Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Vin Ascolese?

Started by nattyhypethe3rd, September 19, 2012, 11:44:46 am

Previous topic - Next topic

nattyhypethe3rd

Does anybody know what he is up to? I know he had to basically stay home in the fall because of grades but I have not really heard from him on Twitter. Seems like he is focusing on grades more than being on Twitter which is good but just wondering if anybody knows what he is up to?
"Don't talk like one of them, you're not! Even if you'd like to be. To them, you're just a freak, like me. They need you right now. But when they don't, they'll cast you out, like a leper. See, their morals, their code... it's a bad joke. Dropped at the first sign of trouble. They're only as good as the world allows them to be. I'll show you, when the chips are down, these... these civilized people? They'll eat each other. See, I'm not a monster, I'm just ahead of the curve."- The Joker from The Dark Knight

ki285

ive wondered the same thing myself. i really want this kid to make it to campus. hes got a linebacker mentality, and that is something that you cant teach.

nattyhypethe3rd

Me too. He is just one of those players that has that fire in their stomach that I want to see come here. I sure hope he can make it here. The fanbase already loves him.
"Don't talk like one of them, you're not! Even if you'd like to be. To them, you're just a freak, like me. They need you right now. But when they don't, they'll cast you out, like a leper. See, their morals, their code... it's a bad joke. Dropped at the first sign of trouble. They're only as good as the world allows them to be. I'll show you, when the chips are down, these... these civilized people? They'll eat each other. See, I'm not a monster, I'm just ahead of the curve."- The Joker from The Dark Knight

ki285

exactly. i loved his highlight video. there was no arm tackling or grabbing and slinging, he ran through every tackle. i cant remember the last linebacker we had that was a headhunter, probably tony bua. i know jerry franklin made a lot of plays but he was nver a big hitter.

whosiskid

His instincts for the ball on the highlight reel I saw were just amazing. He had over 50 tackles behind the line of scrimmage if I remember correctly. Last I heard he was going to enroll in the winter. I really hope that is still true.
"It's no trick to make a lot of money...if all you want...is to make a lot of money." - Bernstein, in Citizen Kane

"What if you were given the task of entertaining yourself all day but were finished by noon?" - Kierkegaard

"The disposition to admire, and almost to worship, the rich and the powerful, and to despise, or, at least, to neglect, persons of poor and mean condition [is] the great and most universal cause of the corruption of our moral sentiments." - Adam Smith

"That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves." - Kim Stanley Robinson

secfan1

Tim Harris

No insider information but I don't think we will ever seen him put on a Hogs jersey.

BigSexyHog

Quote from: Tim Harris on September 19, 2012, 12:51:31 pm
No insider information but I don't think we will ever seen him put on a Hogs jersey.

Doesn't look that way but who knows at this point.
Lebron raised money for kids... Rotnei stole crap from the equipment room

Wildhog

Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

Break & Run

Vin deleted his twitter and facebook to help himself focus on his grades.  He does plan on coming for the Spring semester.
Quote from: Michael BernalWhat's your favorite Arkansas tradition?
"I can't be cliché and say 'Call the Hogs,' but I think I have to.  That's just something that sets our university apart.  When you're out on the field and everyone in the stadium stands up, it's amazing.  Even when we're at a football or basketball game, just to see that many people around you doing the same thing for you when you're on the field or for the other guys who are playing, it's pretty awesome."

nattyhypethe3rd

Yeah thats what I figured. You can tell he really wants to come here and will sacrifice those social media sites for him to focus and get where he wants to be. Good for him. I hope he makes it here.

