Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Broderick Green news (USC lean, x-fer hope)

Started by Realist, August 07, 2007, 04:20:42 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Realist

He still has not been cleared by the NCAA Clearinghouse for some reason.  Didn't think he would have any problems but neither Broderick nor Marc Tyler have been cleared

Razorhogs

I hope he qualifies.  Maybe someone on the hill knew something that we didn't, sometimes you might not know the whole story.

Hollywood_HOGan45

Quote from: Razorhogs on August 07, 2007, 04:38:49 pm
I hope he qualifies.  Maybe someone on the hill knew something that we didn't, sometimes you might not know the whole story.

and we signed two tailbacks who didnt qualify.

HoopHog

People on the Huill knew squat about Green...I guarantee.  This might not be such gloom and doom.  It could be as simple as he took some college credit over the summer and is waiting for the transcripts.

sugartownhog

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan45 on August 07, 2007, 04:41:49 pm

We signed two tailbacks and USC signed one fullback... hide and watch

HoopHog

Quote from: sugartownhog on August 07, 2007, 05:29:41 pm

Huh?

Razorhog2006q

August 07, 2007, 05:34:18 pm #6 Last Edit: August 07, 2007, 05:39:40 pm by Razorhog2006q
Quote from: HoopHog on August 07, 2007, 05:26:27 pm

People on the Huill knew squat about Green...I guarantee.  This might not be such gloom and doom.  It could be as simple as he took some college credit over the summer and is waiting for the transcripts.

He took some online courses and is waiting for the proper paperwork to make the rounds. He'll qualify.

FBPLAYER65

We didn't sign anyone. Both of our guys didn't qualify.

Hollywood_HOGan45

Quote from: sugartownhog on August 07, 2007, 05:29:41 pm

must be one heckuva fullback if SC signed him

gohawgsgo

We have gone strictly with home run hitters at TB.  We haven't gone with a pure power back in several classes now.

Hugehogsfan

Quote from: gohawgsgo on August 07, 2007, 06:24:38 pm
We have gone strictly with home run hitters at TB.  We haven't gone with a pure power back in several classes now.

I agree with this statement, but if Shuler signs this could change.  I know that they are calling him a FB, but his video you could almost call him a TB.

gohawgsgo

Quote from: FBPLAYER65 on August 07, 2007, 05:58:35 pm
We didn't sign anyone. Both of our guys didn't qualify.

Barnett will qualify.

Beaverfever

Quote from: Hugehogsfan on August 07, 2007, 06:25:52 pm
Quote from: gohawgsgo on August 07, 2007, 06:24:38 pm

I agree with this statement, but if Shuler signs this could change.  I know that they are calling him a FB, but his video you could almost call him a TB.
nah man power tailbacks just aren't for the sec.  I think we learned this with hillis.  Anyone else think hillis could be a 1000 yard rb in the big 10?

Qbackinman

What about Cadillac Williams?

Green is huge and fast. He has the abilitiy to do well, but I don't know about his attitude.

Hawgballz

Quote from: Qbackinman on August 07, 2007, 09:06:53 pm

Green is huge and fast. He has the abilitiy to do well, but I don't know about his attitude.

He is big, but he is not that fast.  That is why everyone considers him a FB.
Players Win Games And Winning Brings Players!

Beebefan1992

I think Hillis would have been a good TB for us if we hadn't signed DMAC, Felix and Mike Smith.  But, yes he would have been a 1,000 yd back in the Big 10.  A 4.6 40 time won't get many yards in the SEC.

T-Bag Hawg

Something I noticed about Green last year.

He was a helluva a receiver out of the backfield.

I thought he was better than Hillis.  At least he didn't trip over
his own feet 4-7 times a season.
It's a pill, that gives worms to ex-girlfriends!  You just don't get it!

BustinANutt

I watched a lot of PA games last year. Green was always the biggest, fastest and strongest guy on the feild but he never seemed to really utilize it the way it seemed he should have. I always thought he didn't have the "it" or killer instinct or whatever.

