Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Kody Walker

Started by Georgeofthejungle, February 05, 2016, 10:58:08 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Georgeofthejungle

Not sure if it has been discussed on here, but with Kody Walker projecting to be one of our feature backs next year, does anyone think he could possibly slim him down a little? I know he's naturally a bigger back, but wanted to get some opinions on him possibly playing at "around" 235? He had some really good moments this past season, and I like his potential in 2016 being a little quicker. 

PorkRinds

No.  I think we will use him as the bruiser, RWIII as the workhorse, and Whaley sprinkled in for good measure.  I don't think KW's role will change, he will just likely get more carries.

The NewEra

Kody has said before he likes the way he feels at his current weight.  I don't see him changing that.

Cinco de Hogo

All depends on how bad he wants drafted and how bad CBB wants another RB drafted.

bennyl08

If he were to slim down, it would likely only be to the 245 range. Pretty sure his entire time here has been above 240. Losing weight doesn't automatically make somebody faster. In fact, gaining weight improve your speed and acceleration.

As a player, you have to find that optimal level. Where do you maximize your strength and speed? Given that most of his career here has been tailback instead of FB, and he has never been that low, I'm guessing he isn't any faster at that weight, but he is weaker.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

atekido

Kody actually is not that slow and is pretty agile.  he is nothing like what eddie "lazy" has become or what happened to felix jones.    if RWIII is healthy and is able to play it will be a perfect thunder and lightning combo.

jgphillips3

Has Kody officially decided to come back?  That would be huge (no pun intended).  I know for family considerations he was considering walking away but never heard if had decided either way.  He ran far better at the end of this year than I thought he could.  One more season could at least get him a FA look one would think.

bennyl08

Quote from: atekido on February 05, 2016, 12:37:55 pm
Kody actually is not that slow and is pretty agile.  he is nothing like what eddie "lazy" has become or what happened to felix jones.    if RWIII is healthy and is able to play it will be a perfect thunder and lightning combo.

I wouldn't call him fast, but his is very quick and agile, surprisingly so for a guy his size as well.
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

bennyl08

Quote from: jgphillips3 on February 05, 2016, 12:46:42 pm
Has Kody officially decided to come back?  That would be huge (no pun intended).  I know for family considerations he was considering walking away but never heard if had decided either way.  He ran far better at the end of this year than I thought he could.  One more season could at least get him a FA look one would think.

A good while ago it was official he is coming back.

gmarv

Quote from: jgphillips3 on February 05, 2016, 12:46:42 pm
yes he has its been out for a while now that he has decided to come back.

Fatmanhog

Kody is a big dude. Not sure why anyone would want him to slim down and lose muscle because its not like he is chubby with fat. He will be fine at his weight. Here's hoping he can get to the NFL for a few years and give his family a great start in life.
to nutt or not to nutt, thats not even a question any more.

POST 1475 OF I JUST STEVEN HILL...
Quote from: alohawg on October 26, 2009, 03:44:04 PM
I think his comes naturally, hermaphrodite??? A new nickname maybe, 'the mighty hermaphrodity'

The Hermaphronutt

ChitownHawg

DW will be getting a lot of carries - just like AC did his freshman year. Both of them were top backs in the country. Our other backs dont have their credentials.

Doesn't mean they cannot grow into being as good - JWill sure did.

I think KW will be JWill and DW will be AC. Listening to CBB talk about RW I have a feeling they are going to integrate him back into playing time very slowly.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

bennyl08

Quote from: ChitownHawg on February 05, 2016, 12:53:51 pm
DW will be getting a lot of carries - just like AC did his freshman year. Both of them were top backs in the country. Our other backs dont have their credentials.

Doesn't mean they cannot grow into being as good - JWill sure did.

I think KW will be JWill and DW will be AC. Listening to CBB talk about RW I have a feeling they are going to integrate him back into playing time very slowly.

JWill didn't grow into being good. He came in very good as a freshmen, he just had to compete with Dennis Johnson and Knile Davis. When Collins came in, he only had one back who wasn't a senior but a true sophomore ahead of him on the depth chart.

