Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Red/White game scores

Started by hogfooey, October 20, 2017, 08:29:50 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hogfooey

and stats?  Anybody?  I figured somebody would have posted something by now.
If the Hogs are wrong!  I don't want to be right!

thehill1414

95-69 white. Gafford is amazing

The_Iceman

CJ Jones with almost 30, as I predicted.

Hoggle

Quote from: The_Iceman on October 20, 2017, 08:44:41 pm
CJ Jones with almost 30, as I predicted.

That would be the best news of the night if it's real. We've been fooled before with red/white performances.  Fingers crossed.

PonderinHog

Quote from: hogfooey on October 20, 2017, 08:29:50 pm
and stats?  Anybody?  I figured somebody would have posted something by now.
Sure would be nice, wouldn't it?

hogfooey

hogfooey

The_Iceman

hogfooey

The_Iceman

PonderinHog

Pinto

TheRazorback500

Do you wanna get Rocked?

azhog10

ADavisTheGOAT

Quote from: azhog10 on October 20, 2017, 09:42:28 pm
Eric Bolin is a [CENSORED]
I always thought Bolin was a moron too.
Razorbacks | Redskins | Pelicans | LA Tech

HogFoo

Guys, I said it before I'll say it again, tonight just solidified my beliefs. This is at least a sweet 16 team, and more than likely a elite8 or final 4 team!   I really thought that gafford would be good from everything I've heard, but he is BETTER than what I've heard!  And CJ has really came on as well!  I think just him getting playing Time would have made him better but damn, he looked good!  Dustin Thomas lost some weight and looks night and day quicker and better!  Anton beard did as well, Macon and Barford look more polished even, this team just looks great,  the only one that didn't seem to fit in was Thompson, he may have looked worse and slower but that was more than likely due to everyone being so much better and faster.  There was a dunk that gafford had on A drip Bailey from underbeath, just incredible!  I cannot believe the media picked us 6or7th.  We are closer to #1 than we are 6th or 7th. Shoot I think we'll be right there with Kentucky!  This is going to be a great season guys!  Great season!  Which is a wonderful thing!
Basketball is back, baseball always, football was a dumpster fire once again..... but as the phoenix rose from the ashes, BMF Petrino has risen again!!! Lots to look forward to.  <br /><br />As the rain falls, I realize, that some where out there, some one, is wearing a mask while they shower............

Breems

Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

hogfooey

The_Iceman

My caution is: Players always look good in red white games....except the 2015 season. Nothing looked good then.

BannerMountainMan

Me myself and I are saying that we are a sweet 16 team and then some of my friends are saying we are not even a tourney team so idk what to believe.
"Michael Qualls with the dunk at the buzzer, it goes and Arkansas wins, it goes and Arkansas wins"

PonderinHog

Quote from: BannerMountainMan on October 20, 2017, 10:27:44 pm
Me myself and I are saying that we are a sweet 16 team and then some of my friends are saying we are not even a tourney team so idk what to believe.
Now, no.  Come March, maybe...

niels_boar

Quote from: HogFoo on October 20, 2017, 09:46:44 pm
Guys, I said it before I'll say it again, tonight just solidified my beliefs. This is at least a sweet 16 team, and more than likely a elite8 or final 4 team!   I really thought that gafford would be good from everything I've heard, but he is BETTER than what I've heard!  And CJ has really came on as well!  I think just him getting playing Time would have made him better but damn, he looked good!  Dustin Thomas lost some weight and looks night and day quicker and better!  Anton beard did as well, Macon and Barford look more polished even, this team just looks great,  the only one that didn't seem to fit in was Thompson, he may have looked worse and slower but that was more than likely due to everyone being so much better and faster.  There was a dunk that gafford had on A drip Bailey from underbeath, just incredible!  I cannot believe the media picked us 6or7th.  We are closer to #1 than we are 6th or 7th. Shoot I think we'll be right there with Kentucky!  This is going to be a great season guys!  Great season!  Which is a wonderful thing!

