Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Coach Blair making Aggie Women Soar (Article) Talks about Arkansas dive

Started by The_Bionic_Pig, March 01, 2006, 04:53:57 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

The_Bionic_Pig

█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

Dwight_K_Shrute

Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

hoggystyle78

Bev Lewis made a big mistake when she let Blair go. I don't blame him for leaving the Uof A acted like they weren't interested in keeping him and A&M offered more money. Congratulations on a good season coach Blair, too bad we couldn't have kept you as our BB coach. God knows we need SOMEONE with a brain coaching our women BB players.

Jim Harris

This is why Chancellor White should not be allowed to be a part of athletic department decisions, and why Bev Rouse Lewis shouldn't be allowed to be part of women's athletic department decisions. Can you imagine White giving Lewis the reins of the men's program if Frank was gone? Apparently that was White's dream, before he was neutered by Jim Lindsey a couple of years back.

I love the part where is says Arkansas showed it wasn't serious about having a nationally prominent women's basketball program.

"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

The_Bionic_Pig

Crazy Eyes: "I watch the stock market channel all the time - I just watch because I suspect that anchor man of being an evil leprechaun... he can bull scit everybody else, but he ain't fooling me."

Longfellow Deeds: What are you in for?

Crazy Eyes: Eeh, I'm doin' an overnighter for bitin' the mailman.
[waves his hand]
Crazy Eyes: He was tryin' to cast some spell on me like a wizard or somethin'.

Longfellow Deeds: You sure about that?

Crazy Eyes: On second thought maybe he was just wavin'.
[waves hand then sees Chuck and Cecil]
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

Tusks

sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

TorsinAHog

Made me sick to my stomach to think back to the days when we actually had a women's Bball team.  What a colossal screw up Bev Lewis made by letting him go.  I dont see how she isn't held responsible?

To borrow from Mark Twain, there are three kinds of lies:
lies, darned lies, and the UA Athletic Department.

http://foas.us/images/sigs/hamilton.jpg

Boarcephus

Quote from: nutted on March 01, 2006, 05:57:12 pm
Did it.

Applaudes coming your way.  If you get a response, and I doubt you will, please post it.   For all who hate Jim Lindsey,  he did neuter White and White hasn't been the same since.
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

sowmonella

They will probably be real excited to get any e-mails. Bev has destroyed the women's athletics department.
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

Big Papa Satan

HogDodging

I just sent this to Mizz Lewis:

Bev Lewis,

Since you saw fit to not retain Gary Blair as head coach, I thought you'd be interested in seeing what his new school thinks of him, and the success he is having.  I have provided the link.  I have also pasted the story on here in case you don't have time to go to the page.

(the link and the story follow)

Cajun Hog

Quote from: drakehog on March 01, 2006, 05:08:42 pm
This is why Chancellor White should not be allowed to be a part of athletic department decisions, and why Bev Rouse Lewis shouldn't be allowed to be part of women's athletic department decisions. Can you imagine White giving Lewis the reins of the men's program if Frank was gone? Apparently that was White's dream, before he was neutered by Jim Lindsey a couple of years back.

I love the part where is says Arkansas showed it wasn't serious about having a nationally prominent women's basketball program.

Thank God, he won't get his way. Let's bring Gary back as Womens AD and Coach.

hogman64

Susie Gardner may be a good coach  who knows?  I doubt she is but I dont think she will ever recruit SEC caliber players so we will never know how she would do with that type talent...At any rate she needs to be fired immediatly after the Ole Miss game.......

Bill_Smith

Quote from: hogman64 on March 01, 2006, 10:25:27 pm
Susie Gardner may be a good coach  who knows?  I doubt she is but I dont think she will ever recruit SEC caliber players so we will never know how she would do with that type talent...At any rate she needs to be fired immediatly after the Ole Miss game.......

WBCA high school all-America honorable mentions aren't good enough for the SEC?  That's top 40 in the country -- they pick 20 on the AA team and only 20 on the HM team.
"Trust the people" -- Winston Churchill

hogman64

History had taught us dont count on a recruit until he/she is on campus and producing at an SEC level.. next year will be her 4th year and I havent seen it yet............I know you like her and always defend her and I hope you are right but she isnt the least bit impressive in any way that I have seen so far, from personality to coaching ability............

