Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The offical "Show us your racks" thread.

Started by pioneerhog, May 09, 2006, 09:24:08 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

pick_DA_EAGLES

pick_DA_EAGLES

pick_DA_EAGLES

Albert Einswine

"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

pick_DA_EAGLES

If what im hearing is true, everyone will know about this buck before long.

HuntinHog

Quote from: pick_DA_EAGLES on November 30, 2012, 09:54:23 pm
If what im hearing is true, everyone will know about this buck before long.

And by east of Des Arc you mean?

pick_DA_EAGLES

Albert Einswine

Quote from: FORTVEGAS on November 26, 2012, 11:50:43 am
Thanks for the tips i will try the dawn soap

Hey, got another tip for you that I tried myself on this last buck I killed. Went and bought an air gun that has the slender long metal nozzle on it, cut a small slit just above the nose in the short hair along one side of the snout, inserted the nozzle and shot 150 psi air in there.  Blew the skin on his head up like a basketball and separated everything. Cut straight up the bridge of the nose and peeled him like an orange. Just used a Gerber EZ skinner (kind of a modified Ulu) to do what little cutting was necessary. Had him peeled out in about 5 minutes.
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

Albert Einswine

Here are a couple of pics an old buddy back home sent me. These deer were taken off property he hunts in the St. Francis bottoms east of Forrest City.

southeasthog

Mrs Southeasthog's rack. Shot it Saturday about 8:20.

On the hoof.

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

82abn Ard

Mr. Einswein, that second pic is awesome.  It had more stickers than a Boone & Crockett porcupine!

Spikes

8 pt. 17 inside spread

[attachment deleted by admin]
You only have one life, so you better enjoy it!

Hawgon

I'll post pics later if I can figure it out, but I did something I've never done before this weekend.

I sat in my customary opening morning stand.  And when I say stand, I mean a pink Academy lawn chair tucked into a bush.  It watches a road between to pine plantations on our place and when the bucks are moving, it is the best stand on the place as that they are almost guaranteed to move through there at some point during the day.  The shots are from about 80 out to about 225 and the deer don't stop.  They walk across so you have to decide quickly if you are going to shoot and then you have to do it.  You don't get much time to check them out.

Anyway, it was just light enough to see and I saw a buck slip across at about 90 yards.  I saw a rack and even in the dim light, you could tell it was legal.  It was a nice sized deer as well.  There wasn't very much light and he was almost across before I got on him.  I said "Hut" in a loud voice and stopped him.  His head was already in the plantation when he stopped to see what made that noise.  I shot him instantly and he laid down right there.  I went out to see him and I was a little disappointed.  He was an 8 point with about a 15 inch spread.  Nice, but no monster.

I walked back to my chair, looked at my watch and it was 6:30.  I decided to sit there a bit longer as that I wasn't ready to go in just to see what else might come along.  A bit later, a buck stepped out at about 175 yards. I could definitely see a nice rack on this one and I shot him as he stepped into the plantation and he dropped right there.  Once again, I was a bit disappointed.  He was an 8 point with a nice high rack at about 16 inches on the inside.  Not a monster.  I went back to my chair and it was 6:47.

Two deer in fifteen minutes.  I have to say, I actually felt a little guilty.  I probably wouldn't have shot the second one if I had realized he wasn't bigger than that but by the same token, if I had let him go, I would have sworn he was a monster. 

Deer hunting is getting as bad as bass fishing.  Just like you feel guilty for keeping fish, I feel guilty now for shooting a buck that isn't six years old and maxed out on his antler growth.

1highhog

December 02, 2013, 06:46:09 am #315 Last Edit: December 03, 2013, 06:43:16 am by 1highhog
My son-in-law and I bought 405 acres over in Mena with a Cabin on it this past year.  We turned it into a hunting lodge and then started building inroads throughout the property and erecting stands.  We didn't quite have it ready for this years hunt, but its good enough, but anyway, I was unable to go over there this weekend and spent time around my house.  I see deer in my yard everyday, as do all my neighbors, sometimes upwards of 12 or more during the middle of the day, does mostly, toward the evening, I've seen a few smaller bucks and had a 10 pointer with about a 16" spread that's been coming to my feeder but he's usually through around 3:00 A.M.  This morning at 7:45 I had this nice buck come for a visit to mess with the does around the feeder, never seen him before.  Now I'll see him permanently, he'll be mounted for sure.

By the way, this one is an 11 pointer, measures 20 1/2" inside, and weighed in at 203 pounds.