A Red-White game is typically not the environment in which a player like Thompson will thrive.  He'll be a critical piece in SEC play against the size that teams like UF, A&M, and UK have and will be an important component in halfcourt offense and defense.
The jawbone of an ass is just as dangerous a weapon today as in Sampson's time.

Pinto

Quote from: niels_boar on October 20, 2017, 10:40:44 pm
A Red-White game is typically not the environment in which a player like Thompson will thrive.  He'll be a critical piece in SEC play against the size that teams like UF, A&M, and UK have and will be an important component in halfcourt offense and defense.

Thompson will get eaten alive vs those athletic bigs at those schools. I know everyone is happy that he improved a lot last year and everyone loves an unselfish player, but let's be real...Trey isn't even a top 10 maybe not even top 15 big in the conference.

azhog10

Quote from: Pinto on October 20, 2017, 10:46:31 pm
Thompson will get eaten alive vs those athletic bigs at those schools. I know everyone is happy that he improved a lot last year and everyone loves an unselfish player, but let's be real...Trey isn't even a top 10 maybe not even top 15 big in the conference.
GTFO. You wanna trash players go somewhere else.

BannerMountainMan

Thompson didn't get eaten alive last year so why would he this year? He will play his role and help this team.
"Michael Qualls with the dunk at the buzzer, it goes and Arkansas wins, it goes and Arkansas wins"

HogFoo

Quote from: niels_boar on October 20, 2017, 10:40:44 pm
yes, I try not to get too excited by how a player in a Red/white game plays.  I always think back to the Landis Williams syndrome.  The guy in red white and exhibit games would score 32pts a game and you'd think, wow, we have a super star!  Then the season would roll around and he's barely even sniffing any game time until clean up and he's then even only scoring 4-6 pts and you're thinking what happened?  The next season, he's doing the same thing and you get excited all over again only to be disappointed by him yet again.  So yeah, I learned my lesson in putting too much emphasis on how well a player does or how poorly until actual game time.  I will say that it was hard not to be excited at seeing what Gafford was able to do tho.  That kid is amazing !  To be that tall and have the agility, speed, that's something that'll sure get you excited about!
Basketball is back, baseball always, football was a dumpster fire once again..... but as the phoenix rose from the ashes, BMF Petrino has risen again!!! Lots to look forward to.  <br /><br />As the rain falls, I realize, that some where out there, some one, is wearing a mask while they shower............

Pinto

How is that trashing a player? I simply ranked him and said what his weakness is...athletic players. You guys are so sensitive

HogFoo

I think Trey will be every bit as good as he was at end of last season.  And perhaps a little more.  I figure once we get to conference play, this team will be pretty good.  And by the end of conference play, this team will be pretty damn good!  No one will want to play us then.. We'll probably get a 5or6 seed, but we will destroy teams all the way up to an elite 8 spot.

niels_boar

B.S.  He played 15 minutes per game last season in SEC play and had the fourth best PER on the team.  That wasn't trash minutes or a small sample size.  He led the team in assist rate and was one of the better defensive rebounders in the conference.  He didn't get eaten up last season.  He just won't average 15 points per game, which is all that casual fans notice.

Pinto

"Better defensive rebounders in the conference" according to who?

rzrbackramsfan

niels_boar

October 20, 2017, 11:18:27 pm #32 Last Edit: October 20, 2017, 11:29:35 pm by niels_boar
Quote from: Pinto on October 20, 2017, 11:00:27 pm
"Better defensive rebounders in the conference" according to who?

According to the defensive rebounding rate.  He averaged a defensive rebound every 6.1 minutes played in a system that doesn't emphasize keeping bigs in rebounding position.  Kingsley was at 5.4 minutes per defensive rebound.  Thompson was better than Bam Adebayo, Kevarrius Hayes, and Tyler Davis in that category, for instance.

BTW he played 48 minutes in the last two matchups with Ole Miss and was often matched up with Saiz, a first-team All-SEC forward.  Saiz was 6 of 29 in those games.  Somebody got eaten alive.

Deep Shoat

Stupid statement.  Trey Thompson held his own last season.  Why will he "get eaten alive" this season? 

thompson is one of those players that show just how good CMA is at player development.  Now that he's recruiting at a high level, I have a lot of hope for the future of Arkansas Basketball again.
All Gas, No Brakes!

