Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Just read Anderson quote

Started by lynbug, May 13, 2016, 10:38:15 am

Previous topic - Next topic

lynbug

In the Dem-Gaz he said that making the tournament next year is a sure thing and their aiming for the championship.  I'm so excited.   :) :razorback: :) :razorback:

nwahogfan1

Quote from: lynbug on May 13, 2016, 10:38:15 am
In the Dem-Gaz he said that making the tournament next year is a sure thing and their aiming for the championship.  I'm so excited.   :) :razorback: :) :razorback:

With the team full of uppe classmen something like 10 juniors and seniors it will be a big disappointment to me if we don't get to the SECC game and the sweet 16. 

Go Hogs.

King Kong

Kind of what he said that quote got weird if you listen to the full presser

ricepig

Quote from: lynbug on May 13, 2016, 10:38:15 am

https://twitter.com/HImagazine/status/730797704054333441

VirginiaHog

Correct. He said (talking about his expectations) that his goal is to win a championship so of course he expects to always make the tourney.

pigture perfect

It won't mean much to me if we make the dance and even win one, if we don't make it again the following year. Inconsistency leads to fan frustration.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

hamARchy in the USA

His focus on the NCAA Tourney rather than on a conference title is one of the reasons his teams are habitual underachievers, imo.   Having something to play for is key to inspiring players to get the most out of themselves.

Every conference game is important when gunning for a conference title.  If the conference season is relatively unimportant to the players then they are going to regularly get outplayed because they only have to win enough games to make the tourney.   Max effort from start to finish and learning to out tough the opponent late in games becomes ingrained.   So does only doing enough to get by.   

PorkSoda

Quote from: hamARchy in the USA on May 13, 2016, 06:19:01 pm
His focus on the NCAA Tourney rather than on a conference title is one of the reasons his teams are habitual underachievers, imo.   Having something to play for is key to inspiring players to get the most out of themselves.

Every conference game is important when gunning for a conference title.  If the conference season is relatively unimportant to the players then they are going to regularly get outplayed because they only have to win enough games to make the tourney.   Max effort from start to finish and learning to out tough the opponent late in games becomes ingrained.   So does only doing enough to get by.   
I agree.  conference championship should be the first and primary goal for all sports.  do that and national championships will come naturally.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

Dr. Starcs

I disagree that a conference title should be the main focus.

This isn't football where the conference champ is pretty much automatically in the final 4. You can't win a title in football without winning your conference.

Basketball is a different deal. Being a conference contender is a must, but winning your conference and/or conference tournament isn't that big a deal.

Jmo.

PorkSoda

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on May 13, 2016, 07:23:46 pm

This isn't football where the conference champ is pretty much automatically in the final 4. You can't win a title in football without winning your conference.

Basketball is a different deal. Being a conference contender is a must, but winning your conference and/or conference tournament isn't that big a deal.

Jmo.

but winning it will certainly guarantee you a higher seed.

On top of that winning your conference is a significant accomplishment by itself.

"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

nwahogfan1

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on May 13, 2016, 07:23:46 pm

Jmo.

I think it all starts with winning the SECC.  Winning breeds winning.  More you win the more you want to win and the more you expect to win.  JMO

Cinco de Hogo

Why play in a conference if you have no interest in putting a CC trophy in a cabinet.  Win one game, have a winning record, being ranked, winning the CC, getting to the NCAAT, getting the highest seed possible, making the next round, getting to the final four,

Winning it all!

Those are all goals that are important to the elite programs.

HoopS

May 14, 2016, 11:48:58 am #12 Last Edit: May 14, 2016, 12:37:21 pm by HoopS

Yes the ultimate goal is a national title for ALL TEAMS.

But those same teams understand, because it's a GIVEN, that to reach the ultimate goal you have to reach various smaller goals along he way.

He didn't mention the individual goals that are along the way because it should be understood already.

Can't make the tournament if you don't take care of business throughout the season.

lynbug

My original post was a bit tongue in cheek but........after reading the whole article I did get the feeling that he understands the overall angst in basketball Razorback nation.  I got the feeling that MA is feeling a bit of urgency.  But when he takes that big paycheck to the bank I am wondering if he feels more urgency or less urgency.  Just a thought.  I guess it depends on his most recent conversation with JL.

