Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Greatest College Hoops Player of All-Time

Started by razorson, February 22, 2006, 04:55:14 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

razorson

My vote goes to Pistol Pete. 44.5 PG. Gr eastest scorer,ballhandler,showman there has been so far.Chuckie B. gave him props during the NBA All-Star pregame when they adding to the list of the greatest NBA players calling him the great Pete Maravich and saying that he was honored to be in the presence of his two sons when they honored the top 50 players a few years back. I thought that was pretty cool of Barkley.

wishyjoshy

fu-man-soo

LSUFan

HOGLIGULA

February 22, 2006, 06:15:04 pm #5 Last Edit: February 22, 2006, 06:18:39 pm by coolhandluke31
maybe oscar robertson, wilt, bill russell, or perhaps if things continue reddick or morrison
Look in the heat of conversation I may have said things I don't believe to be true. "So you lied." Are you slow, the alleged lie you might have heard me saying allegedly moments ago that is a parasite that lives in my neck.

wishyjoshy

94 Hawg

Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for.
~ Will Rogers

Dwight_K_Shrute

Anybody got the link to SR handy?  I'm at work and need something to listen to.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

wishyjoshy

I'm sorry, but honestly and truly, how can it be any one other than Pete Maravich?

HOGLIGULA

Quote from: JFen on February 22, 2006, 06:23:56 pm
I'm sorry, but honestly and truly, how can it be any one other than Pete Maravich?

The big O was the closest to pete on the scale, just think of their average if there had been a three point line
Look in the heat of conversation I may have said things I don't believe to be true. "So you lied." Are you slow, the alleged lie you might have heard me saying allegedly moments ago that is a parasite that lives in my neck.

wishyjoshy

It would have been ridiculous. 
The Pistol is the greatest movie ever. 
I was raised on that and Pistol Pete's Homework Basketball. 

HOGLIGULA

pete was a true shooter, but more importantly could pass the ball like nobody's business

The real Hogules

Quote from: coolhandluke31 on February 22, 2006, 06:27:21 pm
Quote from: JFen on February 22, 2006, 06:23:56 pm

The big O was the closest to pete on the scale, just think of their average if there had been a three point line

Oliver Miller????

He-he-he..........really, I know (O.R.)
Bobby's back and he ain't here to paint!

SiriusHog™

guys.. youre missing the obvious answer to this question...

CANNON WHITBY!

just kidding.. in all seriousness, in my 27 years, my top 5 in no particular order would be:

Christian Laettner
Grant Hill
Shaq
Jamal Mashburn
Corliss Williamson

just keep in mind that i grew up watching in the late 80's-present.. dont remember much previous to that

dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya

Manute Bol.  The court he played on in college was outside.  He had to weather the elements, and still dominated. 
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

R.I.P. notshavintilnuttgo 12/11/07

madhawg2020

12under

as bad as it hurts me to say, alot of people say Bill Walton

Richard_white

Cherokee Parks from Duke man he could hit some free-throws

HOGLIGULA

Quote from: 12under on February 22, 2006, 06:57:50 pm

not in the same league as pete or Big O

12under

Quote from: coolhandluke31 on February 22, 2006, 07:01:49 pm

i dont know how many championships they won, but you cant argue with the success at ucla.  and he is no question at least in the same league

wrightobe

Ball handling skills, shooting skills, team leader, and the main one who started the Boston Celtic legacy, Bob Cousy.  He could have even played for the Harlem Globetrotters, even thought he was white, with his ball handing and dribbling skills.  He was a great, great, point guard.

HOGLIGULA

Quote from: 12under on February 22, 2006, 07:03:54 pm
Quote from: coolhandluke31 on February 22, 2006, 07:01:49 pm

i dont know how many championships they won, but you cant argue with the success at ucla.  and he is no question at least in the same league

the championships are from coaching AKA John Wooden.  Walton 20. ppg Big O 33.8, Pete 44.2

Kodiak

Quote from: WarRazorbacks on February 22, 2006, 06:45:04 pm
just keep in mind that i grew up watching in the late 80's-present.. dont remember much previous to that
As with all questions like this one, everyones perspective only runs with your own life experience's.
Due to the lack of interest, the remainder of this day has been cancelled.
K.I.S.S.  Keep It Simple Stupid!

