Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How favorable would you say Arkansas's schedule is this year?

Started by Sweet Feet, June 15, 2017, 03:55:43 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

How favorable is Arkansas' schedule?

Very Favorable
Favorable
Average
Not as Favorable
Nowhere Favorable

Sweet Feet

How would you rate the favorability of Arkansas' schedule for 2017?

HiggiePiggy

They have a lot of the average teams at home this year.  This should be a 8 win regular season, but I will say 7 wins since we have lost games every year that we should have won because we don't know how to play a second half.   
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

GuvHog

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on June 15, 2017, 04:44:19 pm
They have a lot of the average teams at home this year.  This should be a 8 win regular season, but I will say 7 wins since we have lost games every year that we should have won because we don't know how to play a second half.   

Agreed, the home schedule is favorable this year, Ole Miss is in shambles, they are well past due for a win over A&M, and the Hogs get South Carolina rather than Florida.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

RME

Quote from: sevenof400 on June 15, 2017, 07:25:28 pm
Must win
HOME Aug. 31 Florida A&M Little Rock, Ark.  (War Memorial Stadium) 7 p.m. SEC Network Military Appreciation
HOME Sept. 30 New Mexico State Fayetteville, Ark. TBA Parents Weekend Military Appreciation
HOME Nov. 4 Coastal Carolina Fayetteville, Ark. TBA Homecoming
HOME Nov. 24 Missouri Fayetteville, Ark. 1:30 p.m.

Should win
HOME Sept. 9 TCU Fayetteville, Ark. 2:30 p.m. CBS Hall of Honor
NEUTRAL Sept. 23 Texas A&M Arlington, Texas (AT&T Stadium) TBA Southwest Classic
AWAY Oct. 28 at Ole Miss Oxford, Miss. TBA
HOME Nov. 18 Mississippi State Fayetteville, Ark. TBA

Toss up
AWAY Oct. 7 at South Carolina Columbia, S.C. TBA
HOME Oct. 21 Auburn Fayetteville, Ark. TBA

Underdog
AWAY Nov. 11 at LSU Baton Rouge, La. TBA Battle For The Boot

Prohibitive underdog
AWAY Oct. 14 at Alabama Tuscaloosa, Ala. TBA

8-4?

I like that breakdown. Like it a lot.

I just think I'd move A&M to "toss-up" based on recent history. We're "supposed" to beat them every year but something whacky happens.

Definitely agree that USCe is a toss up. That game isn't a gimme like some think. No, USCe isn't Florida, but going to Columbia in Muschamp's second year is far from a sure win.

The Kig

Favorable... hmmm.   If the D actually improves (which I can't imagine they could be worse than last year) we could win 8-10 and should win the home games other than Auburn. 
Poker Porker

Tiredofhogssucking

I'll say it's extremely unfavorable due to the timing of the bye week.  How many years have we been on a downward spiral and then get a bye week to piece some things together and change the momentum.  If we lose the Texas A&M game -- after our only bye week could really send the season into disarray. 

RME

Quote from: sevenof400 on June 15, 2017, 08:02:26 pm
All other things being equal (which they rarely are), USCe is the only long road trip of the regular season.  If that game is played at noon eastern time, that could be an additional negative factor.  But overall, the travel requirements of this schedule are pretty friendly.

This is true. Historically, we've done very well against them. But below Alabama, the parity of the SEC still exists. Like you said, a 12pm ET/11am CT game could be tough for us. At the end of the day, it's still a road game against (what we assume is) a middle of the pack SEC team. Can't take that lightly.

Quote from: Tiredofhogssucking on June 15, 2017, 08:19:23 pm
I'll say it's extremely unfavorable due to the timing of the bye week.  How many years have we been on a downward spiral and then get a bye week to piece some things together and change the momentum.  If we lose the Texas A&M game -- after our only bye week could really send the season into disarray.

This. This x100. Our bye week this year is absolutely god-awful. Usually we have a week to rest and get our stuff together, but this year we don't. I hate, hate, to be the cliche Hog fan, but I like next year. I hope I eat the ******** out of my words, but this year I don't see anything special happening. The away schedule + the bye week is rough in my opinion.

But, that's why they play the game. I'm an alum and current grad student living in D.C. and I've already bought tickets to Dallas, and will probably drive to Columbia. If they win those two, I'll be very, very happy with where the season can go.

