Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

CFB Coaching Openings

Started by WilsonHog, October 12, 2015, 06:16:12 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

husker71

BPsTheMan

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on October 26, 2015, 06:25:00 pm
There should be a CFB HC Pickem on Hogville. 

Central Florida - George O'Leary (Resigned). IN - Greg Schiano (I know he is a hot name for Miami, but a bit of a pri**.)  I think this would be a better landing spot for him.  He built Rutgers from garbage which is where a once positively trending UCF is heading.

Illinois - Tim Beckman (Fired). IN - Matt Campbell has built Toledo into a MAAC force that has no fear.

Maryland - Randy Edsall (Fired). IN - Doc Holliday Underrated coach that is ready for a P5 job, Florida ties could also help recruiting.

Miami - Al Golden (Fired). IN - Justin Fuente, makes so much sense it probably won't happen, and Miami could be leery of another G5 guy.

North Texas - Dan McCarney (Fired). IN - Houston Nutt, he deserves one last shot right?

South Carolina - Steve Spurrier (Retired). IN - Chad Morris, not a great record at tired SMU but very strong SC ties and high level of success at Clemson.

USC - Steve Sarkisian (Fired). IN - Chip Kelly

that's not bad analysis sir

Doug

--Doug
Full time Web Developer, Sports junkie and Sports Personality

@BearlyDoug  |  @GridironHistory  |  @Hogville
TheFan.net | BearlyDoug.com | My plugins on WordPress.org | GridironHistory.com

(If you have a tech question, please post in the Help forum, instead of private messaging or emailing me (unless I request it). Thanks!)

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: husker71 on October 27, 2015, 04:43:18 pm
better job UCF or Miami????
Miami, but only because they are a P5 team.  If UCF were to somehow get an invite to say the B12 I'd say UCF.  The thing about UCF is, it's a huge school, but relatively new to the FBS scene.  They are still growing their tradition and fan base and there is no NFL to compete with in that market. 

Everyone says Miami just needs the right coach, but it's such an uphill battle there can they get a "name" coach? I don't think so outside of Schiano, Butch maybe but they need a coach to win back the fans as much as improve the product on the field, so I don't see an established P5 guy bolting to go there.

That's why I'm thinking Justin Fuente is a very good fit for Miami.  He has already turned one city school around where you not only have to build the program but build or rebuild the fan base.  He has people in Memphis paying attention to and caring about Memphis Tiger football again.  Memphis plays hard, and with an attitude.  He is also having to coach in a city where his players could get into a lot of trouble which applies to Miami as well.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: Harry Rex Vonner on October 27, 2015, 07:21:01 pm
that's not bad analysis sir

I just want the little "Pickem" drop downs.  List 5 most likely coaches for the job or "the field".  My only stipulation is that Nutt is a candidate for every job.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

opineonswine

Quote from: Cavehog on October 27, 2015, 03:59:21 pm
I don't see CBP mentioned in this thread which surprises me.  Is he that locked in at Louisville?  Miami wouldn't look his way? A big factor for him: Daytona Bike Week right up the road.

Most AD's aren't as dumb as Louisville's.  I suspect BP has the best job he's ever gonna get.

jbcarol

Alicia Jessop ‏@RulingSports 21h21 hours ago

Al Golden's class cannot be denied. Fired on Sunday, yet beside Artie Burns on Monday when his mom was in the hospital before she passed.

Bruce Feldman Verified account
‏@BruceFeldmanCFB

Rare to see media applaud anything at a presser. (Often seen as bad form)..Jerry Kill walks off podium to a round of well-deserved applause.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

Murr

Minnesota's Jerry Kill retires immediately citing health reasons. 

jdelo77

Nutt could do a decent job at UCF or North Texas .. 

ChicoHog

Quote from: opineonswine on October 28, 2015, 10:59:49 am
Most AD's aren't as dumb as Louisville's.  I suspect BP has the best job he's ever gonna get.
I won't argue your point about BP but the Louisville AD, Tom Jurich, is considered one of the best in the country.  he is also one of the highest paid AD's in the country if not the highest.  He has done a great job there with all their sports programs. 

