Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Vanover offered by Hogs

Started by Thepigdoctor, July 14, 2015, 01:21:10 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Thepigdoctor

SIAP in the Vanover/Ole Miss thread. It looks like we offered last week and Bama has also offered now.

I didn't see this as a fit athletically, but with his size and shooting ability, he's certainly an intriguing prospect. If he gets comfortable in his body, adjusts to his growth spurt, he could be a real difference maker stretching defenses.

The state of Arkansas is really pumping out major talent, having at least two top 100 ESPN prospects the last few years and multiple top 50/60 prospects in the coming two-three years. Really need to build that fence and keep these kids home, as that's the easiest way to keep the program on the right track and really take that next step in returning to national prominence.

The_Iceman

He fits out offense a lot better than our defense. With our open spread offense, he would fit just fine. I wonder about his ability to play in the open floor on defense. Although if he plays the 5, he could always just play on the back end.

mountainhog

Does he have a top 5 or said anything at all about staying home?

TheRazorback500

He said on TV last night he was excited about maybe playing close to home, but didn't mention a top five.

:razorback:
Do you wanna get Rocked?

intelligence

Nice. Hopefully he can get with a good athletic Trainer.

nwahogfan1

Glad we offered because I see the kid getting a ton better but he is going into his soph year of HS.   Long long time before he goes to college.

WarPig88

With his skill set, there aren't many offenses this guy doesn't fit.

Pigsfeat

Quote from: WarPig88 on July 15, 2015, 12:21:41 pm
With his skill set, there aren't many offenses this guy doesn't fit.

True and if he shows any athletic ability at all will very likely be playing in the NBA.
"You don't eat mayonnaise to be healthy!"
E. Neal

Hog Fan from Camden

As young as he is, he has plenty of time to fill out.  Shot looked very good.  Mobility needs to get better, but again time will help.

jjdlc

Nolan's best teams had bigs that didn't really fit our style.  It gives the team options, when our normal style isn't getting it done.

HognitiveDissonance

Like they say, you can't teach height.

You can't coach 7'3.

It's a big man's game.

Take him and don't look back.

TomBigBeeHog

Vanover should commit right now
I spent most of my life drankin', gamblin', and chasing women, the rest I just wasted.

Quote from: TomBigBeeHog on July 15, 2015, 10:09:13 pm
Vanover should commit right now
That would make no sense at all. 

TomBigBeeHog

Why not? Corliss committed at 15.
I spent most of my life drankin', gamblin', and chasing women, the rest I just wasted.

Quote from: TomBigBeeHog on July 16, 2015, 09:53:26 pm
Why not? Corliss committed at 15.
He's had D1 offers for about a week.  He doesn't know what the program will look like in 3 years, or any other program.  The rush to get college decisions over for kids that in some cases are still in junior high makes no sense.

TomBigBeeHog

Are you saying our offer is premature?

Quote from: TomBigBeeHog on July 17, 2015, 12:00:18 pm
Are you saying our offer is premature?
I'm saying him committing is premature.

choppedporkextrasauce

Quote from: Karma on July 17, 2015, 09:36:15 am
He's had D1 offers for about a week.  He doesn't know what the program will look like in 3 years, or any other program.  The rush to get college decisions over for kids that in some cases are still in junior high makes no sense.

In 3 years it will still be the University of Arkansas, THE school in this state.

Quote from: choppedporkextrasauce on July 18, 2015, 10:50:03 am
In 3 years it will still be the University of Arkansas, THE school in this state.
If a kid could get a duke offer right now, he would have to consider it.  No reason to stop things before they start.

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: Karma on July 18, 2015, 11:20:28 am
If a kid could get a duke offer right now, he would have to consider it.  No reason to stop things before they start.

Lot of people seem to think Malik should have committed already,

Quote from: TomBigBeeHog on July 18, 2015, 01:52:28 pm
Lot of people seem to think Malik should have committed already,
He's two years older than vanover

WarPig88

Quote from: jjdlc on July 15, 2015, 03:47:45 pm
Nolan's best teams had bigs that didn't really fit our style.  It gives the team options, when our normal style isn't getting it done.

Oliver Miller, IBM, Darnell Robinson, and Corliss all were drafted. That's 4 guys who played the post under Nolan that didn't fit our style?