Michael11

Quote from: Realist on August 07, 2007, 04:20:42 pm
He still has not been cleared by the NCAA Clearinghouse for some reason.  Didn't think he would have any problems but neither Broderick nor Marc Tyler have been cleared

Sometimes it has nothing to do with grades! My freshman year of college i was playing golf and had to sit out the first tournament because i had not been cleared. I had over a 3.0 GPA and a 25 on the ACT. My coach called and the NCAA said they reach in a hat basically and hold x number of applications for further review! This could be why.
Michael Thomason   Rom. 10:9/2CO.5:21

CarolinaHog1176

Quote from: Beaverfever on August 07, 2007, 08:36:53 pmAnyone else think hillis could be a 1000 yard rb in the big 10?

absolutely... anybody remember watching Mike Alstott at Purdue?  that dude was a freakin' beast.  "we're running the ball right here and there isn't a damn thing you can do about it."
WOOOOO PIG SOOIE

MB Hog

Quote from: BustinANutt on August 07, 2007, 11:51:55 pm
I watched a lot of PA games last year. Green was always the biggest, fastest and strongest guy on the Field but he never seemed to really utilize it the way it seemed he should have. I always thought he didn't have the "it" or killer instinct or whatever.
I felt the same way watching him play at PA.  He was a great weapon against all the little guys on the other side of the field, but even they seemed to be able to bring him down a little too easily.  Now once he got into the open field, he was pretty tough to stop, but how often would a 4.6 tailback get into the open field in the SEC if he couldn't break the tackles at the line?  He does have great hands, so I could see him do well catching some balls out of the backfield as a FB, but he would have to learn to block first, which was also a weakness for him.  He'll probably get a little playing time in his career at USC, but I'd be surprised if he ever became a star.

MB Hog

Wu Tang Clan

Quote from: Realist on August 07, 2007, 04:20:42 pm

BG and Marc Tyler have been working out with the team all summer.  I didn't think a player could participate in voluntary workouts with the team unless they were cleared by the clearinghouse.  

HawgAdvocate

August 08, 2007, 09:38:50 am #22 Last Edit: August 08, 2007, 09:57:06 am by HawgAdvocate
Quote from: Beebefan1992 on August 07, 2007, 11:18:32 pm
I think Hillis would have been a good TB for us if we hadn't signed DMAC, Felix and Mike Smith.  But, yes he would have been a 1,000 yd back in the Big 10.  A 4.6 40 time won't get many yards in the SEC.

I laugh at these statements. A 40-time really only matters for DBs and WRs. RBs rarely go unchecked for a 40 yard dash in a game. They gain 3.3 to 4.0 yards per carry for a reason.

Read that again: Two-tenths of a second.

Agility, hands, awareness, acceleration, and toughness are waaaaaaaaaaaaay more important than two-tenths of a second off a 40-time when gauging a running back.

Green has awesome skills. There's no doubt about that. It's funny that everyone sees that except a few homers who don't like the fact that he went elsewhere.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

respirback

How does someone go to PA and not qualify for college?  I thought they had high academic standards there.

aaron_c

Quote from: respirback on August 08, 2007, 09:43:42 am
How does someone go to PA and not qualify for college?  I thought they had high academic standards there.

I don't think it has anything to do with his grades.  It's like Michael11 said, they basically randomly review applications and what not, so he should be fine, though I don't know what his GPA or ACT score was out of high school.

justmaybe

40 time doesn't make a difference? Give me a break. I would hate to see Dmac with two-tenths less. I think Grren can be a good back. Hands, acceleration, all of those things make a big difference in your overall game. But 4.6 is not going to get around a corner in the SEC when the DE's and LB's run 4.7's or better. 4.6 will get you yards between the tackles.

Beaverfever

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on August 08, 2007, 09:38:50 am

I laugh at these statements. A 40-time really only matters for DBs and WRs. RBs rarely go unchecked for a 40 yard dash in a game. They gain 3.3 to 4.0 yards per carry for a reason.

Agility, hands, awareness, acceleration, and toughness are waaaaaaaaaaaaay more important than two-tenths of a second off a 40-time when gauging a running back.

Green has awesome skills. There's no doubt about that. It's funny that everyone sees that except a few homers who don't like the fact that he went elsewhere.
SEC coaches want gamebreakers at tb.  Guys that could take it to the house on any play. 

mbgrulz

Green has awesome skills. There's no doubt about that. It's funny that everyone sees that except a few homers who don't like the fact that he went elsewhere.
guys who average 3.3 to 4.0 ypc are bums. DMAC goes unchecked for 40 yards more than once a game, and sometimes more than once on the same carry.

