Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Senior Bowl news

Started by bennyl08, January 26, 2016, 12:56:23 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

bennyl08

The weigh ins have happened.

Brandon Allen: 6'1.4", 212 pounds, hands listed as 848, so I'm guessing that is 8 1/2" hands? (NFL.com article mentions Hogan having 10 1/8 hands and that is listed as 1018 fwiw, but why 4/8ths instead of 812 or something?) Arm 30.5", wingspan, 74 3/8ths

We had him listed as 6'2" 210.

Will he suffer similar fate to Tyler Wilson? What is it with Arkansas and having small handed qbs?

Sebastian Tretola: 6'4.2" 317 pounds. 10" hands, 30.5: arms, 75" wingspan
Our listing 6'5 334, However, it is talked about him trimming down some more and considering 2 years ago he was 370, that makes sense. Though, perhaps we weren't the biggest OL after all?

Jonathan Williams: 5'10.7" 219 10" hands, 30.75" arms, and 76 7/8" wingspan.
We list him 6' 223. So, he is significantly shorter than we list by about an inch. However, he's got some orangutan arms going on.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

Craig O Squeal

An inch is significant? (I'm just going to leave that here for interpretation! :) )

HOGINTENNESSEE

not great news for him. But what he can still do is play well infront of NFL scouts for a full week in practice

dacskc

Didnt NFL.com stream untelevised practices last year? The South is supposed to practice today at 1:15, but I'm not finding any coverage. Anyone remember watching it last year? I may be totally wrong or have it confused with combine coverage or something.

Hogsolo

Do those measurements hurt Tretola?  His arms and wingspan are about J Will's?   

I know the NFL likes long arms on the OL

bennyl08

Quote from: IAMHogholio on January 26, 2016, 01:39:25 pm
Do those measurements hurt Tretola?  His arms and wingspan are about J Will's?   

I know the NFL likes long arms on the OL

That is more important for a tackle than a guard. Proper proportions have your wingspan equal to your height. Tretola is one inch lower. Allen is a bit long in the arms, and 5'11 JWill has the armspan of somebody who is 6'5.
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

VirginiaHog

Being a guard its not as bad as tackles.

flippinhogmana

Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

VirginiaHog

Not sure how to inbed tweets, but Eric Galko says Jwill is arguably the best rb there. He is with Optimum Scouting.

ricepig

Quote from: dacskc on January 26, 2016, 01:33:44 pm
Didnt NFL.com stream untelevised practices last year? The South is supposed to practice today at 1:15, but I'm not finding any coverage. Anyone remember watching it last year? I may be totally wrong or have it confused with combine coverage or something.

http://www.arkansasrazorbacks.com/trio-begins-senior-bowl-week/

BornaHog

Good news for Brandon Allen!   Check out this scouting services' report on today's pratice.

https://twitter.com/OptimumScouting

Born a HOG and will die a HOG, but that's not the only way to become a HOG

hawginbigd1

hawginbigd1

Jackrabbit Hog

I wasn't aware that Brandon's mother changed her name to "Eric Galko."

I kid.  I kid.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

HOGINTENNESSEE

BA balled out today. Hands thing however is a big issue for a lot of teams

hawgmasta

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on January 26, 2016, 04:37:19 pm
BA balled out today. Hands thing however is a big issue for a lot of teams

He is getting a lot of positive feedback but as you said hands are important to NFL coaches/GMs. We know Tyler went in the fourth with hands the same size though; and from what I've heard, obviously I don't know for a fact, but it's said Brandon is a very cerebral guy and will do well at picking up playbooks and reading a defense. As long as you have a decent arm being a smart QB is the most important trait.

Look at guys like Ryan Fitzpatrick; isn't known for dominating anything physically but has a good (not great) arm and is extremely intelligent.

Uncommon

Quote from: Tyro3 on January 26, 2016, 05:58:25 pm
Not sure if serious?
Of course not.  I was outraged he was originally not on the Senior Bowl roster considering who the quarterbacks were for the South team.

bennyl08

http://www.draftindy.com/?p=1024

A pretty nice writeup about JWill, a guy who has gone pretty unnoticed by many in relation to the NFL since his injury. However, with the Senior Bowl and the combine, somebody is going to get a steal.

IronHog

Tyler Wilson didn't fail in NFL due to arm or hand size.

