Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Wes Johnson - New Pitching Coach

Started by schmidt2301, June 15, 2016, 01:11:03 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

schmidt2301

Reports say that we hired Wes Johnson of Mississippi State as our new pitching coach. Wonder if this does anything for us with the big lefty Hunter Milligan (2017) from Greenbrier that was committed to MSU. Anyone got any insight?

Knot2brite

I am hearing Johnson hired....and Vitello staying
Usually in EI where intelligent conversation is required

jry04

Quote from: Knot2brite on June 15, 2016, 01:35:50 pm
Great news on the 2nd part. Johnson is definitely hired, though.

dbhog

That is a great twosome to go with DVH!!!  Go Hogs!!!

PorkRyan

Great hire.  Johnson is on the cutting edge of velocity and pitcher training.  He was a staple at the Texas Baseball Ranch and has done stuff with Driveline and The Armory.  The throwing volume and throwing intent will ramp up for our pitchers.  Weighted ball training will become a staple of the program.  It will be very similar to what Vanderbilt is doing.  A lot of the young arms around the country are going to those baseball training facilities and having a guy that believes in that type of training should only help recruit pitchers to Arkansas. 

Maddhog

Really?  TV staying would be awesome.
"He hits from both sides of the plate.  He's amphibious."

bulldog04

HoopS

Razorbacks#1

That is awesome news!
"You sleep safely in your beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.

THUNDER!

dotnet

Do we have confirmation on Vitello?  Can we really know that until Missouri is resolved?

Knot2brite

Quote from: dotnet on June 15, 2016, 05:11:27 pm
Do we have confirmation on Vitello?  Can we really know that until Missouri is resolved?
I have only heard from people that talk directly to him...they say he has said he was staying...things have a way of changing over night

hog.goblin

Ray Piggers

I'm basically Darkwing Duck

Jackrabbit Hog

Coach Johnson was my son's high school coach.  He is a first class individual and a fantastic coach.  The players will love him and will run through walls for him.  Aside from me (hopefully), he has been the biggest influence in my son's life.  I am ecstatic over the hire.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

Dwight_K_Shrute

I'm calling it a Home Run hire.  Get a guy of this caliber and take from a division foe at the same time.  Two run shot at a minimum.  MSU went from last to first and went from SEC worst ERA last year.  Sound familiar?  Could be a huge piece in a quick turnaround for the Hogs.  Mrs. DKS isn't happy though.  She is a State alum. 
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

LAHOG1962

Coach Van Horn could not have made a better hire.
Hog pitching  will be just fine.

TebowHater

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on June 15, 2016, 07:44:34 pm
I'm calling it a Home Run hire.  Get a guy of this caliber and take from a division foe at the same time.  Two run shot at a minimum.  MSU went from last to first and went from SEC worst ERA last year.  Sound familiar?  Could be a huge piece in a quick turnaround for the Hogs.  Mrs. DKS isn't happy though.  She is a State alum.

I am sure we are putting a little bit more in her purse, which might help a bit. She will also quickly learn how much better NWA is than Starkville (which I am sure CWJ knows).

HogsonHicks

Quote from: TebowHater on June 15, 2016, 08:05:39 pm
I am sure we are putting a little bit more in her purse, which might help a bit. She will also quickly learn how much better NWA is than Starkville (which I am sure CWJ knows).

I think he meant his wife, not the coach's.

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: HogsonHicks on June 15, 2016, 08:10:43 pm
I think he meant his wife, not the coach's.

Exactly, hence the use of DKS.  Mrs. Dwight K Shrute, an Mstate alum.  After 15 years she does realize NWA is better than Starkville although we are still fond of the place.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

TebowHater

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on June 15, 2016, 09:42:18 pm
Exactly, hence the use of DKS.  Mrs. Dwight K Shrute, an Mstate alum.  After 15 years she does realize NWA is better than Starkville although we are still fond of the place.

Lol yep - that went right over my head. Apologies.

#WoooPig hire in any event

jackflash

I wonder who left to recruit. With losing three arms to Major league. wonder who they are looking at

Knot2brite

Vitello was in Florida this last week

Tortfeasor

Maybe Johnson can bring some 2017 recruits with him. I personally know one of his recruits and would love for him to pitch in the hill. He's a kid that I have discussed on here before who, as a junior, throws in the low 90's and has some nasty pitches. Exactly what we need.

dotnet

Not sure where this should be mentioned - but MSU did alright for themselves in replacing Johnson.  They got Gary Henderson (i think that is his name), the former UK head coach.  If memory serves me right, Cohen was his AC  before he went to MSU. 

Henderson is a very good pitching coach and should help them keep rolling.