Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

COACH B 'S a solid hire but ..........

Started by tophawg19, December 04, 2012, 05:52:19 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

tophawg19

we aren't going to beat bama , playing bama ball . he is young enough that he may not be totally set in his ways and may be willing to adjust his offense to something more suited to giving us a shot at bama . sumlin showed how to beat them. with him you will always be in the game but if he doesn't hire some good recruiting assistants we will struggle cause his system demands at least equal talent
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

Cure

So we won't win being balanced, limiting turnovers, and playing solid defense?

Okay.

Equal talent? Did you miss Oregon vs Wisconsin where they barely lost?
Team Economics
From Keynes to Friedman, we know what's up.

Kevin

I thought this was the way most hog fans wanted. Was to be like bama
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

HoggusMaximus

We never won with Bobby, give the man a shot before you cry like a little girl.

Hoggie17

Quote from: tophawg19 on December 04, 2012, 05:52:19 pm
we aren't going to beat bama , playing bama ball . he is young enough that he may not be totally set in his ways and may be willing to adjust his offense to something more suited to giving us a shot at bama . sumlin showed how to beat them. with him you will always be in the game but if he doesn't hire some good recruiting assistants we will struggle cause his system demands at least equal talent

Auburn has the answer, Gus.  He will beat Sabin in 2 years, year after year. We will be playing big Ten football just want Sabin wants, he will beat us year after year.

Jek Tono Porkins

Quote from: Hoggie17 on December 04, 2012, 05:54:32 pm
Auburn has the answer, Gus.  He will beat Sabin in 2 years, year after year. We will be playing big Ten football just want Sabin wants, he will beat us year after year.
Step away from the crack pipe.
I have known the troubles I was born to know
I have wanted things a poor man's born to want
And in all my dreams and memories I go running
Through the fields of Arkansas from which I sprung

JBurgess

Quote from: Hoggie17 on December 04, 2012, 05:54:32 pm

That won't happen.  Nobody will beat Saban Year after year. 

T I G E R

I think he will struggle at Arkansas, in both philosophy and recruiting.

spiritof92

Meh, all he has to do is make sure his championship rings are on straight when he walks into living rooms when recruiting. 

HoggusMaximus

Quote from: T I G E R on December 04, 2012, 06:06:18 pm

I think he was a better get than Gus.

T I G E R

Quote from: HoggusMaximus on December 04, 2012, 06:09:42 pm

Of course you do. Many on this board would disagree.

spiritof92

Not me.  I like Gus but he's still unproven as a HC.

crjep

I'm trying to remember, how many times did Petrino beat Alabama?

fullfan

I think he will keep the games against Bamer and Loser much closer by being conservative ala Deja Vu all over again.

norforkian

of course you do.  Many on this board would disagree

Hog Milanese

Quote from: T I G E R on December 04, 2012, 06:14:23 pm

Yeah, all the loons at †††

JaketheSnake

Seems as though BB is more of a risk taker.  He also seems to have a complex running game, where Bama doesnt.  He also hasnt had the speed we have and can get here or the assistants that he will get here.

doc53

Petrino Ball could not beat Alabama. Did you notice that A&M's offensive line kept hitting Bama's d-line? Kept coming and held the blocks. Sounds like Bielema Ball.
I was THERE for the Pooch Kick

doc53

Quote from: HoggusMaximus on December 04, 2012, 06:09:42 pm
I agree...and with half the Hill still not liking Gus,very doubtful he was approached and I even doubt if he would go there with all the remaining animosity.
I was THERE for the Pooch Kick

code red

Disagree..totally....you will see what A&M is all about next year.  Everyone's got film on em now...it will be different.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

Torqued pork

Quote from: HoggusMaximus on December 04, 2012, 05:54:18 pm
truth!

HarleyHog

Go Hogs

tophawg19

Quote from: crjep on December 04, 2012, 06:15:46 pm
I'm trying to remember, how many times did Petrino beat Alabama?
Try remembering what petrino started with vs, what saban did . Petrino was building here saban started well ahead

Murr

Quote from: HoggusMaximus on December 04, 2012, 05:54:18 pm

Bobby was great at recruiting offensive "skills" players.  Defense and O-line, no.

BroyledNutts

A&M beating Bama was a once in a decade accomplishment...that will not happen every year...and correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't LSU beat Bama by playing "Bama Ball"?