It was all the thinking part.
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

KennyForAD

hoglady

Didn't realize BA had small hands.
The guy tweeting info in an earlier tweet said BA would automatically be taken off some teams boards due to the hand size.
But I believe he's got the smarts to overcome that.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

Hogarusa

It must be a real crappy feeling to know that teams wont draft you due to the size of your hand
I'll ride the wave where it takes me

greenEGnHAWGS

Good to see BA getting some momentum heading into the draft. But it's crazy to me that hands size would play such a large role in drafting a QB.

Anyone know of any NFL QBs that have small hands? Brees? Guy can't have that large of hands, can he?
Did they get you to trade a walk on part in the war, for a lead role in a cage...?

onebadrubi

Quote from: greenEGnHAWGS on January 26, 2016, 07:01:12 pm
Good to see BA getting some momentum heading into the draft. But it's crazy to me that hands size would play such a large role in drafting a QB.

Anyone know of any NFL QBs that have small hands? Brees? Guy can't have that large of hands, can he?

I think he actually has freakishly big hands for being a small guy

Edit: he and Russell wilson both have 10.25". BA's size will definitely hurt him.  Small hands have been historically hard to hold on to the ball in bad weather and easier to knock lose when the huddle collapses

COCHISE

Quote from: bennyl08 on January 26, 2016, 12:56:23 pm
Sebastian Tretola: 6'4.2" 317 pounds. 10" hands, 30.5: arms, 75" wingspan
Our listing 6'5 334, However, it is talked about him trimming down some more and considering 2 years ago he was 370, that makes sense. Though, perhaps we weren't the biggest OL after all?

Maybe not. But those guys consume an INSANE number of calories during the season to keep their weight up. If he slacked off on that diet since the season ended and continued exercising, losing that kind of weight wouldn't be unheard of.

murthage

Yahoo article on importance of height and hand size:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/exploring-qb-hand-size-075800351--nfl.html

"Small-Handed Quarterbacks Who Excel

There are some quarterbacks with small hands who have bucked the trend to play well in the NFL, too. But as I studied those quarterbacks, it became clear that the majority have one thing in common—mobility. Some of the top small-handed quarterbacks to play in the past decade include Michael Vick (historically small 8.5-inch hands), Colin Kaepernick (9.13 inches), Robert Griffin III (9.5 inches), Daunte Culpepper (9.5 inches), Aaron Rodgers (9.38 inches), and Tony Romo (8.86 inches)."

Note: Tony Romo is 6' 2"

I seems that if you are short with smaller hands, the equalizer is mobility.

IronHog

Quote from: Hogarusa on January 26, 2016, 06:43:44 pm
It must be a real crappy feeling to know that teams wont draft you due to the size of your hand

6'2" with 9" hands is a pretty big dude.

Just not in the NFL
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

DeltaBoy

Thanks and Best of Luck to all our Hogs.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

CJ HOG

SIAP. Nice write-up on BA from the Senior Bowl practices down in Mobile.

Arkansas' Brandon Allen Worth Investing in at the Senior Bowl Despite Hand Size

http://m.bleacherreport.com/articles/2611452-arkansass-brandon-allen-worth-investing-in-at-the-senior-bowl-despite-hand-size

DeltaBoy

Quote from: CJ HOG on January 27, 2016, 12:47:12 pm
SIAP. Nice write-up on BA from the Senior Bowl practices down in Mobile.

Arkansas' Brandon Allen Worth Investing in at the Senior Bowl Despite Hand Size

http://m.bleacherreport.com/articles/2611452-arkansass-brandon-allen-worth-investing-in-at-the-senior-bowl-despite-hand-size

That Boy is a GAMER!
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

a0ashle

http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/nfl/47036/311/exploring-qb-hand-size

Seems relevant, while it does call out pro QBs with small hands (Aaron Rodgers is one) they are almost all over 9". That said...the QBs who excelled with small hands also had mobility, BA has mobility and accuracy on the run.

Edit: Murthage beat me to it.

swinesation

I've heard the biggest issue with hand size in the NFL is the ability to quickly fake pump.

code red

Weren't snap exchanges a issue for Brandon a couple years ago.  Seems like their were several.....the one that comes to mind is one vs. Texas A&M 2 years ago.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

COCHISE

You would think watching film of 37 SEC games would quell any fears they might have about hand size and fumbling. If it hasn't been an issue to this point, it's probably not going to develop into one.

ricepig

Practice is on ESPNU currently, looks like all of our guys chose the Chrome helmet.