Adam Stokes

madhawg2020

What great college player was the biggest flop in the NBA?

HOGLIGULA

Quote from: madhawg2020 on February 22, 2006, 07:28:07 pm

Plenty but the truly great players found their way into the NBA and most had amazing careers.

sowmonella

Bill Walton. The Pistol was a very me first type of player at LSU.
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

HOGLIGULA

Quote from: sowmonella on February 22, 2006, 07:32:24 pm
Bill Walton. The Pistol was a very me first type of player at LSU.

BIG O the ultimate passer and scorer along with Pete, but have you ever seen video or actual games of Pete passing the ball incredible

EastMemphisHog

The numbers speak for themselves. Has to be Maravich. The game has changed so much though, we will never see an average like that again.

SiriusHog™

Quote from: madhawg2020 on February 22, 2006, 07:28:07 pm

christian laettner?.... or maybe joe smith..he was a #1 pick..

Adam Stokes

Who was the dude picked after Olajajuan (spelling) but before MJ?

HOGLIGULA

Quote from: cshivley1 on February 22, 2006, 07:35:50 pm
The numbers speak for themselves. Has to be Maravich. The game has changed some much though, we will never see an average like that again.

closest things since, bird, thompson, reddick and morrison but just not on the same level as the Pistol

SiriusHog™

Quote from: ajs15razorman on February 22, 2006, 07:37:31 pm
  Who was the dude picked after Olajajuan (spelling) but before MJ?

sam bowie, picked by the portland jail blazers... great move... lol

EastMemphisHog

For the biggest flop....
In recent times I would say Jay (Jason) Williams of Duke. He got hurt, but he hasn't amounted to a whole lot. I never thought he'd be that big of a player in the NBA.  Also Mateen Cleeves(Spelling??) of Michigan State. I'm only 21, so these are all I can think of.  Hate to bring it up, by one magazine, I think Street and Smith maybe, gives out a Scotty Thurman Award every year. It goes to the player that left college before they were ready.  I absolutely loved Scotty, and that shot in the Championship game will never leave me.

wishyjoshy

I wish we could pull game film on Pistol.  People's mouths would be on the floor.  ESPN Classic did a thing on him and I caught it one day.  Truly unbelievable.  I don't know that we will ever see anything like it every again.

John Futrall

Matt Jones........no, but seriously..Lew Alcindor

HOGLIGULA

Quote from: JFen on February 22, 2006, 07:48:26 pm
I wish we could pull game film on Pistol.  People's mouths would be on the floor.  ESPN Classic did a thing on him and I caught it one day.  Truly unbelievable.  I don't know that we will ever see anything like it every again.

just unbelievable the things that he could do with the ball and just the ability and heart with which he played not known in today's game

hogdan

I would have to say ,to me its aeasy pick .PISTOL all the way ,iff there had been a three point shoot back then .Pistol would have averaged some where around 60 per game think about it easy choice.HOGDAN OUT>GO HOGS>

Niels Boar

Love Pistol Pete as a showman, but he wasn't in the same class as Walton as an NCAA player in terms of team goals.  Didn't LSU have a losing record during some of Pete's seasons?  Check out Walton's resume.

The Sporting News College Player of the Year (1972-74)

Naismith Award winner (1972-74)

The Sporting News All-America first team (1972-74)

NCAA Division I Tournament Most Outstanding Player (1972-73)

Member of NCAA Division I championship teams (1972-73)

Holds NCAA tournament career record for highest field goal percentage (minimum of 60 made)68.6 percent, 109 of 159 (1972-74)

Holds NCAA tournament single-season record of highest field-goal percentage (minimum of 40 made)76.3 percent, 45-of-59 (1973)

Averaged 20.3 points and 15.7 rebounds per game

Member of UCLA team with record 88 straight wins

Was the foundation of the only teams to record back-to-back 30-0 seasons

Led UCLA to 86-4 record during his three years

Scored 44 points on 21-of-22 shooting in 1973 NCAA CG win over Memphis State!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Holds UCLA record for rebounds in a season (506 for a 16.9 average) and twice had 27, one shy of that record

