Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

IF

Started by 12247, February 04, 2016, 08:04:41 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

This is a good time to look at the rankings before we move on and forget.
I just looked at 247 Sports rankings.  I am sure every service is a bit different.
247 has us at #25, placing us 9th in the SEC.
We would be 4th in the Big 12, ACC, & Pac 12 and 6th in the Big 10.
We have chosen the most difficult path to a NC we could find.  Maybe Miss State would have it more difficult.

Dr. Starcs

Ever think that being in the sec helps us to get that top 25 ranking?

Hogarusa

If we were in those conferences, we wouldnt be #25. 
I'll ride the wave where it takes me

bphi11ips

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on February 04, 2016, 08:34:15 pm

No
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

go hogues

Quote from: 12247 on February 04, 2016, 08:04:41 pm
Maybe Miss State would have it more difficult.
They've been a number one team in the last two seasons. When was the last time we've been number one in the nation? They've also beaten us four straight.
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

Torqued pork

Quote from: bphi11ips on February 04, 2016, 09:25:50 pm
No
You've drawn the attention of Hogville/SEC militia. I hope your footwork is up to it.

Hoggish1

Truth.

ChemEHawg

I can read this two ways:

1) The Hogs get media bias because we're in the SEC. This results in a higher ranking for the recruiting class.

2) The Hogs get better recruits than the program could get on its own because we're in the SEC. Best players go to the best conference to play against the best players week in and week out.

I agree with #2. Not #1.

Thanks for all the info.  Will probably stick to one of the places close to the hotel so that if I have a few too many I can stagger back.  Nothing better than your kids seeing you drunk.  I don't look at it as a bad example but rather a cautionary tale.<br /><br />-Dwight_K_Shrute<br /><br />I can't wait to have kids...

LA Football fan

I think being in the SEC has helped some but not as much as most are claiming.  Is it helping Kentucky, Vanderbilt, Missouri etc?   What is getting us top recruits is 1:  top level instate talent  2:  COACHES that can recruit well  3.  Last - conference affiliation      Being in the SEC does absolutely no good when you have 13 other teams that can claim the same thing and 7 to 8 of them have more in state talent available than we ever will.  We have always recruited at this level, whether in the SEC or back in the SWC days.  Our team makeup has ALWAYS been a majority of in state players and players from Texas.  Different head coaches have used some connections to Florida and California for a player or two but in the end, our base is Arkansas and Texas players.   If we can continue this trend of bringing in more LA kids then we can take another step up but harping on the SEC affiliation is kind of hollow when 13 other teams can shout the same thing.

theFlyingHog

I have to agree with LA. We may have an even better class were we in the little 12 because I believe we would be in the upper echelon of the conference. "Come play in the SEC" is NOT what everyone makes it out to be

bphi11ips

Quote from: Torqued pork on February 05, 2016, 04:29:45 am
You've drawn the attention of Hogville/SEC militia. I hope your footwork is up to it.

Does being in the Big 12 help TCU and Baylor? 247 ranks both classes ahead of Arkansas.  Arkansas held a 22-game winning streak over TCU through the 60's, 70's and 80's and dominated Baylor during the same period.  What's changed other than the emergence of the ratings industry?  Arkansas faces tougher competition now while Baylor and TCU fatten up on the likes of Iowa State, Kansas, Kansas State, a down Texas program, etc.  Their records attract recruits, but they also set up self fulfilling prophecies for the recruiting service analysts who take the safe path in predicting that the future will reflect the immediate past.  Veterans like Tom Lemming know better.

247's top 10 is littered with the most successful programs in the history of college football. Do you really need a windmill to know which way the wind blows?

Tom Lemming rates Arkansas's 2018 class number 18.  This happens to be Arkansas' s rank among all major programs based upon final AP polls since 1936.

Things change, but not much. 
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

dsgreen

Quote from: bphi11ips on February 05, 2016, 08:33:08 am
Does being in the Big 12 help TCU and Baylor? 247 ranks both classes ahead of Arkansas.  Arkansas held a 22-game winning streak over TCU through the 60's, 70's and 80's and dominated Baylor during the same period.  What's changed other than the emergence of the ratings industry?   

lol, what's changed?  It's been 30 years since that period and those teams have been in the playoff discussion the last two years.  These recruits weren't even a twinkle in their mom's eye when Arkansas was dominating those programs and they've both been at the top for quite a few years now.

arkhogball

Whaley himself said he wanted to be a RB in the SEC.  Now, if we were in any other conference would we have gotten him?  NO!! Doesn't mean we wouldn't have picked up some other great RB that wanted to play in another conference, but I STRONGLY believe that being in the SEC helps our recruiting.

010HogFan

Mic drop

HiggiePiggy

Winning, conference, and location are things that help recruiting pretty much everywhere. 

If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

atekido

Quote from: theFlyingHog on February 05, 2016, 08:26:11 am
I have to agree with LA. We may have an even better class were we in the little 12 because I believe we would be in the upper echelon of the conference. "Come play in the SEC" is NOT what everyone makes it out to be

Except it is.  and the NFL proves it every single year.   over and over and over.  watch the draft one year you will learn a lot about the influence it has.  Better yet go look at interviews of the recruits.  you hear the words "SEC" mentioned a lot about twhy teams are in their lists of future schools.   The SEC is the only conference where you don't just become part of one team.  You become part of an entire group of teams where you are able to say with a straight face I have played against the best talent in the country.  It is the only conference that chants its initials. Guess who is doing those chants along with the fans?  Players on the field. 

Mike_e

Quote from: bphi11ips on February 05, 2016, 08:33:08 am
Does being in the Big 12 help TCU and Baylor? 247 ranks both classes ahead of Arkansas.  Arkansas held a 22-game winning streak over TCU through the 60's, 70's and 80's and dominated Baylor during the same period.  What's changed other than the emergence of the ratings industry?  Arkansas faces tougher competition now while Baylor and TCU fatten up on the likes of Iowa State, Kansas, Kansas State, a down Texas program, etc.  Their records attract recruits, but they also set up self fulfilling prophecies for the recruiting service analysts who take the safe path in predicting that the future will reflect the immediate past.  Veterans like Tom Lemming know better.

247's top 10 is littered with the most successful programs in the history of college football. Do you really need a windmill to know which way the wind blows?

Tom Lemming rates Arkansas's 2018 class number 18.  This happens to be Arkansas' s rank among all major programs based upon final AP polls since 1936.

Things change, but not much.

So where did Tom rank us in the SEC?

Real question, no snark.
The best "one thing" for a happy life?
Just be the best person that you can manage.  Right Now!

Polecat

Quote from: ChemEHawg on February 05, 2016, 07:43:40 am
I can read this two ways:

1) The Hogs get media bias because we're in the SEC. This results in a higher ranking for the recruiting class.

2) The Hogs get better recruits than the program could get on its own because we're in the SEC. Best players go to the best conference to play against the best players week in and week out.

I agree with #2. Not #1.

dig the avi
Arkansas born and raised. 1999 UA alum