Whaley coming in has a RS RS senior and a true sophomore ahead of him. I think he will eventually become 1a/1b with RW3, but he will be behind Walker game 1. Recall Collins and JWill's first seasons as THE guy. We couldn't sustain drives or punch it in the endzone. Some of that was on them because they were both green and inexperienced.

Polecat

If he is as good as advertised, I expect Whaley to get the most carries by the mid-way point of the year at least.
Arkansas born and raised. 1999 UA alum

rhames

Quote from: Polecat on February 05, 2016, 02:03:24 pm
If he is as good as advertised, I expect Whaley to get the most carries by the mid-way point of the year at least.

He will get the most carries from day one.
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

logand02

Quote from: rhames on February 05, 2016, 03:34:29 pm

Don't see this being the case

Polecat

You might be right. We shall see
Arkansas born and raised. 1999 UA alum

rhames

Not a knock on walker at all. He just will be the 2nd or third back depending on Williams's health.

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: bennyl08 on February 05, 2016, 02:00:03 pm
JWill didn't grow into being good. He came in very good as a freshmen, he just had to compete with Dennis Johnson and Knile Davis. When Collins came in, he only had one back who wasn't a senior but a true sophomore ahead of him on the depth chart.

Whaley coming in has a RS RS senior and a true sophomore ahead of him. I think he will eventually become 1a/1b with RW3, but he will be behind Walker game 1. Recall Collins and JWill's first seasons as THE guy. We couldn't sustain drives or punch it in the endzone. Some of that was on them because they were both green and inexperienced.

I don't believe I said DW would get more carries than KW. Also part of the running issues you speak of can be attributed to no passing attack.

I will be surprised in RW is ready by Fall. And the others won't beat out DW - simply too talented. You get him on the field like AC and take your knocks as you will not get four years out of him. By his junior year he will be heading to the draft.

Not quite as loaded as the QBs, but there is deep talent at the RB position. Now let's see who is hungry for some carries.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

husker71

actually he looks a little thin to me       signed George Woodard  Texas A&M

jgphillips3

Quote from: bennyl08 on February 05, 2016, 12:47:49 pm
A good while ago it was official he is coming back.

Thanks.  I knew it had been out for a while that he could come back, but I remember over the holidays there being some discussion that he was still pondering it.  I must have just missed it in all the recruiting chaos.

Pig In The City

Gonna be CBs sorry to see him in the secondary next year.

RaisinHog

Cbb acted like walker coming back was never a question I remember him saying after the bowl game in a presser " when I told kody he had been granted another year his eyes lit up and he had a big ol smile he was very happy"

atekido

Not even close... can guarantee you that.

rwspear

I'm not sure he will be ready to pick up SEC blitzes from day one, so I'd say that's pretty doubtful. Plus that's really not BB's style.

Cure

More than likely.
Team Economics
From Keynes to Friedman, we know what's up.

pigture perfect

I just hope he stays healthy. As well as RWIII. Will Juan Day be ready to make noise?
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

rhames

Quote from: rwspear on February 06, 2016, 12:20:53 am
I'm not sure he will be ready to pick up SEC blitzes from day one, so I'd say that's pretty doubtful. Plus that's really not BB's style.

Luckily we don't play an sec game right of the bat. As for bb's style, how many carries did Collins get in 2013? He and Johnathan were 1a and 1b.

We didn't bring Whaley in to sit and learn we brought him in to replace alex Collins. It will be the Whaley and Williams show depending on Williams's health.

Walker will be an asset for sure but it will be one in the role it has always been.

hawgXi

most every spring game I can remember KW playing in, it seemed like a real Hoss

to me, it seemed he was always getting 6-8 ypc and it seemed like it took 6-8 guys to tackle him.

wondered why he never got more carries during the season

rhames

Quote from: hawgXi on February 06, 2016, 09:11:06 am
most every spring game I can remember KW playing in, it seemed like a real Hoss

to me, it seemed he was always getting 6-8 ypc and it seemed like it took 6-8 guys to tackle him.

wondered why he never got more carries during the season

There answer to your question is in the 3rd and 4th words of your sentence

hawgwild child

I wish Kody had more of that bruiser mentality, seems a lot last year he would try to make a juke or cut and get tripped up rather than just taking on contact.  I really hope this is his year to finally showcase it all

