Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Nebraska fires their AD

Started by HoggyCat, September 21, 2017, 01:11:46 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

King Kong

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on September 21, 2017, 02:25:27 pm
Producing 8 win seasons?  Please show me how many 8 win seasons he had. As a matter of fact let's count how many 8 or less in a season he had.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bo_Pelini

Probably should look and see what his actual record is there before making crap up.

He took a lot of crap for getting blown out a lot. But his overall record was good.

I remember when Pelini was try to get either he Arkansas or UT job prior to getting blow out 70-17 in the Big 10 Championship

jkstock04

Quote from: 311Hog on September 21, 2017, 01:43:32 pm
doesn't this mean the Head coach is also fired hehe?
You gotta think he's in the crosshairs.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

Ā 

Razorbackers

Producing 8 win seasons?  Please show me how many 8 win seasons he had. As a matter of fact let's count how many 8 or less in a season he had.

Probably should look and see what his actual record is there before making crap up.

I was about to say this as well. 9 win seasons galore. Everyone said they were stupid for firing a coach that won like that.

Kevin

Quote from: longpig on September 21, 2017, 02:34:01 pm
True, they've slipped from near dynasty to mostly 9+ win seasons with the occasional .500 one.  Riley's gone 6-7, 9-4 his first two there and is a good fit.

should have never left big 12
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

jkstock04

I always thought they were dumb for firing Pelini...but I didn't know all the details there.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

longpig

8, 9 who cares?  That was his ceiling like 6,7 is CBB's ceiling and it wasn't good enough for Cornhusker fans or their AD. 
Don't be scared, be smart.

Razorbackers

Quote from: jkstock04 on September 21, 2017, 02:36:41 pm
I always thought they were dumb for firing Pelini...but I didn't know all the details there.

One of the biggest drivers of it, much like Mangino at KU, was that Pelini is a huge prick.

I know that shouldn't be the biggest motivator, but year after year of 9 wins and the losses looking like coaching breakdowns, him being a prick was the icing on the cake for a lot of folks.

Razorbackers

Quote from: longpig on September 21, 2017, 02:36:57 pm
8, 9 who cares?  That was his ceiling like 6,7 is CBB's ceiling and it wasn't good enough for Cornhusker fans or their AD.

Sounds like CBB has already broke through his ceiling of 7 wins, which is weird.

longpig

Quote from: King Kong on September 21, 2017, 02:34:16 pm
He took a lot of crap for getting blown out a lot. But his overall record was good.

I remember when Pelini was try to get either he Arkansas or UT job prior to getting blow out 70-17 in the Big 10 Championship

Yep, in the same down years in the Big Ten that Bielema was dominating, to put his abilities in perspective.

jkstock04

Quote from: Razorbackers on September 21, 2017, 02:37:55 pm
One of the biggest drivers of it, much like Mangino at KU, was that Pelini is a huge prick.

I know that shouldn't be the biggest motivator, but year after year of 9 wins and the losses looking like coaching breakdowns, him being a prick was the icing on the cake for a lot of folks.
That's exactly why I thought it was dumb that they fired him...people didn't like him because he wasn't the prim and proper Jim Tresell type. I do recall the speech he gave to his players right after being fired...I thought it was epic.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

longpig

Quote from: Razorbackers on September 21, 2017, 02:37:55 pm

This, and has a face only a mother can love.  Their AD was constantly putting out Pelini's fires. 

DeltaBoy

Quote from: a0ashle on September 21, 2017, 01:45:40 pm
I would love to be the Nebraska of ole, I am not saying they arent a better program, but that they are a shell of what they should be because they had unrealistic expectations and thought they would find the next Nick Saban

They Lost the master of the Red shirt and Walk on Pipeline.  Tom Osborne had a 1/3 of his team as Walk on's and were on scholarship for academics etc.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

AirWarren

Ā 

longpig

Quote from: Razorbackers on September 21, 2017, 02:38:19 pm
Sounds like CBB has already broke through his ceiling of 7 wins, which is weird.

broke through and fell through.

southwesthawg

Nebraska is one of the All time great football programs but the Razorbacks have a much better overall Athletic Program.

longpig

Quote from: jkstock04 on September 21, 2017, 02:41:28 pm
That's exactly why I thought it was dumb that they fired him...people didn't like him because he wasn't the prim and proper Jim Tresell type. I do recall the speech he gave to his players right after being fired...I thought it was epic.

