Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Kodi Burns Update Following Today's Visit

Started by Matt Turner, July 19, 2006, 07:53:13 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

CiriusPorker

Quote from: Albert Einswine on July 19, 2006, 10:39:45 pm
Quote from: ScottFaldon on July 19, 2006, 10:33:47 pm
Few things...

Mustain was not "unrankable." He was ranked #1 by several services, but fell to #3 in some by signing day.

You totally missed the unique brand of humor that is "Facts about Mitch Mustain".   There was a large thread that was removed and now there is a lesser one in the Tavern.

It's mostly just good clean fun and wacky humor between Hogvillians who truly are impressed with Mitch.

Your lack of zaniness could get you a tight spiral to the gut.  ;D

Thanks for coverin me. ;D  You get a "Don't get spiraled in the gut" card.  Pass Go and Collect $200!

The_Bionic_Pig

July 19, 2006, 10:41:47 pm #51 Last Edit: July 19, 2006, 10:45:43 pm by Woo_Pig_Stewie
Few things...

Mustain was not "unrankable." He was ranked #1 by several services, but fell to #3 in some by signing day.

Comparing Kodi Burns to Tee Martin is an insult to Burns. He's more like Manning (Eli, not chicken-flapping Peyton) than Martin. Just because he's African-American, don't think he's not a dropback passer.

Tee Martin was more athletic than Payton Manning ever was and that is where I got my thesis from...sorry if it came off the wrong way and I offended anyone...wait a minute I'm African American
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

O'Squeal

Kodi also said that this trip to the hill was for his parents more than anything. They wanted to see everything. I think he said they have never been there before. As far as playing for Gus I believe he said "it's been a childhood dream to play for coach Malzhan". From my understanding it was a kinda spur of the moment trip also, Gus and Alex had to change their schedule to meet with them. Good idea. From everything I saw he will be on the hill next year.
Opinions are like a$$holes...everyone has one and they all stink.

Razorback_Z71

Quote from: ScottFaldon on July 19, 2006, 10:38:13 pm
Quote from: WilsonHog on July 19, 2006, 10:34:52 pm
Quote from: Woo_Pig_Stewie on July 19, 2006, 10:32:49 pm
Quote from: CiriusPorker on July 19, 2006, 10:31:50 pm
just saw the t.v. spot...and my initial reaction...is he's a hog.  Thank you, Gus Malzahn.

OK someone, anyone give me a abbreviated version of the interview....

A potential investigation at Auburn doesn't concern him. Neither does the presence of Mitch at UA. Said he thought the coaches were fair and that the best player would play. If he came in and Mitch was the starter, Kodi said he would just have to work harder.

I'd still put it 50/50 on his going to Arkansas. He and his family were reportedly very impressed by Auburn. But he is intrigued by the possibilities of playing for Malzahn and, as you said, he's not afraid of some competition with Mustain.

I think, even if he verbals in the next few weeks, how the college season plays out will be a key.

I may be a little optimistic, but i think its 70-30 Hogs.  :)

mikeirwin

I think, even if he verbals in the next few weeks, how the college season plays out will be a key.
You are dead on with that. A lot can happen in the next six months regardless of which school gets his verbal.
Still you have to be impressed with Gus.
My guess is they'd have no shot at Kodi if Nutt were still the OC.

hogtheball

There was a large thread that was removed and now there is a lesser one in the Tavern.

[/quote]

Einswine...do you realize you just used the word "lesser" in reference to a Mustain thread.  Even if the thread only contained a single word "Mustain" there is no way it could be referred to as lesser.  I hope you're still alive.  I think a lot of us would miss you should you come face-to-abdominal area with a tight spiral.
Did you hear about the dyslexic agnostic with insomnia? He laid awake all night wondering if there really was a dog.

HOGLUVIN

Warranted...

Lesser is "unasseptible"(super nanny) in this reference. Now tell him your sorry.

Franks and Beans

Mike.......you are right about Kodi with Dale still calling the plays. No chance at getting him.
Life Long Hog Fan

Albert Einswine

Quote from: hogtheball on July 19, 2006, 11:04:06 pm

There was a large thread that was removed and now there is a lesser one in the Tavern.