ChitownHawg

Quote from: hawgwild child on February 06, 2016, 04:04:26 pm
I wish Kody had more of that bruiser mentality, seems a lot last year he would try to make a juke or cut and get tripped up rather than just taking on contact.  I really hope this is his year to finally showcase it all

Probably has to do with his history of injuries. That would make anyone hesitant to take on contact.

hawgXi

Quote from: rhames on February 06, 2016, 09:15:22 am

There answer to your question is in the 3rd and 4th words of your sentence

you're right.  KW did miss two seasons with medical redshirts

The NewEra

People should remember Bielema's attitude toward ALL freshmen.  Ease them into the SEC.  Don't make the mistake of getting them beaten up too much too fast.  He used that philosophy with Collins, Kirkland, Skipper, Henry and Ellis to mention a few.  I see Walker getting a lot of carries early in the season.  If RWIII is full go he may get the most after Walker, but I get the feeling B is going to be ultra conservative with RWIII.  Then you have Hammmond who will be playing next year and Juan Day is going to be given a shot.  It will be interesting to see this play out, but I don't see any freshman coming in and getting carries like they are a proven SEC talent, at least not to start with.  This will be interesting to watch play out, but history tells you to expect Walker to have a major role.  Bielema likes to rely on his Seniors.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: The NewEra on February 07, 2016, 09:15:15 am
People should remember Bielema's attitude toward ALL freshmen.  Ease them into the SEC.  Don't make the mistake of getting them beaten up too much too fast.  He used that philosophy with Collins, Kirkland, Skipper, Henry and Ellis to mention a few.  I see Walker getting a lot of carries early in the season.  If RWIII is full go he may get the most after Walker, but I get the feeling B is going to be ultra conservative with RWIII.  Then you have Hammmond who will be playing next year and Juan Day is going to be given a shot.  It will be interesting to see this play out, but I don't see any freshman coming in and getting carries like they are a proven SEC talent, at least not to start with.  This will be interesting to watch play out, but history tells you to expect Walker to have a major role.  Bielema likes to rely on his Seniors.

How soon and how much Whaley plays will be determined by his ability to grasp the offense, the calls, the audibles, hitting a hole without hesitation, securing the football and his ability to block for both run and pass. I think that everyone realizes how much potential the kid has, but he has to be able to do everything that is expected of an Arkansas RB before he sees the field to any great extent. That's JMO. That could be earlier or it could be later but that is largely up to him.
Go Hogs Go!

rhames

They wanted to sign a rb that would come in and play right away. That's why they put all their effort into getting Whaley or white. If Whaley doesn't come in ready to go from day one the coaches were wrong on their evaluation of what he was going to contribute. I don't see that being the case.

rhames

Didn't Kirkland and skipper start their first ever sec game?

Pretty sure Collins  (he and Williams were both starters) and Henry did too

It was against a&m in 2013

The NewEra

Quote from: rhames on February 07, 2016, 09:55:02 am

Rhames, I'm not sure the exact games these guys actually started.  My point was in every case they were eased into the lineup.  Collins got fewer carries early in the season than he did later.  In Henry's case I believe he also played fewer snaps early on than at the end of the year.  Henry was the closest they had to a guy who was SEC ready from day one, but his learning curve was blocking those big SEC guys.

It will be a grooming process and our studs will see much more playing time later in the year than they do early.  At least that's my belief.

ricepig

Quote from: rhames on February 07, 2016, 09:55:02 am

Yep, they had 4 games to ease in to the starting line-up.  Although AC had 25 carries against Southern Miss, and 172 yards against Samford, both season highs. He ended up with 190 carries, compared to 150 for JWill.

rhames

Easing into the starting lineup and easing into the sec are two different statements in my opinion.

rhames

Quote from: ricepig on February 07, 2016, 10:12:51 am
Yep, they had 4 games to ease in to the starting line-up.  Although AC had 25 carries against Southern Miss, and 172 yards against Samford, both season highs. He ended up with 190 carries, compared to 150 for JWill.