Bill_Smith

Without a doubt, recruits get way to much hype; but you cannot argue with picking up a signee like Tanisha Smith.  To refresh, the only other WBCA HS all-Americans we've signed in 30 years were Ruby Vaden (on the AA team) and Shameka Christon (also HM).  FYI-this is the Nike game for women's prep players.

hogman64

Quote from: Bill_Smith on March 01, 2006, 11:16:08 pm
Without a doubt, recruits get way to much hype; but you cannot argue with picking up a signee like Tanisha Smith.  To refresh, the only other WBCA HS all-Americans we've signed in 30 years were Ruby Vaden (on the AA team) and Shameka Christon (also HM).  FYI-this is the Nike game for women's prep players.

Lets hope she is another Shameka or close.........She was SEC caliber and more.. awesome player in my opinion........

Bill_Smith

Quote from: hogman64 on March 01, 2006, 11:18:32 pm
Quote from: Bill_Smith on March 01, 2006, 11:16:08 pm

Lets hope she is another Shameka or close.........She was SEC caliber and more.. awesome player in my opinion........

We do too.

And don't forget, Shameka went from good to the leading scorer in the SEC, the SEC Player of the Year and a 20+ ppg scorer as a senior.

hogman64

are you connected to the womens program in some way?  maybe everyone knows that but me, sorry if that is a stupid question.........

heathshogs

I forget Bill's Title but I believe he is Associat Athletic Director/SID(?). Anyway, he is definitely involved in the program at a high level so he knows his stuff. I'm sure he'll tell you his actual title when he reads this thread again.

Oh forget the specualtion, I jsut went and found his bio
http://www.ladybacks.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=11830&SPID=693&DB_OEM_ID=2300&ATCLID=68487
A ticket is not permission to be entertained. It's a license to go to work.--Hognoxious

RedSatinHog

It's sad that UA no longer has a viable women's hoops program.  That particular sport is picking up a lot of momentum around the country, and it will be a huge money-maker before you know it. 

You truly are missing something special by not watching some of the women's teams around the country.  This year's UNC team is one of the most athletic teams you could hope to see, and it was a real delight to see LSU's coach Pokey Chapman blow off Kim Mulkey-Robertson (head coach of defending NC Baylor) after their game in Baton Rouge earlier this season.  That stuff is getting to be common among coaches who don't like each other, and the girls on the floor really go at each other.

For me, it is always fun to watch teams coached by Rene Portland (Penn State) and Deb Patterson (Kansas State).  The reason is because they are so fundamentally sound, well-disciplined, and well-coached.
Pts/Game: 122nd
Rebounds/Game: 208th
Assists/Game:  240th
FG%:  173rd

hogman64

Quote from: heathshogs on March 02, 2006, 12:42:50 am
I forget Bill's Title but I believe he is Associat Athletic Director/SID(?). Anyway, he is definitely involved in the program at a high level so he knows his stuff. I'm sure he'll tell you his actual title when he reads this thread again.

Oh forget the specualtion, I jsut went and found his bio
http://www.ladybacks.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=11830&SPID=693&DB_OEM_ID=2300&ATCLID=68487

thanks

MarieHogFan

First, who on here really thinks that taking an additional $250,000 out of the men's athletic program to give to a women's basketball coach is a good idea?  That's what would've had to happen to keep Coach Blair.  That extra quarter million has to come from somewhere and the women's athletic department doesn't have it.

Second, how many on here contribute money to the women's athletic department so they can have more funds to hire bigger-name coaches that cost more money?

Third, how many here have gone to a single women's game this year?

EastexHawg

The question here is not whether Gary Blair is in Pat Summit's class as a head coach.  If the U of A had replaced Blair with Summit, or even Kim Mulkey, no one would be complaining. 

The question is this...is Susie Gardner in Gary Blair's class?  Weigh Gardner in one hand, and Gary Blair in the other...and see which one you think is the better and more accomplished head coach.  If that comparison is not laughable to you immediately, I don't know what to tell you. 

