Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Froholdt to OL

Started by Bacon_Bitz, February 03, 2016, 02:27:46 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Bacon_Bitz

Confirmed by CBB at today's presser. I think this is good news.

greenEGnHAWGS

Interesting. I think this may be a very good move for him.
Did they get you to trade a walk on part in the war, for a lead role in a cage...?

The_Iceman

6'4" 300lbs, strong, explosive, fast.....nasty pulling guard is what he looks like to me.

scruf

I got mocked for suggesting this a few weeks ago by HV experts so this can't be true.

Wildhog

Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

Polecat

Could be a really good fit. CBB has forgotten more about OL than I'll ever know, so I defer to his judgment
Arkansas born and raised. 1999 UA alum

ATU HOG

My questions are:

Does this happen to a lot of other programs?
He was going to be one of our better Defensive Linemen, and now he's switching to the other side of the ball.  Is this a common occurence?

Why now?
We are supposed to have a lot of depth at the OL, considering that's what we promote.  Are we that good at the D-Line positions that we can afford to do this?  I'm curious if they knew this was a possibility, why not redshirt him and get him prepared all year for 4 years on the OL.

Interesting move.... hope it pays off.  Woo Pig.

scruf

Quote from: Wildhog on February 03, 2016, 02:38:05 pm
Still no tackles.
Ramirez, Hall, probably Tuley-Tillman in May. I'm sure they'll try HF at OG and OT before he settles in.

Maybe even Dylan Hays.

greenie

This could only be bad if we really needed him on the DL.  We don't.

The_Iceman

Still no tackles.

Dan Skipper
Brian Wallace
Johnny Gibson
Ragnow (could be OT, OG, or C)
Colton Jackson
Paul Ramirez

Still have some grad transfer possibilities.

nwahogfan1

Quote from: scruf on February 03, 2016, 02:38:39 pm
I got mocked for suggesting this a few weeks ago by HV experts so this can't be true.

Yes you did.  I think this is a good move.  Maybe he has long enough arms and the good hips for OT. 

presidenthog

Quote from: greenie on February 03, 2016, 02:57:13 pm
This could only be bad if we really needed him on the DL.  We don't.
this. the guy was a run stopper and wasn't the type of guy to get to the qb often. this isn't the type of guy we need in the trenches, we need a guy like Philon who can be more disruptive.

greenie

Quote from: The_Iceman on February 03, 2016, 03:00:20 pm
Dan Skipper
Brian Wallace
Johnny Gibson
Ragnow (could be OT, OG, or C)
Colton Jackson
Paul Ramirez

Still have some grad transfer possibilities.

Thank you.  Our OL will be fine, and I'm excited about CKA and what he'll bring to the party.

cc

Guy appeared to be a good athlete for his size.  This should be a fairly quick transition.  Coach B likes taller tackles but I would think he would start a 6'3 or 6'4 guy if they were the most talented.

VirginiaHog

I believe he said he is now a guard. Dont see him playing tackle.
On defense, i don't think he had enough bull rush in him. Coach said during season he was a good run stopper but not fast enough against spreads.
I hope this and other things show CBB realizes we need to be faster, not bigger.
I for one love this move.

CDBHawg

Still no tackles.

Skipper
Wallace
Jackson
Malone
Ramirez
Gibson

And more than likely Tillman.

CDBHawg

12 scholarship players on the OL now.

Add Gibson who plays. Hopefully add Tillman.

Puts us at 14. Which is still a little low.

Nuttcracker, Sweet!

We have more depth on the D line than on the offensive line, so this move makes sense.

Also, Froholdt is the guy who knocked Cam Robinson on his backside in the 'Bama game after the INT which set off that fake-much-ado-about-nothing "scandal" on the sidelines with the Auburn guy and the hidden camera.
Making fun of Hootie since 2003

nwahogfan1

Some coaches sign lots of DLM and then move them to OL because HS DLM are big and also usually more athletic than HS OLM.

ricepig

scruf

Quote from: CDBHawg on February 03, 2016, 03:14:28 pm

Don't forget Tyler Hall (walk-on) and Dylan Hays (3* who signed today).

NFL teams only carry about 9 total OL throughout the season. I know they can sign free-agents if one of their top 9 go down but it doesn't happen that often. Dallas, for example, signed just one during the season last year. Having 14 linemen is a luxury in college.

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

whosiskid

Quote from: VirginiaHog on February 03, 2016, 03:07:37 pm
I believe he said he is now a guard. Dont see him playing tackle.
On defense, i don't think he had enough bull rush in him. Coach said during season he was a good run stopper but not fast enough against spreads.
I hope this and other things show CBB realizes we need to be faster, not bigger.
I for one love this move.
Think to remember is that Hjalte was not just a DE in high school and on the Danish National Team: he was also a TE.