This will be how they use Whaley in my opinion

ChitownHawg

People should remember Bielema's attitude toward ALL freshmen.  Ease them into the SEC.  Don't make the mistake of getting them beaten up too much too fast.  He used that philosophy with Collins, Kirkland, Skipper, Henry and Ellis to mention a few. I see Walker getting a lot of carries early in the season.  If RWIII is full go he may get the most after Walker, but I get the feeling B is going to be ultra conservative with RWIII.  Then you have Hammmond who will be playing next year and Juan Day is going to be given a shot.  It will be interesting to see this play out, but I don't see any freshman coming in and getting carries like they are a proven SEC talent, at least not to start with.  This will be interesting to watch play out, but history tells you to expect Walker to have a major role.  Bielema likes to rely on his Seniors.

Is this sarcasm? As it sure isn't from watching these Hogs play as freshmen.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: The NewEra on February 07, 2016, 10:06:22 am
Rhames, I'm not sure the exact games these guys actually started.  My point was in every case they were eased into the lineup.  Collins got fewer carries early in the season than he did later.  In Henry's case I believe he also played fewer snaps early on than at the end of the year.  Henry was the closest they had to a guy who was SEC ready from day one, but his learning curve was blocking those big SEC guys.

It will be a grooming process and our studs will see much more playing time later in the year than they do early.  At least that's my belief.

All you have to do is check his stats. Here they are and he was playing from the 1st game.

http://www.arkansasrazorbacks.com/roster/alex-collins/

Same for Kirkland as he played from game 1:

http://www.arkansasrazorbacks.com/roster/denver-kirkland/

ricepig

Quote from: rhames on February 07, 2016, 10:24:47 am

This will be how they use Whaley in my opinion

It depends on RWIII's health, I don't think they will put him in for 20 carries against LTU. If he's healthy, Whaley, Walker, and he will share 30 something carries, split up depending on production. I think Walker will fill both the FB and RB role, he's versatile enough, and adds both the running and receiving aspect out of the FB position.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: rhames on February 07, 2016, 10:23:06 am
Easing into the starting lineup and easing into the sec are two different statements in my opinion.

They are two different things. Anyone watching the Hogs since CBB came here and listen to any of his 2015 post season pressers would know he was recruiting some to begin playing immediately. DW was especially one of the ones to get playing time.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: ricepig on February 07, 2016, 10:41:04 am
It depends on RWIII's health, I don't think they will put him in for 20 carries against LTU. If he's healthy, Whaley, Walker, and he will share 30 something carries, split up depending on production. I think Walker will fill both the FB and RB role, he's versatile enough, and adds both the running and receiving aspect out of the FB position.

I think RWIII will probably get the least carries of the three RBs as I feel CBB is going to go slowly with him. Some need to realize how serious the injury was. His football career was almost over.

ricepig

Quote from: ChitownHawg on February 07, 2016, 10:45:28 am
I think RWIII will probably get the least carries of the three RBs as I feel CBB is going to go slowly with him. Some need to realize how serious the injury was. His football career was almost over.

I agree, I've mentioned it before, but one of my son's teammates had the same injury and surgery as a Sr in high school. It was a while before he could turn his head from side to side without moving his shoulder in those directions.

The NewEra

Quote from: ricepig on February 07, 2016, 10:48:58 am
I agree, I've mentioned it before, but one of my son's teammates had the same injury and surgery as a Sr in high school. It was a while before he could turn his head from side to side without moving his shoulder in those directions.

What exactly was the surgery RWIII had Rice?  I never did hear if it was a spinal fracture or what.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: ricepig on February 07, 2016, 10:48:58 am

The card that trumps all coaches and doctors' decision for him to play is the Mom card! CBB was clear mom has been actively involved in her son's rehab and getting second opinions. With CBB's concern for all of his players and mom - RWIII's return may be a bit slow.

Which is the correct call as there is plenty of football left in this young man's career if rushing him back to the field doesn't happen.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: The NewEra on February 07, 2016, 10:51:15 am
What exactly was the surgery RWIII had Rice?  I never did hear if it was a spinal fracture or what.

CBB once said he would leave it up to the family to comment on the type of injury beyond the neck. I am not sure if the details were ever given. I just know at one press right after the injury CBB said returning to football was not the primary concern at the moment.

That left me with the feeling it was very serious. Maybe someone else picked up on a more detailed diagnosis.