about Biddy.

Allie Freeman was a nice guard for the Hogs while I hear his son is probable better football.  I am surprised if Biddy said he never heard of Allie but Jr. has really not been rated yet because he probable a tweener.  Have you seen him play?  What position would you play him in College?  What rating would you give Jr at that position?   Is he a high D1, UCA or Arkansas Tech type recruit?

hoglady

Quote from: onebadrubi on February 15, 2016, 09:51:13 am
You are being a little harsh considering what has just taken place.  This man's job's busiest part of the year and the entire reason for his services and income are recruiting, well the 2016 class was just completed and signed so he was fully wrapped up in that.  He openly says he does not turn the page to the next year recruits till after signing day unless they are of the top of the class type recruits.  I don't know who allie freeman is, so I googled, he is not rated by any service, 247 does however tell us he is a 5'10"  165lb wr?  By the way this kid is shown to only be on campus once and that was a smaller camp. 

Good Lord people - his Dad Allie Freeman was a point guard for the Razorbacks during Sutton's last year and Richardson's first 3 years. I would expect any Arkansas media member to recognize the name and know just a little about Freeman, Jr.
Maybe I expect too much.

PorkRinds

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on February 15, 2016, 09:59:04 am

I didn't actually mean that.  I just wanted to point out that I don't trust the opinions of someone who hasn't seen him play much at all.  I have also been waiting to use the "iddy" nickname just because.  Seemed like as good a time as any.

ricepig

Quote from: hoglady on February 15, 2016, 10:15:07 am
Good Lord people - his Dad Allie Freeman was a point guard for the Razorbacks during Sutton's last year and Richardson's first 3 years. I would expect any Arkansas media member to recognize the name and know just a little about Freeman, Jr.
Maybe I expect too much.

Well, if they don't get the LR media, then I can sort of understand not knowing some of the younger, lesser publicized players. Sully loves him, lol, he's always on any highlights he's showing.

The Boar War

Quote from: The NewEra on February 13, 2016, 10:53:56 am
As much as I appreciate Rainwater for what he has accomplished, I think he's been mailing it in for several years now.  Most on Hogville seem to know more about what's going on in the program these days than do Rainwater, Elliott or Rick.

Good Lord.  That show's still on the air.  :)

onebadrubi

Quote from: hoglady on February 15, 2016, 10:15:07 am
Maybe I expect too much.

I heard the segment you are talking about and I just didn't see anything wrong with it.  Biddy was asked about the kid, not the dad.  I see nothing wrong with it and I am numerous records bashing DTS staff often, the only time I ever listen to it is the 5:00-5:30 segment

IronHog

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on February 15, 2016, 09:59:04 am

Biddy is among the best of Arkansas media on actual football knowledge.....
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

hoglady

Quote from: onebadrubi on February 15, 2016, 11:18:59 am
I heard the segment you are talking about and I just didn't see anything wrong with it.  Biddy was asked about the kid, not the dad.  I see nothing wrong with it and I am numerous records bashing DTS staff often, the only time I ever listen to it is the 5:00-5:30 segment

I was more surprised he acted like he didn't know who he even was, not that he didn't know details about him.
I expected that Trey would at least acknowledge he was the son of ex-Hog Allie Freeman.

jackflash

He one of the few Arkansas recruits I got to see play in high school. I was impressed if he healthy he can play

Biggus Piggus

Why the hell would Biddy ever say something like that? Day is still recovering. He really has a chance to improve as he gets healthier. Biddy is an idiot.
[CENSORED]!

AirWarren

Biddy is just another shoe shiner.

One thing that made me laugh last week was when he was talking about the new RB coach. He said, "I honestly think we made a great running back coach hire that can also recruit. You can't tell though, because Kansas has had poor recruiting classes and hasn't been a good program in some time now."

Ha. Shoe shiner. I can't tell you how many times biddy has talked up a player and that player turn out to be non existent to the team. Jo jo Robinson was one. He is doing his job. Shoe shining and never critique.