Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Missouri State's Thompson Hired as New Assistant Coach

Started by ricepig, June 16, 2017, 06:49:44 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

PigDaddyKane

that should add a little more fuel to the Mizzou State series!
The only person on Hogville without an inside source for Razorback news!

JonClaudeVanHam

I like it a lot, considering how impressed I was with MSU's approach.
Quote from: rhames on March 28, 2024, 10:56:37 amMusselman wants the UofA Transit Director Job.

litmachog

Oh to add to the potential punch of the Hog/Mizzou State budding rivalry. 

gdumont

ricepig

SPAL

dotnet

Aaron Fitt compared it to the vitello hire. If it's even close to that good then it'll be a grand slam

Maddhog

"He hits from both sides of the plate.  He's amphibious."

rljjr

Read the story and am enthused. Anyone else have vignettes about our new assistant coach?

factchecker

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

factchecker

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

swineology

zane

I was certainly impressed with MSU's approach at the plate. Very nice hire!
RIP LSUfan

LRHawg

Dr. Starcs

PigWig

HogFoo

Wow. That's awesome.  Talk about a punch to the gonads of Mostate!  Haha.  That ought to add to the rivalry just a tad bit!  Hopefully though, we never allow our future recruits to yap at the ump the way MoSt batters did every time they struck out!  I also bet that that was an interesting meeting this guy  had with the dbag coach as he exited the building. He probably just text their coach that he was leaving. Haha.   
Basketball is back, baseball always, football was a dumpster fire once again..... but as the phoenix rose from the ashes, BMF Petrino has risen again!!! Lots to look forward to.  <br /><br />As the rain falls, I realize, that some where out there, some one, is wearing a mask while they shower............

BroyledNutts

onebadrubi

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on June 17, 2017, 06:39:22 am
Tell me one coaching hire done that you did see coming when it comes to hiring assistants.

He's probably referring to the irony of it, which I see his point. 

To be honest, some hires are seen far out in advance.

JonClaudeVanHam

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on June 17, 2017, 06:39:22 am
Tell me one coaching hire done that you did see coming when it comes to hiring assistants.

I thought everyone saw Wes Johnson coming.
Quote from: rhames on March 28, 2024, 10:56:37 amMusselman wants the UofA Transit Director Job.

ThisTeetsTaken

Missouri State usually has way too much talent on their team for who they are.  If this guy is responsible for recruiting those guys and coaching them at the plate then this is a great hire.
***"He must increase, but I must decrease"***

311Hog

Dr. Starcs

WhenPigsFly

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on June 16, 2017, 09:43:53 pm
Was he their 3rd base coach?

Hope I'm wrong, but I think he was.  Mouthed at our fans during the Monday night game of regionals.

Dr. Starcs

Quote from: WhenPigsFly on June 17, 2017, 11:57:09 am
Hope I'm wrong, but I think he was.  Mouthed at our fans during the Monday night game of regionals.

That's why I was asking. Guy was a punk. Kinda hoping it's not the same guy. You talk about pace of play. That guy gave about 30 signs after every pitch, had several in-bat conferences and was over the top animated imo.

SPAL

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on June 17, 2017, 12:18:33 pm
That's why I was asking. Guy was a punk. Kinda hoping it's not the same guy. You talk about pace of play. That guy gave about 30 signs after every pitch, had several in-bat conferences and was over the top animated imo.

Assistant coaches are a reflection on the head coach. Dvh won't allow or stand for that.

TikiHog

Kevin

Love  the hire. He did a lot of communicating to their players while they were at bat

Yes, he will have to get thicker skin, cause talking back to fans in this league, will make his life miserable
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

WhenPigsFly

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on June 17, 2017, 12:44:14 pm
Assistant coaches are a reflection on the head coach. Dvh won't allow or stand for that.

Totally agree.  There is no doubt that being mouthy to fans and umps is part of the culture of that program, not limited to just one player or coach.

ThisTeetsTaken

I wonder if DVH allows him to pull hitters out of the box and talk to them like he did at MO St.
***"He must increase, but I must decrease"***

dotnet

Quote from: ThisTeetsTaken on June 17, 2017, 02:38:07 pm
I wonder if DVH allows him to pull hitters out of the box and talk to them like he did at MO St.

Since dvh used to do that all the time as 3rd base coach, I'm going to guess yes

TebowHater

I hope the media members ask DVH at his next PC about the incident on Monday night of the regional. I don't think DVH would hire him unless there was at least a semi-acceptable explanation

hawgcraZ

Seebs

Got one right. very pleased .

Quote from: Seebs on June 10, 2017, 02:18:56 pm
With all of the talent at Missouri State - well, just saying.
To add a "sig line" or "signature line": Go to your "profile" then go to "modify profile" then scroll down to where it says "Signature" and type in what you want it to say and then click on "change profile". That's it, you're done. Your sig line will only show up on your first post on each page.

ricepig

Quote from: TebowHater on June 17, 2017, 02:48:58 pm
I hope the media members ask DVH at his next PC about the incident on Monday night of the regional. I don't think DVH would hire him unless there was at least a semi-acceptable explanation

He's our SOB now, so it's all good.

hoglady

Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

JHicks3636

I trust DVH to make a good hire. He's done pretty well up to now. I'm sure he is as satisfied with Thompson's personality and demeanor as he is with his baseball acumen.

tophawg19

hell i mouth off and flip the bird to some of out so called fans
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

Kevin

I mentioned him, as soon as vitello was gone. 

I love the hire, now let's go get'em
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Amityvillehogger

I'd be willing to bet that there was a ton of quality applicants. If DVH thinks this guy is the best of them for UofA baseball after the season we just had...

He must be a stud.

Let's go kick some butt.
Member # 2987.
Registered - 02-23-2005

theFlyingHog

I saw the thread title and kinda hoped we got that pork butt guy, just for laughs. Then I remembered we don't need a pitching coach.

pigture perfect

Great hire! Love it. Just waiting 9 months for opening day sux even more now.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

BigBrandonAllenFan

Great hire.  Could not have made a better one coast to coast.  Thompson will eventually be a head coach.

BigBrandonAllenFan

Quote from: Kevin on June 17, 2017, 05:40:02 pm
I mentioned him, as soon as vitello was gone. 

I love the hire, now let's go get'em

Yep. Good call.

BigBrandonAllenFan

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on June 17, 2017, 12:18:33 pm

Whatever he has been doing has worked well.  They win a lot.

BigBrandonAllenFan

Quote from: BroyledNutts on June 17, 2017, 03:02:12 am
Did not see that one coming ...

I'm betting he got a nice raise. Money talks...

Add that to an SEC opportunity. I'm sure Thompson is excited as we are.

MSUDuo

Quote from: BigBrandonAllenFan on June 18, 2017, 09:52:44 am
I'm betting he got a nice raise. Money talks...

Add that to an SEC opportunity. I'm sure Thompson is excited as we are.

Would guess it was easily tripled, if not more.

Wouldn't surprise me to see Thompson as a head coach within 5 years. Many thought he would succeed Guttin

dotnet

Quote from: MSUDuo on June 18, 2017, 11:24:03 am
Would guess it was easily tripled, if not more.

Wouldn't surprise me to see Thompson as a head coach within 5 years. Many thought he would succeed Guttin

any thoughts on him as a fan of his employer for the last three years?

BigBrandonAllenFan

Quote from: MSUDuo on June 18, 2017, 11:24:03 am
Many thought he would succeed Guttin

That could be another 35 years if he don't croak.  :-\