Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

CFB Coaching Openings

Started by WilsonHog, October 12, 2015, 06:16:12 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

HogimusMaximus

Whooever hires richt is getting a helluva coach.

hog.goblin

Quote from: clutch on November 30, 2015, 11:23:38 am
Extremely underwhelming for what was considered the biggest job available. I bet Georgia just sighed a sigh of relief. They are now clearly the most prestigious job.

I agree, especially with the timing.  If they go out and lose to Stanford he got this job after going 5 - 3.  Probably loses 4 or 5 next year and is already on the hot seat.

jbcarol

Michael Carvell ‏@Carvell_AJC  5m5 minutes ago
Mark Richt to meet with Maryland about football job, per multiple reports http://trib.al/p0Nz17U
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

WilsonHog

Quote from: jbcarol on November 30, 2015, 06:59:44 pm
Michael Carvell ‏@Carvell_AJC  5m5 minutes ago
Mark Richt to meet with Maryland about football job, per multiple reports http://trib.al/p0Nz17U

Maryland???

jbcarol

Quote from: Tom Bennett on November 30, 2015, 07:11:55 pm
Maryland???

Nothing else will surprise me on this carouse

Former UGa AD Damon Evans who lost his job after that DUI in Buckhead is on the Athletic Department staff at Maryland.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

Doug

Heard on WSBTV last night that UGA might be targeting Kirby Smart (Graduated from UGA and got his coaching start there).

That's about the only home run hire I can see legitimately happening.
--Doug
Full time Web Developer, Sports junkie and Sports Personality

@BearlyDoug  |  @GridironHistory  |  @Hogville
TheFan.net | BearlyDoug.com | My plugins on WordPress.org | GridironHistory.com

(If you have a tech question, please post in the Help forum, instead of private messaging or emailing me (unless I request it). Thanks!)

Doug

Being reported that Oregon Ducks' OC, Scott Frost, will be named the new UCF Knights' CFB HC this morning.
--Doug

(If you have a tech question, please post in the Help forum, instead of private messaging or emailing me (unless I request it). Thanks!)

DiamondHogFan

I hope Richt looks for something outside of the SEC.

clutch

Quote from: sevenof400 on November 30, 2015, 07:11:24 pm
Just what has Richt done to deserve such plaudits?

Won 145 games since his time there. Sure he probably should have a couple more Championships thrown in there, but winning at an average of around 9.7 games per year is good whether you have a roster full of talent or not. People don't understand nearly how hard coaching is, especially at this level.

Tim Harris

Quote from: Doug on December 01, 2015, 04:50:10 am
Heard on WSBTV last night that UGA might be targeting Kirby Smart (Graduated from UGA and got his coaching start there).

That's about the only home run hire I can see legitimately happening.

Not sure I would call hiring a coordinator with no HC experience as a home run.  Of course everyone has different standards but if I was an UGA fan I would want more than that.

Doug

Quote from: Doug on December 01, 2015, 07:44:45 amBeing reported that Oregon Ducks' OC, Scott Frost, will be named the new UCF Knights' CFB HC this morning.
Aaaaand now it's official!

https://twitter.com/SportsCenter/status/671702870845218816
--Doug

husker71

Frost was coached in High School by his father (former husker RB Larry Frost) and his mother who was on an Olympic team and won a Pan Am gold medal (she coached the defense)  He went to Stanford to play QB and learn from Bill Walsh.  He could not pass Stenstrom at Qb so started at safety.  Then Walsh left to he went back to Nebr and started at QB and led them to the 1997 national championship (beating Tenn and Manning 42-17    He has played for or coached for Bill Walsh, Osborne, Parcells, Belechik and Gruden.  Not a bad learning tree.

opineonswine

Quote from: Tim Harris on December 01, 2015, 08:20:36 am
Not sure I would call hiring a coordinator with no HC experience as a home run.  Of course everyone has different standards but if I was an UGA fan I would want more than that.