Talked to a lot of Nebraska fans recently in the four months I lived in Omaha.  Pretty much every one of them was OK with Pelini's antics and didn't want him fired.  Noone liked Callahan.

forrest city joe

Quote from: HoggyCat on September 21, 2017, 01:11:46 pm
Must be nice to have knowledgeable fans and powers that fe that care.
He came out and supported head coach Mike Riley,after that terrible loss to N.ILL. with the AD gone,Mike Riley is history at the end of the season.if he finishes the season.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: jkstock04 on September 21, 2017, 02:41:28 pm

He went on a taped profanity laced tirade about the fan base, couldn't beat ranked teams often enough, couldn't win bowls often enough and defense had some awful games.  Thought we were to admire programs with standards?
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

195bc

Quote from: hogcard1964 on September 21, 2017, 02:30:34 pm
What do you think is incorrect about that?

The current state of the programs or the traditions?

I can't even believe someone would try to argue this. Too many fans have a hard time being objective and seeing their program as it really was and is. Nebraska is a greater program than Arkansas. Historically, it's a night and day difference. Nebraska is far better. Since the BCS era began, Nebraska has still been more successful than us. I believe as of last year (and maybe still going), Nebraska had sold out every home home game since the early 1960s. Their stadium currently holds about 85,000. Since Bob Devaney took over in 1962, they have 5 national championships, 23 conference championships, 8 more division "championships" and 3 Heisman winners. Since the BCS era started, they have finished season ranked 10 times and gone to a bowl every year but twice. Nebraska is certainly not what it once was, but it's still better. In case anyone was wondering, we've finished the season ranked 5 times since the BCS started and missed a bowl game 5 times. Maybe we surpass them in the future as the better program, but the current trend doesn't indicate that. 

longpig

Quote from: 195bc on September 21, 2017, 02:58:52 pm
I can't even believe someone would try to argue this. Too many fans have a hard time being objective and seeing their program as it really was and is. Nebraska is a greater program than Arkansas. Historically, it's a night and day difference. Nebraska is far better. Since the BCS era began, Nebraska has still been more successful than us. I believe as of last year (and maybe still going), Nebraska had sold out every home home game since the early 1960s. Their stadium currently holds about 85,000. Since Bob Devaney took over in 1962, they have 5 national championships, 23 conference championships, 8 more division "championships" and 3 Heisman winners. Since the BCS era started, they have finished season ranked 10 times and gone to a bowl every year but twice. Nebraska is certainly not what it once was, but it's still better. In case anyone was wondering, we've finished the season ranked 5 times since the BCS started and missed a bowl game 5 times. Maybe we surpass them in the future as the better program, but the current trend doesn't indicate that.

They charge $5 to $20 for the spring game and get 70K+ to come every year.  Most programs (including Arkansas) doesn't half fill the place with free admission.

hogcard1964

Quote from: 195bc on September 21, 2017, 02:58:52 pm

I agree

It's not close really.

GoHogs1091

At Nebraska, the Athletic Director made a poor Head Football Coach hire, and the AD gave that Coach an ill-advised and undeserving contract extension.  The AD got shown the door.

At Arkansas, the Athletic Director made a poor Head Football Coach hire, and the AD gave that Coach an ill-advised and undeserving contract extension and excessive buyout.  The AD is on a pedestal and has an untouchable status.

Shows the difference between expectations and shows the difference between a real collegiate football program and a pretender collegiate football program that is drifting in the wind and just going through the motions.

Razorbackers

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on September 21, 2017, 03:43:44 pm
At Nebraska, the Athletic Director made a poor Head Football Coach hire, and the AD gave that Coach an ill-advised and undeserving contract extension.  The AD got shown the door.

At Arkansas, the Athletic Director made a poor Head Football Coach hire, and the AD gave that Coach an ill-advised and undeserving contract extension and excessive buyout.  The AD is on a pedestal and has an untouchable status.

Shows the difference between expectations and shows the difference between a real collegiate football program and a pretender collegiate football program that is drifting in the wind and just going through the motions.

Oh snap, have we been pretending to play football all these years?

What a silly post.

HoggyCat

Quote from: Razorbackers on September 21, 2017, 03:46:30 pm

What a silly post.

And sheep like you are why we're stuck with Bert & Jeffi.
I'm only responsible for what I say, not how you perceive it.

Ā 

Redhogs

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on September 21, 2017, 03:43:44 pm

Boom goes the dynamite.
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

GoHogs1091

What a silly post.

