Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Senior Bowl news

Started by bennyl08, January 26, 2016, 12:56:23 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

TebowHater

WorfHog

Quote from: TebowHater on January 30, 2016, 04:00:31 pm
Is JWill out?

They were saying during the week that he would not play.

Wildhog

Looked great on that last drive.  Mayock was gushing over him.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

Hog N Bama

Announcers had a lot of positive comments about BA! Nice job Brandon  :razorback:

ricepig

Quote from: Wildhog on January 30, 2016, 04:04:25 pm
Looked great on that last drive.  Mayock was gushing over him.

He'll get drafted, and most of us didn't think that going into this season.

bulldog04

No doubt BA has the best arm at the senior bowl

yraciv

Very disappointing that J Wil isn't playing! If I were another SR eligible RB, I'd be very disappointed I didn't get the invite when a back that can't go through contact is there instead of me.  Of course I'm glad J Wil at least got a look in front of scouts even if he isn't playing.

elksnort

Quote from: ricepig on January 30, 2016, 04:04:19 pm
surprises can be nice

Justagp

Quote from: ricepig on January 30, 2016, 04:04:19 pm

What a difference a year under Enos made.

alohawg

Quote from: WorfHog on January 30, 2016, 04:02:09 pm
They were saying during the week that he would not play.

Disappointing.
"It's difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️
https://t.me/covidbc

Pigsknuckles

BA moved the team, made the throws, and made the good decisions. Plus, he proved he could escape pressure, and run or the 1st down. Didnt hurt his draft stock at all.
"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

sickboy

BA is going to end up finishing with the best numbers out of any QB at the Senior Bowl. Finishes 7/10 for 106 yards.

factchecker

This right here gets you some $$$$$

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-partner="tweetdeck"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Brandon Allen climbs pocket, shows arm strength and accuracy <a href="https://t.co/3DnrA03HX1">https://t.co/3DnrA03HX1</a></p>&mdash; IDthe22 (@idthe22) <a href="https://twitter.com/idthe22/status/693554240430673920">January 30, 2016</a></blockquote>
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

hoglady

Quote from: factchecker on January 30, 2016, 04:16:29 pm
This right here gets you some $$$$$

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-partner="tweetdeck"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Brandon Allen climbs pocket, shows arm strength and accuracy <a href="https://t.co/3DnrA03HX1">https://t.co/3DnrA03HX1</a></p>&mdash; IDthe22 (@idthe22) <a href="https://twitter.com/idthe22/status/693554240430673920">January 30, 2016</a></blockquote>

Plus it didn't hurt that it was Gronk's little brother that caught that pass.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

factchecker

<blockquote class="twitter-video" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Brandon Allen with a heck of a third quarter. 7-10 &amp; a game high 106 yards passing. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/SeniorBowl?src=hash">#SeniorBowl</a>; <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/WPS?src=hash">#WPS</a>; <a href="https://t.co/tracBH9yry">https://t.co/tracBH9yry</a></p>&mdash; Chase Shannon (@chase_shannon) <a href="https://twitter.com/chase_shannon/status/693559571420307458">January 30, 2016</a></blockquote>

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

hoglady

I wish they would expand on the time the offense got the ball in the 3rd quarter.
BA put up those numbers in a really limited amount of time.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."

factchecker

This is not final stats and I'm am not sure of the validity:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-partner="tweetdeck"><p lang="da" dir="ltr"><a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/SeniorBowl?src=hash">#SeniorBowl</a>; stats<br>Carson Wentz 6/10 50 yds 0 TD<br><br>Brandon Allen 7/10 106 yds 0 TD<br><br>Dak Prescott 7/10 61 yds 1 TD</p>&mdash; Football Drafting (@FootballDraftin) <a href="https://twitter.com/FootballDraftin/status/693562942558752768">January 30, 2016</a></blockquote>
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

opineonswine

factchecker

Quote from: opineonswine on January 30, 2016, 04:42:38 pm
Dak named MVP

He made some plays with his feet and got the ball into the end zone.  However, he did not play much if any better than Brandon.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

longtimeHogfan

I was really bummed out that 32 didn't get on the field.  I didn't have any trouble spotting the helmets on 73 & 10 though.  They stand out! 

