Started by kp72204, February 04, 2016, 11:01:34 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

PorkRinds

Bagmen.  Lots and lots of bag men. 

IronHog

Quote from: PorkRinds on February 05, 2016, 12:30:13 pm
Bagmen.  Lots and lots of bag men. 

Not true.

Charlie Strong coulda recruited to UA......UA woulda never hired him though.
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

atekido

Fixing the horrible coaching philosophies in Arkansas High School football would net us the greatest  help.  As I have said before,  Arkansas High schools specifically little rock and North have strayed away from kids knowing and being used to playing physical football.  They are all playing west coast, run n shoot, air raid, HUNH schemes.  That does not fit the philosophy of the Razorbacks heck even with Petrino it left a gaping whole called Defense or any time we played a physical team.  It hurts the Razorbacks when the in state recruit are not taught the same philosophy.  It forces Arkansas to look outside the state to fill some holes or forces Arkansas to take in state recruits who do not match what we need. 

HiggiePiggy

Location, winning, and the hardest part on fans is time.   Our location isn't going to change so we have to hope our coach can continue to progress as he has done in his first 3 years.  If he gets up to winning 8 to 10 games a year consistently then recruiting will start getting better. 
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

Wildhog

Winning.
Sending out more offers.
Winning.
Hiring some stud recruiters.
Winning.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

Hawgar The Horrible

You can't fix geography and demographics. For all practical purposes the University of Arkansas is not even in the SEC footprint nor does it share the wealth of talent.

To recruit as well as we do on a national level is honestly quite impressive. But when compared to the SEC its like admiring your newly constructed $650k home sitting among those selling for $2 million and up. Welcome to feeling like the poorest rich dude on the block.
There are fans and there are supporters. The latter carries the weight.

ricepig

Quote from: Wildhog on February 05, 2016, 12:35:06 pm
Winning.
Sending out more offers.
Winning.
Hiring some stud recruiters.
Winning.

Which the most important part is winning.

BallHog1

Quote from: UAfanatic on February 05, 2016, 09:15:55 am
More than Arkansas got from the whole state this year.

Tyler Wilson (2008)—Football player; starting quarterback for Arkansas Razorbacks; led Greenwood to three consecutive state football titles (2005–07)
    Drew Morgan - Arkansas Razorback Football Player.
    Lucas Miller - Arkansas Razorback Football Player.
    Adam McFain - Arkansas Razorback Football Player.
    Spencer Harris- Illinois Fighting Illini football player.
    Jabe Burgess-Tulsa Golden Hurricane football player.

And it looks like another Morgan is a walk-on this year at the UofA
Thanks. I was trying to think of any before Tyler. Seems like he started a trend.

Wildhog

Quote from: ricepig on February 05, 2016, 12:37:15 pm
Which the most important part is winning.

You gotta ask yourself, why does Nick Saban put an emphasis on hiring proven, established recruiters?  People always say that Bama recruits itself, but that hasn't changed Saban's approach to hires.  He hires the best recruiters he can find.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Pork Twain

Quote from: Wildhog on February 05, 2016, 12:40:41 pm
You gotta ask yourself, why does Nick Saban put an emphasis on hiring proven, established recruiters?  People always say that Bama recruits itself, but that hasn't changed Saban's approach to hires.  He hires the best recruiters he can find.
Saban hires whoever he wants.  Saban and Bama recruit themselves and we cannot all be Bama.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Wildhog

Quote from: Pork Twain on February 05, 2016, 12:50:30 pm
Saban hires whoever he wants.  Saban and Bama recruit themselves.

...lol, okay.  So he puts a ton of emphasis on hiring proven recruiters for nothing?
1909/1964/1965/1977

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: DeltaBoy on February 05, 2016, 08:59:38 am
A major influx of Cash into the LR School System with a systematic plan to rebuild the Football Programs in their and Pulaski County Schools.