GoHogs1091

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on January 26, 2016, 04:09:22 pm
https://twitter.com/OptimumScouting/status/692090187598422016

D.J. Reader is a solid Defensive Tackle.  He is not flashy, but he is effective.

He is stout, listed on Clemson's Roster as 6'3" 325 lbs.  That is larger than Alabama's NFL Draft DTs, A'Shawn Robinson, listed as 312 lbs. and Jarran Reed, listed as 313 lbs.

Reader should have a good NFL career.  The NFL looks for DTs who are good at winning the point-of-attack, and Reader is difficult for opposing Offensive Linemen to win against at the point-of-attack.

PorkRinds

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on January 27, 2016, 03:14:34 pm
D.J. Reader is a solid Defensive Tackle.  He is not flashy, but he is effective.

He is stout, listed on Clemson's Roster as 6'3" 325 lbs.  That is larger than Alabama's NFL Draft DTs, A'Shawn Robinson, listed as 312 lbs. and Jarran Reed, listed as 313 lbs.

Reader should have a good NFL career.  The NFL looks for DTs who are good at winning the point-of-attack, and Reader is difficult for opposing Offensive Linemen to win against at the point-of-attack.

You're the only one that cares about Clemson players.  The rest of us like that tweet because of BA.

GoHogs1091

Quote from: PorkRinds on January 27, 2016, 03:21:05 pm
You're the only one that cares about Clemson players.  The rest of us like that tweet because of BA.

It is cool that BA is on that tweet.  His hand size is a definite problem though.

With games being played in cold weather places such as Buffalo, Green Bay, Chicago, Denver, Minneapolis, New Jersey, Philadelphia, and Pittsburgh, the hand size of a QB becomes a very looked at aspect by NFL Head Coaches and NFL General Managers.

ricepig

I know it isn't game action, but Tretola looks a whole lot faster.

dacskc

Sometimes I wonder if these guys tweeting from practice are watching the same thing. A couple are really liking BA, some not so much. Makes you wonder how many of these scouts are only interested in confirming their own suspicions.

atekido

large hands play a huge factor in passing.  alot of QB's have the army strength but not the grip to hold the ball well enough to throw it as hard as they can.

LZH

Quote from: atekido on January 27, 2016, 06:43:01 pm
large hands play a huge factor in passing.  alot of QB's have the army strength but not the grip to hold the ball well enough to throw it as hard as they can.

There it is.

bennyl08

Quote from: dacskc on January 27, 2016, 05:23:51 pm
Sometimes I wonder if these guys tweeting from practice are watching the same thing. A couple are really liking BA, some not so much. Makes you wonder how many of these scouts are only interested in confirming their own suspicions.

That, but also there are different priorities. One person may look for how quickly he reads the defense and goes through his progressions, another may care about footwork and throwing mechanics, a third may care mostly about where the accuracy and placement of the ball. I haven't been able to watch the practices myself, and your assessment could be the largest factor, but it is possible that people are judging play off of different aspects and weight the importance of each differently.

ricepig

Quote from: bennyl08 on January 27, 2016, 07:27:22 pm
That, but also there are different priorities. One person may look for how quickly he reads the defense and goes through his progressions, another may care about footwork and throwing mechanics, a third may care mostly about where the accuracy and placement of the ball. I haven't been able to watch the practices myself, and your assessment could be the largest factor, but it is possible that people are judging play off of different aspects and weight the importance of each differently.

Or they are tweeting after different plays. What little I watched, none of the South QB's did much.

hoglady

Brandon addressed that in an interview. Said playing baseball really helped him with his grip strength and carried over into gripping the football.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

tolle72120

the age old question does size matter

oldfart

I never thought i had particularly big hands (9.5) but at 78 i can still palm a basketball

bennyl08

Quote from: oldfart on January 27, 2016, 09:45:40 pm
I never thought i had particularly big hands (9.5) but at 78 i can still palm a basketball

Allen's hands are bigger than mine, but not by much and I'm only 5'7". I can't palm a basketball.

urkillnmesmalls

I don't recall BA being in the military, but that should also look good on his resume.  ;)   
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.