Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Nope not going to do it NBA draft

Started by husker71, June 23, 2016, 06:10:32 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

husker71

A friend just suggested we take a drink everytime Bilas says length or wingspan tonight      Would be blacked out by 730pm easily   

Jackrabbit Hog

How about "tremendous upside potential"?  Bill Simmons calls it the "TUP" factor.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

husker71

I read that the 76ers are trying to get Beverly and Ariza  earlier the steam was about them trying to get Rubio    they are looking for PG help   Also some think that the Celtics may trade at #3   could be interesting night

Hawg Red

I watched Yahoo's The Vertical coverage on the Yahoo Sports app on my AppleTV and it was so much better than ESPN's coverage. I haven't enjoyed the official NBA draft coverage since the draft was on TNT. The Vertical had Tom Crean, Bobby Marks (former NBA front office member) and Mike Schmitz (the guy from Draft Express that does all of the strength/weakness videos). And, of course, they would show a tweet graphic any time Woj or Shams Charania broke a trade or pick, so you're still finding everything out before the actual draft shows it. You just don't get to see the players go to the stage and then get interviewed right after (though they did interview several picks later on).

Crazy draft. Don't think parity is the right word but there were a lot of guys that you just aren't sure what they're going to become and they were all over the place on different draft boards. A very eye-of-the-beholder draft. I think Simmons, Ingram, Dunn, and a couple of the international big men will be All-Stars at some point. I like the Blake Griffin comparison for Ben Simmons. Not necessarily based on style of play, but both guys are freak athletes (though in different ways) and will put up big numbers and make eye-popping plays. But both guys also aren't likely to lead a franchise to any real success as the lead guy. Would the Clippers even be a playoff team without Chris Paul? They certainly don't advance a round without him. Griffin and Simmons are both, to me, very superficial talents. A lot of casual observers will think they're really good, but in reality, aren't true All-NBA talents. I like Ingram eventually as a Paul Pierce-type player. Lakers actually had a really good draft with Ingram and Zubic in the second round. Zubic was a first round talent that dropped because he wants to play in the NBA next season and a lot of teams were looking for guys that would agree to not come over right away (this is why we saw a few of the 2nd round-projected international guys go in the 1st round).

k.c.hawg

I think Simmons can be an outstanding player "if" he can develop 3 point range to his shot. If not I think your analysis could hold true. If he does I see all other aspects of his game making him a diverse, unique player. If he is driven to get better and super competitive he could be a beast.
Just sitting on the deck with a cold beer and a hot tequila watching the razorbacks roam.

Hawg Red

Quote from: k.c.hawg on June 24, 2016, 09:00:40 am
I think Simmons can be an outstanding player "if" he can develop 3 point range to his shot. If not I think your analysis could hold true. If he does I see all other aspects of his game making him a diverse, unique player. If he is driven to get better and super competitive he could be a beast.

If he changes his attitude, he will be a LeBron-lite. If he's willing to put in the work, be a good teammate, do whatever it takes to win....he's a Hall-of-Famer. I just can't feel with any confidence right now that he will get there. If he puts the work in, he could be unstoppable. He can do things on the court that just can't be taught, so that's why I think it will be relatively easy for him to be an All-Star caliber player based on unteachable skill, physical gifts and opportunity. But the reality is you can be an All-Star and not be a great player. Stats get you to the All-Star game and too many fans use that as a measuring stick. I think that's a mistake.

k.c.hawg

Quote from: Hawg Red on June 24, 2016, 09:51:49 am
If he changes his attitude, he will be a LeBron-lite. If he's willing to put in the work, be a good teammate, do whatever it takes to win....he's a Hall-of-Famer. I just can't feel with any confidence right now that he will get there. If he puts the work in, he could be unstoppable. He can do things on the court that just can't be taught, so that's why I think it will be relatively easy for him to be an All-Star caliber player based on unteachable skill, physical gifts and opportunity. But the reality is you can be an All-Star and not be a great player. Stats get you to the All-Star game and too many fans use that as a measuring stick. I think that's a mistake.

When a guy is looking at $100 million for his first shoe deal, money is no longer a motivating factor. Guys that get those kind of deals better have a fire in them to be better than everyone else. Hall of Famers are almost always the hardest workers. We'll see. It would be nice to see a guy with his talents combine a HOF work ethic with it. The NBA would be a lot more interesting the next 10 years.
Just sitting on the deck with a cold beer and a hot tequila watching the razorbacks roam.

Hawg Red

Quote from: k.c.hawg on June 24, 2016, 10:06:30 am
When a guy is looking at $100 million for his first shoe deal, money is no longer a motivating factor. Guys that get those kind of deals better have a fire in them to be better than everyone else. Hall of Famers are almost always the hardest workers. We'll see. It would be nice to see a guy with his talents combine a HOF work ethic with it. The NBA would be a lot more interesting the next 10 years.

I don't think we'll ever see Ben Simmons at his full potential, but his floor is so much higher than most prospects ceiling. He's so naturally good that he'll have a good, long NBA career, and even remain popular. But the owners and fans of the team(s) he plays for will always be left wanting more.

ShadowHawg

Big men aren't leading their teams deep in the playoffs anymore. It's a guard oriented league but acting like Griffin's been a disappointment is crazy. He puts up great numbers on a good team unlike most other guys putting up numbers from the paint.....Just look at Love with Minnesota and how sorry most of the other teams guys who put up great numbers in the paint in the league are.

Hawg Red

Quote from: ShadowHawg on June 24, 2016, 11:38:20 pm
Big men aren't leading their teams deep in the playoffs anymore. It's a guard oriented league but acting like Griffin's been a disappointment is crazy. He puts up great numbers on a good team unlike most other guys putting up numbers from the paint.....Just look at Love with Minnesota and how sorry most of the other teams guys who put up great numbers in the paint in the league are.

You're a reaching a little to say that I said he was "disappointing." But great numbers alone aren't enough. Griffin can't carry a team. The guy played in 35 regular season games and his team won 53 games and had the 6th best record in the league. Let that sit.

The Clippers are a good team because of Chris Paul. Their success without Griffin proves that. They don't even make the playoffs without Paul. LAC without Chris Paul is Minnesota with Kevin Love, hate to break it to you.

daprospecta

Quote from: Hawg Red on June 27, 2016, 07:47:03 am
You're a reaching a little to say that I said he was "disappointing." But great numbers alone aren't enough. Griffin can't carry a team. The guy played in 35 regular season games and his team won 53 games and had the 6th best record in the league. Let that sit.

The Clippers are a good team because of Chris Paul. Their success without Griffin proves that. They don't even make the playoffs without Paul. LAC without Chris Paul is Minnesota with Kevin Love, hate to break it to you.
I think Blake Griffin simply maxed out his potential.  I think too many expectations were placed on him like adding facets to his game when in all actuality, he just became really good at being an above the rim player.