Cursed be Federal Henry Woods.
While we're at it then let's certainly not overlook the real "blood sucker" that has played the part of Dracula for the past 10+ plus years and helped continue "stirring the pot" when it comes to stability in the LRSD. That would be the Johnny Cockrill (sp) "wanna be" also known as one John Walker. Heck, the guy has used the district as his own piggy back and check book; he's go the talent to suck juice out of a tried up prune or raisin and still want more, more, more......

hogsanity

Quote from: Pork Twain on February 05, 2016, 12:23:21 pm
Problem you will run into in many cases though are the logistics of consolidation.  Where I grew up in North Central AR, there are not a lot of options for consolidating.  Take Mammoth Spring for instance, no football team, but it is quite a drive to either Salem or Highland for a consolidation to make sense and then you also have to get the voters to sign off on it.  This would be the case for all of the 1A schools.

http://www.maxpreps.com/state/basketball/arkansas.htm
http://www.maxpreps.com/state/football/arkansas.htm

What about hybrid consolidation? I know here in Sebastian Cty, Hartford kids who want to play football play for hacket, yet they have their own basketball and baseball teams.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Wildhog

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2015/01/tosh_lupoi_was_a_recruiting_fo.html

Last year, Saban brought in Tosh Lupoi (Rivals' 2010 national recruiter of the year), AS AN INTERN. 

He's since moved to LB coach, but that's just insane.
1909/1964/1965/1977

ricepig

Quote from: Pork Twain on February 05, 2016, 12:50:30 pm
Saban hires whoever he wants.  Saban and Bama recruit themselves and we cannot all be Bama.
Quote from: Wildhog on February 05, 2016, 12:40:41 pm

So, you're saying he doesn't care about getting along with his staff, or hiring good coaches, that he only looks for recruiters?

IMO, a HC needs to hire what feels comfortable with. If it doesn't work out, he'll be looking for a new job. Wasn't Shannon suppose to be an "Ace" recruiter, how did he do overall at Arkansas?

ricepig

Quote from: Wildhog on February 05, 2016, 12:54:13 pm
http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2015/01/tosh_lupoi_was_a_recruiting_fo.html

Last year, Saban brought in Tosh Lupoi (Rivals' 2010 national recruiter of the year), AS AN INTERN. 

He's since moved to LB coach, but that's just insane.

We don't have the money Bama does, fact. Now, if some of these "fans" of ours would buy tickets, donate to the RF, maybe we could hire some more "analysts".

Wildhog

Quote from: ricepig on February 05, 2016, 12:54:15 pm
So, you're saying he doesn't care about getting along with his staff, or hiring good coaches, that he only looks for recruiters?

IMO, a HC needs to hire what feels comfortable with. If it doesn't work out, he'll be looking for a new job. Wasn't Shannon suppose to be an "Ace" recruiter, how did he do overall at Arkansas?

I'm sure that he cares about those things, but he won't hire someone that's not a good recruiter.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Wildhog

Quote from: ricepig on February 05, 2016, 12:56:04 pm
We don't have the money Bama does, fact. Now, if some of these "fans" of ours would buy tickets, donate to the RF, maybe we could hire some more "analysts".

That doesn't change the point.  I hope your argument isn't "Arkansas is too poor to hire recruiters."
1909/1964/1965/1977

ricepig

Quote from: Wildhog on February 05, 2016, 12:56:52 pm
I'm sure that he cares about those things, but he won't hire someone that's not a good recruiter.

As was mentioned above, we aren't Bama, and in the same line of thinking, Bielema isn't Saban.

ricepig

Quote from: Wildhog on February 05, 2016, 12:58:17 pm
That doesn't change the point.  I hope your argument isn't "Arkansas is too poor to hire recruiters."

Sure it does, compare our staff salaries with Bama, LSU, and Auburn.

Wildhog

Quote from: ricepig on February 05, 2016, 01:00:17 pm
Sure it does, compare our staff salaries with Bama, LSU, and Auburn.

There are plenty of good recruiters out there that we can afford. 