And speaking of Sebastian Tretola....I saw him on the ground a lot.  I don't know how they grade linemen, or even if they do in a game like the Senior Bowl, but from my recliner he didn't look like he was having a great day.  I saw him on the ground several times with his guy going unchecked into the backfield.  Hope I just missed something....
I don't like to plan my day because then the word premeditated comes into the conversation.

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: factchecker on January 30, 2016, 04:45:38 pm
He made some plays with his feet and got the ball into the end zone.  However, he did not play much if any better than Brandon.

Not as well IMHO.
He played fine but was a bit indecisive on a few of his passes and didn't project that feeling of, ''Don't worry, I've got this @#$%'' that I felt from BA since mid-season.

Does anybody else know what Im getting at, or am I on an island?  Expound?

Oh, he (Dak) also wasn't quite as accurate.  Most of BAs passes hit the receiver in stride for maximum YAC or were lasers so that the defense couldn't make a play on them.  BA also made a very good scramble that the commentators complimented him on.  They also called him''nifty'' with good decision making.  Said he knows about adversity, so that wouldn't be a worry with him.  Said his arm is very ''live''.
His response to me:
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 13, 2016, 11:48:33 am
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

ricepig

Quote from: longtimeHogfan on January 30, 2016, 05:09:34 pm
I was really bummed out that 32 didn't get on the field.  I didn't have any trouble spotting the helmets on 73 & 10 though.  They stand out! 

And speaking of Sebastian Tretola....I saw him on the ground a lot.  I don't know how they grade linemen, or even if they do in a game like the Senior Bowl, but from my recliner he didn't look like he was having a great day.  I saw him on the ground several times with his guy going unchecked into the backfield.  Hope I just missed something....

I thought just the opposite, he buried his man several times, and showed good agility on pulling plays.

longtimeHogfan

Quote from: ricepig on January 30, 2016, 05:14:52 pm
I thought just the opposite, he buried his man several times, and showed good agility on pulling plays.

Well I hope you're right.  Maybe I just caught him at an awkward moment.  And I did see him pull and block effectively several times. 
I don't like to plan my day because then the word premeditated comes into the conversation.

WBOBO

BA to Gronk with a high five following.  I liked it.         
The difference between ordinary and extraordinary is that little extra.

factchecker

I'm glad people were able to see B.A.'s mobility as well. 

Brandon isn't a burner.  He isn't a freak of nature globetrotter like Manziel.  He does have great quarterback speed.  That speed isn't governed by the amount of fast-twitch muscles in your hamstrings but rather the ability to see a play develop, feel the pressure, step up in the pocket, and decide to check down or take off running.  Brandon looked great!
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

WBOBO

When little Gronk gave BA a hug when they came off the field, that will tell you something.
And I'm sorry if I ever posted anything bad about BA.  I don't think I did but if so I was WRONG.
The difference between ordinary and extraordinary is that little extra.

OPoraquê

I'm guessing it would be hard to find, in modern college football history, a quarterback who didn't even make all-conference yet had accomplishments like:

- Bowl MVP (Texas Bowl 2014)
- School career and game passing touchdown record holder
- One of four quarterbacks to earn both the top single-game and season ESPN Total Quarterback Rating ( for the 2015 season; only 3 other quarterbacks have done that since the ranking was started in 2004, and pretty much every big-name college DI QB has made either one or the other, including multiple Heisman winners)
- Leading passer and QB rating in Senior Bowl 2016.

Hope this kids gets at least one shot with the NFL team that would be the best and provide the best coaching for him.

(EDIT: and all the young dude had to compete against not just in his own conference but in his own division were the 2015 Heisman winner, the 2015 national champions and the 2016 Senior Bowl MVP.)

