Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Whats up with the infatuation with McCurdy?

Started by SiriusHog™, February 05, 2006, 12:20:30 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

twistitup

promise nothing- Noboby promised anything to Ervin. He will have to compete for the job like everyone else. I guess you also believe MM was promised the starting QB job- NO. You cannot judge a freshman based on a several minutes of action early in the season.

If MM does not put up huge numbers his first game are you going to bench him- no. McCurdy proved he has potential or he would not be on scholarship.

Kevin- are you thinking right?
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

Ugly Uncle

Quote from: Kevin on February 06, 2006, 03:04:51 pm
did you not watch him play in the preseason blow outs, not very good.

i knew you would bring matt into this.  this is basketball not football.  he cannot go out there and just make plays. heath does not have that kind of offense.

all the coaches are feeling the heat right now.  they would dtep and say something is he needed to be in the game.

ervin has been promised the starting role or else he doen't come here.  he is not going to transfer to sit behind someone.  so, if mccurdy can give us 8 to 10 minutes a game has backup that will be his job.  look for the hogs to recruit a point next year and that will prove my accuracy.

Okay, that statement just caused you to lose all credibility.  Now I know you are just stirring us up...you don't mean what you say.

I have gone to every game...even the preseason games.  McCurdy ESPECIALLY in the preseason games was the best point guard we had.  No way you could have been there and not realized that this guy could play.  You are just someone trying to stir things up...or lack the ability to see a guy that can really play.
Retired Radio Host

hogtheball

Agreed uglyuncle, McCurdy looked pretty good in pre-season. I had never heard of him before and was excited about his play.  He looked better than anybody else.  We thought he would be starting by conference time.
Did you hear about the dyslexic agnostic with insomnia? He laid awake all night wondering if there really was a dog.

hogtheball

ERvin wasn't promised a starting job! He didn't exactly light the world on fire with his play at MSU.  7 pts. and 4 assists per game (oh, and 1.1 steals).  He shot 38% from the field and 22% from 3-pt. line. It's not like we stole Allen Iverson away from those guys.
Did you hear about the dyslexic agnostic with insomnia? He laid awake all night wondering if there really was a dog.

TDHog

Agreed McCurdy played well in preseason, Even Heath said so.  Kevin, either go to the games and watch before you jump on here with wild acusations or go to some other board to stir up trouble, I am through with you.

12under

Quote from: The Master Of All on February 05, 2006, 12:50:35 pm
The Master can't help but notice a bias on the part of Razorback fans toward the lighter skinned student-athletes.  He notes a much louder reaction when Mr. Hill scores or gets a block, and also notes a consistent desire for Mr. McCurdy to get more playing time in the face of two student-athletes in their final year of eligibility. 
no question about it.  i hear it alot that people want him in because he is a "little white guy".  not that they root against our black players, just like to see a white guy playing ball.  it is becoming increasingly rare to see.  before everyone bashes me for that, its the same reason more and more black people are gravitating toward golf.  the Tiger Woods effect.  not necessarily bad

TDHog

Quote from: 12under on February 06, 2006, 06:06:21 pm
Quote from: The Master Of All on February 05, 2006, 12:50:35 pm
The Master can't help but notice a bias on the part of Razorback fans toward the lighter skinned student-athletes.  He notes a much louder reaction when Mr. Hill scores or gets a block, and also notes a consistent desire for Mr. McCurdy to get more playing time in the face of two student-athletes in their final year of eligibility. 
no question about it.  i hear it alot that people want him in because he is a "little white guy".  not that they root against our black players, just like to see a white guy playing ball.  it is becoming increasingly rare to see.  before everyone bashes me for that, its the same reason more and more black people are gravitating toward golf.  the Tiger Woods effect.  not necessarily bad

That is absurd, I want him in because he understands the point position, has heart, has hustle, and has a huge upside.  I am not saying start him, but he deserves more than 1 min.

hogtheball

I would be calling Sutton after the season if I was McCurdy.

twistitup

Thirty for McCurdy, Thirty for McCurdy, Thirty for McCurdy

OK Stan- how about five, please??

The Master Of All

The Master appreciates healthy dicussion on this topic.  He doesn't appreciate the many sardonic reponses shown in this thread, as the public perception of our University and the behavior of us as the fan base of our University's athletic program are very serious issues.