Terrible argument.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Wildhog

And last I recall, we were one of the very few programs in the country that doesn't operate in the red.
1909/1964/1965/1977

ricepig

Quote from: Wildhog on February 05, 2016, 01:04:40 pm
And last I recall, we were one of the very few programs in the country that doesn't operate in the red.

Because we don't have a $5.5m assistant coaching staff, we have a $3.5m one.

Wildhog

Quote from: ricepig on February 05, 2016, 01:06:37 pm
Because we don't have a $5.5m assistant coaching staff, we have a $3.5m one.

The money argument against recruiting just doesn't fly.  Sorry.  I'm sure it makes you feel better, and I get where you're coming from, but it's just not true.
1909/1964/1965/1977

ricepig

Quote from: Wildhog on February 05, 2016, 01:02:45 pm
There are plenty of good recruiters out there that we can afford. 

Terrible argument.

Terrible argument, again, you're only thinking in terms of recruiting, not what the HC wants as far as staff cohesion.

ricepig

Quote from: Wildhog on February 05, 2016, 01:07:43 pm
The money argument against recruiting just doesn't fly.  Sorry.  I'm sure it makes you feel better, but it's just not true.

Sorry, your thinking it's as simple as hiring a recruiter for the same money doesn't fly. I 'm sure you think it's a simple answer and makes you feel better as well.

Wildhog

Quote from: ricepig on February 05, 2016, 01:08:02 pm
Terrible argument, again, you're only thinking in terms of recruiting, not what the HC wants as far as staff cohesion.

You think Nick Saban and Lane Kiffin are "cohesive?"

Hell no, but they just won a title.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Wildhog

Quote from: ricepig on February 05, 2016, 01:09:43 pm
Sorry, your thinking it's as simple as hiring a recruiter for the same money doesn't fly. I 'm sure you think it's a simple answer and makes you feel better as well.

If there weren't great recruiters out there making less than what we're paying our assistants, you'd have a point. But again, it just doesn't fly.
1909/1964/1965/1977

ricepig

Quote from: Wildhog on February 05, 2016, 01:11:50 pm
If there weren't great recruiters out there making less than what we're paying our assistants, you'd have a point. But again, it just doesn't fly.

That wish to work here, or for us?

ricepig

Quote from: Wildhog on February 05, 2016, 01:11:05 pm
You think Nick Saban and Lane Kiffin are "cohesive?"

Hell no, but they just won a title.

Well, we ain't Bama, but you already know that.

Wildhog

Quote from: ricepig on February 05, 2016, 01:12:47 pm
That wish to work here, or for us?

Are you saying CBB can't attract assistants?  So now we're too broke to hire good recruiters and they don't want to work for us, anyway.  That's fantastic.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Wildhog

Quote from: ricepig on February 05, 2016, 01:14:05 pm
Well, we ain't Bama, but you already know that.

You were just talking about cohesion.  You think Saban and Kiffin are a good "fit?"  You think they're buddies?
1909/1964/1965/1977

ricepig

Quote from: Wildhog on February 05, 2016, 01:15:01 pm
Are you saying CBB can't attract assistants?  So now we're too broke to hire good recruiters and they don't want to work for us, anyway.  That's fantastic.

You tell me, why haven't we hired your "star" recruiter?

Wildhog

Quote from: ricepig on February 05, 2016, 01:16:43 pm
You tell me, why haven't we hired your "star" recruiter?

Because CBB doesn't seem to put a lot of emphasis on it when making his hires. He's looking for a good coach that he thinks will mesh with the staff, personality-wise.  It's a bit of a different approach for the SEC-W, and maybe it'll work.  I guess we'll find out.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Biggus Piggus

Arkansas evaluates very well - just needs to get a little more realism in the decisionmaking process. They cannot afford to move as slowly as they do, deciding when to offer. And they need to give out more offers to keep their list full through the recruiting season. Let's not pretend that everybody's going to commit at once.
[CENSORED]!