BPsTheMan

Minnesota will probably promote from within Kill's staff

stupid if they don't

clutch

Quote from: Doug on October 28, 2015, 08:26:58 am
JUST announced... Jerry Kill (Minnesota) is retiring for health reasons:

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/13990629/jerry-kill-retires-minnesota-golden-gophers-football-coach

Wow. He was doing good things at Minnesota. Hope he gets healthy and is able to return to coaching. He's a heckuva coach.

clutch

Quote from: ChicoHog on October 28, 2015, 08:08:39 pm
I won't argue your point about BP but the Louisville AD, Tom Jurich, is considered one of the best in the country.  he is also one of the highest paid AD's in the country if not the highest.  He has done a great job there with all their sports programs. 

He's made his living off of scandalous coaches. All sex scandals at that. Interested to see how he handles this situation with their basketball program.

TheRazorbackGuy

Quote from: Cavehog on October 27, 2015, 03:59:21 pm
I don't see CBP mentioned in this thread which surprises me.  Is he that locked in at Louisville?  Miami wouldn't look his way? A big factor for him: Daytona Bike Week right up the road.

Petrino would probably be a nice fit for USC.

GoHogs1091

Quote from: LZH on October 25, 2015, 01:36:57 am
The answer to all the above?  Brent Venables.

Venables is ready to be a Head Coach.

He has coached against the following Heisman Trophy winners.

Rashaan Salaam
Ricky Williams
Chris Weinke
Eric Crouch
Jason White  (in practices)
Matt Leinart   
Reggie Bush
Tim Tebow
Sam Bradford  (in practices)
Robert Griffin III
Jameis Winston

In 2008, Tim Tebow and Florida's Offense averaged 45.15 points per game.  Venables held Tebow and Florida's Offense to 24 points.  Venables held Tebow and Florida to the lowest amount of points Florida scored during the entire 2008 season.

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: TheRazorbackGuy on October 29, 2015, 09:41:40 am
Petrino would probably be a nice fit for USC.

Yeah, nobody plays defense over there anyway. Fit right in.
This is my non-signature signature.

The Great Hambino

Iowa State will be on this list shortly.

Go ahead and add Hawaii, Purdue, and most likely West Virginia to the list.

Today will be interesting to see how it all shakes out with Georgia. My sources tell me Mark Richt must win today.

husker71

Hawaii has a much easier schedule the last 5 game   if somehow they could win 4 and end up 5-7 Chow might stay BUT not sure he wants anymore of this .  That job needs someone who can attract talent from the Jr Colleges of California   

jbcarol

Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

husker71

My Norm Chow saving his job theory is already out the window   fired today   so much for my insight

hogsanity

guys on the coaching merry go round this year better take some motion sickness pills, that thing is spinning fast.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

MJ2

Looking at this list of openings, there will be a lot of agent money made in the next few months.

Doug

Saw reports that June Jones is throwing his hat back in for Hawaii. That'll be interesting if he returns back home.
--Doug

(If you have a tech question, please post in the Help forum, instead of private messaging or emailing me (unless I request it). Thanks!)

root_hawg

November 05, 2015, 02:19:01 am #76 Last Edit: November 06, 2015, 09:39:52 am by root_hawg
Kirby Smart to Va Tech?  It is where he has stated he wants to go

Doug

Quote from: root_hawgKirby Smith to Va Tech?  It is where he has stated he wants to go
FYI, I believe you mean Kirby Smart. The below is based on that assumption. :)

If that happens, expect VT to become one of the top contenders in the ACC. Kirby's probably one of the few assistants that would transition well into a HC role.

He would bring a salty defensive scheme to VT... probably one of the few teams that would be able to compete against Clemson, Florida State, and Miami, consistently.
--Doug

clutch

Quote from: Doug on November 05, 2015, 06:46:20 am
FYI, I believe you mean Kirby Smart. The below is based on that assumption. :)

If that happens, expect VT to become one of the top contenders in the ACC. Kirby's probably one of the few assistants that would transition well into a HC role.

