Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The Spread Offense Based on the Run

Started by The Pulse, June 03, 2006, 01:24:57 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

The Pulse

Most spread offenses that i know of are based on the pass. You have your 3-5 wideouts and usually only one tailback if there even is one. The spread is all about spreading the defense out. Vertically and horizontally in order to make the defense have to cover everything. It also creates wider passing lanes. But it is clear that Arkansas' bread and butter is the running game behind the legs of McFadden, Jones, Smith, and Hillis. Add those guys to a salty O-line that excels in run blocking and we should be or at least close to having the best running game in the SEC again. Everyone including myself is infatuated with the forward pass, im sure. The crowd cheered every time the ball was passed beyond 30 yards last year even if it was an incompletion. There's no doubt we need to pass the ball better than we have. But in order to be successful all we need it a little to keep the defenses "spread" over the field and not stuffed into the box like 8 fat women in an elevator. I'm really interested to see what a no huddle run based spread is going to look like. It might just be the next big thing.

ralphy

nutt's offense had 1 and 2 recievers in the formation.there is a HUGE difference in any spread offense whether or not it is based on run or pass. 4 and 5 receiver sets should spread out the defense because they will have to account for those receivers on the outside. in theory the spread simply gives the ball to playmakers in space. imo this will be much more effective than off tackle right 3 times in a row. ie last years south carolina game

NCGatorBait

Seems like UF and Arkansas should merge then.  ;) UF's lack of running and OL blocking absolitely killed them last yr at times. Leak was sacked too many times with no RB in the backfield. Meyer even added a FB later to help with Leaks non-allusiveness.

ralphy

yeah. everybody around here thinks a strong offensive line means that you center the offense around power running. why couldnt you use a strong line in the passing game as well.

NCGatorBait

Quote from: ralphy on June 03, 2006, 02:17:01 pm
yeah. everybody around here thinks a strong offensive line means that you center the offense around power running. why couldnt you use a strong line in the passing game as well.

Good point ralphy..the only problem is that pass blocking and run blocking are different in those schemes and when the line is spread the quicker DL has the space and advantage to get by the big uglies up front. One reason you saw alot of quick lil slants to chad jackson last yr at UF.

The Pulse

Nutt hasn't exactly recruited guys known for great pass blocking ability.

pioneerhog

Quote from: The Pulse on June 03, 2006, 02:27:57 pm
Nutt hasn't exactly recruited guys known for great pass blocking ability.
And Mikey Mike can't teach it either.

ralphy

i guess nutt has done alot of things wrong. however there is some talent and foot speed with some of our o-line. i believe with someone to teach this group the proper schemes the spread could succeed at arkansas

ClubChubby

Quote from: ralphy on June 03, 2006, 02:32:50 pm
i guess nutt has done alot of things wrong. however there is some talent and foot speed with some of our o-line. i believe with someone to teach this group the proper schemes the spread could succeed at arkansas

Who did you have in mind to teach that?

ralphy

i dont know. maybe whoever gus malzahn prefers.

werehog

The Cal Bears use a run first spread offense. The Bears have two great running backs who both gained over a thousand yards last year. Those two guys are more highly rated by scouts than both DMac and Felix Jones. You can take it to the bank that USC will be ready for us.

hawg23

i always thought that Nutt should have schemed a spread run/pass option offense around Matt Jones...spread it with 4 wides and let him take off if the first 2 recievers are covered....not a LB in the league that could have contained him...we can do the same thing with our running attack...spread it and run 55-60% of the time....but i am no coaching genius !
"Was like a full crowd scene at the food lines"

ballhog™

one concept we have to overcome and get away from is MAX protect.
Touchdown Arkansas! Oh My! --Paul Eells- Voice of the Razorbacks-Southern Gentleman

I do believe you have to be able to run the football when you want to, run the football when you have to. I believe you have to be able to throw the football when you want to, and throw the football when you have to.  --Former Razorback Head Football Coach Bobby Petrino.

