Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2016 MLB Draft Thread

Started by ucahogfan, May 30, 2016, 07:32:44 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ucahogfan

Quote from: dotnet on June 11, 2016, 04:45:08 pm
I have no idea whats up with this situation, but you normally don't use the 11th pick for the building relationships angle.  That usually comes where the other signees are being taken -25th plus rounds. 

I am assuming that benninghoff's number is over a million, otherwise he would have been taken earlier in the draft - as a potential steal in the second half of day two. 

Twins situation: 

They have an 8M pool.  The twins drafted 4 high schoolers in the first 2 rounds.  Then they drafted a high schooler in the fifth round.  All others (in the top ten) were college players.  The 9th and 10th round were college seniors. 

Most likely scenario:

They had a plan to draft tougher signs, high ceiling players, early in the draft.  Then draft guys who would be easier signs later to help divert money to the high schoolers.  At the end of day two, they realized they had a little money left over and called around for the best prospect they could who would fit within their budget. 

A potential scenario:

Maybe they want insurance on their plan.  Maybe they're iffy on the fifth rounder who has a slot of about 350k, which means they lose 250k over the standard 100k value if he doesn't sign.  If they were planning to pay him 1.5M, maybe they found out benninghoff would sign for 1.25M.  They select him as insurance in case it doesn't work out. 

Either way, getting him to campus with all the others drafted after the 10th round would be huge for Arkansas.
Yeah, I doubt they would have drafted Benninghoff unless they think they are going to sign him.  It will be interesting to follow and see what their top 10 round draftees sign for.  I just don't think they will be able to give him 7 figures if that is his number, but you never know what the high school guys are going to sign for.

Hopefully Rortvedt takes all of the excess pool money so they can't sign Benninghoff.  I really expect for Benninghoff to go to college to play with his brother after only throwing one inning this spring.

TebowHater

Why is our Twitter basically saying every hog who gets drafted is gone. Especially with non-obvious ones like Taco...

https://twitter.com/RazorbackBSB/status/741698324877611008

ucahogfan

Nathan Rode ‏@NathanRode  · 2h2 hours ago 

Really like OF Jordan McFarland (IL). Just smashes baseballs. Arkansas recruit. #Nationals #mlbdraft

Nathan Rode ‏@NathanRode  · 3h3 hours ago 

Electric stuff from RHP Brenden Heiss (IL), but projects as a reliever. Arkansas recruit. #mlbdraft #Cubs

Nathan Rode ‏@NathanRode  · 8h8 hours ago 

RHP Tyler Benninghoff (MO) has good upside too. Pitched just one inning this spring. Good on the circuit last summer. #mlbdraft #Twins

Carson Shaddy ‏@Cshaddy245  · 1h1 hour ago 

#omahogs2017 @luke_bonfield @RazorbackBSB

Gene Chamberlain ‏@genechamberlai2  · 2h2 hours ago 

Jacobs pitcher Brenden Heiss thrilled to be drafted by Cubs. But in round 31 he'll take a few days to consider that or Arkansas.

Andrew Flax ‏@AndrewFlaxTNB  · 2h2 hours ago 

Nats pick OF Jordan McFarland. Keith Law said Friday they'd "try to do a deal" with him, but have to imagine it's unlikely in round 36.

Kevin

I think the hogs had a great weekend
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

dotnet

Quote from: TebowHater on June 11, 2016, 05:35:18 pm
Why is our Twitter basically saying every hog who gets drafted is gone. Especially with non-obvious ones like Taco

They're promoting guys getting drafted which is good for the program and a great opportunity for the player if they choose to take it. They lose nothing by promoting a draft pick if the guy comes back

ricepig

Quote from: dotnet on June 11, 2016, 07:35:19 pm
They're promoting guys getting drafted which is good for the program and a great opportunity for the player if they choose to take it. They lose nothing by promoting a draft pick if the guy comes back

Yeah, I don't remember them saying the newest "XYZ" before, but in the end, it doesn't effect signing or not.

bulldog04

Stobbe has Philadelphia Phillies organization in his info section on Twitter and has their logo as the backdrop.  He gone

bulldog04

jackflash

I think the draft went great for the Hogs. Think there going to get most of their recruiting class to campus

hawgcraZ

How long before we get to hear from DVH?  I'm itching to get his opinion on how it went.