Doug

Cal's Sonny Dykes is interviewing for Mizzou job... and pining hard for it. If he gets it, he'll be able to parlay his strong Texas and Louisiana connections for recruiting to Mizzou.

What's interesting is his playing days at college... not as a CFB guy, but as a Baseball guy.

Looking at what he's done... he's got a slow, methodical approach (very much like Bret Bielema does) in rebuilding teams to relevance.

Seriously... how do you go 9-3 and NOT get a bowl invitation? (that's one of the reasons why he left LA Tech). At least a 6-6 SEC team will almost always have a bowl invitation.

So, yeah, Coach Dykes is pining HARD for Mizzou.
--Doug

hoglady

What's up with Dan Mullen?
On drivetime Rick was talking about it being reported that he interviewed for the Miami job.
Not surprised about him wanting to move up, but shocked he allowed that to get out in the press.
If all the reports are true - Miami appears to have a who's who to chose from - Richt, Butch Davis, Schiano, Mullen.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

Doug

Miami is not a better job than Mississippi State is. The ONLY advantage Miami has is fertile recruiting grounds. They don't even play on campus (45 minute drive from campus to the stadium). The stadium sucks, needs a serious update. Fans aren't attending very well, either.

Plus, he'll make more money at MSU than he would at Miami.
--Doug

TexHog188

From Football Scoop:  South Carolina: ESPN is reporting that South Carolina has expressed interest in Oklahoma offensive coordinator Lincoln Riley and plans to talk to Riley about their vacant head coaching position.
"When you're around people that have been where you're trying to go, they know the answers."  Moses Moody

SpaCityHawg

John L Smith to Kentucky State. Who is next Nutt?

BR

CanesInSight.com reporter Peter Ariz reports Mark Richt is expected to be named Miami head coach. CBS Sports had previously reported that the job would be Richt's if he wanted it.
"Cause I love Cajun martinis and playin' afternoon golf"

BR

Toledo offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach Jason Candle will be the Rockets' new head coach, according to sources.

jbcarol

Brett McMurphy ‏@McMurphyESPN 16h16 hours ago

And then there were only 9 openings: Memphis, Mizzou, North Texas, Rutgers, South Carolina, Syracuse, Tulane, ULM, Virginia

ChicoHog

Quote from: jbcarol on December 03, 2015, 09:12:50 am
Brett McMurphy ‏@McMurphyESPN 16h16 hours ago

And then there were only 9 openings: Memphis, Mizzou, North Texas, Rutgers, South Carolina, Syracuse, Tulane, ULM, Virginia
It will be interesting to see if the Power 5 schools like Mizzou, SCarolina, etc., do now.  They will probably have to go either the Group of 5 route (Temple coach, a MAC coach, etc.,) or a coordinator.  I think Carolina was counting on Smart but UGA beat them to it.  Seems like Herman is off the market also with Houston giving him a big raise. 

The_Iceman

Quote from: BR on December 02, 2015, 07:03:53 pm
Toledo offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach Jason Candle will be the Rockets' new head coach, according to sources.

Did this pop into anyone else's head?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVqR6kTu8lE

Doug

--Doug

opineonswine

Doug

--Doug

jbcarol

Jackrabbit Hog

Who does East Carolina think it is?  That's f***ing ridiculous.  By all accounts McNeill is a top notch guy (along the lines of Richt), his players loved him, and he had success there.  Firing coaches has officially jumped the shark.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

opineonswine

jbcarol

BR

Charlottesville, Va. - Bronco Mendenhall, the head coach at Brigham Young University for the last 11 years, is the new head football coach at the University of Virginia, director of athletics Craig Littlepage announced today, Friday, Dec. 4.

http://virginia.247sports.com/Bolt/UVa-hires-Bronco-Mendenhall-41724349

BR

Quote from: opineonswine on December 04, 2015, 02:13:06 pm
Bad move by Mizzou.  Bad info by Doug.   :P
Bo was never on MIZZOU's radar.... I was in Colombia on campus twice this week making my sales calls.  I think the only other person was Sonny Dykes that they really liked after Tom Hermann said no.