Einswine...do you realize you just used the word "lesser" in reference to a Mustain thread.  Even if the thread only contained a single word "Mustain" there is no way it could be referred to as lesser.  I hope you're still alive.  I think a lot of us would miss you should you come face-to-abdominal area with a tight spiral.

The lesser comment was used only in the context of the "size" of the thread and not the content of said thread.  Additionally,  as a veteran Mitch zealot,  "The Mitch" understands that a humble servant such as I would never do anything to impugn his character or bring stain to his Mitchness.

In addition to these things,  Cirius awarded me a "Don't get spiraled in the gut" card for having his back a few posts previous in this thread.

May the Mitch be strong with you.
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

Sonofahog

Quote from: Franks and Beans on July 19, 2006, 11:13:11 pm
Mike.......you are right about Kodi with Dale still calling the plays. No chance at getting him.

Off topic Franks,  but "how do you get the beans above the frank?"
Proud son of the Hog punt returner in the video below!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JFM2ht-O8c

HOGLUVIN

Quote from: Albert Einswine on July 19, 2006, 11:15:16 pm

The lesser comment was used only in the context of the "size" of the thread and not the content of said thread.  Additionally,  as a veteran Mitch zealot,  "The Mitch" understands that a humble servant such as I would never do anything to impugn his character or bring stain to his Mitchness.

In addition to these things,  Cirius awarded me a "Don't get spiraled in the gut" card for having his back a few posts previous in this thread.

true. spiral aborted. +1

pioneerhog

So any idea on when we can expect a commitment?

HOGLUVIN

Quote from: pioneerhog on July 19, 2006, 11:28:54 pm

Verbal? Anytime now.

Actual? Late January.

pioneerhog

Quote from: HOGLUVIN on July 19, 2006, 11:33:45 pm
Quote from: pioneerhog on July 19, 2006, 11:28:54 pm

Verbal? Anytime now.

Actual? Late January.
Well I had read in the past few days that he would commit in the next couple weeks, I was wondering if there might have been some new info on it now.

Oh yeah the actual commitment, the one that counts, will be in early Feb, when he signs his letter of intent.  ;)

hogtheball

Sorry, I'm a little over-cautious sometimes when it comes to discussing the great one.  Fear is a powerful thing.  Now I'll go outside and throw ten Hail-Mary's.
Did you hear about the dyslexic agnostic with insomnia? He laid awake all night wondering if there really was a dog.

Kilgor

Quote from: hogtheball on July 19, 2006, 11:45:35 pm

Sorry, I'm a little over-cautious sometimes when it comes to discussing the great one.  Fear is a powerful thing.  Now I'll go outside and throw ten Hail-Mary's.

The last ditch desperation heave is now known as a Hail-Mitch.  You now have 20 Hail-Mitches as penance.
Northwest Arkansas gardening and critter raising:

http://www.backyardfreshfoods.com/

Flatline

Quote from: mikeirwin on July 19, 2006, 11:02:58 pm
You are dead on with that. A lot can happen in the next six months regardless of which school gets his verbal.

I know that for a fact.  He was not even looking at Arkansas last year during basketball season.  He gave me a silly look when I mentioned Arkansas last year.

Tomhog™

Quote from: MLH on July 20, 2006, 07:25:09 am
Quote from: mikeirwin on July 19, 2006, 11:02:58 pm

I know that for a fact.  He was not even looking at Arkansas last year during basketball season.  He gave me a silly look when I mentioned Arkansas last year.

And ppl outside Arkansas think we hired Gus strictly for the SD4.  Gus has opened new avenues for recruits inside and outside Arkansas.  Kodi is a major example of it...

Gus calling plays is just icing on the cake...

DirectorM

I still say he is going to Auburn.  Less compitition, can play sooner.  And you know they are telling him he is the next Jason Campbell, who they turned into a first round NFL pick.

hogtheball

Excellent post HoopHog.  I'm always amazed that people think great high school ball players like Burns, Mustain, and others are afraid of competition.  Burns thinks he can play QB as well as anybody in the country - or he wouldn't be so good.  Mitch was the same way in high school.  All the good ones are.  They aren't worrying about where they will have the least amount of competition - just where they are going to become stars.