Maddhog

"He hits from both sides of the plate.  He's amphibious."

jry04

Now we wait on Taco, Benninghoff, and Heiss as the big 3 who are likely on the fence.

http://www.nwherald.com/2016/06/11/high-school-baseball-former-jacobs-pitchers-heiss-and-peltier-are-drafted/abdgnc/

Heiss says in this article that he has not received the money they want, but are holding out to see if the Cubs sign players under slot or fail to sign other players. Sounds promising, though. Hard to imagine them forking over enough money for a top 5 round pick in 3 years that late in the draft. I personally think Taco goes, but Benninghoff makes it. Just my opinion, though.

woodrow hog call

Quote from: hawgcraZ on June 13, 2016, 10:24:24 am
Great news on McFarland! 

http://www.republictimes.net/mcfarland-taken-in-mlb-draft-opting-for-college/

That's a perfect example of what has been stated earlier in this thread, everyone needs to click the link and read the article. It proves you can't judge talent or ability just by the round the player is drafted in.
"I hate rude behavior in a man, I won't tolerate it"

colbs

June 14, 2016, 12:18:23 pm #164 Last Edit: June 14, 2016, 05:38:11 pm by colbs
I seen where Rortvedt signed which is no surprise, but did anyone see what he signed for? 

Razrpig256

Teague posted to his Instagram that he will sign with the Orioles

jry04

Quote from: Razrpig256 on June 14, 2016, 03:20:17 pm
Teague posted to his Instagram that he will sign with the Orioles
Probably best.

hawgcraZ

Quote from: colbs on June 14, 2016, 12:18:23 pm
I seem where Rortvedt signed which is no surprise, but did anyone see what he signed for? 

$900k of $1.14M slot value.

Hope he doesn't burn us twice and give them extra cash for Benninghoff

dotnet

yeahs, we're already up to 350K that they can give him without any other players.  I have no idea what his number is, but this could be close.

Scott7703

Quote from: hawgcraZ on June 14, 2016, 04:23:43 pm
$900k of $1.14M slot value.

Hope he doesn't burn us twice and give them extra cash for Benninghoff

Yep, we need Rortvedt to max out his slot.

ucahogfan

Jim Callis is reporting that Eagan has signed for 160K with the Pirates and that his power is his best tool.

hawgcraZ

bulldog04

Pennell signed with the Padres based on his Facebook post

dotnet

i think Teague is a great 37th round signing for the Orioles.  He definitely has his limitations.  But with that fastball and slider - especially if he can add a couple of mph as he gets older... there is enough raw material there to develop into a legit bullpen piece.

To get that in the 37th round is good value to me

ricepig

jry04

The Twins have saved on a few picks now. Their lottery pick signed for about $100k under the slot, and Rortvedt signed for about $240k under slot value. Hopefully a few other guys go for over slot. They have about $8.1 million in bonus pool money, and so far they have spent about $1.6 million on two of their 12 top 10 round picks. Unfortunately, 2 of them were HS players. They have 10 players left to sign, and 7 of them are college players. Two of them are college seniors, who will likely sign for well under slot value. I think they will save enough to sign Benninghoff if he is looking to go pro right now.

jackflash

who's left on Arkansas pitching staff now. Do they have any projected to be starters

jry04

Quote from: jackflash on June 16, 2016, 09:42:57 am
who's left on Arkansas pitching staff now. Do they have any projected to be starters
McKinney, Campbell, and Knight will likely start. We have plenty of talent on the mound returning, especially if Taco returns.