ClubChubby

Quote from: ralphy on June 03, 2006, 03:07:50 pm
i dont know. maybe whoever gus malzahn prefers.

We're on the same page.

ClubChubby

Quote from: ballhog on June 03, 2006, 05:15:09 pm

"We can't block that." Mike Markerson.

silvertip

Quote from: The Pulse on June 03, 2006, 01:24:57 pm
Most spread offenses that i know of are based on the pass. You have your 3-5 wideouts and usually only one tailback if there even is one. The spread is all about spreading the defense out. Vertically and horizontally in order to make the defense have to cover everything. It also creates wider passing lanes. But it is clear that Arkansas' bread and butter is the running game behind the legs of McFadden, Jones, Smith, and Hillis. Add those guys to a salty O-line that excels in run blocking and we should be or at least close to having the best running game in the SEC again. Everyone including myself is infatuated with the forward pass, im sure. The crowd cheered every time the ball was passed beyond 30 yards last year even if it was an incompletion. There's no doubt we need to pass the ball better than we have. But in order to be successful all we need it a little to keep the defenses "spread" over the field and not stuffed into the box like 8 fat women in an elevator. I’m really interested to see what a no huddle run based spread is going to look like. It might just be the next big thing.

So we might be the best running team in the SEC AGAIN. Why does that not excite me??

HBTHogs

Who says Malzahn is going to run a spread offense?  "Hurry up/ No Huddle"... nope, still don't see the word, "spread."  I mean, I'm not trying to be an argumentative biatch, but why does everyone think we are going to be running a spread offense?

HBTHogs

Quote from: hawg23 on June 03, 2006, 03:48:57 pm
i always thought that Nutt should have schemed a spread run/pass option offense around Matt Jones...spread it with 4 wides and let him take off if the first 2 recievers are covered....not a LB in the league that could have contained him...we can do the same thing with our running attack...spread it and run 55-60% of the time....but i am no coaching genius !

I absolutely agree that we should have done that with Matt, but what I really want to know is... is that Carrie Underwood in your pic?  I want to marry her.

ballhog™

A spread offense is a 4 or 5 receiver offense.  Although not exclusively, Gus runs a lot of that.  Depending on how much of his offense is used, some might define the our offense that way.
Touchdown Arkansas! Oh My! --Paul Eells- Voice of the Razorbacks-Southern Gentleman

I do believe you have to be able to run the football when you want to, run the football when you have to. I believe you have to be able to throw the football when you want to, and throw the football when you have to.  --Former Razorback Head Football Coach Bobby Petrino.

Bacon The Saddle Again

I'm not positive, but I think West Virginia runs a HELLUVA lot out of the spread offense.  And they pretty much were dynamite doing it.  You basicalyl need a some things to make this really work though.

1.  Great offensive line- no fullback, few tight end sets mean the big 5 have to get it done.
2.  WRs that can block.
3.  Homerun threat at TB
4.  Cannon arm QB (helps if he's mobile)
5  Deep threats and the ability to hit the deep ball every once in a while.

We know we have 1 and 3.  The question is will the WRs block and can we hit the deep ball enough to keep the safeties back?  Oh yeah, and when does Mustain start?

idochog

Quote from: ballhog on June 03, 2006, 05:15:09 pm

One of the hidden reasons our running game is good and unfortunately it makes your passing game SUCK
I love Jesus!

HoopS

If we look any thing like West Virginia did last year, I will be ecstatic.

turbo2000

Quote from: Bacon The Saddle Again on June 03, 2006, 09:55:11 pm
I'm not positive, but I think West Virginia runs a HELLUVA lot out of the spread offense.  And they pretty much were dynamite doing it.  You basicalyl need a some things to make this really work though.

