Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Levi's/Super Bowl 2016 stadium 100% Arkansas-made steel

Started by OPoraquê, February 06, 2016, 04:30:49 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

OPoraquê

"And Super Bowl 50 may be the most American of all NFL championships, in part because of the place where it will be played. That's because Levi's Stadium was constructed using nearly all American manufactured and fabricated steel.

"I don't have an exact number, but the steel is pretty close to 100 percent American made," said Tim Salak, the project manager for SME Steel Contractors.  "All of the major structural steel – rolled sections, wide flanges and channel — came out of Nucor in Blytheville, Arkansas.

"There was no Buy America clause for this project, but Nucor-Yamato in Arkansas is where we received all of the milled steel. That's where we get the majority of our steel for every project."

http://www.americanmanufacturing.org/blog/entry/the-super-bowl-will-be-american-made

(Gov. Hutchinson said this past week before the Cabot C of C that Mississippi County, AR is about to become the #1 steel-producing county in America (when Big River Steel finally opens).  Flat out amazing, if true.)

Buff

Boardon Hamsay

Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.

cc

Glad that we got some new industry in the state.  More jobs and more diversified jobs.  I love all the ag jobs since that is my area but more industry helps everyone.

onebadrubi

Nucor has long been a massive steel producer in the state. We also have a couple good sized companies in central Ar and one being a major donor to the Razorbacks.  Tom Schueck, owner of lexicon. 

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: onebadrubi on February 07, 2016, 08:52:57 am
Nucor has long been a massive steel producer in the state. We also have a couple good sized companies in central Ar and one being a major donor to the Razorbacks.  Tom Schueck, owner of lexicon. 

I worked in Blytheville when Nucor was being built. They needed those jobs badly. The whole Delta area does.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Hoggish1

Chivas

Awesome news. Hope Hutchinson does whatever is needed to lock up more steel business for the state.

ricepig

Quote from: Chivas on February 07, 2016, 10:39:33 am
Awesome news. Hope Hutchinson does whatever is needed to lock up more steel business for the state.

I don't think the governor is going to have much say in who buys Nucor's, or The Big River's output.

scruf

Quote from: cc on February 06, 2016, 09:02:24 pm
Glad that we got some new industry in the state.  More jobs and more diversified jobs.  I love all the ag jobs since that is my area but more industry helps everyone.

Totally agree.

LZH

I saw a segment on Good Morning America that mentioned the steel being produced in Arkansas. I didn't know it was in Blytheville. I do remember that the town almost dried up and blew away when the Air Force Base closed there years ago. It's good to see them back on their feet.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: LZH on February 07, 2016, 11:20:35 am
I saw a segment on Good Morning America that mentioned the steel being produced in Arkansas. I didn't know it was in Blytheville. I do remember that the town almost dried up and blew away when the Air Force Base closed there years ago. It's good to see them back on their feet.

They're not totally back on their feet but it has gotten a lot better.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

LZH

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on February 07, 2016, 11:30:10 am

Well, relatively speaking. You could pretty much draw a line from Blytheville to Lonoke to Pine Bluff to El Dorado, and I am not sure that any town east of that line will ever be what they once were. That has a lot to do with why I am in Florida right now.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: LZH on February 07, 2016, 11:34:57 am
Well, relatively speaking. You could pretty much draw a line from Blytheville to Lonoke to Pine Bluff to El Dorado, and I am not sure that any town east of that line will ever be what they once were. That has a lot to do with why I am in Florida right now.

Yep. Times changed with mechanization of agriculture. The Delta no longer needs a lot of [people to farm. Therefore only new industries and such can provide jobs. That is a tough thing to compete with other areas for.

ricepig

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on February 07, 2016, 11:30:10 am

I wouldn't be surprised if Blytheville doesn't lead the state in murders per capita, it's been rough over there lately.

onebadrubi

Quote from: ricepig on February 07, 2016, 11:52:18 am
I wouldn't be surprised if Blytheville doesn't lead the state in murders per capita, it's been rough over there lately.

Crime Bluff will not want to lose that title.

NEA_HogFan

Nucor Yamato is the largest structural steel mill in the Western Hemisphere. There is also the Nucor Hickman plant in Blytheville which produces flat rolled steel. Mississippi County produces more steel than anywhere in the country. There is a brand new mill being built in Osceola right now.

NEA_HogFan

Quote from: cc on February 06, 2016, 09:02:24 pm

Nm

NEA_HogFan

Quote from: onebadrubi on February 07, 2016, 08:52:57 am

I used to work at one of the 3 companies he owns in Blytheville. I met him when he came down to the plant one time.  I mentioned that I saw him at the Tennessee game when they honored him before the game. He told me that anytime I wanted to go to a game to call and ask for the suite tickets. He's a pretty cool guy.