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: The_Iceman on July 14, 2015, 03:27:23 pm
He fits out offense a lot better than our defense. With our open spread offense, he would fit just fine. I wonder about his ability to play in the open floor on defense. Although if he plays the 5, he could always just play on the back end.
exactly. He is taller than anyone in the nba even. just hold your arms up, kid!
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli

jjdlc

Quote from: WarPig88 on July 18, 2015, 07:19:18 pm
Oliver Miller, IBM, Darnell Robinson, and Corliss all were drafted. That's 4 guys who played the post under Nolan that didn't fit our style?

Corliss was an excellent fit for our style.  The championship team alone had Darnell, Lee Wilson, and Dwight Stewart who weren't really built for a fast paced up and down type style.  I don't think we would have won it all without them though.

WarPig88

Quote from: jjdlc on July 18, 2015, 09:57:24 pm
Corliss was an excellent fit for our style.  The championship team alone had Darnell, Lee Wilson, and Dwight Stewart who weren't really built for a fast paced up and down type style.  I don't think we would have won it all without them though.

Lee Wilson hurt his knee while at the U of A. Prior to that injury he was the best big man we have ever had in terms of end to end speed.

Darnell Robinson also suffered a foot injury during his sophomore season that plagued him for the rest of his career. He was a very mobile big man prior to that with ability to handle the ball and shoot away from the basket.

Dwight Stewart did not have speed, but his offensive skill set and rebounding were tailor made for the system he played in.

Not to mention, those teams were Nolan's highest scoring teams. They couldn't have done that with pieces that didn't fit the system playing such prominent roles.

Thepigdoctor

Quote from: WarPig88 on July 20, 2015, 01:11:16 pm
Lee Wilson hurt his knee while at the U of A. Prior to that injury he was the best big man we have ever had in terms of end to end speed.

Darnell Robinson also suffered a foot injury during his sophomore season that plagued him for the rest of his career. He was a very mobile big man prior to that with ability to handle the ball and shoot away from the basket.

Dwight Stewart did not have speed, but his offensive skill set and rebounding were tailor made for the system he played in.

Not to mention, those teams were Nolan's highest scoring teams. They couldn't have done that with pieces that didn't fit the system playing such prominent roles.

Vanover could easily fit the Dwight Stewart mold, although they are entirely different players in respect to their bodies, the shooting range makes for an interesting comparison.

Hopefully Vanover continues to work hard in the weight room and is taking in about 5000 calories a day to bulk up. If he can add some solid mass, it should help him with his overall athleticism.

As some have noted above, you can help a player develop their game and body with a good strength program, but you can't coach 7'3.

WarPig88

Quote from: Thepigdoctor on July 21, 2015, 10:32:08 am
Vanover could easily fit the Dwight Stewart mold, although they are entirely different players in respect to their bodies, the shooting range makes for an interesting comparison.

Hopefully Vanover continues to work hard in the weight room and is taking in about 5000 calories a day to bulk up. If he can add some solid mass, it should help him with his overall athleticism.

As some have noted above, you can help a player develop their game and body with a good strength program, but you can't coach 7'3.

I don't know what Dwight was listed as weighing, but he and Vanover are pretty much nothing alike other than shooting rainge.

Dwight was a very physical player and would have had over 60 lbs on Vanover easily with much better lower body strength which is critical in the post.

Thepigdoctor

Quote from: WarPig88 on July 21, 2015, 08:58:46 pm
I don't know what Dwight was listed as weighing, but he and Vanover are pretty much nothing alike other than shooting rainge.

Dwight was a very physical player and would have had over 60 lbs on Vanover easily with much better lower body strength which is critical in the post.

Exactly why I noted that physically they were nothing alike, but offensively both can stretch the defense from the 5 position. It's going to take an incredible amount of hard work in the weight room and a whole lot of catfish and hush puppies for Vanover to be ready to bang in the post against division 1 power forwards/centers.

Hawg Red

I see a lot of talk about Vanover needing to put weight on, but I think the lack of speed and mobility is a bigger concern. And that's something that you can't really improve on much, especially at 7'3. It'll limit his effectiveness as a high-major college player with the "small ball" movement trickling down from the NBA to college game.

Thepigdoctor

Quote from: Hawg Red on July 22, 2015, 11:23:25 am
I see a lot of talk about Vanover needing to put weight on, but I think the lack of speed and mobility is a bigger concern. And that's something that you can't really improve on much, especially at 7'3. It'll limit his effectiveness as a high-major college player with the "small ball" movement trickling down from the NBA to college game.

Definite concerns, but we see players that grow so quickly struggle with speed, mobility, agility, and overall athleticism all the time. Adding solid mass, muscle, to his frame should help improve all aspects of his athleticism. He still has a couple of years in high school to develop his body and work on his mobility.