Bielema's overall record at Arkansas.

26 wins  27 losses

I would say there really hasn't been any high quality football played by the Razorback football program over the last few years.

There is also the John L. Smith year debacle (Smith was another poor hire by Long).

Redhogs

What a silly post.
Guess you missed the last 6 freaking years...he's exactly right.

HiggiePiggy

Frank Solich is a perfect example of why it is not good to follow a legend at the school. Tom Osborne had won 3 NC in 4 years.  Solich took over and was winning 9 to 12 games a year and had 1 7-7 season and they fired him because he couldn't get them to the NC game.
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

Tusks

hahahaha  Trev Albert a possible new AD.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

The_Iceman

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on September 21, 2017, 04:17:05 pm
Frank Solich is a perfect example of why it is not good to follow a legend at the school. Tom Osborne had won 3 NC in 4 years.  Solich took over and was winning 9 to 12 games a year and had 1 7-7 season and they fired him because he couldn't get them to the NC game.

Yeah, they fired him after he went 9-3. He went on to Ohio and has done pretty well there. Should never have fired him.

Hogarusa

Firing Pelini was the right move. Hiring Riley was a poor move. It was widely panned when it happened and he hasnt done anything to prove otherwise. Husker fans are stuck in the 90s of their success and are having a difficult time admitting what their program really is in 2017, a middle of the pack B1G team. Nobody from the south wants to live in Nebraska from Oct-March. Its awful. Tough to recruit when you move out ofthe conference of  Texas

Time to give Scott Frost a chance.
I'll ride the wave where it takes me

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: The_Iceman on September 21, 2017, 04:29:05 pm
Yeah, they fired him after he went 9-3. He went on to Ohio and has done pretty well there. Should never have fired him.

I agree.  He had 3 seasons in a row where he was 12-1, 10-2, and 11-2.

The_Iceman

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on September 21, 2017, 03:56:39 pm
Bielema's overall record at Arkansas.

26 wins  27 losses

I would say there really hasn't been any high quality football played by the Razorback football program over the last few years.

There is also the John L. Smith year debacle (Smith was another poor hire by Long).

Take off the first year, to be fair, since Bielema inherited a dumpster fire. His record is:

23 Wins and 18 Losses.

I think that is a more accurate reflection of Bret Bielema. Counting the 3 and 9 year after Bobby's firing, the JLS season, the lack of recruiting, and system change isn't really fair to him.

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: tusked on September 21, 2017, 01:25:04 pm
Nebraska tried to hire hootie until J.Lindsey lost his mind.
A convenient excuse to trot out one of my favorite college sports jokes:

Q. What does the 'N' on Nebraska's helmet stand for?
A. Knowledge

Razorbackers

Quote from: The_Iceman on September 21, 2017, 04:32:58 pm
Take off the first year, to be fair, since Bielema inherited a dumpster fire. His record is:

23 Wins and 18 Losses.

I think that is a more accurate reflection of Bret Bielema. Counting the 3 and 9 year after Bobby's firing, the JLS season, the lack of recruiting, and system change isn't really fair to him.

NO YOU'RE A SHEEP YOU SHEEP

We've got a yankee sent from yankeeland to come down and destroy THE GREATEST FOOTBALL PROGRAM IN THE NATION and also remove any confederate statues probably. It's all one big conspiracy.

On the front page today alone we have threads that compare Arkansas football to both Nebraska AND Alabama...these people are delusional.

The_Iceman

Quote from: Razorbackers on September 21, 2017, 04:44:29 pm
NO YOU'RE A SHEEP YOU SHEEP

We've got a yankee sent from yankeeland to come down and destroy THE GREATEST FOOTBALL PROGRAM IN THE NATION and also remove any confederate statues probably. It's all one big conspiracy.

On the front page today alone we have threads that compare Arkansas football to both Nebraska AND Alabama...these people are delusional.

And I'm not even saying that's good. But 23-18 is averaging 7.3 wins a year and 6 losses a year.

The sad thing is what Bielema missed by his failure to finish out a few games. 2015 was easily a 9 or 10 win team in terms of talent. Last year we had 9 wins in our grasp, and he blew it.

How much different would the fan base and national perception of this program feel if we'd be sitting here with back to back 9 win seasons?

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: hogcard1964 on September 21, 2017, 01:24:13 pm
Nebraska>Arkansas

Used to be.............not anymore. But thanks for playing. You don't win a consolation prize though.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Redhogs

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on September 21, 2017, 04:17:05 pm
No danger of that here, no matter who we hire.