Blutoblutarsky

If this weekend doesn't go well, he'll prob end up at Rutgers.

nattyhypethe3rd

Any update on Wilson? lol

nattyhypethe3rd

In the words of the Razorbacks prophet. SMILE! lol

hogwild210

Quote from: Steef on May 26, 2017, 12:28:23 pm
Still, one can never go wrong with excrement at a time like this.

poloprince

$PoLoPrInCe$

RazorPiggie

Quote from: davispard on September 19, 2012, 09:05:55 pm
Parade All American

Abron was too. We saw how that turned out. Not saying anything bad about vin just saying you cant go by that.

davispard

Quote from: RazorPiggie            (Matt D) on September 19, 2012, 09:38:32 pm
Abron was too. We saw how that turned out. Not saying anything bad about vin just saying you cant go by that.
Army All American Game.  Played very well against some of the nation's best..

yraciv

Quote from: davispard on September 19, 2012, 09:05:55 pm
Parade All American

Minor accomplishment! Award based on high school stats, despite level of competition, and not on true quality of the player.

hogwild210

Quote from: davispard on September 19, 2012, 10:11:12 pm
Army All American Game.  Played very well against some of the nation's best..

Semper Fi All-American game...

regi

We have a lot of guys like Ascolese on the defensive depth chart now....how is that working out for us?

whosiskid

September 19, 2012, 11:50:41 pm #22 Last Edit: September 20, 2012, 07:24:38 am by whosiskid
How do we know we have a lot of guys like Ascolese? We don't know what type he is until he shows up on campus and straps on some pads. I know this: he looked more impressive to me on tape than any other defensive player we signed last year. He was ALWAYS at the ball at the end of plays, whether you were looking at highlight reels or at game reels on HUDL. The kid has a very high FB IQ - his grandfather was a NJ coaching legend and Vin was his star player in his final year of coaching - and understands the game. He is a playmaker. And people can always pooh pooh his going to the Semper Fi game and being the best player on his state championship team and Parade All America and yada yada yada, but you know what? Some people don't want good news. They think that any player who wants to be a Razorback can't be any good. That if they weren't recruited by Bama and LSU that they are inferior prospects. Regardless of what you say, they aren't going to like them. Because they get this huge joy out of feeling as miserable about Arkansas as possible. They don't feel good unless every single conceivable aspect of Arkansas football sucks. All the coaches have to suck (except maybe Petrino). All the players have to suck. The town has to suck. The prospects have to suck. And yada yada yada once again.

Some of it sucks. Not as much as people think. The problem can actually be turned around really quickly. I've always said that the most important position is the head coach. I still say that. More important than players or anything. We can thank Bobby Petrino for being so monumentally stupid that he had to be fired. And as I've attempted to explain in other threads, there are simply certain things that will get you fired from any job in the world, unless you work at some rinky dink place. Bob at Bob's Burgers can hire his mistress and get away with it, but no one in a real organization can do that. I've mentioned Paul Wolfowitz, who after quitting George W. Bush's staff became head of one of the most important (if corrupt) entities in the world: The World Bank. Paul Wolfowitz hired his girlfriend for a job. Guess what. Paul Wolfowitz was forced to resign.

So Bobby Petrino put us in a position where we lost the most important individual on a football team, the head coach. If Petrino were here, we'd be 2-1 and maybe even 3-0. Who knows how'd we'd have played Alabama with a read head coach, a healthy QB, and a fully energized team.

Some will remember that we had to fire Lou Holtz. The main reason was because during a period of time when early all the black players were complaining that Holtz was racist and insensitive to racial issues, he goes and makes a political endorsement commercial for North Carolina senator Jesse Helms, one of the most racist politicians in Washington. In other words, in an already incendiary situation, that idiot Holtz decided that there was nothing wrong with splashing around gasoline. Ostensibly the problem was that Holtz became involved in a political campaign in a completely different state (not that they would have countenanced his endorsing an Arkansas political candidate either), but really he got fired for being an idiot.

So Holtz left Arkansas and took over at University of Minnesota. Using the group of losing players he inherited, he instantly fielded a winning football team. Holtz is an idiot off the field, just as Petrino is, but he is - as is Petrino - a great football coach. The only real difference between one year and the next was Holtz. The only real difference between this year and last for Arkansas is Smith, who was hired to be a lame duck. He was placed in a situation where he could not possibly succeed.

