colbs

Quote from: The_Iceman on February 03, 2016, 03:00:20 pm
Dan Skipper
Brian Wallace
Johnny Gibson
Ragnow (could be OT, OG, or C)
Colton Jackson
Paul Ramirez

Still have some grad transfer possibilities.
And Merrick

bigdaddyhawg

While I understand it is possible for this to turn out very well for Haje and the Hogs, I don't see how anyone can see this as a good thing.

HF was supposed to be a very athletic, stud DT that could generate a pass rush up the middle, and the fact they are moving him BEFORE the spring tells me CBB/CRS/CRS had no hope FH would ever develop into that kind of player.

With our recruiting depending on developing guys to be big time players as juniors and seniors, this kind of move does not bode well.

Hopefully the guys we still have at DT and the new guys are going to step it up to make up for that loss, but it's not a good thing IMO, at all.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

Chief Mac

Quote from: whosiskid on February 03, 2016, 03:48:19 pm
Someone said he might not have enough speed against spreads, but coach also commented on him saying they loved his flexibility, since he could if needed play on the end. They had no doubts about his speed. This is more about which defensive players were capable of making the switch. He did well on defense despite being a pure freshman, as well as Bijohn Jackson (who still needs to lose some weight - coach said something about them wanting him to lose down 10 or 15 pounds to play a bit lighter). Moving him to OG was not in any way a comment on his ability. His playing time increased as the season went along.

One thing this does probably mean - and getting Agim helps a lot, is that Ledbetter might play most of the time at DT with little time at DE. I don't think they will start Agim, but they will look for as many spots to play him as possible, especially on passing downs. They need a better pass rush. It would be interesting to see how they will use Agim in nickle packages.

this post and your other post seem to be getting ignored.  I think you are absolutely spot-on!  HF is a tremendous athlete and physically, can do everything a great OL can do.  If he can pick up technique, he will be pretty salty
"We spend two hundred and fifty billion dollars a year on defense and here we are....the fate of the planet in the hands of a bunch of retards I wouldn't trust with a potato gun!

DeltaBoy

Good move and I expect him to do well on the O-line
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

onebadrubi

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on February 04, 2016, 08:35:15 am
While I understand it is possible for this to turn out very well for Haje and the Hogs, I don't see how anyone can see this as a good thing.

HF was supposed to be a very athletic, stud DT that could generate a pass rush up the middle, and the fact they are moving him BEFORE the spring tells me CBB/CRS/CRS had no hope FH would ever develop into that kind of player.

With our recruiting depending on developing guys to be big time players as juniors and seniors, this kind of move does not bode well.

Hopefully the guys we still have at DT and the new guys are going to step it up to make up for that loss, but it's not a good thing IMO, at all.

I think he started to become a space eater, very similar but maybe a step slower than Jackson.  We saw early this past season what no push and just gap eating big guys do.  We get ate alive by a decent throwing QB.  I think we will see a slight overhaul this spring to get a better speed rush out of the front 4/5 defensive players. 

While I am not as happy with the move as if we were to sign a top OL, I completely can understand it and fully respect this staff's knowledge in making this decision.  Thing about it is, HF will have an advantage now moving over because of his game speed experience and time in the weight room.  He has 4 years to play 3 so time is still on his side. 

Dont view this move like a previous staff might have done where it's to fill a gap and add a warm body.  This is a move that Froholdt will be expected to push for a starting position as early as this fall and one that I don't think Coach would make unless he thought it would help Froholdt's draft stock in the long run.

HogimusMaximus

Shows that our OL is weak if he can get any playing time.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: onebadrubi on February 04, 2016, 09:15:20 am
I think he started to become a space eater, very similar but maybe a step slower than Jackson.  We saw early this past season what no push and just gap eating big guys do.  We get ate alive by a decent throwing QB.  I think we will see a slight overhaul this spring to get a better speed rush out of the front 4/5 defensive players. 

While I am not as happy with the move as if we were to sign a top OL, I completely can understand it and fully respect this staff's knowledge in making this decision.  Thing about it is, HF will have an advantage now moving over because of his game speed experience and time in the weight room.  He has 4 years to play 3 so time is still on his side. 