Sivad

I like what the DemGaz says is Anderson's new motto: "Don't Panic".
Not exactly confidence inspiring but let's hope.

hoglady

Barring catastrophic injuries this is a "no excuse" year.
If we're not competing for a conference title, in the Top 25 by mid season and an NCAA lock it will be a disappointing year.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

root_hawg

What is he supposed to say, "mm we'll have a nice team and will represent the university well".  He wasn't brought here to not win championships

lynbug

Quote from: root_hawg on May 15, 2016, 08:27:06 am
What is he supposed to say, "mm we'll have a nice team and will represent the university well".  He wasn't brought here to not win championships

Well since the general consensus is that next year will be, as Hoglady put it, a "no excuses" year he  might have to put a tiny bit more thought into how he spins things in the off-season.  (Since crazy die-hards like me tend to "hang onto" any smidgin of news, hope, rumors, quotes, etc.)

rude1

Quote from: hoglady on May 15, 2016, 08:24:39 am
Barring catastrophic injuries this is a "no excuse" year.
If we're not competing for a conference title, in the Top 25 by mid season and an NCAA lock it will be a disappointing year.
^^^ That. And it will signal time for a change IMO.

Champs04

Justifiable Hogicide

Quote from: hoglady on May 15, 2016, 08:24:39 am
This is a "no excuse" year.
It would be nice (by Year 6) to not see them but if there is not major improvement - they will flood the Mike Anderson market again.

texas tush hog

May 19, 2016, 09:36:24 am #21 Last Edit: May 19, 2016, 09:54:49 am by texas tush hog
Quote from: nwahogfan1 on May 13, 2016, 10:42:32 am
With the team full of uppe classmen something like 10 juniors and seniors it will be a big disappointment to me if we don't get to the SECC game and the sweet 16. 

Go Hogs.

I think Mike is fully aware of what is expected of him. I think losing both Portis and Qualls caught him off guard, which kind of disappointed me a little but, losing Kapita did not. I think he could have been allright last year if only Portis had left and Kapita had made it to campus. Qualls did himself no favors, nor us, and the funny money incident disrupted the rythym of the entire team, which unlike most on here, I do not hold Mike totally accountable for. With college kids, sometimes, you just can't fix stupid, especially when they have been coddled since elementary school, like most elite athletes have been. One thing I am sure of, Mike is all Hog and all class, as is his staff. If he leaves the next hire may be just a hired gun, just here for the money until the next  job comes along and he may not leave us in the best shape. My daddy used to say, "be careful what you pray for."(Think Heath/Pelfrey)

HogimusMaximus

His job should be on the line.

HogBreath

Quote from: texas tush hog on May 19, 2016, 09:36:24 am
My daddy used to say, "be careful what you pray for."(Think Heath/Pelfrey)

Exactly right...I doubt any of us want to go back to a time when we were making the tournament more regularly.
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

texas tush hog

Quote from: HogBreath on May 22, 2016, 04:07:22 pm
Exactly right...I doubt any of us want to go back to a time when we were making the tournament more regularly.

With Heath and Pelfrey?

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: HogimusMaximus on May 19, 2016, 11:17:51 am

Do you know where the line is though?

HogimusMaximus

Sivad

Quote from: HogimusMaximus on May 19, 2016, 11:17:51 am
It won't be, regardless of whether he sends us a "proof of life" for the BB program in year 6 or not.

HogBreath

I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

texas tush hog

Quote from: HogBreath on May 23, 2016, 10:12:18 pm
Uh yeah, three is more than one.

So I guess I should not worry about making a seat for you on the band wagon next year.

southarkhog06

Quote from: Sivad on May 23, 2016, 05:02:52 pm
It won't be, regardless of whether he sends us a "proof of life" for the BB program in year 6 or not.
BS, no tourney and he is gone.

Captain Morgan

Quote from: southarkhog06 on May 27, 2016, 10:48:07 am
BS, no tourney and he is gone.
That's going to be very tough considering the SEC only gets 3 teams in the dance. Kentucky and Florida should be tournament teams next year and the third team is anyone's question. My opinion is this is an NIT team with around 21 wins including both good wins and bad losses 

HoopS

Quote from: Captain Morgan on May 27, 2016, 11:35:30 am
That's going to be very tough considering the SEC only gets 3 teams in the dance. Kentucky and Florida should be tournament teams next year and the third team is anyone's question. My opinion is this is an NIT team with around 21 wins including both good wins and bad losses 
that is a factor and has factored in already in some years but I still believe we need to make it this season. We made a mistake a few years ago in, not not playing good enough teams, but by having about 3 RPI anchors on our schedule. Probably did enough WL wise until those sub 300 teams factored in and took us out of the picture. Sad for those teams but we have to make sure we just don't schedule them anymore as they can totally negate other games. I don't think it's fair but it is what it is and we need to schedule accordingly.