So this babbling about how terrible the coaches, Jeff Long, the players, and recruiting is really needs to give way to common sense. We had shots last January at more highly rated linebackers than Vin Ascolese, but we went after Vin instead. But I thought then and thought now that Ascolese had the potential to be a major play maker in the SEC. Will he definitely do that? I don't know. Neither do the whiners. But he is the kind of kid I want on the Razrobacks, a high football IQ (even if he has some issues in classes) kid with a strong family football pedigree, a high degree of athleticism and a tremendous sense for how the play is going to develop. Like I said above, over 50 tackles behind the line of scrimmage. Over 50 tackles for a loss. The kid can play football. He is precisely the kind of player we need, and the problem with our team is that we don't have enough aggressive playmakers on defense like Vin.

But will the whiners please do everyone favor and discuss real problems. Don't label EVERYTHING  a problem. You lose credibility. There is a passage in ALICE IN WONDERLAND where some character asks Alice to recite a poem. She recites "You are old Father William," and at the end the other character says, "It was wrong." Alice concedes that a few words might have been wrong but the person continues, "No, it was wrong from beginning to end." [I'm quoting all this from memory so like Alice I may be getting some of it wrong, but certainly not all of it.] The whiners here are like that. It isn't that some of the program is wrong; all of it is. It becomes obvious that they are just in a nasty mood and are doing nothing but venting. Instead, make solid points. Back them up with real evidence and reasoning instead of broad, blanket assertions that not only can't be supported by facts but flies in the face of them.
"It's no trick to make a lot of money...if all you want...is to make a lot of money." - Bernstein, in Citizen Kane

"What if you were given the task of entertaining yourself all day but were finished by noon?" - Kierkegaard

"The disposition to admire, and almost to worship, the rich and the powerful, and to despise, or, at least, to neglect, persons of poor and mean condition [is] the great and most universal cause of the corruption of our moral sentiments." - Adam Smith

"That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves." - Kim Stanley Robinson

BoynamedWooPigSooie

that kind of logic and even keeled posting has no place here.
Hogville's resident uniform designer.

HogWall Jackson

I really like the kid's Motor and wish him the best in getting his grades in order. I hope he is here in the Spring. Go Vinny.

whosiskid

Quote from: BoynamedWooPigSooie on September 20, 2012, 04:13:02 am
that kind of logic and even keeled posting has no place here.

I'm beginning to think you are right. I've had to stay away from the Monday Morning QB forum because you get this seething insanity there.

You know, one of the biggest reasons I've always thought Arkansas was a great place for kids to play was that we had some of the best fans anywhere, and since graduating from OBU (at one point I thought I was going to be a minister - hence OBU over any other school) I've lived in Louisville, New Haven Connecticut, Madison Wisconsin, and Chicago. So I've got a taste of a lot of fans, and honestly I thought ours were the best. Until recently. I grasp people's frustration, but it has gotten out of hand. I think it has reached the point where we might be driving some prospective recruits away. We know that many of them read Hogville and other Razorback forums. They can't be impressed.

We just need to hold it together until we get our new coach in December.

OTTER

Quote from: whosiskid on September 20, 2012, 07:10:56 am
I'm beginning to think you are right. I've had to stay away from the Monday Morning QB forum because you get this seething insanity there.

You know, one of the biggest reasons I've always thought Arkansas was a great place for kids to play was that we had some of the best fans anywhere, and since graduating from OBU (at one point I thought I was going to be a minister - hence OBU over any other school) I've lived in Louisville, New Haven Connecticut, Madison Wisconsin, and Chicago. So I've got a taste of a lot of fans, and honestly I thought ours were the best. Until recently. I grasp people's frustration, but it has gotten out of hand. I think it has reached the point where we might be driving some prospective recruits away. We know that many of them read Hogville and other Razorback forums. They can't be impressed.

Bravo! Bravo!!!
BE AFRAID!!  Be very, very afraid!  The Hogs are hungry and you look a lot like lunch!