GuvHog

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on June 15, 2017, 09:02:20 pm
This is true. Historically, we've done very well against them. But below Alabama, the parity of the SEC still exists. Like you said, a 12pm ET/11am CT game could be tough for us. At the end of the day, it's still a road game against (what we assume is) a middle of the pack SEC team. Can't take that lightly.

This. This x100. Our bye week this year is absolutely god-awful. Usually we have a week to rest and get our stuff together, but this year we don't. I hate, hate, to be the cliche Hog fan, but I like next year. I hope I eat the ******** out of my words, but this year I don't see anything special happening. The away schedule + the bye week is rough in my opinion.

But, that's why they play the game. I'm an alum and current grad student living in D.C. and I've already bought tickets to Dallas, and will probably drive to Columbia. If they win those two, I'll be very, very happy with where the season can go.

The fact that the Hogs have a game later in the season against Coastal Carolina in DWRRS will help in that regard. It will allow the hogs to rest any dinged up players.

Hogwild

What I don't like about our schedule:
Early Bye week and  come the third week in November, already 11 weeks into the season and we will have only played one conference game at home.

What I like about our schedule:
easy OOC schedule, 8th easiest in the country,  and they are all at home

LRHawg

I thought I was the only one that hated when the bye week is.

hogcard1964

Very favorable.   We have 6 gimmies on tap with 2 toss ups and 4 really tough games.  We're definitely bowl bound so it's just a matter of winning additionally in order to better our bowl game.

In my opinion, 4 of our 6 toughest games are away but this is pretty normal for the SEC.  Also 5 of those 6 games are conference games.  If you want to run with the Big Dogs, you face this type schedule every season and you come out on top most every season.  We've got all this down but the winning part.

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: hogcard1964 on June 16, 2017, 04:33:06 pm
Very favorable.   We have 6 gimmies on tap with 2 toss ups and 4 really tough games.  We're definitely bowl bound so it's just a matter of winning additionally in order to better our bowl game.

3 gimmie games. Missouri last year keeps me from making any other team a gimmie. 

hogcard1964

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on June 16, 2017, 07:20:55 pm
3 gimmie games. Missouri last year keeps me from making any other team a gimmie.

3 of the 4 non conference games + Ole Miss, Miss St and probably Mizzou.  Not to mention, I think we roll TCU.

RME

Quote from: hogcard1964 on June 16, 2017, 08:47:42 pm
3 of the 4 non conference games + Ole Miss, Miss St and probably Mizzou.  Not to mention, I think we roll TCU.

How in the hell are Ole Miss, Miss St. and Mizzou gimmies?

We're 1-4 in the last 5 meetings with Mississippi State.
We're 1-2 against Mizzou since they joined the SEC.
We're 3-1 against Ole Miss under Bret, but without Hunter Henry we'd be 2-2.

I'm gonna venture to guess that you're quite a bit older than I am, and even I realize there are no "gimmies" in SEC football. I know you say things to get a rise out of people, and chances are you don't even believe 90% of the things you post.

Every year people on this board say "no way we lose to A&M this year. They're a dumpster fire and Sumlin is gone." We've lost to them 5 years in a row. I'm all about being optimistic, but optimistic to the point of saying an SEC game is a "gimmie" is ignorant.

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: hogcard1964 on June 16, 2017, 08:47:42 pm

We lost to a 4-8 missouri team last year when we were leading at halftime. No team except the 3 rent a wins are a gimmie until this staff proves they can beat all the teams they are favored to beat. 

Youngsta71701

Quote from: Sweet Feet on June 15, 2017, 03:55:43 pm
How would you rate the favorability of Arkansas' schedule for 2017?
Not. And SEC West schedule is never favorable.
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

hogcard1964

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on June 16, 2017, 09:37:30 pm

I'm gonna venture to guess that you're quite a bit older than I am, and even I realize there are no "gimmies" in SEC football. I know you say things to get a rise out of people, and chances are you don't even believe 90% of the things you post.

Every year people on this board say "no way we lose to A&M this year. They're a dumpster fire and Sumlin is gone." We've lost to them 5 years in a row. I'm all about being optimistic, but optimistic to the point of saying an SEC game is a "gimmie" is ignorant.