Mr. BiggusPiggus and Mr. 12under, the Master thinks that you put his point into better words.

Mr. Hawgs4life, your response shows that you hold a race bias.  Judging student-athletes by whether or not other members of their race typically have success in sports, and lobbying for increased playing time for Mr. McCurdy based on that reason is nothing to be proud of.  As for racist "shiite," you should look into a spellchecker, as it appears you have a sect of Islam confused with a curse word.  And on your analysis of the Master, it looks like you have put a lot of thought into his identity.  Hope that time was worth it.
Without me, you people would just be confused.

Kevin

me losing some of you guys creditibility really hurts.  i am not one to come on here to start arguments or just stir things up.  i like real conversation.

First, a division I transfer does not just transfer without really believing he is going to make a big impact on a program (and where do you think they get that idea from).  he has to sit a year per the rules and he is not going to a program where there is a chance he will be sitting.  ervin will start.  write that down and see me next year.

it is my opinion that mccurdy cannot play in the sec from what i have seen,  he is a major liability on defense.  he is not very athletic and his lateral movement is below average.  Look at the other point guards around the league.  athletic and quick.  would you want mccurdy either guarding or being guarded by rondo, t. green of fla. or mario moore of vandy.  the point guard has to be able to keep the ball out of the lane, i don't see mccurdy being able to do that.  if  guards cannot keep the ball out of the lane then your bigs pick up fouls. 

i ask versus uk who did you want him to guard? who did you want him to guard in the usc game? 

Now, i will agree up 15 with 3 to play, he has to play to test what he can do.  so for alot of you there was your answer about the play of mccurdy.  our coaching staff believes and i am with them he cannot help us.

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

hogtheball

I've never heard the coaching staff say anything but positive things about McCurdy.  If they believe he cannot help us, they should tell him so he can transfer. However, Heath keeps commenting on how McCurdy deserves minutes.  If he deserves 'em - and we got the idea from Heath originally - give em to him.  I'd say the same for any player on the team: black, white, chinese, even Texan.

johnny cash

Quote from: jkstock04 on February 05, 2006, 12:43:43 pm
I don't think it's so much an infatuation with McCurdy, I think its Heath giving Jefferson the pt while McCurdy doesn't get jack...and a lot of people on here think Jefferson isn't all that great, me included.  McCurdy can shoot the ball....Jefferson cant.  No I dont think McCurdy is the next Stockton by any means, but at least he can score points if given the chance....I think a starting point guard should score more than 2 or 4 points per game...just my opinion.

dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya

Quote from: uglyuncle on February 06, 2006, 04:02:57 pm
Quote from: Kevin on February 06, 2006, 03:04:51 pm
did you not watch him play in the preseason blow outs, not very good.

i knew you would bring matt into this.  this is basketball not football.  he cannot go out there and just make plays. heath does not have that kind of offense.

all the coaches are feeling the heat right now.  they would dtep and say something is he needed to be in the game.

ervin has been promised the starting role or else he doen't come here.  he is not going to transfer to sit behind someone.  so, if mccurdy can give us 8 to 10 minutes a game has backup that will be his job.  look for the hogs to recruit a point next year and that will prove my accuracy.

Okay, that statement just caused you to lose all credibility.  Now I know you are just stirring us up...you don't mean what you say.

I have gone to every game...even the preseason games.  McCurdy ESPECIALLY in the preseason games was the best point guard we had.  No way you could have been there and not realized that this guy could play.  You are just someone trying to stir things up...or lack the ability to see a guy that can really play.

Can't argue with this.
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

R.I.P. notshavintilnuttgo 12/11/07

hogtheball

Quote from: Kevin on February 06, 2006, 07:53:43 pm
me losing some of you guys creditibility really hurts.  i am not one to come on here to start arguments or just stir things up.  i like real conversation.

First, a division I transfer does not just transfer without really believing he is going to make a big impact on a program (and where do you think they get that idea from).  he has to sit a year per the rules and he is not going to a program where there is a chance he will be sitting.  ervin will start.  write that down and see me next year.

it is my opinion that mccurdy cannot play in the sec from what i have seen,  he is a major liability on defense.  he is not very athletic and his lateral movement is below average.  Look at the other point guards around the league.  athletic and quick.  would you want mccurdy either guarding or being guarded by rondo, t. green of fla. or mario moore of vandy.  the point guard has to be able to keep the ball out of the lane, i don't see mccurdy being able to do that.  if  guards cannot keep the ball out of the lane then your bigs pick up fouls. 

i ask versus uk who did you want him to guard? who did you want him to guard in the usc game? 