He would bring a salty defensive scheme to VT... probably one of the few teams that would be able to compete against Clemson, Florida State, and Miami, consistently.

If they are wanting to go defensive coach I think they will just promote Bud Foster.

root_hawg

ESPN listed the following as most desirable coaching spots...

USC Trojans
Miami
Va Tech
South Carolina

agree or disagree ...

Wonder about Miami with the bad facilities/stadium but hot recruiting base...

Ironhawg

Just watched Bama beat LSU. There are going to be a bunch of good jobs open after this season.  Has Lane Kiffin put enough distance between himself and his prior head coaching gigs to get another chance after this season?

root_hawg

hog.goblin

Quote from: Wild Bill Hog on November 09, 2015, 03:59:50 pm
That Springfield Five deal still haunts him.

That and losing his offensive coordinator at Olé Miss, Ed Orgeron...

ChicoHog

Va Tech could be a great job again with the right guy.  recruiting base in Southeast VA is huge with Hampton, Norfolk, Va Beach etc.,  I think they can become a power in the ACC again and possibly nationally if they get the right guy. 

UVA is another team that should be much better than they are.  Mike London may be done there also. 

clutch

Question just came to mind. With so many job openings this year, and ASU on top of the sunbelt again. Will someone come after Anderson leaving ASU to once again go on a coaching search? This would be a really bad time for them to have to do so. They have made their name hiring the up and comers the past few times they've been in that situation. With so many jobs coming open it would be a lot harder to do so this time around.

Doug

Quote from: clutchQuestion just came to mind. With so many job openings this year, and ASU on top of the sunbelt again. Will someone come after Anderson leaving ASU to once again go on a coaching search? This would be a really bad time for them to have to do so. They have made their name hiring the up and comers the past few times they've been in that situation. With so many jobs coming open it would be a lot harder to do so this time around.
Speaking from what I know about Anderson... he's not done with Arkansas State. I can all but guarantee that he'll be there for at LEAST one more year. Possibly more. He's doing things right at stAte and bringing great attention to the University itself. I very much doubt you'll see his name as a serious candidate right now.
--Doug

jbcarol

Bruce Feldman ‏@BruceFeldmanCFB  12h12 hours ago
As expected, #Minnesota names interim Tracy Claeys its head coach & signs him to a 3-year deal.

LLPL

just read an article about the Hurricane opening and the AD believes Charlie Strong and Tommy Tubberville are highly interested in the job. It also referenced former Cane Coach Butch Davis as a possibility and interest from Houston Nutt.

Literally 4 names mentioned and all 4 were born in Arkansas. What are the odds of that?

hoglady

Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

rhog1

BearsBisonsBoars

Quote from: LLPL on November 12, 2015, 11:33:31 pm
just read an article about the Hurricane opening [...] interest from Houston Nutt. [...]

I'd go with Davis as well, out of those listed. Strong is a good coach, but I don't think he'd be even as good a fit there as he is at Texass.

Albert Einswine

Nutt has a long tradition of being interested in open jobs. Open jobs don't have a rich tradition of being interested in Nutt.
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

longpig

Charlie isn't in their budget and I would think Tuberville, Nutt and Davis are too damm old for a BS job like Miami.  They would also want good help and that isn't in the U's budget either. 
Don't be scared, be smart.

Hawghiggs

Been10Hog

Strong might be willing to take a pay cut to get out of the dumpster fire he is in! Personally, I would love to see the arrogant UT fan base react to a coach leaving them to go elsewhere!

B501

Quote from: Been10Hog on November 13, 2015, 07:06:53 am
Strong might be willing to take a pay cut to get out of the dumpster fire he is in! Personally, I would love to see the arrogant UT fan base react to a coach leaving them to go elsewhere!

miami isnt exactly a beacon of stability

choppedporkextrasauce