1.  Great offensive line- no fullback, few tight end sets mean the big 5 have to get it done.
2.  WRs that can block.
3.  Homerun threat at TB
4.  Cannon arm QB (helps if he's mobile)
5  Deep threats and the ability to hit the deep ball every once in a while.

We know we have 1 and 3.  The question is will the WRs block and can we hit the deep ball enough to keep the safeties back?  Oh yeah, and when does Mustain start?

Might add a QB who can hit the 5 yd dump over the middle.

Pignominious

I think the spread offense based on the run is called the wishbone.   ;)
Ray Biggers' third cousin.

HBTHogs

Quote from: ballhog on June 03, 2006, 09:48:58 pm
A spread offense is a 4 or 5 receiver offense.  Although not exclusively, Gus runs a lot of that.  Depending on how much of his offense is used, some might define the our offense that way.

Gus ran a lot of it the last two years bacause he had four D1 receivers.  He also ran a lot of it at Shiloh because he had better athletes and most teams weren't used to defending it.  His first couple of years at Springdale he didn't run a spread offense, because his personel didn't dictate it.  I'm betting we'll see more two and three receiver sets this year than four and five.  I think most sets will include a full-back and tightend.  The defense will dictate whether those positions stay tight or spread wide.

JIHawg

The key word here is "balance".  Gus hopefully is the offensive genius we have been needing, waiting for.  He is a coach who can figure out the weakness of the defense and exploit it.  That's what will be different next year.

hawg23

yeah HBT its carrie U-wood in my pic...awesome pic huh
"Was like a full crowd scene at the food lines"

TulsaHogFan

Quote from: hawg23 on June 03, 2006, 11:38:39 pm
yeah HBT its carrie U-wood in my pic...awesome pic huh

She is dating a guy in Fayetteville someone said on here.

GuvHog

The awesome set is What I saw some in
the red white game.
DMac & Monk out wide, FJ in the slot, & PH in the backfield.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

werehog

Both the Cal Bears and West Virginia run a spread offense and both have strong running games. Cal is a pre-season top 10 pick (#8) and some people believe West Virginia has a shot at winning the national championship. WVU has a great coach in Rick Rodiguez (probably one of the top half-dozen college football coaches). Maybe we can trade HDN for RR straight up. If it is possible to recruit to WVU, Va Tech and Neb it should be possible to get even better grade beef to Fayettenam.

GuvHog

June 04, 2006, 03:27:50 pm #30 Last Edit: June 04, 2006, 05:32:04 pm by GUVHOG
The Hogs win 10 this year, H. Nutt is Named SEC coach of the year,
is given a raise & a 3 year contract extention, and accepts it.
He's here for a long time to come. Might as well Accept it.

longtimeHogfan

Quote from: GUVHOG on June 04, 2006, 03:27:50 pm
The Hogs win 10 this year, H. Nutt is Named SEC coach of the year

That part I agree with.  After that I think he'll have several offers to consider, one of which he'll take and life on 'The Hill' will be good again.  ;D
I don't like to plan my day because then the word premeditated comes into the conversation.

jabohog

Quote from: silvertip on June 03, 2006, 09:04:36 pm
Most spread offenses that i know of are based on the pass. You have your 3-5 wideouts and usually only one tailback if there even is one. The spread is all about spreading the defense out. Vertically and horizontally in order to make the defense have to cover everything. It also creates wider passing lanes. But it is clear that Arkansas' bread and butter is the running game behind the legs of McFadden, Jones, Smith, and Hillis. Add those guys to a salty O-line that excels in run blocking and we should be or at least close to having the best running game in the SEC again. Everyone including myself is infatuated with the forward pass, im sure. The crowd cheered every time the ball was passed beyond 30 yards last year even if it was an incompletion. There's no doubt we need to pass the ball better than we have. But in order to be successful all we need it a little to keep the defenses "spread" over the field and not stuffed into the box like 8 fat women in an elevator. I’m really interested to see what a no huddle run based spread is going to look like. It might just be the next big thing.