Lando Calrissian

Quote from: RazorHawg on July 19, 2006, 10:33:23 pm
He said that he just feels more at home on the Hill.  His parents looked impressed.  I think he will be a hog.

Please, please, please...
Quote from: Breems

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haGfGkX-MbA&feature=youtube_gdata

Quote from: HawgBallLvrKentucky would be in the same position right now at #1 even with Pel as their HC.

Quote from: IronHogJohn Stockton wouldn't sniff today's NBA.

Quote from: jacksonpollackEvery time I look around in BWA I get dizzy. It is hard to judge the capacity. During the Auburn game I tried to count all the people in attendance but got lost at around 30,000.

blake

Few things...

Comparing Kodi Burns to Tee Martin is an insult to Burns. He's more like Manning (Eli, not chicken-flapping Peyton) than Martin. Just because he's African-American, don't think he's not a dropback passer.
Tom
Quote from: ScottFaldon on July 19, 2006, 10:45:59 pm
Quote from: Woo_Pig_Stewie on July 19, 2006, 10:41:47 pm
Few things...

Tee Martin was more athetic than Payton Manning ever was and that is where I got my thesis from...sorry if it came off the wrong way and I offended anyone...wait a minute I'm African American

Wasn't aiming that specifically at you, Stewie. But there seems to be this mindset that Burns is a run-first, throw-second QB when it's really the other way around. I think a lot of that comes from his skin tone.
Tom Lemming had Mitch #1 at the end of the year.

Mr A Ziffell

Quote from: HOGLUVIN on July 19, 2006, 10:05:54 pm

a school that will get not post season or TV appearances for 3-4 years?

That is not gonna happen...

jabohog

Quote from: HoopHog on July 20, 2006, 11:56:09 am
Quote from: DirectorM on July 20, 2006, 09:46:50 am
I still say he is going to Auburn.  Less competition, can play sooner.  And you know they are telling him he is the next Jason Campbell, who they turned into a first round NFL pick.

Less competition at Auburn?  That sums it up, buddy...you know JACK about what you are talking about.  Let's review:  Currently, Auburn is in the hunt for 3 other 4 star QB recruits, and three other 3 star QB recruits.  Let's compound the chances of Auburn getting more than one innthis recruiting class - they did it last year.  Last year, they landed Neil Caudle...the 7th ranked pro-style QB in the nation and Steven Ensminger, a 2 star prospect from Monroe, LA.

Add these guys to the ranks of Blake Field, Calvin Booker, Kelcy Luke (14th rated dual threat QB in the class of 2003), Wesley Hill and the amazing Brandon Cox (4 star and 9th rated pro style QB in class of 2002), who is only a junior going into this season. 

When you look at Auburn's depth chart at QB, they have 5 guys for this position (how many do we have?  Yes, that is correct...3)  Out of these 5 guys filling Auburn's depth chart at QB, two of them are former four star prospects and one of these four star prospects will be a freshman -- just like Mitch Mustain.

Arkansas fans...since the signing of Mitch Mustain, demonstrate that we have no experience watching a team that actually has depth at the quarterback position.  This is something we have never really experienced.  Everyone feels that because we have Mitch we will not sign another quality quarterback.  Well, why should that hamper us from adding other strong armed talent when it never seems to phase programs like Auburn, Michigan, Florida, Miami and other college programs?

I guarantee you that a player the caliber of Kodi Burns recognizes that he is going to have to compete against some good talent when he moves on to the next level.  I also guarantee you that one of the things that has him eyeing Arkansas is this...the competition is not as heavy!
Mitch Mustain will have to earn that spot under center just like any other prospect...and Kodi Burns is not afraid to compete with a Neil Caudle at Auburn or a Mitch Mustain at Arkansas.
Daaammnnn! Hoop knows some darn! Great post Hoop.