Dont view this move like a previous staff might have done where it's to fill a gap and add a warm body.  This is a move that Froholdt will be expected to push for a starting position as early as this fall and one that I don't think Coach would make unless he thought it would help Froholdt's draft stock in the long run.

My other thought is this: when was the last time we saw a kid change sides of the ball and end up being a real player at his new position?

Ward and Boyd moved from OL to DL, never to be heard from again (I think Ward was injured).

The last guy I can remember moving around was the OG who played under HDN, who started out on DL, moved to FB for a year I think, then ended up being a pretty good OG and may have even made an NFL roster for a year or two.  Sorry, can't remember his name.

Other than that, zip.  I really hope HF breaks that record.

On another note: so much for stars!!  HF was a 4* recruit, and after one year he gone from the DL, probably never to return.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

Captain Morgan

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on February 04, 2016, 09:22:38 am
My other thought is this: when was the last time we saw a kid change sides of the ball and end up being a real player at his new position?

Ward and Boyd moved from OL to DL, never to be heard from again (I think Ward was injured).

The last guy I can remember moving around was the OG who played under HDN, who started out on DL, moved to FB for a year I think, then ended up being a pretty good OG and may have even made an NFL roster for a year or two.  Sorry, can't remember his name.

On another note: so much for stars!!  HF was a 4* recruit, and after one year he gone from the DL, probably never to return.

Why doesn't CBB put the best players on defense like Miles, Saban and Freeze do?

onebadrubi

Too consider your thoughts completely you have to consider what you are using as talent evaluators and abilty to coach up talent.  HDN, no good, BP liked to move any decent palyer to O and if they weren't a QB or WR he might could make them serviceable. 

We saw Derby go from QB to TE in one season and make some dang good catches under coach B. 

I'll respond to your question with a question, when have we seen a 4 or 5 star player asked to move positions? Or lets not use stars, lets say top 150 player in his recruiting class?  Froholdt has intangibles you can't teach, size, speed, and strength.  You might have to shuffle him around, but he will find a position where he will push for a starting role. 

southarkhog06

Quote from: scruf on February 03, 2016, 02:38:39 pm
I got mocked for suggesting this a few weeks ago by HV experts so this can't be true.
I was one Ill admit it and take my lumps.

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: Captain Morgan on February 04, 2016, 09:28:22 am
Why doesn't CBB put the best players on defense like Miles, Saban and Freeze do?

This is goofy. Miles, Saban and Freeze recruit great defensive players.

Froholdt is a young man from Denmark who has played a little football. First learned the game when he was a sophomore, as an exchange student. He has not played any position so long that he's mastered it. He can really maul an opponent one on one, but he doesn't have those instincts that allow a football player to whip his man and then get to the football in the backfield.

Froholdt might learn that ability in a few years. But his ability to dominate an opponent one on one is a really good quality for an offensive guard. He could be a gap-control noseguard, but maybe the defense is headed in a different direction. Maybe they don't want the scheme to be built around a gap-control noseguard. And really, that's not a fun position to play.

Froholdt is a very nice prospect for offensive guard. Meanwhile, the best players at defensive tackle and noseguard will probably be other people.
[CENSORED]!

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: HogimusMaximus on February 04, 2016, 09:20:33 am

This is a ridiculous comment. Froholdt is a fearsome one-on-one matchup, and he could be a dominating guard.
[CENSORED]!

KlubhouseKonnected

Are you thinking of Sasha Lancaster?
If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.

KlubhouseKonnected

IIRC there was at least a game or two that Fro did not play because the coaches said something to the effect of, "it was not his type of game." And also IIRC those were spread teams where his bulk was not an asset and his pass rushing was at least implied to be a weakness.

onebadrubi

Quote from: KlubhouseKonnected on February 04, 2016, 10:28:32 am
IIRC there was at least a game or two that Fro did not play because the coaches said something to the effect of, "it was not his type of game." And also IIRC those were spread teams where his bulk was not an asset and his pass rushing was at least implied to be a weakness.

