Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

College World Series Thread

Started by Dr. Starcs, June 14, 2016, 12:18:23 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Tigaman

Quote from: southarkhog06 on June 21, 2016, 07:48:27 pm
How does Florida always choke so hard in Omaha with all that talent?

I don't know about this year but in the past they tend to rely on homeruns for a big part of their offense. Omaha is a pitchers' park so their offense struggles when they get there.

DiamondHogFan

I don't see Coastal or UCSB having the arms to take it to the end.  Arizona maybe, Texas Tech maybe.  Being that it looks like TCU or OSU will most likely take the crown this year, who do we like best out of those two?

The Big 12 has been impressive this postseason. 

Maddhog

I don't have a rooting interest but I have seen some good baseball.   
"He hits from both sides of the plate.  He's amphibious."

dotnet

I don't think this Florida team is as good as the one when they were on the Arkansas side of the bracket and they lost to USCe and Kent State to be eliminated. 

Regardless, the playoffs are a crap shoot in such a small sample size.  Florida should take the consistent runs of national seeds and be happy.

There is no way the state of Florida can have a program with a legendary coach for that many years who consistently is a national seed or hosts regionals and doesn't eventually win a CWS.

Razorback7281

Quote from: dotnet on June 22, 2016, 10:47:08 am

There is no way the state of Florida can have a program with a legendary coach for that many years who consistently is a national seed or hosts regionals and doesn't eventually win a CWS.
Nole way anything like that could ever happen. ;)
Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on September 16, 2015, 08:55:43 pmgurantee I'm smarter then you..but that's not saying much.
Quote from: talley on September 17, 2015, 09:53:38 am
you misspelled "Guarantee" while trying to talk about how smart you are.  Epic Fail.
Quote from: Lanny on October 16, 2015, 07:37:58 am
Good job everyone except Faldon.

rhog1

I can't believe coastal is bringing this pitcher back out in the 9th with 122 pitches.

rhog1

It worked out for them but man 136 pitches is a lot. I will be rooting for coastal to take it again tomorrow.

PorkRyan

Arizona coach has already been taking a lot of heat for using Bannister twice in 3 days and having him throw around 100 pitches each time. Plus, he's thrown over 100 pitches 9 times in the last 8 weeks. Him leaving the game with elbow issues is just going add more fuel to the fire.

Dr. Starcs

I just caught part of this afternoons game between Arizona and Okie St. I didnt have the sound on, but let me explain what I saw happen and then maybe someone can explain what the rule was for me.

Arizona had runners on 1st and 2nd. 1 out. Batter at the plate with two strikes swings and misses. Ball gets away from the catcher, both runners advance.

Batter is called out and both runners are moved back to 1st and 2nd. I thought runners could advance at their own risk on a dropped third strike, but maybe I missed something.

Anyone see it or can help?

PonderinHog

June 25, 2016, 04:34:36 pm #59 Last Edit: June 25, 2016, 05:10:24 pm by PonderinHog
^^^Blown Call ?  Some kind of interference, maybe?  Is that the play where he missed and the ball hit his foot?

hogman64

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on June 25, 2016, 03:27:29 pm
I just caught part of this afternoons game between Arizona and Okie St. I didnt have the sound on, but let me explain what I saw happen and then maybe someone can explain what the rule was for me.

Arizona had runners on 1st and 2nd. 1 out. Batter at the plate with two strikes swings and misses. Ball gets away from the catcher, both runners advance.

Batter is called out and both runners are moved back to 1st and 2nd. I thought runners could advance at their own risk on a dropped third strike, but maybe I missed something.

Anyone see it or can help?

the umpire was probably asleep  who could watch Arizona and not be bored and sleepy,, one of the teams I didn't want to see in the finals..

TikiHog

swung and missed and it hit him so the balls dead and the runners had to go back

Dr. Starcs

Aha. And he's still out on that because of the swing.

Thanks

PorkRyan

Quote from: TikiHog on June 25, 2016, 06:13:24 pm
swung and missed and it hit him so the balls dead and the runners had to go back

Thanks for the explanation. I was listening to it on the radio and couldn't figure out what happened. They never mentioned it hit him.

Knot2brite

Let's go Shonts....I have rooted for them since the beginning and hope they beat Zona...so glad that it is a different type of CWS championship ....I rooted for Pepperdine 20 plus years ago and I will root for the little guy in this one...
Usually in EI where intelligent conversation is required

Dr. Starcs

I don't like that espn did way with the strike zone at the cws after the opening day.

I guess the ncaa didnt like the nation seeing how bad their umps are.

Razorback_Mack

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on June 27, 2016, 07:04:41 pm
I don't like that espn did way with the strike zone at the cws after the opening day.

I guess the ncaa didnt like the nation seeing how bad their umps are.
Yep and the guy working the plate tonight is awful.

BigSexyHog

Wonder if Orel is with his boy Tanner ?
Lebron raised money for kids... Rotnei stole crap from the equipment room

PorkRyan

Bunt bunt bunt bunt.  Move the fences in at Omaha or change the bats. The college game is getting boring.  Coaches are micromanaging more than ever which I thought would stop with the new baseball. Attendance was the lowest since moving to TDA.  Not sure why any top hitter would ever want to go bunt for Arizona in the first inning with no outs and 2 on.

Dr. Starcs

Another thing I'd like to see changed would be the coaches calling every single pitch.

Multiple times, the batter gets so tired of waiting, they call time and the game is slowed down even more. 

Perhaps a rule where the coaches can only call pitches when runners are in scoring position.