Deep Shoat

Quote from: niels_boar on October 20, 2017, 11:18:27 pm
According to the defensive rebounding rate.  He averaged a defensive rebound every 6.1 minutes per minute played in a system that doesn't emphasize keeping bigs in rebounding position.  Kingsley was at 5.4 minutes per defensive.  Thompson was better than Bam Adebayo, Kevarrius Hayes, and Tyler Davis in that category, for instance.

BTW he played 48 minutes in the last two matchups with Ole Miss and was often matched up with Saiz, a first-team All-SEC forward.  Saiz was 6 of 29 in those games.  Somebody got eaten alive.
;D

It would seem a slow clap is in order...
All Gas, No Brakes!

Pinto

listen, you win bro. I don't care enough to debate with a guy who has to make up his rebounding metric to defend his argument

hview

I can't wait to see how they stack up against some of the non conference competition. 

niels_boar

Quote from: Pinto on October 20, 2017, 11:37:09 pm
listen, you win bro. I don't care enough to debate with a guy who has to make up his rebounding metric to defend his argument

Really, you think I made up minutes played per defensive rebound as a measure of individual rebounding proficiency?  You just disqualified yourself as having an informed opinion.

Pinto

You would have used defensive rebounding % if he was a really good defensive rebounder. I couldn't care less about you qualifying me by the way

fakenews

Gafford is at Arkansas 2 years max. I dont think he is very good offensively but he wont have to be with the putbacks he will get. He has to bulk up though. If Arkansas can run and gun he will show out more

JayHog

Beard 1-9 on threes? That's ugly...and this is coming from a man that's rooting for him.

niels_boar

October 21, 2017, 12:37:58 am #41 Last Edit: October 21, 2017, 01:37:32 am by niels_boar
Quote from: Pinto on October 20, 2017, 11:57:34 pm
You would have used defensive rebounding % if he was a really good defensive rebounder. I couldn't care less about you qualifying me by the way

DRB% is just defensive rebounds per minute times possible minutes divided by team defensive rebounds + opponent offensive rebounds, i.e. it is proportional to defensive rebounding rate per minute.  It tries to estimate the number of rebounds available to that player as total rebounds in the game times percent minutes played.  Hence, it assumes that the rate of rebounds available is constant regardless of whether a player is on the court or not.   I don't consider that wildly more accurate than the straight rebounding rate unless a service like Synergy actually breaks it down play by play, and, besides, the rankings differ little by either measure since they are proportional.   Even then, defensive responsibilities like being expected to challenge shots will influence the rate.  Anyhoo,

Player                   SEC DRB%   SEC Blk%  SEC AST%
Chris Silva               18.2             4.7           3.3
Trey Thompson        17.9             5.6          21.8
Bam Adebayo          17.2              5.2          2.6
Tyler Davis              15.9              2.5          3.3
Kevarrius Hayes       15.6             10.1         1.8
Yante Maten            13.4              5.1         13.5

Saiz, Kingsley, Williams, and Egbunu were all in the 20+% range.  That's what you get looking at minutes per rebound as well.  Thompson was right there in that group behind them in DRB% that includes a lot of top forwards in the league, and Arkansas doesn't go out of its way to keep bigs under the basket on defense and asks them to challenge shots with regularity.  Both Thompson's and Kingsley's combo of block percentage and rebounding rate were impressive.  Really, only Williams compared to Kingsley in being absolutely elite in both.  Thompson managed better percentages than Adebayo in both categories.  So, yes, he was most definitely one of the better defensive rebounders in the league. In USC's system those numbers would project that he would rebound at a higher rate than Silva if he went after fewer blocks that got him out of position.

And check out those dimes!!  Like Barford, Macon, and Jones won't be benefitting from those sweet dishes!!  That kind of a weapon mitigates his lack of scoring.  He produces at both ends.  He has his role. He needs to foul less, though.