So we might be the best running team in the SEC AGAIN. Why does that not excite me??
It wouldn't have anything to do with 5-6 and 4-7, would it?

jabohog

The Hogs win 10 this year, H. Nutt is Named SEC coach of the year,
is given a raise & a 3 tear contract extention, and accepts it.
He's here for a long time to come. Might as well Accept it.
Whose three tears for the contract extention? There will probably be more than 3 tears.  ;D Just kidding GUV. If your prediction comes true, I can only hope it makes him work even harder at maintaining it.

Swino

June 04, 2006, 05:21:03 pm #34 Last Edit: June 05, 2006, 10:24:40 am by Swino
Most spread offenses that i know of are based on the pass. You have your 3-5 wideouts and usually only one tailback if there even is one. The spread is all about spreading the defense out. Vertically and horizontally in order to make the defense have to cover everything. It also creates wider passing lanes. But it is clear that Arkansas' bread and butter is the running game behind the legs of McFadden, Jones, Smith, and Hillis. Add those guys to a salty O-line that excels in run blocking and we should be or at least close to having the best running game in the SEC again. Everyone including myself is infatuated with the forward pass, im sure. The crowd cheered every time the ball was passed beyond 30 yards last year even if it was an incompletion. There's no doubt we need to pass the ball better than we have. But in order to be successful all we need it a little to keep the defenses "spread" over the field and not stuffed into the box like 8 fat women in an elevator. I'm really interested to see what a no huddle run based spread is going to look like. It might just be the next big thing.

Are you taking a dig at Malzahn here?  It sounds that way.

It is clear that you don't know anything about Malzahn or  his offense, if you did, then you realize that he preaches BALANCE... and having more than 6 plays in your playbook.  Running the spread will give our RB's more room to run AND keep the defense off guard now that we have the ability pass the ball further than 8 yards.  Malzahn actually likes to run more than he does pass. Please stop trying to scare the uninformed fan when you either don't know the facts or don't care to tell the truth, Malzahn is the best thing to happen to our offense since Clint Stoerner.   Go hogs and praise Malzahn.

GuvHog

He's the best thing to happen to the hog Offense IF he succedes.
And I believe he will.

hog caller

this spread is based on a lot of one on one blocking with a lot of traps to open holes so our guards and tackles better learn to pull. we will run a pro set with two backs and also throw from the same set. so get ready guys it should be exciting if not suceessful. it will suprise a lot of folks next yer we might even surprise A GEORGIA OR A ALABAMA OR EVE A SOUTHER CALIFORNIA.TIGHTEN YOUR CHIN STRAPS AND PUT TAR ON YOU HANDS WE DON'T WANT ANY FUMBLES HERE ON THIS BOARD.

jabohog

I expect to see our offense run from an I formation, with the occasional spread, and even more occasional no huddle. Nutt is not going to give up the physical running game. The lining up and trying to run it down their throat will not necessarily subside.I also expect our offense to be less predictable. The stat I really want to see is yards after catch as much or more than the rushing yards. Especially in big games. Move the great player to different positions and try to get the ball in their hands. The more success Gus has, the more rope he will be given. But, have a turnover or stall in the redzone and all bets are off. Let's not forget Alex Wood in all this. He will bring a lot to the table and I hope an element of stability when the old staff goes into panic mode. Gus may be ahead of Alex when both were at this stage of their career, but Woods has seen a lot at a lot of different stages of the profession. His contribution has to be immense.