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: whosiskid on September 20, 2012, 07:10:56 am

OBU Alum too...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

FaytownHog

Quote from: whosiskid on September 19, 2012, 11:50:41 pm
How do we know we have a lot of guys like Ascolese? We don't know what type he is until he shows up on campus and straps on some pads. I know this: he looked more impressive to me on tape than any other defensive player we signed last year. He was ALWAYS at the ball at the end of plays, whether you were looking at highlight reels or at game reels on HUDL. The kid has a very high FB IQ - his grandfather was a NJ coaching legend and Vin was his star player in his final year of coaching - and understands the game. He is a playmaker. And people can always pooh pooh his going to the Semper Fi game and being the best player on his state championship team and Parade All America and yada yada yada, but you know what? Some people don't want good news. They think that any player who wants to be a Razorback can't be any good. That if they weren't recruited by Bama and LSU that they are inferior prospects. Regardless of what you say, they aren't going to like them. Because they get this huge joy out of feeling as miserable about Arkansas as possible. They don't feel good unless every single conceivable aspect of Arkansas football sucks. All the coaches have to suck (except maybe Petrino). All the players have to suck. The town has to suck. The prospects have to suck. And yada yada yada once again.

Some of it sucks. Not as much as people think. The problem can actually be turned around really quickly. I've always said that the most important position is the head coach. I still say that. More important than players or anything. We can thank Bobby Petrino for being so monumentally stupid that he had to be fired. And as I've attempted to explain in other threads, there are simply certain things that will get you fired from any job in the world, unless you work at some rinky dink place. Bob at Bob's Burgers can hire his mistress and get away with it, but no one in a real organization can do that. I've mentioned Paul Wolfowitz, who after quitting George W. Bush's staff became head of one of the most important (if corrupt) entities in the world: The World Bank. Paul Wolfowitz hired his girlfriend for a job. Guess what. Paul Wolfowitz was forced to resign.

So Bobby Petrino put us in a position where we lost the most important individual on a football team, the head coach. If Petrino were here, we'd be 2-1 and maybe even 3-0. Who knows how'd we'd have played Alabama with a read head coach, a healthy QB, and a fully energized team.

Some will remember that we had to fire Lou Holtz. The main reason was because during a period of time when early all the black players were complaining that Holtz was racist and insensitive to racial issues, he goes and makes a political endorsement commercial for North Carolina senator Jesse Helms, one of the most racist politicians in Washington. In other words, in an already incendiary situation, that idiot Holtz decided that there was nothing wrong with splashing around gasoline. Ostensibly the problem was that Holtz became involved in a political campaign in a completely different state (not that they would have countenanced his endorsing an Arkansas political candidate either), but really he got fired for being an idiot.

So Holtz left Arkansas and took over at University of Minnesota. Using the group of losing players he inherited, he instantly fielded a winning football team. Holtz is an idiot off the field, just as Petrino is, but he is - as is Petrino - a great football coach. The only real difference between one year and the next was Holtz. The only real difference between this year and last for Arkansas is Smith, who was hired to be a lame duck. He was placed in a situation where he could not possibly succeed.

So this babbling about how terrible the coaches, Jeff Long, the players, and recruiting is really needs to give way to common sense. We had shots last January at more highly rated linebackers than Vin Ascolese, but we went after Vin instead. But I thought then and thought now that Ascolese had the potential to be a major play maker in the SEC. Will he definitely do that? I don't know. Neither do the whiners. But he is the kind of kid I want on the Razrobacks, a high football IQ (even if he has some issues in classes) kid with a strong family football pedigree, a high degree of athleticism and a tremendous sense for how the play is going to develop. Like I said above, over 50 tackles behind the line of scrimmage. Over 50 tackles for a loss. The kid can play football. He is precisely the kind of player we need, and the problem with our team is that we don't have enough aggressive playmakers on defense like Vin.

But will the whiners please do everyone favor and discuss real problems. Don't label EVERYTHING  a problem. You lose credibility. There is a passage in ALICE IN WONDERLAND where some character asks Alice to recite a poem. She recites "You are old Father William," and at the end the other character says, "It was wrong." Alice concedes that a few words might have been wrong but the person continues, "No, it was wrong from beginning to end." [I'm quoting all this from memory so like Alice I may be getting some of it wrong, but certainly not all of it.] The whiners here are like that. It isn't that some of the program is wrong; all of it is. It becomes obvious that they are just in a nasty mood and are doing nothing but venting. Instead, make solid points. Back them up with real evidence and reasoning instead of broad, blanket assertions that not only can't be supported by facts but flies in the face of them.
You just had to scroll a long way to see what I replied to this.