I guess it means you are satisfied with the current situation with Ladyback basketball.

Had Gary Blair taken the Ladyback program as far as he could take it?  I don't know.  No one will ever know for sure.  If so, it was still a lot better than what we have now.  I don't see any Final Fours on the horizon for Coach Gardner and her program.

And...what evidence do we have that Gardner hasn't taken the program as far as she can take it?  If we're going to justify Blair's dismissal by using that standard, shouldn't it also be applied to the current staff?

If the administration is not willing to do...or pay...what it takes to make the difference between a winning (even a Final Four) program and what we have now...well, I'd say they are getting what they paid for.

psycHOGlogist

I don't think Gary would have demanded the full amount of the TAMU offer. Bev didn't meaningfully counter because she did not want to keep him. She didn't like his attention-grabbing persona, and some fans with high priced seats did not like the way he talked to the players during the game.

I wonder if her choice of Gardner was influenced by her decision not to have an attention grabbing coach. That would certainly affect your thinking about a coach like Mulkey.

What a shame.

mikeirwin

Quote from: MarieHogFan on March 02, 2006, 09:44:04 am
First, who on here really thinks that taking an additional $250,000 out of the men's athletic program to give to a women's basketball coach is a good idea?  That's what would've had to happen to keep Coach Blair.  That extra quarter million has to come from somewhere and the women's athletic department doesn't have it.

Second, how many on here contribute money to the women's athletic department so they can have more funds to hire bigger-name coaches that cost more money?

At last somebody who has a grasp of the situation.

psycHOGlogist

I don't live in FYV anymore, but i did go see them play in Columbia, SC.

I can completely understand why attendance was bad -- and it's hard to blame the fans for putting a poor product on the floor.

Attendance was MUCH higher when GB was coach, fwiw.

hogman64

Quote from: mikeirwin on March 02, 2006, 02:37:23 pm

At last somebody who has a grasp of the situation.

Who is to say we couldnt pay $50,000 less and get a better coach than SG,, this isnt entirely a  more money issue.. crap she isnt worth what she is getting and I think you could throw a dart and get a better recruiter..............Fire Susie Gardner.. the next one cant be worse., even at the same money or less...........

tophawg19

the razorback foundation should help out . there is no reason to doubt that the ladybacks could be a moneymaker . the ladies tend to play a very exciting emotional game . susie isn't capable of getting it done at any aspect of the game . we are getting beat like a base drum and she has no clue about what to do . i don't remember a team that had this many bad losses .
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

Jim Harris

Well, let's see. The Razorback Foundation is taking about $200,000 a year just to pay all of Frank's expenses associated with his membership to Augusta. I can start listing a few other wastes here and there. But yes, the Foundation also has debt service to pay on all the construction. The Lady Backs bring in hardly a dime outside of basketball.
So, that being the case, rather than be losers in basketball, just drop basketball and take up bowling like at ASU. Keep the number of women's sports the same. Get about the same amount of attention as a bottom-of-the-barrel basketball program is going to get.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

Jim Harris

Quote from: Bill_Smith on March 01, 2006, 11:02:14 pm
Quote from: hogman64 on March 01, 2006, 10:25:27 pm

WBCA high school all-America honorable mentions aren't good enough for the SEC?  That's top 40 in the country -- they pick 20 on the AA team and only 20 on the HM team.

Nothing like bringing them in after three seasons.

MarieHogFan

Quote from: ImHogginIt on March 02, 2006, 10:03:42 am

When they show me they are serious about being big time I'll start donating to their foundation. I went to games when Blair was there. I will again when they decide to get a coach that can get things done. If we had a team worth a crap I would have taken off work and come up from Dallas to go to this tournament in LR

Did you quit donating to the men's athletic program and stop going to football games after the '04 season?  How about the '05 season?

jkcrunch

I can not believe we can not get a local high school coach to do as well as Gardner, how Blue at farmington high he has at least won something.   And if you believe we can recruit male athlete here then the same must be said for female.  this lady does not know squat

coolhog

Susie did have Shameka her first year, and she still couldnt get to the big dance.
Bev said Susie would take us to the next level, but she has only taken us down
several Levels.  HOw could you let an A.D.'s emotions towards one of there coaches
come into your hiring decision. Gary Blair had a good track record, and just because
Bev didnt like him, she let him go. She wasnt looking out for the program or her fans,but
only for her self. White shouldnt have let that happen. The womens basketball program
is a joke. 

