Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

If You Could Fire Any College Coach Tomorrow

Started by Shizzle, February 26, 2006, 01:44:05 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

pseudorabies

Do you still consider Frank Broyles a coach?  If so, he has my vote for being fired.

Razorgirl

Bruce Pearl-anyone that sweats that bad shouldn't be in a position to be on television. My son watched a game that Tennessee played and asked if they throw gatorade on him like they do in football games.

HawgWyld

Quote from: billself4prez on February 27, 2006, 08:53:00 am
Gary Blair was and still is one of the best coaches we have had up on the hill.  Bev Lewis is the one that should be fired.  Gary told me that he would have stayed at the University for $200,000 less dollars than he is making at A & M.

Gary Blair was fantastic. Getting rid of him and replacing him with that Gardner person was simply idiotic. When I lived in Northwest Arkansas, I'd take my son to see the Ladybacks quite a bit. That was great under Blair, but became infuriating when Gardner took over. Blair was skilled at putting together some of the most competitive women's basketball teams to be found and getting people interested in the sport. Gardner ruined every bit of that.

By the way, I hear Blair's doing pretty well at A&M, but I don't know for sure -- haven't kept up with women's basketball since the Ladybacks became terrible.

DirkPiggler

No offense, but I'd just as soon not see any Razorback Foundation money used to attract a big name women's coach.  The women's athletic department is already siphoning funds out of men's athletics profits as it is, and would continue to do so even if we had a final four contender year in and year out.  Quite frankly there's just not enough interest in women's sports.   While I can understand wanting Gardner out for her abysmal record, she should be replaced with an up-and-comer who would work relatively cheaply for the chance to be in the SEC.

Don't take this to mean that I don't think we should have women's sports.  Just because I have no interest in them doesn't mean that a few others don't care, or that women shouldn't have opportunities to participate in athletics.  I just want to see my foundation donations used to support the programs that most of us care about.  Take the money it would take to attract a better women's BB coach and use it to supplement McDonnell or Van Horn's salary, or God forbid, hire a better football coach.  If we happen to get that rising star who elevates the Lady Backs to the next level then we can start to get her (his?) pay commensurate with the leaders in that field.
"They've forced my hand on that one."  -  Houston Nutt, November 2005 regarding his future hiring of Gus Mal-a-zahn

HawgWyld

Quote from: DirkPiggler on February 27, 2006, 09:46:45 am
If we happen to get that rising star who elevates the Lady Backs to the next level then we can start to get her (his?) pay commensurate with the leaders in that field.

We had that very coach and then ran him off in favor of Gardner. I doubt the women's basketball program managed to even break even under Blair, but who's to say that wouldn't have happened one day if they had kept winning and hosting tournaments at Bud Walton? In this day and age when you've got to start all kinds of sports for women to keep out of trouble with the feds, it would have been very nice to see the Ladybacks evolve into a program that could pay the bills.

And, to be fair, track doesn't make a dime for the college, and the same is true of baseball (unless things have changed in the past few years). Still, I'd argue both of those sports deserve some Foundation cash as they are great for the image of the college, and I'd suggest the same is true of women's basketball.

tophawg19

you have only to look at the tenn. ladies program to see what is possible for the ladybacks . many of the ladyback fans are donors as well so the money should be used there as well . they weren't that far off from being profitable under blair . but he couldn't win in big games . kim mulchy robinson is the coach we need whatever the cost . she has a good record against both tenn. and georgia . and that as the coach of baylor .
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

WichitaStateRazorback