Hawg Red

Quote from: Thepigdoctor on July 22, 2015, 01:42:15 pm
Definite concerns, but we see players that grow so quickly struggle with speed, mobility, agility, and overall athleticism all the time. Adding solid mass, muscle, to his frame should help improve all aspects of his athleticism. He still has a couple of years in high school to develop his body and work on his mobility.

He definitely needs the added mass either way. He may always be a stiff, but at least he would be a strong stiff. I still have concerns about which level of college ball he'll ultimately end up at (because of the athletic concerns), but he's obviously impressing the right people right now. It will be very interesting to see him progress. Lot of development and time left before he's done at the high school/AAU level.

WarPig88

Quote from: Hawg Red on July 22, 2015, 11:23:25 am

They are both real concerns. Typically a player will lose speed as they put on mass. Very likely for a guy that is already slow that will be the case.

But if he is slow, his best bet is to at least be physical down low.

People get too hung up on the offensive skill set of players. This is hard for many to believe, but every player in college can score to some degree.

What sets them apart is how well they can defend. He is very skilled on offense even now, but if he scores 12 a game and gives up 15, he is a liability regardless of how tall he may be.

nwahogfan1

Quote from: Thepigdoctor on July 14, 2015, 01:21:10 pm
SIAP in the Vanover/Ole Miss thread. It looks like we offered last week and Bama has also offered now.

I didn't see this as a fit athletically, but with his size and shooting ability, he's certainly an intriguing prospect. If he gets comfortable in his body, adjusts to his growth spurt, he could be a real difference maker stretching defenses.

The state of Arkansas is really pumping out major talent, having at least two top 100 ESPN prospects the last few years and multiple top 50/60 prospects in the coming two-three years. Really need to build that fence and keep these kids home, as that's the easiest way to keep the program on the right track and really take that next step in returning to national prominence.
I am worried unless Mike begins signing more white kids if Vanover will feel at home on an all African American team.  Anybody face that situation before or talked to those that have?

Opinions from those who have faced that situation in college? 

WarPig88

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on July 23, 2015, 09:18:06 am
I am worried unless Mike begins signing more white kids if Vanover will feel at home on an all African American team.  Anybody face that situation before or talked to those that have?

Not an issue. Played in college. If it is an issue, then we don't want a guy like that anyway.

NorthChuckHog

El oh el

nwahogfan1

Quote from: WarPig88 on July 23, 2015, 12:40:19 pm
Not an issue. Played in college. If it is an issue, then we don't want a guy like that anyway.

So your saying if Vanover has a problem with being the only White on the team then it is His problem and we don't want him or need him. I wonder how he does feel about it.  Anyone know?   

Personally I would like to see more racial diversity on the team but as long as they are all good kids and are good ambassadors for our state and team then I am ok with it. 

Of course when our coach has to bail out 3 of his players from Jail then he is walking a tight rope without a net. 

Hawg Red

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on July 24, 2015, 07:39:45 am
So your saying if Vanover has a problem with being the only White on the team then it is His problem and we don't want him or need him. I wonder how he does feel about it.  Anyone know?   

Personally I would like to see more racial diversity on the team but as long as they are all good kids and are good ambassadors for our state and team then I am ok with it. 

Of course when our coach has to bail out 3 of his players from Jail then he is walking a tight rope without a net.

It's basketball. Most NBA players and most college basketball players are black. That's just a fact. Most kids on CV's AAU team are probably black. It comes with the territory with the sport. Anderson's style of player relies heavily on athleticism, and I don't think it's racist to say that black athletes just fit that mold better. Anderson's not looking at color. He's looking at fit. He's recruited white players and signed white players before. He brought in Dusty Hannahs. He tried to keep Rotnei Clarke around. He recruited Riley Norris and other white players out of HS. But it all goes back to the style of play and the type of athlete needed to accommodate that.

As far as the arrests and those players not being too kids, what they did was dumb, wrong, and reflected poorly on the program, state and university (but mainly themselves). No doubt about it. However, I don't think that makes them bad kids. That type of thing could happen most kids that age, regardless of race. I could see me having done something like that at that age. I know I did dumber things (to some degree, maybe not legally) than that. Typically, we see college athletes committing drug-related or violent crimes. These were not crimes against society (for the most part) that these kids committed. Increasing the number of white kids, or other races, isn't going to necessarily stop something like this from happening. Doug Gottlieb (white) got kicked out of Notre Dame for using stolen credit cards. That type of thing and the type of thing that our guys got arrested for are just immature things that kids do. Even good kids do immature things and make mistakes.