Dwight_K_Shrute

Was very entertaining. Not sure if it's already been said but with the split rosters these guys played a lot more minutes than they would in a normal game. They were getting gassed late in second half.

I'm not going to put any post season expectations on them but all returning players except for Trey looked better than last year. I think Trey will be fine though. Just seemed a little out of rhythm tonight.

Gafford is next level. Will make the crowd say dayum a dozen times a game.

As previously stated Dustin Thomas is in better shape. Last year it seemed he was breaking out in withdrawal sweats after 2 minutes. Totally different player this year. Elevation and overall hustle much improved. Shot looks better too

Adrio spent some time in the weight room and has some muscle to go with those hops

CJ isn't going to hit 30 in SEC games but he is going to come in and be an offensive spark plug.

Gabe may be a pleasant surprise.

They may take some lumps early but will be fun to watch.   Fans need to do their part and come out early and often. They will feed off crowd energy.

Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

Randohoggie

Quote from: niels_boar on October 21, 2017, 12:37:58 am
DRB% is just defensive rebounds per minute times possible minutes divided by team defensive rebounds + opponent offensive rebounds, i.e. it is proportional to defensive rebounding rate per minute.  It tries to estimate the number of rebounds available to that player as total rebounds in the game times percent minutes played.  Hence, it assumes that the rate of rebounds available is constant regardless of whether a player is on the court or not.   I don't consider that wildly more accurate than the straight rebounding rate unless a service like Synergy actually breaks it down play by play, and, besides, the rankings differ little by either measure since they are proportional.   Even then, defensive responsibilities like being expected to challenge shots will influence the rate.  Anyhoo,

Player                   SEC DRB%   SEC Blk%  SEC AST%
Chris Silva               18.2             4.7           3.3
Trey Thompson        17.9             5.6          21.8
Bam Adebayo          17.2              5.2          2.6
Tyler Davis              15.9              2.5          3.3
Kevarrius Hayes       15.6             10.1         1.8
Yante Maten            13.4              5.1         13.5

Saiz, Kingsley, Williams, and Egbunu were all in the 20+% range.  That's what you get looking at minutes per rebound as well.  Thompson was right there in that group behind them in DRB% that includes a lot of top forwards in the league, and Arkansas doesn't go out of its way to keep bigs under the basket on defense and asks them to challenge shots with regularity.  Both Thompson's and Kingsley's combo of block percentage and rebounding rate were impressive.  Really, only Williams compared to Kingsley in being absolutely elite in both.  Thompson managed better percentages than Adebayo in both categories.  So, yes, he was most definitely one of the better defensive rebounders in the league. In USC's system those numbers would project that he would rebound at a higher rate than Silva if he went after fewer blocks that got him out of position.

And check out those dimes!!  Like Barford, Macon, and Jones won't be benefitting from those sweet dishes!!  That kind of a weapon mitigates his lack of scoring.  He produces at both ends.  He has his role. He needs to foul less, though.

Pork Twain

I am pumped for this year, first time in a long time.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

The_Iceman

Quote from: JayHog on October 21, 2017, 12:18:25 am
Beard 1-9 on threes? That's ugly...and this is coming from a man that's rooting for him.

I just can't see him as anything more than a backup off the bench.

Kamkaizen

We're gonna need more from Thompson.

Pinto

Quote from: The_Iceman on October 21, 2017, 07:09:43 am
I just can't see him as anything more than a backup off the bench.

I agree. Him, CJ and Trey will have very important roles off the bench.

HawgHeadCheese

Eaten alive? I don't know if you watched many games last year but Trey Thompson is no slouch in the paint defensively. He's not a shot blocker but does a good job of using his weight and pushing guys off the block. He also contest shots alot better then he's accredited.

azhog10

Quote from: HawgHeadCheese on October 21, 2017, 08:39:32 am
Eaten alive? I don't know if you watched many games last year but Trey Thompson is no slouch in the paint defensively. He's not a shot blocker but does a good job of using his weight and pushing guys off the block. He also contest shots alot better then he's accredited.
I remember the game against LSU and Ben Simmons. Trey wasn't eaten alive by that NBA level of athleticism that night.