ki285

Quote from: regi on September 19, 2012, 10:38:31 pm
We have a lot of guys like Ascolese on the defensive depth chart now....how is that working out for us?
yea we dont have one player on defense right now like vin. he is lookin to knock someones head off on every play. he runs through every tackle! can you name one player on our defense that does that?

nattyhypethe3rd

I see a lot of players try to one arm tackle opponents. I just hope Vin does well in school then gets to come here. I think he would be a good player here.

redswarmrising

one other thing about Vin.i believe he will be a huge leader on defense.from what i've gotten from his tweets and what i've seen of his highlights,he seems like the type of guy that will motivate the rest of the defense  :razorback:

the_kosher_pig

Vin Ascolese doesn't arm tackle, he simply hugs harder than the opponent.
Quote from: AlmaHog2011 on August 24, 2012, 11:24:06 am
Or unless your and idiot that is just trying to stir things up.

nattyhypethe3rd

Well last night I saw he re-activated his twitter and retweeted a few Arkansas things and something about a girl's bed being comfy. lol

Break & Run

HE said he'll be here in a couple of months.
Quote from: Michael BernalWhat's your favorite Arkansas tradition?
"I can't be cliché and say 'Call the Hogs,' but I think I have to.  That's just something that sets our university apart.  When you're out on the field and everyone in the stadium stands up, it's amazing.  Even when we're at a football or basketball game, just to see that many people around you doing the same thing for you when you're on the field or for the other guys who are playing, it's pretty awesome."

whosiskid

Quote from: The Mafia on September 25, 2012, 11:56:43 am
HE said he'll be here in a couple of months.

Excellent!

I wrote above that I think he is seriously underrated, but I get the impression that he could be a real leader. We need more people like Tyler Wilson who will call his teammates  down when they aren't getting the job done. I get the sense that Vin wouldn't hesitate to call his teammates to the carpet. We our new commits, with Vin, and with AJ and Peters from last year we have a really nice group of young linebackers. In a couple of years we could actually have a tough defense.

mmhogs17

Only will matter if the new coach wants him.

TeedupHigh

But I thought the great little bobby wanted this kid!  Little bobby could take nobody and them a superstar according to many on this board. Kid must be more than a Stud because little bobby wanted him!!

hogwild210

FaytownHog

Quote from: TeedupHigh on September 25, 2012, 06:35:13 pm
But I thought the great little bobby wanted this kid!  Little bobby could take nobody and them a superstar according to many on this board. Kid must be more than a Stud because little bobby wanted him!!
If you know ANYTHING about football and have seen this kid's tape, you'd know he's the real deal.

FaytownHog

Quote from: mmhogs17 on September 25, 2012, 02:34:49 pm
Only will matter if the new coach wants him.
He's already signed.

nattyhypethe3rd

and I'm sure whoever the new coach is would want him

FaytownHog

FaytownHog

If you can watch this video and say this guy isn't a stud, you're a football idiot. Sign off.

ki285

Quote from: FaytownHog on September 26, 2012, 09:42:42 pm
If you can watch this video and say this guy isn't a stud, you're a football idiot. Sign off.

i have no idea how anyone could watch that and say hes not a stud. we have nobody on our defense that plays with that kind of intensity.

hogwild210

Quote from: FaytownHog on September 26, 2012, 09:42:42 pm

...Kane Whitehurst.

the_kosher_pig

Vin Ascolese doesn't sign on the dotted line.  He simply writes so hard it tears the paper to look like a dotted line.

FaytownHog

Quote from: the_kosher_pig on September 27, 2012, 08:39:32 am
Vin Ascolese doesn't sign on the dotted line.  He simply writes so hard it tears the paper to look like a dotted line.
lol

nattyhypethe3rd

Damn I can't wait till he comes here.  He is what we really need on this defense and he's only going to get stronger and better here with that weight room we have.

the_kosher_pig

We need more speed.  Luckily Vin Ascolese is so fast he can light a fire.........by rubbing two ice cubes together.