PorkRyan

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on June 28, 2016, 11:25:56 pm
Another thing I'd like to see changed would be the coaches calling every single pitch.

Multiple times, the batter gets so tired of waiting, they call time and the game is slowed down even more. 

Perhaps a rule where the coaches can only call pitches when runners are in scoring position.

It goes back to micromanaging.  They have to control every aspect of the game. There is a reason almost all top catchers go pro out of HS. They need to learn to call a game.  The play call wristbands are the worst thing to ever happen to baseball. Coach takes three seconds to find the numbers. Catcher takes 5 seconds to find the pitch themn 3 more to signal it, but wait, the batter got tired of waiting and called time. 

We should all be rooting for the underdog and talking about what Coastal is doing. Instead, no one is watching.

Dr. Starcs

Coastal up 4-0 in the 6th in the deciding game 3.

Maddhog

Dr. Starcs

4-2 now with zona coming to bat in the bottom of the 7th.

All 6 runs are unearned in this game.

riccoar

1 out Zona runners on 1st and 2nd  Bot 7

riccoar

rhog1

I still think Coastal messed up pulling Holmes.

riccoar

Top 8th

CC runner 1st, 2 out

Still 4-2 Coastal

riccoar

runner thrown out

headed to bottom of 8th

4-2 Coastal

Dr. Starcs

Cc 3 outs away.
Headed to the 9th.
4-2

riccoar

3 up, 3 down

Headed to the 9th

4-2 Coastal

riccoar

Seems they would have just held off on this till Thursday prime time.  I had no idea they were going to play in the middle of the day

ucahogfan

Quote from: riccoar on June 30, 2016, 03:11:10 pm
Seems they would have just held off on this till Thursday prime time.  I had no idea they were going to play in the middle of the day
ESPN offered the prime time slot on ESPN this evening, but the NCAA went with the noon start.  The reason for this is that more weather is expected to move through this evening and they could get the game in this afternoon, but that is not fact checking to see if that really is the case.

riccoar

gotcha, I didn't even pay attention to it.  I just saw weather delay last night and thought surely they would do it again Thur evening

riccoar

Just checked forecast.  That reason bogus.  Rain chance was very minimal if any

riccoar

wouldn't you bring your closer in here?

riccoar

riccoar

rhog1

Happy for Coastal. Great CWS this year.

Dr. Starcs

Awesome win for CCU.

Gosh I want that so bad for us!

Their closer had thrown 6+ innings in game 2 on Tuesday. He wasnt available. Gutsy performance by the kid that got the save.

AirForceHog

Outstanding to see the little guy win one! Way to go Coastal Carolina.
If it turns, burns, banks or rolls, crew chiefs made it happen.

East TN HAWG

My brother-in-law went to Omaha to watch Coastal.  He played 2nd base for that coach at USC-Aiken.  I guess that coach is a heck of guy. 

Maddhog

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on June 30, 2016, 03:37:56 pm
Awesome win for CCU.

Gosh I want that so bad for us!

Their closer had thrown 6+ innings in game 2 on Tuesday. He wasnt available. Gutsy performance by the kid that got the save.

I believe we will get there.  I'm excited about the new pitching coach.

89ALUM

Congrats to Coach Gilmore and the Chanticleers!  It's such a refreshing story and I'm happy the underdogs were able to take the trophy.

I feel bad for the Arizona kid that committed the errors.  He's probably devastated.

'Zona is a heck of a team and there's lots of players there that will be playing professionally in the next year or two.

College baseball is funny like that.  You get hot at the right time and stay focused, you can win the whole thing.  Think about Fresno a few years ago.  Same story.
I'm in shape.  Round is a shape.

"That's what." - she

Dr. Starcs

A little different in that Fresno was a 4 seed (equivalent to a 13-16 seed in basketball).

No doubt coastal is a Cinderella, but they were a 2 seed (equivalent to a 5-8 seed, just for reference)

But it was their first trip to Omaha and I'm really jealous of them. I want that!

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on June 21, 2016, 07:49:37 pm
Good question.

They just never can get it done. And I don't know the answer to it.

I hope the Hogs finally get the answer. They've been there quite a few times and never won it. Came real close once under Norm though.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

southarkhog06

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on July 06, 2016, 06:26:46 am
I hope the Hogs finally get the answer. They've been there quite a few times and never won it. Came real close once under Norm though.
came a Perry Costello away from a very very good chance just a couple years ago.

jbell96

Quote from: southarkhog06 on July 06, 2016, 01:37:55 pm
came a Perry Costello away from a very very good chance just a couple years ago.

Seeing highlights of Arizona's 2012 title win gave me flashbacks to that time 4 years ago. I'm not saying Arizona wouldn't have beaten us, but with our pitching staff, we would have had a great shot at a title.

southarkhog06

Quote from: jbell96 on July 06, 2016, 02:34:26 pm
Seeing highlights of Arizona's 2012 title win gave me flashbacks to that time 4 years ago. I'm not saying Arizona wouldn't have beaten us, but with our pitching staff, we would have had a great shot at a title.
We would have fared better than The USC-e flying Tanner Englishes, I promise it would have gone 3 games. There was not a lineup in college that year that could make consistent contact for 3 games.

jbell96

Quote from: southarkhog06 on July 06, 2016, 03:11:31 pm
We would have fared better than The USC-e flying Tanner Englishes, I promise it would have gone 3 games. There was not a lineup in college that year that could make consistent contact for 3 games.

I'm pretty sure we would have had Stanek pitching game 1 & he was fresh off a dominant performance against USC-E.