You've probably got a point.  I'm basing this on more on what we "should" do.

King Kong

Our easiest SEC schedule since 2011 as far as teams

Of course the lack of a bye week in SEC play could kill us.

factchecker

Quote from: hogcard1964 on June 17, 2017, 08:53:51 am
You've probably got a point.  I'm basing this on more on what we "should" do.

Isn't "we" for you Bama?

Quote from: hogcard1964 on November 17, 2012, 01:33:32 pm
No attention needed.  However as a Bama fan, I hope it's more than just a rumor that Long has been extended.

Dude, sometimes. it's better to take a step back and accept other opinions and facts from someone that's not so close to you.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

GuvHog

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on June 16, 2017, 09:37:30 pm

The Hogs lost to Miss State in DWRRS in 2015. The Bulldogs got lucky in DWRRS for the first time in many years (I don't count 2013). That should never happen and won't this year.
Mizzou's wins against Arkansas both came in Columbia. They haven't beaten the Hogs in Fayetteville and they won't this year either.
Ole Miss is in shambles and could very well go 0-8 in SEC play this year.

I agree that there are no true gimmie games in SEC football but those 3 teams come as close as one can get to that.

As for A&M, the Hogs are way past due for a win against them.

HiggiePiggy

I agree that they come close and if we hadn't lost to teams that were close gimmies before then I would be confident in our team.

rhames

Quote from: GuvHog on June 17, 2017, 04:22:45 pm
The Hogs lost to Miss State in DWRRS in 2015. The Bulldogs got lucky in DWRRS for the first time in many years (I don't count 2013). That should never happen and won't this year.
Mizzou's wins against Arkansas both came in Columbia. They haven't beaten the Hogs in Fayetteville and they won't this year either.

I agree that there are no true gimmie games in SEC football but those 3 teams come as close as one can get to that.

Ole miss will beat some teams this year. It's the coming years where they will suck. They still have talent. I predict this is the game we lose that we shouldn't.
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

Al Boarland

You have an archaic way of thinking about MS St.

Their program is on par with ours.

GuvHog

Quote from: Al Boarland on June 17, 2017, 05:47:48 pm
You have an archaic way of thinking about MS St.

Their program is on par with ours.

Not really. They got lucky in 2015 and 2013 was Bret's first year. Before that Miss. State hadn't won in Fayetteville in many years.

GuvHog

Quote from: rhames on June 17, 2017, 05:43:53 pm

Ole miss will beat some teams this year. It's the coming years where they will suck. They still have talent. I predict this is the game we lose that we shouldn't.

Not gonna happen. They have a pretty good QB but not much experienced talent around him. They lost a lot on Defense too. They are not picked to finish DEAD LAST in the SEC West by most pundits for no reason.

RME

Meaningless statement. Exactly what I alluded to in my initial post. We've been "way past due" for years now, no?

Bacons Rebellion

Like most odd numbered years, it's an unfavorable schedule to have a fairytale 1964 season, playing Alabama and LSU on the road. We're not going 11-1.

However, like most odd numbered years, it's a favorable schedule for having a respectable record, getting a lot of winnable games at home. We're not going 4-8.

South Carolina is expected to be good, but it's still better than Florida or Georgia from the east.

TCU returns more starters than we do from a team that was as good as we were. That's not good, but we have them at home.

All-in-all, I think the schedule nets out about same-ol' same ol'.

rhames

Quote from: GuvHog on June 17, 2017, 06:19:13 pm
Not gonna happen. They have a pretty good QB but not much experienced talent around him. They lost a lot on Defense too. They are not picked to finish DEAD LAST in the SEC West by most pundits for no reason.

Double negative much?

Until proven otherwise, any team with a somewhat capable QB is going to give our defense fits.
We shall see.
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

cosmodrum

With one of Nutt's or Petrino's better teams, I'd see 9 maybe 10 regular season wins.

For BB? I don't see over 8, but will probably be 6-7.
Go away, batin'

Wildhog

Quote from: cosmodrum on June 19, 2017, 03:29:56 pm
With one of Nutt's or Petrino's better teams, I'd see 9 maybe 10 regular season wins.

For BB? I don't see over 8, but will probably be 6-7.

Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

010HogFan

Quote from: GuvHog on June 17, 2017, 06:17:04 pm
Not really. They got lucky in 2015 and 2013 was Bret's first year. Before that Miss. State hadn't won in Fayetteville in many years.