RedSatinHog

Ya'll should have seen the Texas A&M Aggie report on FoxSports this morning.  I watched it, and I could not believe how many times the host and Coach Blair BOTH referred to what he accomplished at Arkansas.

They're proud to have him.  Too bad we weren't proud enough to try and keep him.

hogman64

Fire Susie Gardner or drop women's basketball.....Stop the embarrasment now.........

arraz

The question here is not whether Gary Blair is in Pat Summit's class as a head coach.  If the U of A had replaced Blair with Summit, or even Kim Mulkey, no one would be complaining.

The question is this...is Susie Gardner in Gary Blair's class?  Weigh Gardner in one hand, and Gary Blair in the other...and see which one you think is the better and more accomplished head coach.  If that comparison is not laughable to you immediately, I don't know what to tell you.

I guess it means you are satisfied with the current situation with Ladyback basketball.

Had Gary Blair taken the Ladyback program as far as he could take it?  I don't know.  No one will ever know for sure.  If so, it was still a lot better than what we have now.  I don't see any Final Fours on the horizon for Coach Gardner and her program.

And...what evidence do we have that Gardner hasn't taken the program as far as she can take it?  If we're going to justify Blair's dismissal by using that standard, shouldn't it also be applied to the current staff?

If the administration is not willing to do...or pay...what it takes to make the difference between a winning (even a Final Four) program and what we have now...well, I'd say they are getting what they paid for.\

At last somebody who has a grasp of the situation

RedSatinHog

The thing is, there are actually alot of quality assistants out there in the women's game who should be considered for jobs like ours.

Michelle Marciniak.

Stephanie White.

Heck, if we insisted upon getting a proven coach, try and hire Dawn Staley (currently at Temple).

Bubba_Hog

Blair was gotten rid of because of some very questionable behavior and attitudes.  I went to high school with India Lewis and her younger sister who was recruited by everyone including blair and also good friends with myself.  India told her not to go to arkansas because Blair was sexist and a jerk, and would say some terrible things to the girls.  Blair's behavior was not acceptable for a womens coach, that is why he was shown the door.
Hey buddy, why don't you go grab daddy a cold one outta the fridge!

hogman64

All that being said and even subscribing to the theory that GB should have been let walk out the door the question still remains.................Why unless someone is holding a high powered gun to your head and saying , " Hire SG or I pull the trigger",  would you hire such an inept coach?

Hot Springs Hogs

Let's be honest here.  Letting Blair walk away was not like letting John Wooden walk away.  Before we get carried away, let's remember that outside of the 1998 Final Four year (which was a fluke), the Lady Razorbacks never got past the second round of the NCAA Tournament.  They never finished higher than fourth in the SEC, never advanced to the finals of the SEC Tournament and were 22 games under .500 in SEC play under Blair.

Blair is having a good season at Texas A&M, but let's see how he does over the long run.  Too many times here, he often talked about winning seven games in SEC play.  Let's hope he's not singing that same tune at College Station.  Mediocrity will get you swallowed alive in the SEC and Big 12.

As stated previously, the big question is why did Bev Lewis hire Susie Gardner, who had never won an NCAA Tournament game at Austin Peay to coach in college basketball's high-rent district.  So far, that's been one decision that has backfired big time.

hogman64

What is amazing is that people that rarely if ever talk about Ladyback basketball are talking about the coach being a joke.  People  with whom I talk hog sports will just throw out the statement....."Man that womens coach is the one that needs to go".........That loss in the SECT in NLR  got peoples attention........I think when people heard that score , if they already knew to  what general shape the program had fallen under SG, they just automatically thought she was fired and the U of A wouldnt put up with that........ but wrong they were......