GuvHog

GM & AW will stabilize the offense,
Reggie will stabilize the defense.
There will BE no panic, just Winning!

fire_hog

Guv, sorry, but wrong on all counts.
The Hogs win 10 this year
6, maybe 7
H. Nutt is Named SEC coach of the year
Now that's just funny.
is given a raise & a 3 year contract extention, and accepts it.
is shown the door
He's here for a long time to come.
Wrong. This season will be his last, barring a 8-5 season. Good enough to stay, not good enough for another sucker, errrr, school to take a chance on him.
Might as well Accept it.
I will never accept that glad-handing snake oil salesman as the head coach again. You may be happy with where our program has sunk, I am not.
In a coaching business so full of phonies who talk character only to bend the rules, who consider the definition of discipline a player's weight-room attendance, who wouldn't dare pull something like this because it might hurt recruiting, here's Joe Pa, four decades on the job and not giving a damn. Except about what's right. - Dan Wetzel, Yahoo Sports

GuvHog

I am NOT happy with the current state of the Hog FB Program,
But in my opinion and MANY others, H. Nutt is NOT at Fault.
I'm pleased with the direction it's headed which is UP!

hog caller

probably will run some I formations but there are at least 10 running plays from the spread no huddle. i think you will see d mac run for the  posts both on runnoing plays and pass patterns. i can hardly wait. and the wait is getting shorter by the day.

jabohog

Quote from: hog caller on June 04, 2006, 06:50:03 pm
probably will run some I formations but there are at least 10 running plays from the spread no huddle. i think you will see d mac run for the  posts both on runnoing plays and pass patterns. i can hardly wait. and the wait is getting shorter by the day.
The wait is getting shorter and I am getting anxious. darn, I stay anxious! All this talk about the offense and I feel it could be exciting, but my main worry is the defense. Lack of depth from neglect is a scary thing. We talk about London Crawford, Williams, etc., but what about the LB spots? What about safety? What players are we talking about here? We think the DL will excel, but will they? I at least hope we have some run stoppers, a pass rush would be icing. Anyway, get ready for the I. Pray for the defense.

Richard_white

Quote from: GUVHOG on June 04, 2006, 06:41:29 pm
I am NOT happy with the current state of the Hog FB Program,
But in my opinion and MANY others, H. Nutt is NOT at Fault.
I'm pleased with the direction it's headed which is UP!

Who's fault is it for back to back losing records or under .500 in the SEC?  Wait, nevermind it was that little "cloud" that the Hogs had.

tophawg19

if it ain't the coaches fault then whose fault is it and why have a coach ? he is overseeing everything about the program . he hires the assistants and made all those stupid play calls  . he is the one who didn't have a qb ready to go . he is the reason we lack depth at several positions . he signs off on all recruits .so how the hell can you say it ain't nutts fault ?
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

llhog

I'm definitely on the Gus Bus.  Screw Nutt and the horse he rode in on.

GuvHog

Thanks TopHawg, You Said what I've Been saying all along:
H. Nutt Hires The Assistants. Someone finally gave him the
credit he rightly deserves for Hiring GM & AW!
As for the bad calls, you're right he's made some.
It's the QB Coaches sole Responsibility to have the QBs Ready to play,
That's HIS job, NOT NUTTS!

Hoop

Quote from: GUVHOG on June 04, 2006, 11:29:20 pm
Thanks TopHawg, You Said what I've Been saying all along:
H. Nutt Hires The Assistants. Someone finally gave him the
credit he rightly deserves for Hiring GM & AW!
As for the bad calls, you're right he's made some.
It's the QB Coaches sole Responsibility to have the QBs Ready to play,
That's HIS job, NOT NUTTS!

Nutts job is to recruit a good Qb thats worth a damn!
Blaming Alex Wood for any problems with the offense is like blaming a spoon for Rosie O'Donnell being fat.-Swino

Hiring Dana Altman would be about as sexy as waking up in the morning to find your grandma with one tit in the coffee and the other in the oatmeal. -Wilsonhog

GuvHog

Hoop

Blaming Alex Wood for any problems with the offense is like blaming a spoon for Rosie O'Donnell being fat.-Swino

Hiring Dana Altman would be about as sexy as waking up in the morning to find your grandma with one tit in the coffee and the other in the oatmeal. -Wilsonhog