Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Any comments on the Kentucky kids in the draft?

Started by jdunhog, June 23, 2016, 09:19:02 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jdunhog

Jackrabbit Hog

So far Murray selected and that's it. 

That master player developer Calipari is having a stellar night.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

jdunhog

looks like those one and dones might ought to think twice!

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: jdunhog on June 23, 2016, 09:36:15 pm
looks like those one and dones might ought to think twice!

Andy Katz just reported that Calipari, Tom Izzo and the Washington coach are all in the green room working the phones trying to convince teams to pick their guys.  There's irony in that situation if you look for it hard enough..
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

3kgthog

And Mike has how many guys being considered? Oh that's right. None.

jdunhog

jdunhog

oh Skai was supposed to be top pick at first of the year.  I guess Cal coached him down!

HiggiePiggy

Cal is a great recruiter.  He is not a great coach.  He is an average coach.
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

Jonteviosk

Quote from: 3kgthog on June 23, 2016, 10:08:10 pm

I knew this wannabe hog fan would come out of the wood work again.
You never know in advance what the outcome of any given situation is so either get busy living or get busy dying.

MountieDawg

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on June 23, 2016, 10:31:37 pm

His former players seem to disagree, but I am sure they are wrong.
SEC!

Hawg Red

Seriously?

What the f....?

King Kong

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on June 23, 2016, 10:31:37 pm

He is well above average. Do I think he is one of the greatest coaches of all time? No. But average isn't correct.

King Kong

You right Cal did a fantastic job taking Skal Labissiere from the preseason mock drafts of the 2 player overall and getting him drafted 28th.

And he only reason he was drafted there is because he begged the Suns to take him on the phone by promising he would advise the other Suns Kentucky players not to leave in free agency.

hoglady

American basketball players better take note of this draft.
Looks like these NBA teams have grown weary of the American players with potential off the court problems, the shocking lack of sound fundamentals by many of these one and dones and the me first guys just wanting that payday.

8 international players taken in the first round.
Plus of the NCAA guys taken all of these guys were born overseas - Ben Simmons (Australia), Buddy Hield (Bahamas), Jamal Murray (Canada), Jakob Poeltl (Austria), Pascal Siakam (Cameroon), Skal Labissiere (Haiti).

Guess we'll see if this is a trend or a one year outlier.

Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

dhizzle

It would be great if cheating Cal didn't have room to bring in one of his stellar classes one of these years. Then what would happen?

k.c.hawg

Quote from: dhizzle on June 24, 2016, 09:10:00 am
It would be great if cheating Cal didn't have room to bring in one of his stellar classes one of these years. Then what would happen?

He would run off as many of the returnees he could recruit over. Are you kidding??
Just sitting on the deck with a cold beer and a hot tequila watching the razorbacks roam.

RacinRazorback

Maybe the NBA is finally seeing Cals kids are leaving too early and watering down the league? Some of them do okay, but there are more that struggles at the next level.

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: King Kong on June 24, 2016, 07:55:36 am
He is well above average. Do I think he is one of the greatest coaches of all time? No. But average isn't correct.

Ok above average or average.  The players he recruits do not get better under him.  Majority of the ones that go there are one and done players. 

Quote from: MountieDawg on June 24, 2016, 07:34:34 am
His former players seem to disagree, but I am sure they are wrong.
Players will usually always say good things about their coaches. So I really don't care what a player says about his coach because it's not really saying anything off character. 

The guy in every single game just about has the more talented players because of his great recruiting.

husker71

He is a very very good coach   not just a recruiter    signed the Harrison brothers

rude1

Quote from: hoglady on June 24, 2016, 08:02:56 am
American basketball players better take note of this draft.
Looks like these NBA teams have grown weary of the American players with potential off the court problems, the shocking lack of sound fundamentals by many of these one and dones and the me first guys just wanting that payday.

8 international players taken in the first round.
Plus of the NCAA guys taken all of these guys were born overseas - Ben Simmons (Australia), Buddy Hield (Bahamas), Jamal Murray (Canada), Jakob Poeltl (Austria), Pascal Siakam (Cameroon), Skal Labissiere (Haiti).

Guess we'll see if this is a trend or a one year outlier.

This is cyclical IMO, there was a mad rush before to draft international players, but then the realization that they were just as prone to bust as american kids. Ask Detroit who drafted Darko Milicic with the number 2 pick in the 2003 draft ahead of players such as Carmelo Anthony, Chris Bosh, and Dewayne Wade, if they wish they had a do over.