Everyone has know he was a phenomenal athlete for some time now. If you can play TE, DT, or DE, you are clearly a big guy who knows how to move his feet.

In looking at the offensive line, with a number of question marks, moving a defensive lineman over makes sense, and of the defensive guys, if you asked, who of those guys is both very big and extremely quick, Hjalte is the find guy you would think of. I think he could have been a star DT, but I applaud him for putting the needs of the team ahead of his own needs or desires. He was part of the defensive line rotation as a freshman, so this isn't punishment for not playing well, but an acknowledgment that we don't have many guys who could pull this switch off.
"It's no trick to make a lot of money...if all you want...is to make a lot of money." - Bernstein, in Citizen Kane

"What if you were given the task of entertaining yourself all day but were finished by noon?" - Kierkegaard

"The disposition to admire, and almost to worship, the rich and the powerful, and to despise, or, at least, to neglect, persons of poor and mean condition [is] the great and most universal cause of the corruption of our moral sentiments." - Adam Smith

"That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves." - Kim Stanley Robinson

whosiskid

Someone said he might not have enough speed against spreads, but coach also commented on him saying they loved his flexibility, since he could if needed play on the end. They had no doubts about his speed. This is more about which defensive players were capable of making the switch. He did well on defense despite being a pure freshman, as well as Bijohn Jackson (who still needs to lose some weight - coach said something about them wanting him to lose down 10 or 15 pounds to play a bit lighter). Moving him to OG was not in any way a comment on his ability. His playing time increased as the season went along.

One thing this does probably mean - and getting Agim helps a lot, is that Ledbetter might play most of the time at DT with little time at DE. I don't think they will start Agim, but they will look for as many spots to play him as possible, especially on passing downs. They need a better pass rush. It would be interesting to see how they will use Agim in nickle packages.
"It's no trick to make a lot of money...if all you want...is to make a lot of money." - Bernstein, in Citizen Kane

"What if you were given the task of entertaining yourself all day but were finished by noon?" - Kierkegaard

"The disposition to admire, and almost to worship, the rich and the powerful, and to despise, or, at least, to neglect, persons of poor and mean condition [is] the great and most universal cause of the corruption of our moral sentiments." - Adam Smith

"That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves." - Kim Stanley Robinson

CDBHawg

Quote from: scruf on February 03, 2016, 03:33:56 pm

NFL teams only carry about 9 total OL throughout the season. I know they can sign free-agents if one of their top 9 go down but it doesn't happen that often. Dallas, for example, signed just one during the season last year. Having 14 linemen is a luxury in college.

I counted Hays.

I doubt Hall is expected to contribute this year. I counted Gibson because he plays.

If you want to count all walk-ons, we have Hannah, Harvey, and Sone as well. 

Having 13 scholarship OL is a bit low for NCAAF.

dirtdobber

I too was mocked when suggesting this a few weeks ago.  I believed then that he had a better chance to make it to the NFL as an OL than a DL.  But instead of intelligent conversation (no matter if you disagreed with my opinion), you get cyber bullies who are ten feet tall and bullet proof behind a keyboard.  I think Capps will be given a shot at DL early, but probably the best position for him will be guard, also.  If Agim is up to 280 this fast, eventually he may have to move inside to DT.  The staff at the UA game played him inside most of the game.

PorkRinds

I'll take my serving of crow. I don't think I mocked you, but I was certainly one that didn't really see it happening.  You were right.

scruf

Quote from: PorkRinds on February 03, 2016, 04:19:23 pm
I'll take my serving of crow. I don't think I mocked you, but I was certainly one that didn't really see it happening.  You were right.

No man, you were cool but thanks for that sentiment.

ricepig

Quote from: scruf on February 03, 2016, 04:24:33 pm
No man, you were cool but thanks for that sentiment.
It's was only due to your twitter sleuthing.......

ballz2thewall

Quote from: presidenthog on February 03, 2016, 03:01:10 pm
this. the guy was a run stopper and wasn't the type of guy to get to the qb often. this isn't the type of guy we need in the trenches, we need a guy like Philon who can be more disruptive.

this. to carry it a bit further, he's just not mean enough on the DL. we need a touch more insanity.

also; he was a beast on the OL when he played it in HS. in fact, he was much more impressive on offense from the film i've seen. it was a while back and i'm not sure what position, but i recall a steamroller of a blocker.
The rest of the frog.