Gifftedone

I was at the Senior Bowl. Brandon Allen and Sebastian Tretolla were the only players who walked to the fence and signed autographs for me and my younger brother. Sebastian joked around while Brandon ran back to the bus and grabbed his practice jersey. He gave it to my brother and thanked us for coming out. Both players were extremely friendly and class acts.

RaisinHog

Quote from: Gifftedone on January 30, 2016, 06:21:36 pm
I was at the Senior Bowl. Brandon Allen and Sebastian Tretolla were the only players who walked to the fence and signed autographs for me and my younger brother. Sebastian joked around while Brandon ran back to the bus and grabbed his practice jersey. He gave it to my brother and thanked us for coming out. Both players were extremely friendly and class acts.

That's freaking awsome man

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: factchecker on January 30, 2016, 05:39:00 pm
I'm glad people were able to see B.A.'s mobility as well. 

Brandon isn't a burner.  He isn't a freak of nature globetrotter like Manziel.  He does have great quarterback speed.  That speed isn't governed by the amount of fast-twitch muscles in your hamstrings but rather the ability to see a play develop, feel the pressure, step up in the pocket, and decide to check down or take off running.  Brandon looked great!
Sometimes with a QB it's not necessarily the guy that's fastest, has the biggest arms, or the gaudy stats. Sometimes it just comes down to having the football "smarts"/intelligence and the work ethic to make up for the lack some of the physical gifts that others have. I believe that when you think of Brandon that's what you get. Oh yeah, his talent isn't exactly shabby either.

I think the hope that "good things happen to good people" is totally at work here. I believe that if anyone deserves success BA certainly does!

Gifftedone

Quote from: RaisinHog on January 30, 2016, 06:37:24 pm
That's freaking awsome man

Yeah, completely different than my last experience when Tyler Wilson and Cobi Hamilton were there. Both TW and CH seemed as if it was a hassle to deal with the fans.

BA and ST seemed to really enjoy fan interaction.

bennyl08

Quote from: ricepig on January 30, 2016, 05:14:52 pm

He was good on running plays and did show good agility on pulling plays.

However, there were multiple passing plays where he got beat, one play in particular where the defensive tackle beat Tretola one on one about as soon as the qb had his hands on the ball.

Further, there was that one pulling play were Tretola was pretty slow getting to his spot and forced the rb to wait extra long. Now, from the looks of it, it seemed his first priority was making sure nobody got through the line on his way to the spot (he was shuffling behind line with his hands in front in such a way as to be ready to make a block at any given second rather than full on sprinting to get there, so my critique on his slowness on that play may simply be a function of what his assignment actually was) and besides, the play went for a good gain and the commentators talked about him positively.

However, overall in the practice reports and such, you didn't see much about Tretola. I don't think he hurt his draft stock any at the combine and probably improved it a bit, but he didn't seem to make a big impression for better or for worse.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

ricepig

Quote from: bennyl08 on January 30, 2016, 06:52:57 pm
He was good on running plays and did show good agility on pulling plays.

However, there were multiple passing plays where he got beat, one play in particular where the defensive tackle beat Tretola one on one about as soon as the qb had his hands on the ball.

Further, there was that one pulling play were Tretola was pretty slow getting to his spot and forced the rb to wait extra long. Now, from the looks of it, it seemed his first priority was making sure nobody got through the line on his way to the spot (he was shuffling behind line with his hands in front in such a way as to be ready to make a block at any given second rather than full on sprinting to get there, so my critique on his slowness on that play may simply be a function of what his assignment actually was) and besides, the play went for a good gain and the commentators talked about him positively.

However, overall in the practice reports and such, you didn't see much about Tretola. I don't think he hurt his draft stock any at the combine and probably improved it a bit, but he didn't seem to make a big impression for better or for worse.

I'll leave it to the NFL scouts.

bennyl08

Quote from: ricepig on January 30, 2016, 07:10:29 pm
I'll leave it to the NFL scouts.