You are correct.  I think it is a good move for all parties.

jackflash

I like this move and looking forward to what they do with Mitchell I think this kid has to play

OnTheHillHogFan

Quote from: DeltaBoy on February 04, 2016, 08:54:49 am
Good move and I expect him to do well on the O-line
You already said that on the first page of this thread.
Quote from: JaketheSnake on November 07, 2012, 10:28:17 am
Shoot the Obama deer... the ones that come for the free corn.
Quote from: ReddieHawg on November 06, 2013, 09:38:24 am
Do you happen to have any rapping skills? I think we could set you up with DJ Khaled and you could make a song entitled, "All I Do Is Bitch"

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on February 04, 2016, 08:35:15 am

Totally agree.
In fact, I think this kind of stinks.

He now has an entire year wasted playing a lousy handful of snaps in a handful (maybe about a half to 2/3s) of games.  Worse, he got borderline meaningless snaps in a position that he apparently will never play again.

Why couldn't he have been redshirted like he should have been in the first place?  Better yet, why wasn't he evaluated as not being a good fit as a DL and moved prior to the first game AND redshirted?
His response to me:
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 13, 2016, 11:48:33 am
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

ricepig

Quote from: OnTheHillHogFan on February 04, 2016, 11:14:00 am
You already said that on the first page of this thread.

How do you think he has 60,000+ posts......

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: ricepig on February 04, 2016, 11:13:24 am
How do you think he has 60,000+ posts......

Yeah.  Don't get in the way of such thought provoking posts such as ''Yep'', ''I agree'', Good job'', or the timeless earth shaker, ''Way to go''.
His response to me:
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

onebadrubi

Quote from: SooiecidetillNuttgone on February 04, 2016, 11:13:24 am
Totally agree.

He now has an entire year wasted playing a lousy handful of snaps in a handful (maybe about a half to 2/3s) of games.  Worse, he got borderline meaningless snaps in a position that he apparently will never play again.

Why couldn't he have been redshirted like he should have been in the first place?  Better yet, why wasn't he evaluated as not being a good fit as a DL and moved prior to the first game AND redshirted?

Haha, you are the same one that if they would have redshirted him would have been screaming wth are we doing redshirting our top recruit.  And if we moved him last year to OL you would be screaming what a waste of a recruit on the Dline if we are just going to move him.  He was recruited at the Dline position, after a spring and fall they see him better at Oline.  Why is that so difficult to understand? 

Hogberry Snortcake

Quote from: SooiecidetillNuttgone on February 04, 2016, 11:13:24 am
Totally agree.

Just an all around awful post.   

hawginbigd1

Quote from: onebadrubi on February 04, 2016, 10:29:23 am
You are correct.  I think it is a good move for all parties.
I said it a while back watching him this year and at IMG last year I always thought he would be better off on the OL. He is a strong and nimble young man, but there isn't much in the way of explosiveness that is required for a DL.

bigdaddyhawg

I think the point of CBB making this move is because HF is NOT one of the best players on defense, so he's doing exactly as you propose.

Concerned you can't see that on your own.

Waldron_Hog

Quote from: KlubhouseKonnected on February 04, 2016, 10:23:32 am

He's thinking of Mitch Petrus, former walkon. Played for the NY Giants for a few years.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: KlubhouseKonnected on February 04, 2016, 10:23:32 am

I searched a bit more and found him -- Mitch Petrus!! 

He may have started out at DE or somewhere on the DL, but I know he played FB one year, then got bigger and bigger and they put him at G, where I think he may have even made 2nd team All-SEC, if my memory serves.  Played OG for the Giants, but I didn't see for how long.

That's the only successful conversion from one side of the ball to the other I can remember in forever.

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: Waldron_Hog on February 04, 2016, 11:56:00 am
He's thinking of Mitch Petrus, former walkon. Played for the NY Giants for a few years.

Yeah that would make more sense.

woodrow hog call

Quote from: KlubhouseKonnected on February 04, 2016, 10:28:32 am

This is exactly right, so instead of keeping him on the DL where he is only going to play against about 3 to 4 teams. Move him to the other side where he can be an asset, in every single game.
you just up his potential playing time by a tremendous amount.
"I hate rude behavior in a man, I won't tolerate it"

hawgmasta

Kind of surprising as I thought Froholdt was going to be a big run stuffing tackle. Despite our obvious need for a pass rush we could still use an anchor on the interior of the dline. If there's an area that CBB knows it's the oline; so let's hope this one plays out well.