PorkerOinker

Got this 9 point in Logan county first week of modern gun.
"America promises equal opportunity, not equal outcomes"-Paul Ryan

ArchitectHog

Got this one on my first day of vacation.

Games don't make people violent, lag does.
Quote from: KEYS on October 07, 2009, 10:45:57 am
The Hogs should play every HOME game in Little Rock just as soon as the campus is moved there... hence the meaning of "home."
Quote from: DEVICEHIGH on August 13, 2010, 08:47:52 am
We can no longer afford to play in Little Rock. The university is in Fayetteville.

root_hawg

8 point this year; scored 130 B&C, had 6.5 inch bases

Slacker

Shot a decent 8 with my wife who went with me for the first time EVER hunting in our 20 years of marriage. That was fun.

Pistol Pete

root_hawg

here ya go

Pistol Pete

UhOhioHog

Here's mine.

Virgil

Not a monster but first buck of the year.

It's not what you push but what pushes you!!

JaketheSnake

1highhog

Ray Zorback_1*

Virgil

1highhog

Quote from: Ray Zorback_1* on November 09, 2014, 12:31:32 am
Can't get. The picture to embed for some reason, soooo link to pictures.   

https://picasaweb.google.com/dlholloway/November92014?authkey=Gv1sRgCMjRjeLP_emCIQ#6079586323700419106

That's a great looking deer there, that's bigger than the one I killed I believe.

Albert Einswine

Quote from: 1highhog on November 18, 2014, 01:34:02 am
That's a great looking deer there, that's bigger than the one I killed I believe.

Great job, man! Doing it the right way, brother. That's an awesome buck!

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Virgil

Quote from: 1highhog on November 18, 2014, 01:34:02 am

Another nice one. 

1highhog

Albert Einswine

Quote from: 1highhog on November 18, 2014, 03:20:46 pm
Thanks guys. 

What bow are you shooting?  What's your arrow and broadhead setup?

1highhog

I shoot woodsman elite 3 blade broad heads in 125 gr. with 29" carbon arrows along with my bow being a 48 year old Browning recurve that my Dad passed on to me.

Ray Zorback_1*

Quote from: 1highhog on November 18, 2014, 06:42:19 pm
I shoot woodsman elite 3 blade broad heads in 125 gr. with 29" carbon arrows along with my bow being a 48 year old Browning recurve that my Dad passed on to me.
I still have a bit of work to do b4 ill head to the woods with a recurve.  But I do love my Compound.  BTW that buck you shot was awesome.  I wish the deer on are land had some funky antlers, but in 25 years every deer has been a main frame 8. 

1highhog

Quote from: Ray Zorback_1* on November 20, 2014, 11:45:27 pm
I still have a bit of work to do b4 ill head to the woods with a recurve.  But I do love my Compound.  BTW that buck you shot was awesome.  I wish the deer on are land had some funky antlers, but in 25 years every deer has been a main frame 8. 

Anyone want to take a guess at where this deer was shot just by looking at the surroundings?  And yes, its in Arkansas.  I've only hunted deer in Arkansas. 

kodiakisland

Quote from: 1highhog on November 21, 2014, 03:13:48 am
Anyone want to take a guess at where this deer was shot just by looking at the surroundings?  And yes, its in Arkansas.  I've only hunted deer in Arkansas. 

Weddington
If gun control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome. http://heyjackass.com/

FORTVEGAS

Late season Buck

Albert Einswine

Quote from: 1highhog on November 18, 2014, 06:42:19 pm

Good blades. I shoot STOS 160 grain 2 blades on full length cedar shafts shield fletched. That combo has been absolutely lethal for me. The only deer I didn't eyewitness the tip over and death drop on was only because I couldn't see it through the foliage on the ditch bank. They usually don't make it 30 yards before they're done.

Virgil

Virgil

Quote from: 1highhog on November 21, 2014, 03:13:48 am

Maybe the Delta??

root_hawg

Nice little mount

root_hawg

Nice pic of the deer I got with my bow this year

Virgil

DCDM

Probably the biggest deer I've killed. Wish it had more of a spread and longer tine length. Although the mass is just crazy, wish I would've looked at the teeth to figure out how old ole boy was

root_hawg

PharmacistHog

I finally got one back that I killed in bradley county 2 years ago.

Quote from: HogPharmer on December 27, 2018, 09:45:23 am
Millennials suck...

Quote from: GA reddiehog on May 18, 2019, 12:36:02 pm
Hogs have hit a wall at the wrong time of the season.  I will go on record now and say they may not even get out of their regional.  The hitting has been carrying them with a few good pitching outings but they just don't have the reliable pitching they need to get back to the CWS.

root_hawg