The other guys I would put in the discussion are Jerry West, Lew Alcindor, Oscar Robertson, Larry Bird, and David Thompson. 

secthumper

"It is only through adversity that we can test the strength of our soul."<br /><br />"What we've got here is failure to communicate." Strother Martin  Cool Hand Luke<br /><br />Moral courage is the most valuable and usually the most absent characteristic of men.  General George S. Patton, Jr.<br /><br />'When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."  Tuco  The Good the Bad and the Ugly<br /><br />"There ain't much of a future in dyin' boy!!"  Outlaw Josey Wales  3rd Place 2005-2006  Hogville Basketball Pickem Champion

BILLYBOB

Sean Mcurdy...if Heath would only play him!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence." ~Charles Bukowski

johnny cash

ENHOG

\\\"Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain - and most fools do.\\\"

wrightobe

Pete Maravich was a great player at LSU, and was able to get his father the head coaching position at LSU.  It has been many years since he played, but if  I remember correctly, there was not much passing to other teammates, once he had the ball.  I do not know what his field goal shooting percentage was, but I think it was around 40 per cent, and many times he would get 50 or 60 point a game, and LSU would still lose.  If he got 60 points, and averaged 40 to 45 per cent shooting, that was a lot of shots put in a 40 minute game.    He was, however, a great player, and deserves to be in the Hall of Fame.

HOGLIGULA

Quote from: Niels Boar on February 22, 2006, 08:12:06 pm
Love Pistol Pete as a showman, but he wasn't in the same class as Walton as an NCAA player in terms of team goals.  Didn't LSU have a losing record during some of Pete's seasons?  Check out Walton's resume.

The Sporting News College Player of the Year (1972-74)

Naismith Award winner (1972-74)

The Sporting News All-America first team (1972-74)

NCAA Division I Tournament Most Outstanding Player (1972-73)

Member of NCAA Division I championship teams (1972-73)

Holds NCAA tournament career record for highest field goal percentage (minimum of 60 made)68.6 percent, 109 of 159 (1972-74)

Holds NCAA tournament single-season record of highest field-goal percentage (minimum of 40 made)76.3 percent, 45-of-59 (1973)

Averaged 20.3 points and 15.7 rebounds per game

Member of UCLA team with record 88 straight wins

Was the foundation of the only teams to record back-to-back 30-0 seasons

Led UCLA to 86-4 record during his three years

Scored 44 points on 21-of-22 shooting in 1973 NCAA CG win over Memphis State!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Holds UCLA record for rebounds in a season (506 for a 16.9 average) and twice had 27, one shy of that record

The other guys I would put in the discussion are Jerry West, Lew Alcindor, Oscar Robertson, Larry Bird, and David Thompson. 

The Big O

lead nation in scoring two consecutive years
14 scoring records
in only three seasons with out the three point line no question to him or pete being the greatest.  Walton as I have said was a product of a system that Wooden created and allowed Walton to be a great player

dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya

February 22, 2006, 09:35:43 pm #46 Last Edit: February 22, 2006, 09:40:52 pm by notshavintilnuttgo
Quote from: ENHOG on February 22, 2006, 08:58:10 pm
Lynn Bias was well on his way

um...He died after he had played all of his college...so could not have been on his way.

Isn't this thread about College players, not Pro?
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

R.I.P. notshavintilnuttgo 12/11/07

wupigsuey

A Hogville member since July 24, 2004<br /><br />The average response time of a 911 call is 23 minutes, <br />the response time of a .357 is 1400 feet per second.

HOGLIGULA

Quote from: wupigsuey on February 22, 2006, 09:38:54 pm
Anybody remember Bobby Hurley???

Yeah to bad like his next likeness Jayson Williams both had careers that were ended tragically

Broken Trigger

Bill Walton comes to mind obviously first.  Pistol Pete is right there with him.  Also i have to put Lew Alcindor(one of my favs) and Elvin Hayes in that list as well.