IronHog

He looked like a OL playing defense last year.......likely a good move in the long run.

DL to OL makes a lot of sense.....rarely see a kid go the other way with success.
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: onebadrubi on February 04, 2016, 11:23:39 am
Haha, you are the same one that if they would have redshirted him would have been screaming wth are we doing redshirting our top recruit.  And if we moved him last year to OL you would be screaming what a waste of a recruit on the Dline if we are just going to move him.  He was recruited at the Dline position, after a spring and fall they see him better at Oline.  Why is that so difficult to understand? 

For starters, there was a thread a little while back discussing redshirts, and I couldn't figure out why he wasn't redshirted then.

Secondly, I don't know why it's hard for you to figure  out that he would be one more year towards being developed as an OL if the move would have been made before the start of the season.  Or do you not believe that practice, coaching, and repetition develops better skills and muscle memory?
His response to me:

ballinhog

I think 10-15 years ago he woulda been a very solid DT but the way football has evolved I think this is a good move. I can picture Capps making this same move within a year. Unless Capps is a lot quicker than Froholdt, which I don't know bc I really haven't seen much film on him

onebadrubi

Quote from: SooiecidetillNuttgone on February 04, 2016, 01:24:59 pm
For starters, there was a thread a little while back discussing redshirts, and I couldn't figure out why he wasn't redshirted then.

Secondly, I don't know why it's hard for you to figure  out that he would be one more year towards being developed as an OL if the move would have been made before the start of the season.  Or do you not believe that practice, coaching, and repetition develops better skills and muscle memory?

Lol, did you even read what I wrote?  I am saying you are typical and predictable, if we redshirted him last year people would have been mad and screaming why are we red shirting our top recruit.  See you can't please everyone and always someone here to bash... usually the same guys. 

Secondly, if we brought in a top DT and our highest rated recruit and asked him to move positions immediately, that same aforementioned group would be here screaming.  Predictable, again.

RaisinHog

Yea that landshart defence was awsome ... Wish we had one

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: onebadrubi on February 04, 2016, 01:44:49 pm
Lol, did you even read what I wrote?  I am saying you are typical and predictable, if we redshirted him last year people would have been mad and screaming why are we red shirting our top recruit.  See you can't please everyone and always someone here to bash... usually the same guys. 

Secondly, if we brought in a top DT and our highest rated recruit and asked him to move positions immediately, that same aforementioned group would be here screaming.  Predictable, again.

So basically you're stating that your post is about the price of tea in China rather than about the move of position.

Gotcha.
His response to me:

PorkRinds

Quote from: SooiecidetillNuttgone on February 04, 2016, 01:47:10 pm
So basically you're stating that your post is about the price of tea in China rather than about the move of position.

Gotcha.

So...are you really unable to understand that the coaches gave HF a shot to prove he could make it on the DL, and decided he'd be better off on OL?  I mean, you can call it wasted time if you want, but would they consider it wasted time?  Could his time on DL not have given him extra insight as to how to work against DL, since he knows their techniques and has used them himself?  I guess I just don't get it.  It's one thing to question the decisions of the coaches. It's another to completely invent a criticism like "wasted year".  They obviously didn't know he would be passed up on the depth chart, and would have liked for him to be up to speed quicker than he was.  Now that he's been passed up by others, and the depth on DL is there, they want an athlete like him to get a chance on the field.  That's not a screw up, and it's not "wasted snaps".  It's getting your best athletes on the field and giving them a chance to get more meaningful snaps.