Wildhog

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on February 05, 2016, 01:23:07 pm
Arkansas evaluates very well - just needs to get a little more realism in the decisionmaking process. They cannot afford to move as slowly as they do, deciding when to offer. And they need to give out more offers to keep their list full through the recruiting season. Let's not pretend that everybody's going to commit at once.

100% agree.  We wait entirely too long to offer some prospects that we will absolutely end up offering later, anyway.  And then by the time we offer, they've got a ton of good offers and we're behind the 8-ball.
1909/1964/1965/1977

ricepig

Quote from: Wildhog on February 05, 2016, 01:22:24 pm
100% agree.  We wait entirely too long to offer some prospects that we will absolutely end up offering later, anyway.  And then by the time we offer, they've got a ton of good offers and we're behind the 8-ball.

I've got no problem with this, although I completely agree on our in-state offers. And since Bielema prefers not having the signing day shenanigans, it would be prudent to but out a few more.

buldozer

The "we aren't Bama", "we don't have the budget for it" and "we can never compete with the likes of those guys" arguments are just not factual any longer. I don't know where the money is going, but the football program has always produced a positive cash flow. Now the SEC Network proceeds have infused over $30M per year of ADDITIONAL new revenue. There is no excuse for razorback football to continue to spend half as much on recruiting as the SEC schools with the best ranked recruiting classes.

If we get out recruited, fine. But it should not be because we are out spent when we have $30M of new revenue coming in due to the SEC Network that we all know is primarily due to the football program! Specifically, top rated recruiters should be hired to concentrate on TX, LA and FL.

ricepig

Quote from: buldozer on February 05, 2016, 01:31:51 pm
The "we aren't Bama", "we don't have the budget for it" and "we can never compete with the likes of those guys" arguments are just not factual any longer. I don't know where the money is going, but the football program has always produced a positive cash flow. Now the SEC Network proceeds have infused over $30M per year of ADDITIONAL new revenue. There is no excuse for razorback football to continue to spend half as much on recruiting as the SEC schools with the best ranked recruiting classes.

If we get out recruited, fine. But it should not be because we are out spent when we have $30M of new revenue coming in due to the SEC Network that we all know is primarily due to the football program! Specifically, top rated recruiters should be hired to concentrate on TX, LA and FL.

We don't spend half as much, but I knew you would copy and paste this, lol. We spend half as much as TN and Auburn.

Also, the conference gave us $30m total, it all isn't from the SEC Network.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/12974161/southeastern-conference-distribute-record-435m-revenue-member-schools

buldozer

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on February 05, 2016, 01:23:07 pm
Very accurate point. If you look at the top rated recruits in TX on the 247 site, many of the top kids in 2017 class are already committed now to schools all over the US. Many schools outside and inside of TX have prolly half or more of those kids locked down and not one AR commit on the list anywhere. I'm sure we will come in with some before its over due to how thin AR is this year but right now we only have 1 did on our 2017 list from LA, Bama has 8.

Pork Twain

Quote from: Wildhog on February 05, 2016, 12:49:28 pm
...lol, okay.  So he puts a ton of emphasis on hiring proven recruiters for nothing?
I must have missed all those quotes from Saban where he says all he cares about is recruiters.  Easy to look like an all-star when you are recruiting players to Bama or LSU.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Wildhog

Quote from: Pork Twain on February 05, 2016, 01:48:28 pm
I must have missed all those quotes from Saban where he says all he cares about is recruiters.  Easy to look like an all-star when you are recruiting players to Bama or LSU.

He's hiring guys that were star recruiters before they got to Bama. 

But now that you mention it, I read an article a while back about how important hiring recruiters is to Saban. Let me see if I can dig it up.
1909/1964/1965/1977

buldozer

Quote from: ricepig on February 05, 2016, 01:33:36 pm
We don't spend half as much, but I knew you would copy and paste this, lol. We spend half as much as TN and Auburn.