Razorbackers

Quote from: The_Iceman on September 21, 2017, 04:55:24 pm
And I'm not even saying that's good. But 23-18 is averaging 7.3 wins a year and 6 losses a year.

The sad thing is what Bielema missed by his failure to finish out a few games. 2015 was easily a 9 or 10 win team in terms of talent. Last year we had 9 wins in our grasp, and he blew it.

How much different would the fan base and national perception of this program feel if we'd be sitting here with back to back 9 win seasons?

For sure.

You've got last year's bowl game, mizzou, toledo, A&M...games we should have won.

Then you have Ole Miss, LSU, Florida, TCU...games we probably shouldn't have won.

It's been a wild ride.

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on September 21, 2017, 04:58:17 pm
Used to be.............not anymore. But thanks for playing. You don't win a consolation prize though.

Still is until we find a coach that can turn Arkansas into a 8 to 11 win team on a yearly basis

Captain Morgan

Are we assuming Bielema jumps to Nebraska when Riley is fired later this season?

Porkchop#1

Quote from: Hoggie17 on September 21, 2017, 02:20:46 pm
No one wants CBB, we are stuck with him.
Boy, I just don't know, he'd be a great fit there for sure, restore that once proud program to great heights, him and Long would work wonders together in Lincoln.

OneTuskOverTheLineā„¢

Quote from: a0ashle on September 21, 2017, 01:18:45 pm
Nebraska? You want to be NEBRASKA?!

[/thread] Everything that followed this was irrelevant.
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

HoggyCat

Quote from: The_Iceman on September 21, 2017, 04:32:58 pm

23 Wins and 18 Losses.

A dumpster fire tear in '13 that SHOULD have been 6-6, with a bowl pending.

A 6-6 '14 team that very well could've been 10-2.  SHOULD have beaten A&M, could've beaten Bama, State and Mizzou.

A 7-5 team that very well could have been 11-1. The only legitimate loss that year was to bama. Beat Toledo and there's no hangover effect against TTU & A&M. And never should've taken the ball out of Allen's hands against State.

Then the crap storm of '16.

So keep blaming Petrino, nutt, Hugo Bezdek, etc etc. We know none of the aforementioned losses were Bielema's fault.
I'm only responsible for what I say, not how you perceive it.

AirWarren

Nebraska was ignorant for firing Pelini.

Porkchop#1

Quote from: Captain Morgan on September 21, 2017, 05:46:41 pm
Are we assuming Bielema jumps to Nebraska when Riley is fired later this season?
Who could blame those 'Huskers for coming a courtin CBB, they love to win, and they'd be back to their glory days in no time if they get Bret Bielema.

Our loss, but oh well.  They might even want Mr Long.  Dang their cornhuskin hides! >:(

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: AP85 on September 21, 2017, 07:59:16 pm
Nebraska was ignorant for firing Pelini.

If they were smart they would have realized what Tom Osborne did was going to be extremely tough to duplicate and kept Solich.

Heck it took Tom Osborne 21 years before he won 3 NCs in 4 years. He never had less than 9 wins in a season though. 

hog.goblin

Quote from: longpig on September 21, 2017, 02:36:57 pm

so you still aren't going to look at his record and instead just spew more crap?  Is it that hard to click a link?

his ceiling wasn't 8...or 9.  Try 10.  He won 10 games 3 times in 7 years and 9 games in the other 4.  Drop the 8 BS and inaccurate acquiescence of 9.

Bo was fired because he was a jerk, and made a fool of himself on sidelines.  That and he couldn't win a conference title.  I'm guessing they wouldn't mind having a jerk on the sidelines again, someone who could at least make a run at a conference title.  He just lost in the FCS championship game in year 2, and took Pitt to OT in week 1.

Nebraska fired two very good coaches and they deserve the mediocrity they are enduring.  I happen to like Riley.  But I think he is an X's and O's coach who struggles to recruit and get his teams fired up consistently.

jvanhorn

Quote from: a0ashle on September 21, 2017, 01:45:40 pm
I would love to be the Nebraska of ole, I am not saying they arent a better program, but that they are a shell of what they should be because they had unrealistic expectations and thought they would find the next Nick Saban

OU may have found him already.  Time will tell.

jvanhorn

or maybe he already has a job at Clemson.  I don't think he is in the SEC though.