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: PorkRinds on February 04, 2016, 01:58:25 pm
So...are you really unable to understand that the coaches gave HF a shot to prove he could make it on the DL, and decided he'd be better off on OL?  I mean, you can call it wasted time if you want, but would they consider it wasted time?  Could his time on DL not have given him extra insight as to how to work against DL, since he knows their techniques and has used them himself?  I guess I just don't get it.  It's one thing to question the decisions of the coaches. It's another to completely invent a criticism like "wasted year".  They obviously didn't know he would be passed up on the depth chart, and would have liked for him to be up to speed quicker than he was.  Now that he's been passed up by others, and the depth on DL is there, they want an athlete like him to get a chance on the field.  That's not a screw up, and it's not "wasted snaps".  It's getting your best athletes on the field and giving them a chance to get more meaningful snaps.

Thank you.
While I don't agree with everything you said, that's a coherent, relevant rebuttal.

You even made me change my position regarding his understanding of the DL to a degree.

+1 to you.
His response to me:

a0ashle

Quote from: scruf on February 03, 2016, 02:38:39 pm
I got mocked for suggesting this a few weeks ago by HV experts so this can't be true.

I'll own this... I don't know if I actually said this move would be silly, but I sure thought it. I hope he gets to see the field, he did as a DT and I it would be sad if he didn't because of this move. That said, CBB isn't the type to throw someone somewhere they don't want to be, or isn't in the kids best interest just to fill a need.

PorkRinds

Quote from: a0ashle on February 04, 2016, 02:20:08 pm
I'll own this... I don't know if I actually said this move would be silly, but I sure thought it. I hope he gets to see the field, he did as a DT and I it would be sad if he didn't because of this move. That said, CBB isn't the type to throw someone somewhere they don't want to be, or isn't in the kids best interest just to fill a need.

If he doesn't see the field, it isn't because of this move.  This move is being done so he CAN see the field.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: PorkRinds on February 04, 2016, 02:22:41 pm
If he doesn't see the field, it isn't because of this move.  This move is being done so he CAN see the field.

Yep

onebadrubi

Quote from: SooiecidetillNuttgone on February 04, 2016, 01:47:10 pm

Gotcha.

It's like you aren't able to comprehend the English language. 

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: onebadrubi on February 04, 2016, 02:26:38 pm
It's like you aren't able to comprehend the English language. 

What are you saying?

;)
His response to me:

ricepig

I'm fine with it as long as Hjlate is 100% ok with it.

a0ashle

Just looked it up, I had a wrong impression. I thought he had played more than he did. I am all for getting our talent on the field in the way that fits their skills best.

PorkRinds

Quote from: a0ashle on February 04, 2016, 03:18:48 pm
Just looked it up, I had a wrong impression. I thought he had played more than he did. I am all for getting our talent on the field in the way that fits their skills best.

I feel like the coaches played him early thinking he'd catch up quick and be a force.  Dude is a freak athlete.  He just didn't pan out like they thought, and now they've got guys that are going to pass him up.  If he doesn't switch, he's a wasted body.  I think part of it is because they're laser focused on getting a pass rush going next year, and his quickness just wasn't enough to give him a pass rush game.  I was one that was against the move and never thought it would happen.  But I'm not in the meetings or seeing how they're working at their positions.  I hope he becomes a beast OG. 

a0ashle

Quote from: PorkRinds on February 04, 2016, 03:21:24 pm
I feel like the coaches played him early thinking he'd catch up quick and be a force.  Dude is a freak athlete.  He just didn't pan out like they thought, and now they've got guys that are going to pass him up.  If he doesn't switch, he's a wasted body.  I think part of it is because they're laser focused on getting a pass rush going next year, and his quickness just wasn't enough to give him a pass rush game.  I was one that was against the move and never thought it would happen.  But I'm not in the meetings or seeing how they're working at their positions.  I hope he becomes a beast OG.

Someone mentioned that he had played TE a little also... I am getting visions of Froholdt coming in and playing the Cameron Jefferson role  :razorback:

ricepig

Quote from: PorkRinds on February 04, 2016, 03:21:24 pm

He played in 10 games this year, alternating with the second line in more running situations. I know he didn't play in some up tempo/spread team games, but he wasn't the only one.

Wildhog

I wonder if he could play OT?
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

ricepig

hammer66

Quote from: HogimusMaximus on February 04, 2016, 09:20:33 am

Another possibility could be that he is a terrific olineman. There are many possibilities that could happen with this move and not one of us know how it will turn out.