OPoraquê

Quote from: ricepig on February 07, 2016, 10:42:57 am
I don't think the governor is going to have much say in who buys Nucor's, or The Big River's output.

Party pooper.  ;)

(Just kidding as you're right as usual...it's still amazing to think Mississippi County is where Pittsburgh and Chicago (or more likely, Gary/Hammond) used to be in the production of this commodity.)

Hog N Bama

What Arkansas needs is a couple of auto plants.  Alabama has 3 and you want to talk about some good jobs and lots of 'em. Pays a lot of bills.

ricepig

Quote from: Hog N Bama on February 07, 2016, 07:50:34 pm
What Arkansas needs is a couple of auto plants. Alabama has 3 and you want to talk about some good jobs and lots of 'em. Pays a lot of bills.

We can't beat the incentives Bama, TN, and others give them.

Sow Lancelot

And why I'm in Kentucky
"Nec vitia nostra nec remedium tolerare possumus." Livy
Nihil boni sine labore, sic vis pacem, para bellum.

NEA_HogFan

What Arkansas needs is a couple of auto plants.  Alabama has 3 and you want to talk about some good jobs and lots of 'em. Pays a lot of bills.

Average Salary at the new Big River Steel plant will be $75,000. And that's for production workers.

onebadrubi

Quote from: NEA_HogFan on February 07, 2016, 04:40:41 pm
I used to work at one of the 3 companies he owns in Blytheville. I met him when he came down to the plant one time.  I mentioned that I saw him at the Tennessee game when they honored him before the game. He told me that anytime I wanted to go to a game to call and ask for the suite tickets. He's a pretty cool guy.

He's a very nice down to earth guy all while being one of richer men in Arkansas.  That doesn't suprise me at all

onebadrubi

Mississippi has better auto mnfg than Bama I'm pretty sure...

NaturalStateReb

Nucor actually has two mills in Mississippi County:  a hot-roll mill in Hickman and a cold-roll plant in Armorel. They're both very impressive.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

Tejano Jawg

Great post, OP. Amazing what you can learn on Hogville when everyone's not having a pissing match over recruiting rankings and off-site stadiums.
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

SamBuckhart

I enjoy NWA since retirement. Four seasons, you know. Steel industry in Ar has helped many related companies. Contractors, supply houses , etc. Many that are Ar based.
BE TRUE TO YOUR SCHOOL. THE UNIVERSITY OF ARKANSAS!!!  WOOO PIG!!!

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: NEA_HogFan on February 07, 2016, 04:40:41 pm

Known Tom for over 20 years; been to the Amorel plant a few times.  Tom's a very generous man.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

Jackrabbit Hog

You speak with reverence when you mention God's country, buster!     >:(
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

DeltaBoy

I remember us discussing the over on FF years ago.   Glad to here it finally got build and is turning out quality steel.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

OPoraquê

(BTW, thank you, Tejano Jawg.)

In a way, you could say the same thing of the towns west of that line as well, particularly in central and northwest Arkansas.

Don't want to get into a putdown of any part of the state.  But I'm very glad that this has happened in what was a depressed corner of it.  I'm not ceasing to be amazed at what's taking place in Arkansas now.  (And on a totally different note (no pun intended) I'd add to that the fact of seeing, within the space of less than a chronological year: A) some recent Ouachita Baptist University grads making it to NYC with "America's Got Talent" (though they didn't last long) ; B) OBU grad Barrett Baber making #3 in "The Voice" in December, and; C) that kid who's a junior at Bentonville High as well as the son of two OBU grads being in the top 24 right now for "American Idol".  But would be for a different thread that I'm not interested in starting.  :) )

This is not our father's Arkansas.  It's not even our older brother's Arkansas at times. :o

Seminole Indian

"OSCEOLA, Ark. -- Hundreds of high-paying jobs are heading to Mississippi County, Ark.

Work has officially started  on a $1.3 billion steel mill south of Osceola."

http://wreg.com/2014/09/22/groundbreaking-for-big-river-steel-mill-in-osceola-hundreds-of-new-jobs-coming/

"In truth, knowledge is a great and very useful quality; those who despise it give evidence enough of their stupidity. Yet I do not set its value at that extreme measure that some attribute to it." - Michel de Montaigne

DeltaBoy

Quote from: Seminole Indian on February 09, 2016, 11:16:43 am
"OSCEOLA, Ark. -- Hundreds of high-paying jobs are heading to Mississippi County, Ark.

Work has officially started  on a $1.3 billion steel mill south of Osceola."

http://wreg.com/2014/09/22/groundbreaking-for-big-river-steel-mill-in-osceola-hundreds-of-new-jobs-coming/

Good news for NEA!
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.