hei5manhog

Quote from: CDBHawg on February 03, 2016, 03:14:28 pm

Doc brought this up on his podcast, if this guy is facing legal troubles, why do we think he'll be cleared to play in the SEC?
"If I can't practice, I can't practice. It is as simple as that. It ain't about that at all. It's easy to sum it up if you're just talking about practice. We're sitting here, and I'm supposed to be the franchise player, and we're talking about practice. I mean listen, we're sitting here talking about practice, not a game, not a game, not a game, but we're talking about practice. Not the game that I go out there and die for and play every game like it's my last but we're talking about practice man. How silly is that?

hawginbigd1

Wow I think some Genius around here called that a month ago hmmmm.... wonder who that might have been ;D

scorekeeper

Quote from: ATU HOG on February 03, 2016, 02:48:14 pm
My questions are:

He was going to be one of our better Defensive Linemen, and now he's switching to the other side of the ball.  Is this a common occurence?

Why now?
We are supposed to have a lot of depth at the OL, considering that's what we promote.  Are we that good at the D-Line positions that we can afford to do this?  I'm curious if they knew this was a possibility, why not redshirt him and get him prepared all year for 4 years on the OL.

Is this a common occurence?? Is this a common occurence??

We don't have common occurrences! We are UNCOMMON!
Common we are NOT!
If winning isn't everything, why do they keep score?

RaisinHog

Do y'all think he will redshirt this year ?

ricepig

Quote from: hei5manhog on February 03, 2016, 04:34:21 pm
Doc brought this up on his podcast, if this guy is facing legal troubles, why do we think he'll be cleared to play in the SEC?

I'm sure we'll know when he applies.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: RaisinHog on February 03, 2016, 04:37:50 pm
Do y'all think he will redshirt this year ?

Way too early to tell that. But I would say yes

RaisinHog

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on February 03, 2016, 04:45:26 pm
Way too early to tell that. But I would say yes
Kinda what I was thinking I figure it will take some adjustment

IronHog

Quote from: scruf on February 03, 2016, 03:33:56 pm

NFL linemen are grown men and professionals.  They also have practice squads.

Colleges need 5 starters

5 backups

5 getting ready to play in future/scout teamers
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

nwahogfan1

Quote from: dirtdobber on February 03, 2016, 04:11:46 pm
I too was mocked when suggesting this a few weeks ago.  I believed then that he had a better chance to make it to the NFL as an OL than a DL.  But instead of intelligent conversation (no matter if you disagreed with my opinion), you get cyber bullies who are ten feet tall and bullet proof behind a keyboard.  I think Capps will be given a shot at DL early, but probably the best position for him will be guard, also.  If Agim is up to 280 this fast, eventually he may have to move inside to DT.  The staff at the UA game played him inside most of the game.

Good points.  I agree on all of them.  Capps played both in HS and I think he is willing to play on the OL to help the team and get himself on the field sooner.

thebignasty

Pretty sure that was mostly SECneahog who was on your case.

hawgfan4life

Quote from: ATU HOG on February 03, 2016, 02:48:14 pm
My questions are:

Why now?

Your first post is your opinion based on your preconceived perceptions about the player.  Coaches make decisions based on facts they gathered from observing actual performances.

dirtdobber

Quote from: PorkRinds on February 03, 2016, 04:19:23 pm
Lol!  It's not so much about being right, I would just like to have grown-up conversations without being called an "idiot" or "delusional".  You were definitely not one of the people I was referring to.  There was one person that I do remember rather vividly...  I respect the fact you came on here and posted what you did.  Kudos to you, sir.

longpig

Quote from: IronHog on February 03, 2016, 04:52:34 pm

NFL linemen are grown men and professionals.  They also have practice squads.

Colleges need 5 starters

5 backups

5 getting ready to play in future/scout teamers

2 or 3 versatile backups is the usual, isn't it?
Don't be scared, be smart.

JaketheSnake

I sure never saw this happening.  Iced let my opinion be known.  Don't know if it was you or not I was dealing with.  Crow me up!  Fried please!

secneahog

Froholdt is still pretty much raw at football. Oline could be a calling. 
Remix MMA.  Alan "the talent" Belcher - Born_Imboden Arkansas- Next 185 UFC Champ!

blu

"But it is no shame to suffer for being a Christian. Praise God for the privilege of being called by His name!"  I Peter 4:16

AirWarren

What's our defensive line looking like? Roster wise.

ricepig

Danimal

And I agreed with you -- glad I'm not an expert...  ;)

IronHog

Quote from: longpig on February 03, 2016, 06:45:29 pm
2 or 3 versatile backups is the usual, isn't it?

Even top programs often hafta shuffle when starters go out.....

But they need bodies just to run the program day to day and for the future.  Few OL are ready to play early.
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.