Definitely the old way of thinking about them. Fitzgerald is a stud and that game is far from a gimme. Gonna take a solid effort for any team to beat them on a given Saturday.

Wildhog

Quote from: 010HogFan on June 19, 2017, 04:29:40 pm
Definitely the old way of thinking about them. Fitzgerald is a stud and that game is far from a gimme. Gonna take a solid effort for any team to beat them on a given Saturday.

Mullen's just a great coach. 
1909/1964/1965/1977

factchecker

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Wildhog

Quote from: factchecker on June 19, 2017, 04:33:37 pm
One of the best QB developers.

What he's been able to do at MSU is nothing short of incredible.

One of the most underappreciated coaches in the country, IMO.   I'd take him at Arkansas right now.
1909/1964/1965/1977

factchecker

Quote from: Wildhog on June 19, 2017, 04:35:10 pm

One of the most underappreciated coaches in the country, IMO.   I'd take him at Arkansas right now.

How Mississippi State has been able to keep him is beyond me.

He GA'd at Notre Dame so maybe he will get a shot there if/when Kelly is let go.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

GuvHog

Quote from: Wildhog on June 19, 2017, 04:35:10 pm

Definitely a good one I agree. He did have a rough season last year though, only going 5-7 in regular season play.

Wildhog

Quote from: GuvHog on June 19, 2017, 05:36:39 pm
Definitely a good one I agree. He did have a rough season last year though, only going 5-7 in regular season play.

Rebuilding years happen, especially at Moo State. 
1909/1964/1965/1977

HiggiePiggy

Dan Mullen has the best winning % at Mississippi state since the 40s and 50s.

hogcard1964

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on June 19, 2017, 06:49:43 pm
Dan Mullen has the best winning % at Mississippi state since the 40s and 50s.

I did not know that.  Everyone is picking them for dead last this season.

gchamblee

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: hogcard1964 on June 19, 2017, 06:55:15 pm
I did not know that.  Everyone is picking them for dead last this season.

It's possible. I see them and Ole Miss fighting for last place in the west, but Dan Mullen has done a really good job at Mississippi State. It's just a bad school to coach at. 

gchamblee

Quote from: hogcard1964 on June 19, 2017, 07:49:55 pm
What do you think of Mike Bobo?

I don't. While the OC at Georgia, the fans constantly complained about his play calling and were wanting him replaced. Another one of your favorite teams?

Hoggish1

If it wasn't for that ridiculously early bye week, it would be better than average.

Dwight_K_Shrute

HOME Aug. 31 Florida A&M Little Rock, Ark.  (War Memorial Stadium) 7 p.m. SEC Network Military Appreciation

NEUTRAL Sept. 23 Texas A&M Arlington, Texas (AT&T Stadium) TBA Southwest Classic
HOME Sept. 30 New Mexico State Fayetteville, Ark. TBA Parents Weekend Military Appreciation

Although the early bye week isn't great at least it comes before A&M.  BB needs to finally win one against Sumlin and the Aggies, and having a bye after two early games to help plan and heal can't hurt so it's a +1 in that regard.  Beating A&M goes a long way with fans so it's more important that a typical conference game.

Whether we win or lose against A&M having a G5 team the caliber (or lack thereof) of NMSU doesn't hurt.  If we win it's nice not to have to play an SEC opponent after the emotional high of finally beating the Aggies.  If we lose it's a nice game to get better and rebuild morale.  Also nice to have this game before the murderers' row next 4.

The SC to Ole Miss stretch isn't as bad as some strings we've had in recent years but it's close.  Only 1 game in 4 weeks at home.  Although life on the road in the SEC is never easy I don't view Columbia or Oxford as intimidating environments where you just go in and are lucky as hell if you win.  I was at the OM game in BB's first season and although we lost by 10 that team hung with them.  Having Auburn in Fayetteville gives us a chance there as well.  The only presumptive loss is Bama.

So after coming off that 4 game stretch we don't have a bye but the next best thing, the Coastal Carolina Chanticleers.  In case you don't know what a Chanticleer is.