Now, i will agree up 15 with 3 to play, he has to play to test what he can do.  so for alot of you there was your answer about the play of mccurdy.  our coaching staff believes and i am with them he cannot help us.

Actually, it looks like the first team All-SEC guard is going to be Sparks from Kentucky.  I bet McCurdy is faster, can jump higher, and could take him wrestling.

hogtheball

On a lighter note, what did you guys think about McCurdy's headband at the SC game? Has he noticed the headband guys play more minutes?  Is it his last resort?

HeathHateMe

How can you mess up this head of hair with a headband.  I think the hair, smile, dreamy eyes, and mad skillz are responsible for the overwhelming man crush.
A hero kills people, people that wish him harm. A hero is part human and part supernatural. A hero is born out of a childhood trauma, or out of a disaster, and must be avenged.

twistitup

no, I think it is hustle, heart, shooting,ball handling,brains,and potential that excites the fans about McCurdy.

We have seen DJ's potential- WOW!!

twistitup

Hardwork321

February 06, 2006, 10:18:51 pm #119 Last Edit: February 06, 2006, 10:22:53 pm by Hardwork321
McCurdy reminds me of Jason.  I can not think of his last name.  Can someone help?

Ugly Uncle

Quote from: Hardwork321 on February 06, 2006, 10:18:51 pm
McCurdy remain me of Jason.  I can think of his last name.  Can someone help?

Jason Gilbert?  And you are wrong...they are nothing at all alike.
Retired Radio Host

Hardwork321

Gilbert!!!   

Quote from: uglyuncle on February 06, 2006, 10:22:42 pm

dmhog v2.0

Well, they have one thing in common.

Ugly Uncle

Quote from: dmhog v2.0 on February 06, 2006, 10:26:00 pm

People weren't clamoring for Gilbert to start and/or play more minutes.  Cannon either.
Retired Radio Host

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: uglyuncle on February 06, 2006, 10:28:46 pm
Quote from: dmhog v2.0 on February 06, 2006, 10:26:00 pm

People weren't clamoring for Gilbert to start and/or play more minutes.  Cannon either.

Or Scott Rose for that matter.  The one thing these guys have in common is that the guys playing ahead of them were light years better and no amount of playing time would change that. 
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

twistitup

dj- light years better than McCurdy!- THERE IS NO WAY.

Hawgz4Life

"Mr. Hawgs4life, your response shows that you hold a race bias.  Judging student-athletes by whether or not other members of their race typically have success in sports, and lobbying for increased playing time for Mr. McCurdy based on that reason is nothing to be proud of.  As for racist "shiite," you should look into a spellchecker, as it appears you have a sect of Islam confused with a curse word.  And on your analysis of the Master, it looks like you have put a lot of thought into his identity.  Hope that time was worth it." - - the master of all

Well, pardner, I guess you got me. Although, the shiite is a filter catch. I typed the word "Shiite" correctly (see the filter just changed it), so thank you for a grammar and Middle Eastern theology lecture. Mr. of all, I am from the Mississippi Delta. Most people don't know it exists, and those who do know about it consider it the toilet of the South. I, however, grew up here and live here. I don't consider myself uneducated, and consider my sense of humor both biting and fearless. I'm sorry you don't get it. If you don't think racism is a two way street, then you should wake up and smell the NAACP. Racism is big business, Jesse and Al grow more and more wealthy from perpetuating it on a daily basis. The Klan is big business too. Hatred and ignorance is profitable. I know what it's like to be called "white folks", and know what it truly means when a black person says it. I also know how ridiculous it is for someone to make judgements on another based solely on thier skin color. You know what? I'm tired of even talking about this....I appreciate the fact that you were able to psychoanalyze me from my short posting and tell me that I'm a bigot. My eyes have been opened and I see the light. I thought this was a sports discussion, anyway.