Torqued pork

Quote from: doc53 on December 04, 2012, 07:49:32 pm
Petrino Ball could not beat Alabama. Did you notice that A&M's offensive line kept hitting Bama's d-line? Kept coming and held the blocks. Sounds like Bielema Ball.
That's what so many didn't see. A&M had an o-line that could go toe-to-toe with the Bama d-line yet people keep saying it was all about Sumlin's offensive philosophy.

JaketheSnake

Quote from: tophawg19 on December 04, 2012, 08:23:33 pm
Try remembering what petrino started with vs, what saban did . Petrino was building here saban started well ahead
Wasnt Bama way down when Saban took over?  Legit question...

tophawg19

Quote from: BroyledNutts on December 04, 2012, 08:27:21 pm
A&M beating Bama was a once in a decade accomplishment...that will not happen every year...and correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't LSU beat Bama by playing "Bama Ball"?
LSU IS also in a fantastic recruiting area, they can get as many good recruits as bama

Hoggie17

Quote from: tophawg19 on December 04, 2012, 08:23:33 pm
Saban had been first at LSU and then Ala.  He had a huge head start on Petrino, same time same players Petrino wins 9 out 10 games.

BroyledNutts

Quote from: tophawg19 on December 04, 2012, 08:31:58 pm
LSU IS also in a fantastic recruiting area, they can get as many good recruits as bama

This is true - but I'm willing to see if BB can sell that same type of program to top recruits and get them here...I'm not expecting top 10 classes, because that's not realistic...but if he can get physically equal recruits and get them to perform I'm OK with that...we'll see...

Hoggie17

Saban was first at LSU them Ala, big head start on Petrino.  Petrino was just getting started, he would have beaten Saban.  We will never beat Saban now because Big what it BB is from will not win against SEC ball.  Get ready of 7-5 and 8-4 seasons.  He was only 8-5 this year.  Thats not going to cut in the SEC.

I was very happy with BP, Never was happy with HDN and will never be happy with BB.

RedRock

There is one way to beat bama regardless of spread, hunh, pound the ground or whatever....It is physically beating the crap out of bama.  On the Oline and Dline...physically dominate.

hawgbawb

Saban couldn't win the Big10 at Michigan State. Bielema did it 3X at Wisky.  Having said that, Bama is a helluva lot easier to recruit to than Arkansas, but this hire is solid.
I post, therefor I am.
John Highsmith Adams rocks.

DMorris2921

Quote from: Hoggie17 on December 04, 2012, 08:46:51 pm
Saban was first at LSU them Ala, big head start on Petrino.  Petrino was just getting started, he would have beaten Saban.  We will never beat Saban now because Big what it BB is from will not win against SEC ball.  Get ready of 7-5 and 8-4 seasons.  He was only 8-5 this year.  Thats not going to cut in the SEC.

I was very happy with BP, Never was happy with HDN and will never be happy with BB.

Everyone was happy with BP. Give BB a chance before you start your whining. Or don't give him a chance and quit posting about it. No one cares.

hogfansince1964

Why don't we give Coach B 3 years before everyone starts saying he won't do this or he can't do that?

GlassofSwine

Quote from: fullfan on December 04, 2012, 07:44:13 pm
I think he will keep the games against Bamer and Loser much closer by being conservative ala Deja Vu all over again.

God forbid we should lose 17 -0 compared to 52-0. Id much rather prefer to have a coach who can play close in big games rather than consistently get blown out.

GlassofSwine

Quote from: Hoggie17 on December 04, 2012, 08:46:51 pm

He was only 8-5 and what was our record. 4 - 8. Grow up. So you are saying if he comes in here and in 2 years has us winning 10 games you will be unhappy with him? He is young at 42, his resume is strong. The only negative I see is his lack of recruiting ties to the area. Let's give this guy a chance....

steelhog66

Now that it is done,I am going to support him. Now is the time to get behind him. If it is not going to work, there will be time for backbiting later.

RazorFlix

Man you are off the mark.  I live in Alabama(fortunately not for much longer moving back to NWA after 6 long years).  The only team they truly respect is LSU.  That is bar none the regular season game of the year to them....and will be next year even with A&M on the schedule.

LSU plays smashmouth football.  Alabama plays smashmouth football.  Wisconsin plays smashmouth football. 

Miles is from the Big 10.  Saban is from the Big 10.  Bielema is from the Big 10.