Justifiable Hogicide

JenksHawg

Quote from: tncbg on May 13, 2016, 05:15:26 pm
Not a guarantee and wouldn't matter if it was. He should have high expectations and he does. He also made a legitimate point about last year.  Portis leaving was not a shock, but Qualls probably was. Add to that the Kapita debacle, off season crimes, suspension and transfer, and you get 16-16. He's reloaded and ready to put last year behind us. We have a lot to look forward to. Go Hogs!

"reloaded"? seriously?

HoopS

Quote from: JenksHawg on May 30, 2016, 10:35:06 am
"reloaded"? seriously?
define it as you will but the current roster has a chance to be really good.

texas tush hog

Quote from: HoopS on May 30, 2016, 12:25:52 pm
define it as you will but the current roster has a chance to be really good.

Personally I agree. Barring another calamity I believe this may be the Debbie Downers last shot at taking Mike out. I make no apologies for being a Mike Anderson fan. Have been ever since he came in with Nolan, consider him a friend along with Fitz Hill, and cannot wait to see them team up again, and look forward to teaming up with both of them when Justice shows up. Used to pick Mike and Nolan up at the airport when I was head of the GDRC and look to get involved with round ball again. Dropped my season tickets when Nolan was fired because of the long drive on icy roads and other factors. Things have changed and now able to pick up the slack as my grandkids come along. Watch Mike run.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: texas tush hog on May 31, 2016, 09:53:54 am
I make no apologies for being a Mike Anderson fan.

Shouldn't have to either.  :razorback:

HoopS

Some folks honestly will not accept him even when we win. All you had to do was hang around here during our most wins since the mid-90's and read all the negative crap to know that. So many experts here who always knew the better decisions in terms of defensive switches and player rotations. It was actually fun to sit and read and knowing that many of them wouldn't know a Motion offense or a stretch 4 if they kicked them in the face. But ole Mike is so stupid.

So yep, it should hush some up, but I guarantee you it won't shut many of them up. I also get a kick out of "unacceptable" being thrown around. What's even funnier is knowing most of the ones saying it deemed this hiring unacceptable when it happened and think their opinion on something else he did or didn't do being unacceptable makes a difference. Frankly, the more things he does that they find unacceptable, the more I become convinced he must have done something right.

booogaga

If the JUCOs pan out and having Moses and Trey down low I can see a very successful team next season. A lot of experience coming back.
GO HOGS!

wheelspigharvey

Quote from: booogaga on June 01, 2016, 12:17:07 pm
If the JUCOs pan out and having Moses and Trey down low I can see a very successful team next season. A lot of experience coming back.

That's a dope avatar, sir.

Dr. Starcs

Well the latest way too early espn bracketology does not have the hogs in it.

http://m.espn.go.com/ncb/bracketology?src=desktop

Guess that kinda puts a damper on all you sweet 16 or bust folks.

alaback

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on June 01, 2016, 02:07:14 pm
Well the latest way too early espn bracketology does not have the hogs in it.

http://m.espn.go.com/ncb/bracketology?src=desktop

Guess that kinda puts a damper on all you sweet 16 or bust folks.

#1 Kentucky
#5 aTm
#8 Vandy
#9 Florida

Looks like a lot of thought was put in to this bracketology. 

FineAsSwine

Quote from: alaback on June 01, 2016, 02:54:09 pm
#1 Kentucky
#5 aTm
#8 Vandy
#9 Florida

Looks like a lot of thought was put in to this bracketology. 
I think we'll be better than Florida, Vandy and maybe aTm.

HoopS

A&M won't be a 5 seed with all they're losing.

root_hawg

I believe that A&M has signed 7 four stars in 15 and 16.

HoopS

I'm sure they've signed good classes but they're losing their veteran leaders. Anyway, we will see.

root_hawg

Ky lost all their leadership, where are they ranked?

HoopS

Hey, if you're buying the hype, knock yourself out. I just know what A&M lost and while those 4* I'm sure are good, they aren't the 5* Kentucky just signed. Like I said, we will see if Kennedy can replicate this season after losing those guys. I'll take the odds that he won't.

texas tush hog

Quote from: booogaga on June 01, 2016, 12:17:07 pm

I think Trey and Dustin Thomas are going to shock these Negative Nancys and Debbie Downers and finally show what our coaching staff is capable of. These two baby Grizzlies will take some pressure off of our Papa Bear Kingsley and let our outside people shine. Wait for it.