colbs

Quote from: jry04 on June 16, 2016, 09:35:33 am
The Twins have saved on a few picks now. Their lottery pick signed for about $100k under the slot, and Rortvedt signed for about $240k under slot value. Hopefully a few other guys go for over slot. They have about $8.1 million in bonus pool money, and so far they have spent about $1.6 million on two of their 12 top 10 round picks. Unfortunately, 2 of them were HS players. They have 10 players left to sign, and 7 of them are college players. Two of them are college seniors, who will likely sign for well under slot value. I think they will save enough to sign Benninghoff if he is looking to go pro right now.
Doesn't sound too promising.  I'm sure if they get close to his number it will be hard for him to turn down.  The last couple days haven't been too kind to the Hogs with Eagen and Teague signing and now not looking so good for Benninghoff.  No matter what happens it looks like the Hogs will bring in a really good class.

jry04

Quote from: colbs on June 16, 2016, 10:23:50 am
Doesn't sound too promising.  I'm sure if they get close to his number it will be hard for him to turn down.  The last couple days haven't been too kind to the Hogs with Eagen and Teague signing and now not looking so good for Benninghoff.  No matter what happens it looks like the Hogs will bring in a really good class.
As soon as Eagan was drafted we knew he would be gone, though. Too good to pass up. As for Teague, the kid gave it his all, but he isn't a guy we will really have to replace. I really think he was going to walk away from the game if he wasn't drafted. Just speculation on my part. He was a non-factor this season, and we will have plenty of arms that we can bank on this next season, in my opinion. I want to get at least one out of Taco and Benninghoff for next season. Regardless, like you said, this is a great class the draft could have gone a lot worse for us.

dotnet

Currently Benninghoff could get about 750 without the Twins losing a draft pick - assuming all others sign for exactly slot value. 

When you add in the college seniors, it looks like there is room to make a deal there if Benninghoff is looking to sign. 

I actually disagree about there being plenty of pitchers.  I only feel pretty good about three pitchers returning, and even they need to improve (which I think they will): Knight, Campbell, and McKinney. 

Most other pitchers are going to have to really get better to develop a pitching staff.  I think there is potential there with guys like Weston Rodgers, Scroggins (maybe), etc.  but we need to see a lot more. 

Look at how dependent this pitching staff was on new comers: Rodriguez, Knight, Campbell, Rodgers, etc.  They needed those guys to be able to perform in the SEC a lot more than they did... and that is with a preseason all american and others a lot more proven coming back. 

This staff is going to really need guys like Cronin, Heiss, Lee, etc. to coming and really be able to contribute from year 1.  Benninghoff being able to come in and potentially be a starter would be huge. 

dotnet

As an aside... it can't be overstated how much I want Zach Jackson to come in and be really good as a freshman next year.  He struck out a lot of people playing high school in Arkansas this year, but I would love for him to be able to go from day one.

Do you realize how fun it will be when all the other SEC schools are sitting there thinking about how they felt like they've been getting whiffed by Zach Jackson for a decade would be? 

hawgcraZ

Please tell me someone in the media asked about Benninghoff during the presser to introduce Wes!!??!!

jry04

DVH said today that Taco plans on coming back.

hawgcraZ

Also said Benninghoff gone

jry04

Quote from: hawgcraZ on June 16, 2016, 01:39:04 pm
Also said Benninghoff gone
That sucks. Really wanted him, but not surprised with how other Twins' picks are going. Mention anything about the other unsigned recruits? Only losing Benninghoff, Stobbe, and Rortvedt is great, in my opinion.

hawgcraZ

Quote from: jry04 on June 16, 2016, 01:43:43 pm
That sucks. Really wanted him, but not surprised with how other Twins' picks are going. Mention anything about the other unsigned recruits? Only losing Benninghoff, Stobbe, and Rortvedt is great, in my opinion.

Made it sound like everybody else has told him they will come to school, but mentioned they won't celebrate until July 16th!  He commented that the draft went even a little better than they expected.

jry04

Quote from: hawgcraZ on June 16, 2016, 02:10:44 pm
Made it sound like everybody else has told him they will come to school, but mentioned they won't celebrate until July 16th!  He commented that the draft went even a little better than they expected.
I expected to lose at least 3 signees, but worried about 2-3 more. Also thought Taco and Bonfield were a possibility. Great news getting those two back, plus likely every other signee. Now get Johnson working with those pitchers and see if we can go from last to first like MSU.

colbs

Taco coming back will be big, especially if he can get back to where he was last year.  If Taco returns and only lose 3 signees that's no doubt a big win for the Diamond Hogs.