See the trend?

beantownhog

Quote from: T I G E R on December 04, 2012, 06:14:23 pm

Have you paid any attention to this board over the past year?  Invoking "many on this board" to prove a point, is like saying, "Maybe!"
If your tax refund equals your taxes paid in, you don't pay taxes.

Captain Crunch

Quote from: RazorFlix on December 04, 2012, 11:05:28 pm
Man you are off the mark.  I live in Alabama(fortunately not for much longer moving back to NWA after 6 long years).  The only team they truly respect is LSU.  That is bar none the regular season game of the year to them....and will be next year even with A&M on the schedule.

LSU plays smashmouth football.  Alabama plays smashmouth football.  Wisconsin plays smashmouth football. 

Miles is from the Big 10.  Saban is from the Big 10.  Bielema is from the Big 10.

See the trend?

This is an excellent observation. +1
:razorback: :razorback: :razorback:

Fayettechill14

Bielema doesn't really care about the playcalling. He's hired OCs with different philosophies. With Russell Wilson they threw it a lot (234 pass yards per game).

All he cares about is O-line. He believes that you can do whatever the heck you want when your line is unstoppable.

Watching Alabama-A&M, it's obvious A&M won because of its line.

tophawg19

Quote from: RazorFlix on December 04, 2012, 11:05:28 pm

See the trend?
Bama fantastic recruiting area ,  LSU - fantastic recruiting area . arkansas not so much. see the trend there . Saban wouldn't do as well here . we have to find ways to do different things than they do to overcome their advantages

Biggus Piggus

That is complete horse hockey, man. His system demands at least equal talent? Where on earth do you get that? Wisconsin was a solid football program without extraordinary talent. If he gets similar players at Arkansas, he'll win. If he gets a little better talent, he'll win more.
[CENSORED]!

EastexHawg

Quote from: Cure on December 04, 2012, 05:53:19 pm
So we won't win being balanced, limiting turnovers, and playing solid defense?

Okay.

Equal talent? Did you miss Oregon vs Wisconsin where they barely lost?

No, and I didn't miss it when LSU stomped a mudhole in that same Oregon team, either.

HiggiePiggy

I do question how his recruiting will be here.   Looking at past years he has had some pretty bad classes.
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

pigfeet

Good point

HDN Part II

Fayettechill14

Quote from: tophawg19 on December 05, 2012, 12:12:21 pm
Bama fantastic recruiting area ,  LSU - fantastic recruiting area . arkansas not so much. see the trend there . Saban wouldn't do as well here . we have to find ways to do different things than they do to overcome their advantages

It's a better recruiting area than most give it credit for. Petrino's lower-ranked classes led us to rationalize that Arkansas must be hard to recruit to. It's really not. Do you know who signed the #2 and #3 prospects in the state of Oklahoma last class? We did. We got a 4* RB out of DFW. I think a better focus on recruiting will allow us to get top 20 classes every year.

Besides, Bielema's already proven himself to be a great talent evaluator, so we won't be wasting stars (we can't afford to).

rude1

There are legitimate concerns about attempting to play this style with less talent than the top teams in the conference. HDN attempted it with mediocre results. What other programs in the SEC other than the ones located in the talent rich areas are making that style work in the SEC? Seems to me the have nots in the league are moving towards systems that favors spreading teams out and being creative with their offenses to try and offset the talent deficit. Auburn took one year of trying to get back to smash mouth football before canning GC and hiring Malzhan and getting back to the spread attack.

dwcherr

Quote from: Fayettechill14 on December 05, 2012, 12:27:15 pm
It's a better recruiting area than most give it credit for. Petrino's lower-ranked classes led us to rationalize that Arkansas must be hard to recruit to. It's really not. Do you know who signed the #2 and #3 prospects in the state of Oklahoma last class? We did. We got a 4* RB out of DFW. I think a better focus on recruiting will allow us to get top 20 classes every year.

Besides, Bielema's already proven himself to be a great talent evaluator, so we won't be wasting stars (we can't afford to).

Sometimes I think you just make stuff up about recruiting. The #2 and #3 players in the state of Oklahoma last year were Barry Sanders Jr. (Stanford) and Alex Ross (OU).

http://rivals.yahoo.com/arkansas/football/recruiting/rankings/rank-2930

And NWA is a better recruiting area than people give it credit for?? No, it's not. That couldn't be less true. Show me the recruits out of NWA that have been tearing up the SEC recently??