Dwight_K_Shrute

A couple things.

1. I predict a little eye of the hurricane but could see more movement after/during bowl season as some coach with a marginal record totally sh*** himself during the bowl game and it pushes the administration over the edge.

2.  As long as North Texas remains unfilled there is hope for Houston Dale Nutt and isn't the CFB world better with a little Nutt in it?
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

jdelo77

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on December 04, 2015, 11:20:43 am
Who does East Carolina think it is?  That's f***ing ridiculous.  By all accounts McNeill is a top notch guy (along the lines of Richt), his players loved him, and he had success there.  Firing coaches has officially jumped the shark.

I agree dude was a hell of a coach !!! He will get another chance ...

BPsTheMan

Quote from: Doug on December 03, 2015, 06:57:30 pm
Mike Norvell to Memphis

Norvell started four years and graduated at UCA

is from Arkansas originally?

jbcarol

The Rock: Bronco Mendenhall knew it was as good as it gets at BYU

QuoteAs many wins as Bronco Mendenhall collected at BYU, as often as he bodysurfed in the locker room, or raced along the sidelines after a big win, it was always there.

The lurking reality that this was as good as it gets.

BYU has limited speed and access, and he never had quite enough of either. Team speed was an ongoing problem; access to the playoffs and big bowls an even bigger one. Clearly he thinks he can find both at Virginia.

Then there's the honor code.

Getting four-star players to go along with that...

Ken Niumatalolo, Oregon State defensive coordinator Kalani Sitake, and BYU offensive coordinator Robert Anae are mentioned as possible successors.

jbcarol

WilsonHog

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

WilsonHog

For all of the openings (23), it's been an underwhelming coaches carousel. Ten of the jobs have been filled by coordinators and three more by interim coaches. Only five head coaches have changed jobs, and one of those was on the heels of being fired himself. The other four - Dino Babers, Matt Campbell, Justin Fuente, and Bronco Mendenhall - all took jobs that are "promotions." No lateral moves by coaches in the Power 5 conferences. 

Only five job remain open:

Bowling Green
BYU
East Carolina
Louisiana-Monroe
Tulane

Not a great deal to excite there.

opineonswine

Quote from: Tom Bennett on December 06, 2015, 08:29:04 am
For all of the openings (23), it's been an underwhelming coaches carousel.

Fans should remember that when they're calling for someone to be replaced.  It's not as easy to get someone "better" as some think.

tlmack

With all the coaching openings, wonder why Petrinos name not been mentioned? According to some on Hogville a couple of years ago, he was a lock for Texas or any big name school. Things that make you go Hmmmm!

opineonswine

Quote from: tlmack on December 06, 2015, 08:50:32 pm
With all the coaching openings, wonder why Petrinos name not been mentioned? According to some on Hogville a couple of years ago, he was a lock for Texas or any big name school. Things that make you go Hmmmm!

I appreciate your sarcasm and totally agree.

tlmack

Thanks! It's my sarcasm that has my smite count so high. Lol

BPsTheMan

USCe mentions on staffing..

Kurt Roper - OC - protege of David Cutcliff

Travaris Robinson - DC - Muschamp protege, former player for Tommy Tub at Aubie 

LB coach Lance Thompson from the Auburn staff, formerly Bama, Tenner, LSU

Ye Old Ellis Johnson - defensive line?

clutch

Quote from: opineonswine on December 06, 2015, 08:32:38 am
Fans should remember that when they're calling for someone to be replaced.  It's not as easy to get someone "better" as some think.

With the money most all teams are paying now it's getting harder and harder to lure coaches away. Some of the top jobs are actually probably less desirable because coaches can make practically the same where they are and not have to worry about getting fired for winning 8-9 games.

On another note, anyone else think that the reason Herman stayed put in Houston was because he wanted to wait and see if the UT job opened up next season?