UNCLE BACK

I'd like to see this kid transfer to a higher classification. Mickleson played in the 4A as well and I talked to his dad a few times. He said he wished they would have transferred Hunter to Jonesboro. 4A is weak and there's no excuse with all the big schools in Little Rock. I know he plays AAU but he still needs to move up. I hope he does because I want to see this kid have every opportunity to be great!

WarPig88

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on July 24, 2015, 07:39:45 am

You are a perfect example of the people who think they can veil their racism toward the coach.

You don't want "diversity". You want more white kids.

If you wanted diversity then we would have to hispanics, asians, indians, etc.

You don't want a kid who is concerned with the subject brought up because he won't be a good team mate. Plain and simple.

farmhawg

Now the true reason for your hate comes out.
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

nwahogfan1

Quote from: farmhawg on July 24, 2015, 07:53:44 pm
Now the true reason for your hate comes out.
Where do you get the hate?  Give me evidence of where I have said I hate?   

I think your the hater of someone who doesn't think like you.

nwahogfan1

Quote from: WarPig88 on July 24, 2015, 07:38:54 pm
You are a perfect example of the people who think they can veil their racism toward the coach.

You don't want "diversity". You want more white kids.

If you wanted diversity then we would have to hispanics, asians, indians, etc.

You don't want a kid who is concerned with the subject brought up because he won't be a good team mate. Plain and simple.

To ask a question if Hanover might not come to our school because there is no one on the team who looks like him or act like him is just that a question.

He is making a decision where to spend the next 4 years.  It is a legitimate question. 

Does anyone know Hanover and what he is looking for in a school and it's diversity?

nwahogfan1

Quote from: Hawg Red on July 24, 2015, 09:18:11 am
It's basketball. Most NBA players and most college basketball players are black. That's just a fact. Most kids on CV's AAU team are probably black. It comes with the territory with the sport. Anderson's style of player relies heavily on athleticism, and I don't think it's racist to say that black athletes just fit that mold better. Anderson's not looking at color. He's looking at fit. He's recruited white players and signed white players before. He brought in Dusty Hannahs. He tried to keep Rotnei Clarke around. He recruited Riley Norris and other white players out of HS. But it all goes back to the style of play and the type of athlete needed to accommodate that.

As far as the arrests and those players not being too kids, what they did was dumb, wrong, and reflected poorly on the program, state and university (but mainly themselves). No doubt about it. However, I don't think that makes them bad kids. That type of thing could happen most kids that age, regardless of race. I could see me having done something like that at that age. I know I did dumber things (to some degree, maybe not legally) than that. Typically, we see college athletes committing drug-related or violent crimes. These were not crimes against society (for the most part) that these kids committed. Increasing the number of white kids, or other races, isn't going to necessarily stop something like this from happening. Doug Gottlieb (white) got kicked out of Notre Dame for using stolen credit cards. That type of thing and the type of thing that our guys got arrested for are just immature things that kids do. Even good kids do immature things and make mistakes.
I am not concerned with majority but I am concerned with only.  How would Hanover feel being the ONLY WHITE?

How would Hanover feel being the ONLY White on the team?   It is only a question?    Depending on Hanover's personality do you think he would sign with a team with more diversity.

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on July 25, 2015, 08:19:13 am
I am not concerned with majority but I am concerned with only.  How would Hanover feel being the ONLY WHITE?

How would Hanover feel being the ONLY White on the team?   It is only a question?    Depending on Hanover's personality do you think he would sign with a team with more diversity.

Who cares how Hanover feels, we aren't recruiting him anyway. It's Vanover that we want.

RazorAg

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on July 25, 2015, 08:19:13 am

nwa, you should've realized by now that your takes on college basketball are different than the majority. Now, this. You are behind the times whether you realize it or not.

nwahogfan1

Quote from: RazorAg on July 25, 2015, 10:55:49 am
nwa, you should've realized by now that your takes on college basketball are different than the majority. Now, this. You are behind the times whether you realize it or not.
I doubt it. We all want the Hogs to be successful but I guess we all have different ways of getting there.

I had a question of would Vanover come to Arkansas if he was the only White on the team?   Would he feel comfortable?  I was hoping I would hear from someone who actually knew him or knew his teammates.  the answer is who does he sign with.  Will racial undiver
Quote from: RazorAg on July 25, 2015, 10:55:49 am
I dont think so.    We all want Razorback BB to be successful but we have different ways of getting there.
Lets see who we recruit  in the fall to see what direction we are heading.