You've got to like our chances in 3 of those last 4.  No one knows what Ed O's first year as full time HC will be like.  He was the golden Boudreaux last year but now he has to face an entire SEC slate with real and or unreal expectations.  Yes they have the talent but they've always had the talent.  They went a lot off emotion last year and as we know that can lead to some high highs and some low lows.  Still LSU will be the favorite but stranger things have happened in Red Stick.

You can't ask for a better way to close out the schedule than MSU and Mizzou at home.  Yeah they've got Fitz, but we have AMFA and a beast of a QB developer and OC ourselves in one Dan Enos.  Ok so both QBs improve over LY and both D's improve over last year.  We beat them by 16 at their place so while nothing is a given this is a good one to have at home.

Same with Mizzou errbody got the feels for them since they came back and beat us last year to me that was more about the psychological stuff going on with our team than Mizzou.  For whatever reason the foot would come off the gas last year.  Call it lack of heart, no clear leadership, whatever.  I don't see it happening again this year.  AA is clearly the man now and Big Frank didn't come back to piss these games away.

In the end it's a decent path to 8 wins, and probably our easiest path to 8 since BB has been here.  In that regard it's a pretty favorable schedule.  Ticket value wise it's a bit meh but we were pretty spoiled last year.

Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

GuvHog

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on June 20, 2017, 02:58:01 pm

Although the early bye week isn't great at least it comes before A&M.  BB needs to finally win one against Sumlin and the Aggies, and having a bye after two early games to help plan and heal can't hurt so it's a +1 in that regard.  Beating A&M goes a long way with fans so it's more important that a typical conference game.

Whether we win or lose against A&M having a G5 team the caliber (or lack thereof) of NMSU doesn't hurt.  If we win it's nice not to have to play an SEC opponent after the emotional high of finally beating the Aggies.  If we lose it's a nice game to get better and rebuild morale.  Also nice to have this game before the murderers' row next 4.

The SC to Ole Miss stretch isn't as bad as some strings we've had in recent years but it's close.  Only 1 game in 4 weeks at home.  Although life on the road in the SEC is never easy I don't view Columbia or Oxford as intimidating environments where you just go in and are lucky as hell if you win.  I was at the OM game in BB's first season and although we lost by 10 that team hung with them.  Having Auburn in Fayetteville gives us a chance there as well.  The only presumptive loss is Bama.

So after coming off that 4 game stretch we don't have a bye but the next best thing, the Coastal Carolina Chanticleers.  In case you don't know what a Chanticleer is.

You've got to like our chances in 3 of those last 4.  No one knows what Ed O's first year as full time HC will be like.  He was the golden Boudreaux last year but now he has to face an entire SEC slate with real and or unreal expectations.  Yes they have the talent but they've always had the talent.  They went a lot off emotion last year and as we know that can lead to some high highs and some low lows.  Still LSU will be the favorite but stranger things have happened in Red Stick.

You can't ask for a better way to close out the schedule than MSU and Mizzou at home.  Yeah they've got Fitz, but we have AMFA and a beast of a QB developer and OC ourselves in one Dan Enos.  Ok so both QBs improve over LY and both D's improve over last year.  We beat them by 16 at their place so while nothing is a given this is a good one to have at home.

Same with Mizzou errbody got the feels for them since they came back and beat us last year to me that was more about the psychological stuff going on with our team than Mizzou.  For whatever reason the foot would come off the gas last year.  Call it lack of heart, no clear leadership, whatever.  I don't see it happening again this year.  AA is clearly the man now and Big Frank didn't come back to piss these games away.

In the end it's a decent path to 8 wins, and probably our easiest path to 8 since BB has been here.  In that regard it's a pretty favorable schedule.  Ticket value wise it's a bit meh but we were pretty spoiled last year.

Well done. Very good analysis.

LJHOG

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: LJHOG on June 20, 2017, 07:22:27 pm
Bama and LSU away = unfavorable.

Not always true.  We haven't beaten Alabama in a decade so really it doesn't matter where they are.  We have beaten LSU pretty much 50% of the time. Having the weaker teams at home gives us a better chance to get a decent record.

Wildhog

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on June 20, 2017, 07:35:15 pm
Not always true.  We haven't beaten Alabama in a decade so really it doesn't matter where they are.  We have beaten LSU pretty much 50% of the time. Having the weaker teams at home gives us a better chance to get a decent record.

Spot on.
1909/1964/1965/1977