Also, the conference gave us $30m total, it all isn't from the SEC Network.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/12974161/southeastern-conference-distribute-record-435m-revenue-member-schools
Fair enough! Lol. But we are getting over $10M of NEW REVENUE from the SEC Network and only being outspent by less than $1M a year!

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/recruiting/2015/02/03/college-football-recruiting-signing-day-sec-power-conferences/22813887/

It just seems ridiculous to me that to not pull out all the stops on something like recruiting when it is so obvious that it is the foundation that a winning program is built upon and it cost so little compared to everything else we have invested in... it is a no-brainer

Deep Shoat

You can't "fix" recruiting.  Arkansas HAS to learn how to recruit high upside players and hold on to them.  Keep a large number of RS Jr's and SR's in the program and sprinkle in the limited number of instate studs and even more limited number of out of state studs we can find.

There is no other option.  We just don't have the recruiting base.

All Gas, No Brakes!

buldozer

Our 10 year trend is exactly where we are now.... exactly average!

http://espn.go.com/blog/sec/post/_/id/114278/recruiting-rankings-continue-10-year-trend-in-sec

A wise man once said the definition of insanity is continuing to do the same thing while expecting different results!

If we want to improve our recruiting we need to change some things.
1. Increase spending on recruiting, we will have to outspend all other SEC schools due to our location
2. Concentrate on the closest states with the most D1 talent, TX, LA, FL
3. Hire a specialist proven top in each of these states to concentrate on it alone

Recruiting is cheap compared to the rest of the football program and has more long term impact on results than any other area other than coaching, which in our case is in good shape

Wildhog

Quote from: Wildhog on February 05, 2016, 01:48:21 pm
He's hiring guys that were star recruiters before they got to Bama. 

But now that you mention it, I read an article a while back about how important hiring recruiters is to Saban. Let me see if I can dig it up.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2350958-nick-saban-and-the-inner-workings-of-his-alabama-recruiting-machine

"Nick only hires coaches who have reputations for being good recruiters," said Cignetti. "Every assistant recruits an area, so Nick wants assistants that have relationships with high school coaches in the specific area that he will be in charge of recruiting. Recruiting is information-gathering and sales. Once we get film of the player, the position coach will evaluate it. He then passes his evaluation along to Nick. And then if Nick decides to make an offer, he's very good at giving people attention, which is really what people want. He's good at developing and maintaining relationships.
1909/1964/1965/1977

navyhog24

We need boosters willing to "help" out, good instate crop, and the good ole thing called winning

BigD94

It seems like most of the athletes in central Arkansas nowadays are playing basketball rather than football. With AAU and tournaments, basketball has basically become a year round thing now. I think a lot of the good athletes are just strictly playing basketball rather than football. It seems like the last good Little Rock group was around the 04,05 time frame. McFadden, our entire starting defensive line was from LR, Fairchild.
WOO PIG!

Sooie71923

"stud" recruiters are a figment of your imagination. we have some dang good recruiters. some of the best. do they get elite talent to sign with Arkansas? no. but who can? we have 1 championship to our name and 1 loss in a BCS bowl. we havent shown recruits we are a championship program just yet. but we have showed and are showing commitment to becoming one. its nobodies fault that we havent won a championship. just how the cards have fallen.

does bama have a staff of "stud" recruiters? MAYBE but playing for championships every year has to be worth something. high draft pick has to be worth something. our staff could recruit the same at BAMA, FLA or LSU.

the program has more to do with considering the "recruiter" a stud, NOT the players that are signed. the majority of players are gonna goto the school that wins championships and has the best chance to.

so aside from winning championships or throwing cash around, we will continue to have top 25 classes.

and its not a bad thing.

recruiting is the life blood of the program, but it still has to be pumped through. coaches are the brains and the school is the heart. we have heart and mind, we'll always be fine.

Wildhog

Quote from: Sooie71923 on February 05, 2016, 02:19:41 pm
"stud" recruiters are a figment of your imagination.

Stopped reading here. I can assure you, they're very real. And many of the best ones are in our division.
1909/1964/1965/1977