Who have approximately the same assessment I do? He is a mauler in the run game, is very nimble and quick for his size, and projects anywhere from the 2nd to the 5th round.

Do you deny what he got whooped on that passing play?

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-videos/0ap3000000630373/2016-Senior-Bowl-highlights

Here you can a play where Tretola does well on one passing play where he is part of a double team, and you can also see Tretola struggle on Prescott's TD pass.
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

ricepig

Quote from: bennyl08 on January 30, 2016, 07:36:31 pm
Who have approximately the same assessment I do? He is a mauler in the run game, is very nimble and quick for his size, and projects anywhere from the 2nd to the 5th round.

I didn't watch every play, but I also know that lots of guys got "whooped" on many plays. I haven't spoken with any of the 32 teams scouts, so I don't know what they've said.

PorcineSublime

Quote from: bennyl08 on January 30, 2016, 07:36:31 pm

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-videos/0ap3000000630373/2016-Senior-Bowl-highlights

Here you can a play where Tretola does well on one passing play where he is part of a double team, and you can also see Tretola struggle on Prescott's TD pass.
The commentators were saying that the guy they had him on had beaten everyone they put on him all week in practice, so apparently there was that.
Sittin in the morning sun, I'll be sittin here when evening comes.

LZH

Go back and look at all my posts regarding Brandon since, well, forever, and ever, and ever, and ever.......

I told you so.
I told you so.
I told you so.

You're welcome.

thebignasty

Quote from: LZH on January 30, 2016, 07:49:56 pm
Go back and look at all my posts regarding Brandon since, well, forever, and ever, and ever, and ever.......

I told you so.
I told you so.
I told you so.

You're welcome.

Me too fwiw.

Broken clock is right twice a day.

LZH

Quote from: thebignasty on January 30, 2016, 07:51:55 pm
Me too fwiw.

Broken clock is right twice a day.

Especially the really smart ones.........

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: SooiecidetillNuttgone on January 30, 2016, 05:08:37 pm
Not as well IMHO.
He played fine but was a bit indecisive on a few of his passes and didn't project that feeling of, ''Don't worry, I've got this @#$%'' that I felt from BA since mid-season.

Does anybody else know what Im getting at, or am I on an island?  Expound?

Oh, he (Dak) also wasn't quite as accurate.  Most of BAs passes hit the receiver in stride for maximum YAC or were lasers so that the defense couldn't make a play on them.  BA also made a very good scramble that the commentators complimented him on.  They also called him''nifty'' with good decision making.  Said he knows about adversity, so that wouldn't be a worry with him.  Said his arm is very ''live''.

Would anyone like to please add to or discuss my previous post?
His response to me:
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

TebowHater

Quote from: SooiecidetillNuttgone on January 30, 2016, 08:23:40 pm

I felt very much like BA had his mid-season "I got this sh*t form." He had extremely minimal time in the game (opposing team had very long drive consuming almost the entire quarter). So his second drive they had little time left on clock and he starts marching them down the field, he makes a great play with his feet to get close to the 45 yard line. Gets called back for holding so he is then at his own like 10 or 15. 1:30 left at most, no problem. Marches team all the way down field to about opponents 15. Then it is 3rd and 3 and a limited playbook has him throw a very basic fade out concept and the CB made a good play on Gronk. The drive was the BA I saw against the MS schools. He was the best QB on the field and is the most under rated player in this draft. I hope he is the next Drew Brees--very sick of this hand size "issue."

Also, BA is the most NFL ready. If you noticed with Dak he never made any checks at the line. BA was up at the line making checks and mike calls. Being a successful QB at the NFL level is as much about decision making as it is physical ability. These factors intelligence/decision making are why TW didn't work out -- not hand size as the announcers claimed today.