uagradmom

Calling it an "infatuation" with McCurdy is ridiculous.....what most fans are saying that watch the Hogs play every game is that DJ "ain't gettin' it done" and it's time to try something else.  Especially when Heath is interviewed (like after the Kentucky game) and said "I'm looking at mixing up the starting line-up and using Ferguson and/or McCurdy more, yada, yada, yada."  Doesn't Heath think people remember what they read that HE said????  Bottom line is.....and it has NOTHING to do with RACE....he hasn't given McCurdy a chance, plain and simple.  This kid was the #12 point guard in the nation and recruited by a lot of D1 schools, and where he could've been starting all year.  Why would he be content to sit on the bench at Arkansas where game after game we are only playing mediocre to say the least???  He has talent, brains and the desire that we need on the floor.......as the point guard goes, so goes the team and we're seeing that first hand this year.  It's time for Heath to put up or shut up.  If he has no intention of playing McCurdy then he needs to stop saying he will.......and be ready for McCurdy to hit the road next year to a team where he'll get playing time.  Then Heath will get what he deserves.  Frank, are you listening?????

Kevin

He jumped at our offer so early i am not sure who else recruiting him.  maybe some of our recruiting experts could let us know.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7

12under

Quote from: uagradmom on February 07, 2006, 10:44:13 am
Calling it an "infatuation" with McCurdy is ridiculous.....what most fans are saying that watch the Hogs play every game is that DJ "ain't gettin' it done" and it's time to try something else.  Especially when Heath is interviewed (like after the Kentucky game) and said "I'm looking at mixing up the starting line-up and using Ferguson and/or McCurdy more, yada, yada, yada."  Doesn't Heath think people remember what they read that HE said????  Bottom line is.....and it has NOTHING to do with RACE....he hasn't given McCurdy a chance, plain and simple.  This kid was the #12 point guard in the nation and recruited by a lot of D1 schools, and where he could've been starting all year.  Why would he be content to sit on the bench at Arkansas where game after game we are only playing mediocre to say the least???  He has talent, brains and the desire that we need on the floor.......as the point guard goes, so goes the team and we're seeing that first hand this year.  It's time for Heath to put up or shut up.  If he has no intention of playing McCurdy then he needs to stop saying he will.......and be ready for McCurdy to hit the road next year to a team where he'll get playing time.  Then Heath will get what he deserves.  Frank, are you listening?????
saying that race is not involved for some fans is absolutely not true.  not all ark fans have race in mind, but some definitely do.  dontell makes me sick sometimes, but he does LEAD the league in assists this year and has not played as poorly as he did last year.  and just because you are not getting the playing time you want as a freshman doesnt mean you have to transfer.  if playing time is the only thing involved, he should have gone to UCA or some team on that level

hogtheball

McCurdy was recruited by Villanova, Maryland, UMASS, and Memphis to name just a few.  He narrowed it down (and had hard offers from)  UMASS, Maryland, and UofA.  He chose us over UMASS and Maryland because he thought he would be able to play more his freshman and sophomore seasons.  UMASS and Maryland both have good guards on the court this year. 

hogtheball

I think I would have chosen UMASS if I had been McCurdy.  Travis Ford is the coach and knows a little something about being under-rated because of being small and white.  How many points did Ford score against the UofA his senior season, 60 or so?

Kevin

ford was not the coach at umass when mccurdy came out

Kevin

hogtheball

I forgot, Ford was named after the tournament.  he sure gave Kentucky a scare, didn't he.  Well, McCurdy wasn't as bad a decision-maker as I thought.  I bet he's re-thought that one a couple times this year.

uagradmom

He was recruited by Stanford, I.U., St. Joe, Clemson, Georgia Tech, Ohio State and several top 25 schools.  Schools where he could've gotten playing time.  He was the #12 high school point guard in the US his junior year.  He was promised playing time that he hasn't gotten at Arkansas.  Plain and Simple.....he liked the campus, liked the arena, liked the coaches and wanted to be a Razorback.  That's why he chose Arkansas over the other schools that wanted him.  He's a great kid with a winning attitude.  We need him to stay here four years.  He's one classy fellow.

hogtheball

I want him to stay if he is getting a fair shot at playing time.  If he's not, I'd tell him to transfer if he was my kid. I think he's a good ball player (don't know anything about him as a person).  I'm selfish so I want him to play for the Hogs, but if he was my kid I would want him to consider his options.  Travis Ford or Eddie Sutton would both be looking pretty good right now.  They both need shooting guards that can handle the ball.

uagradmom

If practices are closed how do know how anyone, including McCurdy does in practice?  And, you can stink in a game and still be on the floor most of the 40 minutes, as long as you have a good practice.    Sounds logical.

hogtheball

We only know what the coaches tell us: and Heath has been telling us for weeks how McCurdy deserves more playing time.  He started this whole thing.