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: husker71 on June 24, 2016, 09:42:56 pm
He is a very very good coach   not just a recruiter    signed the Harrison brothers

Sure.

hoglady

Quote from: rude1 on June 25, 2016, 02:35:19 pm
This is cyclical IMO, there was a mad rush before to draft international players, but then the realization that they were just as prone to bust as american kids. Ask Detroit who drafted Darko Milicic with the number 2 pick in the 2003 draft ahead of players such as Carmelo Anthony, Chris Bosh, and Dewayne Wade, if they wish they had a do over.

There are always busts.
Not a Carmelo fan at all - wish the Knicks had dumped him.
Love D Wade, though. 
This was probably the most international heavy draft in NBA history, especially when factoring in the college kids born overseas. It was not a good draft for the one and done kids.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."

Big Nasty 34

Quote from: rude1 on June 25, 2016, 02:35:19 pm

Or just shows how weak the draft was this year.

This thread is like the Timberwolves making fun of the Warriors for losing in the finals.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: hoglady on June 25, 2016, 09:00:41 pm
Not a Carmelo fan at all - wish the Knicks had dumped him.

Me either.  He's this decade's Stephon Marbury - supremely talented but for whatever reason teams don't do well with him.

King Kong

June 27, 2016, 05:01:45 pm #25 Last Edit: June 27, 2016, 05:50:10 pm by King Kong
Quote from: Karma on June 27, 2016, 04:48:23 pm
This thread is like the Timberwolves making fun of the Warriors for losing in the finals.

No.

If the thread was about making fun of Kentucky for getting knocked out in the second round of the tourney. Then your statement would be correct

clutch

Quote from: King Kong on June 27, 2016, 05:01:45 pm
No.

If the thread was about making fun of Kentucky for getting knocked out in the second round of the tourney. Then your statement would be correct

He does have a point. It's hard for us to make fun of Kentucky's draft when we didn't have anyone drafted. How many have we even had drafted in the past 5 years? Is Portis it?

Biggus Piggus

A lot of basketball media dicks came away from this draft saying it's a mistake for any good player to stay more than a year in college. Expect one-and-done to get worse. Who's this good for?
[CENSORED]!

hoglady

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on June 28, 2016, 01:34:12 pm
A lot of basketball media dicks came away from this draft saying it's a mistake for any good player to stay more than a year in college. Expect one-and-done to get worse. Who's this good for?

No one.
Not the NBA, not the College game and certainly not for the player.

MountieDawg

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on June 24, 2016, 05:31:14 pm
Ok above average or average.  The players he recruits do not get better under him.  Majority of the ones that go there are one and done players. 
Players will usually always say good things about their coaches. So I really don't care what a player says about his coach because it's not really saying anything off character. 

The guy in every single game just about has the more talented players because of his great recruiting.

Some players say that the NBA is totally new to them and they were not taught to run offenses by their college coach.  I can't remember which player said that but he plays on the Bulls I think.
SEC!

FineAsSwine

Quote from: MountieDawg on June 28, 2016, 04:13:36 pm
Some players say that the NBA is totally new to them and they were not taught to run offenses by their college coach.  I can't remember which player said that but he plays on the Bulls I think.

I think that player played on a team that won 27 games and the most in twenty years, I guess if they had ran any offense, they would have gone undefeated.

King Kong

Quote from: clutch on June 27, 2016, 08:33:47 pm
He does have a point. It's hard for us to make fun of Kentucky's draft when we didn't have anyone drafted. How many have we even had drafted in the past 5 years? Is Portis it?

His comparison was not a good one. If this was the SAT he would be getting Poor score

The point he was trying maybe valid. But his comparison not so much

Jonteviosk

Quote from: husker71 on June 24, 2016, 09:42:56 pm

Yeah and how did these scrub ass Harrison twins do against Bronson Koenig and the Wisconsin Badger oh that's right bitch slapped and neither of thm did darn as rookies. Severely overrated.
You never know in advance what the outcome of any given situation is so either get busy living or get busy dying.

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: MountieDawg on June 28, 2016, 04:13:36 pm

No. He didn't say that, you [CENSORED] [CENSORED].
[CENSORED]!

fullfan

Kids going to Kentucky is a business decision...wait, whut?   Ben Simmons says hey.