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: TebowHater on January 30, 2016, 08:33:48 pm
I felt very much like BA had his mid-season "I got this sh*t form." He had extremely minimal time in the game (opposing team had very long drive consuming almost the entire quarter). So his second drive they had little time left on clock and he starts marching them down the field, he makes a great play with his feet to get close to the 45 yard line. Gets called back for holding so he is then at his own like 10 or 15. 1:30 left at most, no problem. Marches team all the way down field to about opponents 15. Then it is 3rd and 3 and a limited playbook has him throw a very basic fade out concept and the CB made a good play on Gronk. The drive was the BA I saw against the MS schools. He was the best QB on the field and is the most under rated player in this draft. I hope he is the next Drew Brees--very sick of this hand size "issue."

Also, BA is the most NFL ready. If you noticed with Dak he never made any checks at the line. BA was up at the line making checks and mike calls. Being a successful QB at the NFL level is as much about decision making as it is physical ability. These factors intelligence/decision making are why TW didn't work out -- not hand size as the announcers claimed today.

While I now have a basic understanding as to why teams look at this, I wish it were just another ''measurable'' and not a deal breaker.  According to the commentators, for some teams it is though.

Like you, I'm really hoping fot a Chad Pennington/Drew Brees story out of this.
His response to me:

TebowHater

LZH

Quote from: SooiecidetillNuttgone on January 30, 2016, 08:23:40 pm

Give 'em hell buddy........

hoglady

Dak probably got the MVP because he led the team to a touchdown.
That's the only reason I can see.

bennyl08

Quote from: PorcineSublime on January 30, 2016, 07:47:38 pm
The commentators were saying that the guy they had him on had beaten everyone they put on him all week in practice, so apparently there was that.

Yeah, the DT class is strong with this one. The guards for both teams were given all they could handle and more. I thought that given the level of competition, Tretola performed well. He won more often than he lost, and as in the video I posted, even though he got beat on the td throw, he was able to fight long enough to allow Dak to make the throw and moreover not take a hit. So, overall, that is a victory, but not a clean one, kind of the opposite of a moral victory. At the end of the day, he did what he needed to do for that play, but if it took Dak 1 second longer, Prescott would be eating grass. So, room for improvement. However, most of the guards struggled vs these DT's as you said.

Pig In The City

Quote from: TebowHater on January 30, 2016, 08:33:48 pm

He actually made the wrong throw on the play to Gronk. Looks like he had the other receiver wide open for a TD.

ALLVOL

Quote from: Justagp on January 30, 2016, 04:11:52 pm
What a difference a year under Enos made.
I would say what a difference receivers actually catching the ball makes. The kid has always put the ball where it needs to be. Until this year Henry was pretty much the only good hands he had to throw to. Many, many people on this site should appologize to Brandon.

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: ALLVOL on January 31, 2016, 08:35:19 am
I would say what a difference receivers actually catching the ball makes. The kid has always put the ball where it needs to be. Until this year Henry was pretty much the only good hands he had to throw to. Many, many people on this site should appologize to Brandon.

No joke.
And yeah, I like Enos, but it's been reported on here by people who would know, that the improvement of BA was more about receivers being where they are supposed to be, catching the ball instead of swatting at it.

However, it's the same mantra over and over and over again:  ''Gee, that Enos is a bona fide genius.  He sure improved BA a gazillion fold.  I loves me some Enos.  Derrrrrrrrrrrr.''
His response to me:

greenEGnHAWGS

Quote from: SooiecidetillNuttgone on January 31, 2016, 09:39:14 am
No joke.
And yeah, I like Enos, but it's been reported on here by people who would know, that the improvement of BA was more about receivers being where they are supposed to be, catching the ball instead of swatting at it.

However, it's the same mantra over and over and over again:  ''Gee, that Enos is a bona fide genius.  He sure improved BA a gazillion fold.  I loves me some Enos.  Derrrrrrrrrrrr.''

Wow. You're making it sound like if someone believes Enos made a difference in BA then they're complete morons.

I fully agree that the emergence of Reed and Morgan have done wonders for BA, but the Enos play calling and obvious QB experience have helped his mental aspect.

Wait...should I have ended that with...derrrrr
Did they get you to trade a walk on part in the war, for a lead role in a cage...?