Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Wichita State coach Gregg Marshall on Louisville

Started by WizardofhOgZ, October 17, 2017, 10:45:00 am

Previous topic - Next topic

WizardofhOgZ

Coach Marshall started out by discussing how Louisville's cheating may have cost him and his team a shot at the 2013 National Championship (Louisville eliminated the Shockers in a tight game at the Final Four).

http://amp.kansas.com/sports/college/wichita-state/article179099791.html

But then, he went on to describe his approach to recruiting and coaching in today's "One and done"/AAU/Agent environment. I'd like to think Coach Anderson would second these thoughts, were he given the chance.

Marshall is encouraged by the effort to clean up recruiting in college basketball.

"I'd like to see the playing field evened and hopefully this is what we're trying do," Marshall said. "Hopefully we're establishing that the things that have been going on at certain places are no longer acceptable. We're not going to turn a blind eye and continue to let it negatively affect the state of college basketball."

Marshall has read about the lengths other coaches have gone to entice blue-chip prospects to come to their program.

He has a difficult time imagining a player like that working out for the Shockers. He doesn't know how to operate like that and he points out that WSU has attained all of its success without a single five-star recruit.

"I don't have to recruit and deal with a lot of stuff you have read about now on the national level," Marshall said. "I get to find the undervalued guys, the diamonds in the rough, so to speak. We generally don't recruit the five-star guy, not to say I wouldn't take a five-star guy. But I'm not going to get involved in the world that we've read about and heard about recently.

"We call it coaching with integrity and we're going to continue to do that. We're going to keep coaching them hard. We're going to tell them what to do, they're not going to tell us what to do. In the end, they get better. They develop in our program and have a chance to play professionally."

Nolan's Boots

I've always respected and admired Coach Marshall. Class act.
Pigs Gon Fly Today Brotha

ShadowHawg

Marshall is a whiner who dodges competition. Y'all ever see the video of him acting like full blown ass in summer game in Canada?

East TN HAWG

My brother-in-law was paired up with Marshall at a Pro Am.  After spending 18 holes with Marshall, he came away impressed.  Nothing but positive things to say.  Marshall seems to be legit behind the scenes. 

azhog10

Quote from: ShadowHawg on October 17, 2017, 07:17:59 pm
Marshall is a whiner who dodges competition. Y'all ever see the video of him acting like full blown ass in summer game in Canada?
To be fair, we've all had our moments.

mhuff

Quote from: azhog10 on October 18, 2017, 05:04:20 pm
To be fair, we've all had our moments.

If someone pushes the right buttons , all of us can have our heads to start spinning

texas tush hog

Have you ever met him?

sickboy

Quote from: texas tush hog on October 18, 2017, 06:22:23 pm
Have you ever met him?

No. But this is a place of judgement. Foul, acerbic, stabby like the tip of a switchblade judgement. Don't be using reason up in here.

LJHOG

WSU has attained all of its success without a single five-star recruit.
what success it that??

nwahogfan1

Did he pee in your Cheerios?   The only thing Marshall has done wrong in his Coaching days is to turn down the Arkansas job  He is a Winner and Wins without 5 star one and done kids who are ruining the sport.

nwahogfan1

Quote from: LJHOG on October 19, 2017, 10:24:11 am
what success it that??
Let me see.  He wins at a very high percentage of his games in conference. He also has won several conference championships in a very competitive league.  He won something like 30 games in a row and made it to the elite 8 recently  and has kept  his team in the top 2 or 3 in his conference for many years which keeps them in front of the nations media which is huge for a mid major and recruiting.     He is getting raises every year and has to turn down jobs from bigger conference schools almost yearly.  Apparently those schools who are chasing him with big checks think he is a good coach and has won something. 

RazorPiggie

Quote from: LJHOG on October 19, 2017, 10:24:11 am
what success it that??

Way more than us over the last 10 years.

azhog10

Quote from: mhuff on October 18, 2017, 05:59:27 pm
If someone pushes the right buttons , all of us can have our heads to start spinning
I know I have, and it's always officials that get me going more than any.....I think in my years as a high school coach I've been tossed once, and one game was T'd up 2 minutes into the game......so some nights you just don't feel like taking much.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: texas tush hog on October 18, 2017, 06:22:23 pm
Have you ever met him?

I guess you have met every coach in the nation? If not, then don't be criticizing them.

He's a whiner. Whined about his seeding even though the few decent teams they played beat them.

Whined about the big boys won't schedule them, but he left out he wants home and home and most big programs aren't doing that. He could play them at neutral courts but you rarely seen them do that. I think they did that with a bad OU team last season and lost.

They will be stepping up in competition this season though. It will be interesting to see how they fare in the AAC as opposed the Sunbelt of the Midwest, Missouri Valley.

mhuff

Quote from: azhog10 on October 19, 2017, 05:27:30 pm
I know I have, and it's always officials that get me going more than any.....I think in my years as a high school coach I've been tossed once, and one game was T'd up 2 minutes into the game......so some nights you just don't feel like taking much.

I have walked on the court trying to get a technical and they wouldn't blow the whistle. Where's a good ref when you need one? LOL

hogwood

Quote from: ShadowHawg on October 21, 2017, 02:53:15 pm
I guess you have met every coach in the nation? If not, then don't be criticizing them.

He's a whiner. Whined about his seeding even though the few decent teams they played beat them.

Whined about the big boys won't schedule them, but he left out he wants home and home and most big programs aren't doing that. He could play them at neutral courts but you rarely seen them do that. I think they did that with a bad OU team last season and lost.

They will be stepping up in competition this season though. It will be interesting to see how they fare in the AAC as opposed the Sunbelt of the Midwest, Missouri Valley.

Did they move to the AAC? Didn't realize that!

Hoggish1

He is the kind of coach the sport needs more of.  I'm waiting patiently for Cal to go down in flames.  It would be so good for the sport...

mhuff

Quote from: Hoggish1 on October 25, 2017, 05:27:34 pm
He is the kind of coach the sport needs more of.  I'm waiting patiently for Cal to go down in flames.  It would be so good for the sport...