SwinerBock

Quote from: twistitup on February 05, 2006, 02:05:37 pm
Dontell has proved nothing besides the fact that he makes bad decisions, and often.

Interesting that you say that.  He DOES lead the team in turnovers at 2.4 per game.

But then, Pookie turns it over at 2.3 per game.  And Brewer at 2.2 per game.  So, I guess DJ is not the only one turning it over often.  Maybe Pookie and Ronnie should give way to Sammy and Preston more often, too.

SwinerBock

Quote from: bigred7987 on February 05, 2006, 03:15:38 pm
Jefferson missed the one and one that would have sealed the Bama game...dont talk about hitting FT's

I realize you are responding to the other guy's argument about DJ hitting free throws timely, but let's not lay the Bama loss entirely at the feet of DJ.  That was a team loss.

Quote from: SwinerBock on February 08, 2006, 12:11:09 am
Quote from: twistitup on February 05, 2006, 02:05:37 pm
Dontell has proved nothing besides the fact that he makes bad decisions, and often.

Interesting that you say that.  He DOES lead the team in turnovers at 2.4 per game.

But then, Pookie turns it over at 2.3 per game.  And Brewer at 2.2 per game.  So, I guess DJ is not the only one turning it over often.  Maybe Pookie and Ronnie should give way to Sammy and Preston more often, too.

1. Picking up your dribble (with NO plan - not intending to shoot, drive or pass)

2. Stopping down the offense

3. Passes that are are difficult to get to and make your teammates leave their good positioning

4. Extreme indecisiveness and nervousness

5. Lack of leadership

All of these things don't show up in the stat book but can be just as harmful and have been the NORM at PG.  Time for a change.

It is time to play McCurdy. 
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

Ugly Uncle

Quote from: SwinerBock on February 08, 2006, 12:14:37 am
Quote from: bigred7987 on February 05, 2006, 03:15:38 pm
Jefferson missed the one and one that would have sealed the Bama game...dont talk about hitting FT's

I realize you are responding to the other guy's argument about DJ hitting free throws timely, but let's not lay the Bama loss entirely at the feet of DJ.  That was a team loss.

You are kidding right?  Sure...win as a team, lose as a team...but come on...no excuse for that foul at the end...none.
Retired Radio Host

SwinerBock

Quote from: dmhog v2.0 on February 05, 2006, 11:49:24 pm
It's because he's white. Racism still exists.

Has nothing to do with the color of his skin.  It has everything to do with people thinking that he may be Bobby Hurley, Jr, reincarnate.  (I know... I know... how can you reincarnate someone that is still alive....)  We kept hearing about how he played for Hurley Sr.  How he showed flashes of toughness, ran his team to perfection, blah, blah, blah.

Great.  Glad to hear it.  I hope he turns out to be everything people think he is and more.  But, unless DJ is failing in every facet of the game (ie, offense AND defense), I do not see him losing that many minutes of PT to a freshman.

Quote from: SwinerBock on February 08, 2006, 12:28:03 am
Quote from: dmhog v2.0 on February 05, 2006, 11:49:24 pm
It's because he's white. Racism still exists.

Has nothing to do with the color of his skin.  It has everything to do with people thinking that he may be Bobby Hurley, Jr, reincarnate.  (I know... I know... how can you reincarnate someone that is still alive....)  We kept hearing about how he played for Hurley Sr.  How he showed flashes of toughness, ran his team to perfection, blah, blah, blah.

Great.  Glad to hear it.  I hope he turns out to be everything people think he is and more.  But, unless DJ is failing in every facet of the game (ie, offense AND defense), I do not see him losing that many minutes of PT to a freshman.

I like DJ, but him and Ferguson are not PG's and they have shown it.  McCurdy is the only one who has shown evidence of having the ability to QB the team.  He needs more time on the floor.