Green will play at USC in 3 years...as long as they use a fullback in there offense.

Bomis Hawg

3.3-4.0 YPC is fine.  Every team needs a speedster and power back.

mbgrulz

i should rephrase what i meant. 3.3 to 4 ypc is okay for your some of your backs, but your main weapon had better be getting more per touch than that or you aren't gonna get many 1st downs. if hillis averages 4 a carry, then fine. i'd expect DMAC and FJ to get more though.

HoopHog

Well...it ain't no Little Rock Catholic High!  :D

pfrg999

Musician, Audio Engineer, Entertainment <br />Writer and Hardcore Razorback watching Hog Fan!!!

Bomis Hawg

Chauncey Washington was a top 12 back during the Bush/White era.  CJ Gable, Emmanuel Moody, and Hershel Dennis are also there.  Their FB was a top 5 LB out of HS.  They are stacked.

Realist

Allen Bradford 5 star
CJ Gable 5 star
Stafon Johnson 5 star
Joe McKnight 5 star
Marc Tyler 5 star
Emmanuel Moody 4 star
Chauncey Washington 4 star
Hershel Dennis 4 star
Broderick Green 4 star
Desmond Reed 3 star
They have an equal number of 5 star backs compared to 4 and 3 star RB's

In comparison, LSU has one 5 star RB and two 4 stars.
West Virginia will have one in Noel Devine
Michigan has two 4 star RB's.
Florida has Percy Harvin and two 4 star RB's on their roster. 
That is the top 5 and how ridiculous it is that USC has been able to compile that list.  More 5 star RB's than the rest of the top 5 preseason combined. 

cbjagman

Quote from: Realist on August 08, 2007, 12:39:09 pm
Allen Bradford 5 star
CJ Gable 5 star
Stafon Johnson 5 star
Joe McKnight 5 star
Marc Tyler 5 star
Emmanuel Moody 4 star
Chauncey Washington 4 star
Hershel Dennis 4 star
Broderick Green 4 star
Desmond Reed 3 star
They have an equal number of 5 star backs compared to 4 and 3 star RB's

In comparison, LSU has one 5 star RB and two 4 stars.
West Virginia will have one in Noel Devine
Michigan has two 4 star RB's.
Florida has Percy Harvin and two 4 star RB's on their roster. 
That is the top 5 and how ridiculous it is that USC has been able to compile that list.  More 5 star RB's than the rest of the top 5 preseason combined. 

Just one example of why most have selected USC as the likely '07 NC. Man, is that gaudy or what?????

SoTexHog

Quote from: Qbackinman on August 07, 2007, 09:06:53 pm

He is big, he isn't real fast by SEC standards.

Realist

Thats not including the other 23 5 star players on their team

hogfankb

Quote from: Realist on August 08, 2007, 12:58:32 pm
Thats not including the other 23 5 star players on their team

Stars are overrated. Wait. Wrong excuse for this thread.

351hog

I agree with this...look at PJ Hill last year for Wisconsin.  Tore up the Big 10, but held to something like 42 yds against us in their bowl game.  Your RB has to be fast to be able to run the ball in the SEC.

gohawgsgo

August 08, 2007, 01:59:42 pm #39 Last Edit: August 08, 2007, 02:01:26 pm by gohawgsgo
Quote from: 351hog on August 08, 2007, 01:51:08 pm

agree with this...look at PJ Hill last year for Wisconsin.  Tore up the Big 10, but held to something like 42 yds against us in their bowl game.  Your RB has to be fast to be able to run the ball in the SEC.

Maybe we will get lucky and get him back like we have the other PA boys who left the state.  If things don't go well, we will have a spot for him!

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: justmaybe on August 08, 2007, 10:08:58 am
40 time doesn't make a difference? Give me a break. I would hate to see Dmac with two-tenths less. I think Grren can be a good back. Hands, acceleration, all of those things make a big difference in your overall game. But 4.6 is not going to get around a corner in the SEC when the DE's and LB's run 4.7's or better. 4.6 will get you yards between the tackles.