Kevin

Wonder if jake bennighoff comes back
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

TebowHater

Tough news on Benninghoff. Coulda been a first rounder after some time on the hill. Hopefully that will be the last of the draftees to sign.

We will need to reload on pitchers ASAP next recruiting class after losing Beninghoff and Taco/McKinney after next year. Granted, Campbell and Knight could help alleviate us a little there. I wonder if either of them are draft eligible after next season.

Edit: It doesn't appear that either will be. Campbell is very young and Blaine Knight will be 20 years and 11.5 months...that is good.

jry04

Quote from: TebowHater on June 17, 2016, 06:40:11 pm
Tough news on Benninghoff. Coulda been a first rounder after some time on the hill. Hopefully that will be the last of the draftees to sign.

We will need to reload on pitchers ASAP next recruiting class after losing Beninghoff and Taco/McKinney after next year. Granted, Campbell and Knight could help alleviate us a little there. I wonder if either of them are draft eligible after next season.

Edit: It doesn't appear that either will be. Campbell is very young and Blaine Knight will be 20 years and 11.5 months...that is good.
Don't forget Loeske. It also appears Brenden Heiss and Blake Lillis will be making it to campus. I cannot imagine them getting signed, but I could be wrong. Heiss has potential to be a top 5 round pick in 3 years. It looks like we will have 11 HS pitchers making it to campus this year.

TebowHater

Quote from: jry04 on June 17, 2016, 06:46:47 pm
Don't forget Loeske. It also appears Brenden Heiss and Blake Lillis will be making it to campus. I cannot imagine them getting signed, but I could be wrong. Heiss has potential to be a top 5 round pick in 3 years. It looks like we will have 11 HS pitchers making it to campus this year.

Nice! Forgot about Heiss. He seems to be the type of guy CWJ loves. Reminds me a bit of Jess Todd/Colby Suggs with that power, though a bit shorter.

ucahogfan

Quote from: TebowHater on June 17, 2016, 07:20:33 pm
Nice! Forgot about Heiss. He seems to be the type of guy CWJ loves. Reminds me a bit of Jess Todd/Colby Suggs with that power, though a bit shorter.
Colby Suggs was who came to mind for me as well.  Both are shorter, hard-throwing RHPs.  It is easy to imagine Heiss being a 96-98 MPH closer his sophomore and junior years here with how Johnson develops velo.

I could also see him sitting 93-95 this year as the 8th inning guy setting up Taco who will also be 93-95 based on what DVH wants him to do.

ucahogfan

Jim Callis ‏@jimcallisMLB  · 5h5 hours ago 

3rd-rder Cole Stobbe, @Phillies agree on $1.1 mil (pick  78 = $813,500).  Nebraska HS SS, hit for avg & power, makeup, Story comp. @MLBDraft

Scott7703

Quote from: ucahogfan on June 17, 2016, 07:41:14 pm
Jim Callis ‏@jimcallisMLB  · 5h5 hours ago 

3rd-rder Cole Stobbe, @Phillies agree on $1.1 mil (pick  78 = $813,500).  Nebraska HS SS, hit for avg & power, makeup, Story comp. @MLBDraft

He did well for himself. Can't blame him for going.

CraighogCounty

Has anyone seen any news about how the rest of the SEC is faring post-draft?

ucahogfan

Wes Saver ‏@Savermetrics  · 3h3 hours ago 

Per @nwherald, #Cubs 31st round @MLBDraft pick @Heiss42 "has yet to announce a final decision between the @Cubs & playing @UArkansas." (1/2)

Wes Saver ‏@Savermetrics  · 3h3 hours ago 

Per @nwherald, #Cubs 31st rounder @Heiss42 "seems to be leaning toward going to @UArkansas for now." (2/2)