Say what? Running a 4.6 won't get you around the corner?

Since when is an offensive line 40 yards long?

You think these kids run with that same speed all game long, every single time? It doesn't mater if Dmac runs a 4.3, 4.4, or 4.5. Two tenths of a second mean nothing for a RB when it's measured for a kid without pads running in a strait line without anyone else around him.

This isn't track. It's football.

Think.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: mbgrulz on August 08, 2007, 10:59:40 am

guys who average 3.3 to 4.0 ypc are bums. DMAC goes unchecked for 40 yards more than once a game, and sometimes more than once on the same carry.

Green will play at USC in 3 years...as long as they use a fullback in there offense.

Dmac isn't your typical running back. Using him as an example is silly. Hell, Cedric Cobbs averaged double digts per carry his senior year in high school.

Unless your name is Barry Sanders or Jim Brown, as a running back, you're only as good as your offensive line allows you to be.

Razorhog2006q

It has nothing to do with grades. He has some online courses waiting to be cleared by the NCAA.

TheHogFan

He should have gone to PSU. He made a huge mistake IMO.

LAHOGG

If this helps any.  I have seen him on campus several times.  And he is in a summer program here for atheletes.  And he does look like he's gotten taller.  And it was only a mistake if he wants to play in the next couple of years.  Mcnight is looking good(no pads yet) and some other freshman RB has gotten some press as well.

LAHOGG

Quote from: LAHOGG on August 08, 2007, 05:22:58 pm
If this helps any.  I have seen him on campus several times.  And he is in a summer program here for atheletes.  And he does look like he's gotten taller.  And it was only a mistake if he wants to play in the next couple of years.  Mcnight is looking good(no pads yet) and some other freshman RB has gotten some press as well. 

I don't know any details.  Just that I've seen him a few times since late july.

mbgrulz

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on August 08, 2007, 03:06:58 pm
Quote from: mbgrulz on August 08, 2007, 10:59:40 am

Dmac isn't your typical running back. Using him as an example is silly. Hell, Cedric Cobbs averaged double digts per carry his senior year in high school.

Unless your name is Barry Sanders or Jim Brown, as a running back, you're only as good as your offensive line allows you to be.
look at the SEC RB's who got over 100 carries. of the 15 RB's three tied for the lowest YPC at 4.0. the top was 7.6, but almost all had just under 5 YPC. DMAC had 5.8 BTW. if you get 3.3 to 4.0 YPC, you are not having success at running the ball.

you recruit RB's who run 4.6 or 4.7's, and i'll get the 4.5 & down guys. then lets see who has more success. i know what you are trying to say, but you're going too far out on a limb to prove your point. heck, emmitt smith ran a 4.6 at the combine, but if i have a choice, i'll take the guy who takes it to the house when he gets by the DB's over the one who gets brought down from behind.

there are stats that make no sense for some sports to measure. in basketball, players don't really need to bench press 185 lbs. (see kevin durant). football players don't really need a 35 inch verticle. but...saying that 2 tenths of a second dont matter in a football players 40, is like saying height doesn't matter to a basketball player.

DCHawg

Quote from: HoopHog on August 08, 2007, 11:10:52 am

Well...it ain't no Little Rock Catholic High!  :D

Thank God for that! 

dasheets12

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on August 08, 2007, 03:02:50 pm
Quote from: justmaybe on August 08, 2007, 10:08:58 am

Say what? Running a 4.6 won't get you around the corner?

Since when is an offensive line 40 yards long?

You think these kids run with that same speed all game long, every single time? It doesn't mater if Dmac runs a 4.3, 4.4, or 4.5. Two tenths of a second mean nothing for a RB when it's measured for a kid without pads running in a strait line without anyone else around him.

This isn't track. It's football.

Think.

so according to your thinking, if dmac runs a 4.3 without pads, but runs a 4.5 in pads, then green must run a 4.8 in pads right?

either way (1. yours, or 2. the right way) green is still slow for a sec back. he cannot get the corner, whether it be a 4.6 or 4.8 in pads.

slopinhogs

it'xs the ncaa's fault you can bet on that. a power running back with a solid passing game would work well in the SEC. :razorback:
win lose or tie i'll call the hogs till i die