Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Takeaways from today's game

Started by -Blu, December 20, 2014, 10:39:38 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

-Blu

I thought overall we played a good game, we looked a little sluggish at times, but overall a well played game.

Pros

1. You can tell since the second half of Clemson, it's been stressed to run the offense through Portis, everytime SEMO would make a run, we would get it to Portis and get control of the game.  That Clemson game may be something we look at later in the year, as a key turnaround for our team.  It really made Bobby demand the ball more and become the leader of the team after that loss.

2. I'm glad Mike stuck with Durham and Williams in the starting lineup, Williams compliments Portis very well, and Durham just keeps everything under control and knows how to get the ball in the right spot. I Would like to see Durham do a little more though, he has opportunities to score when he gets in the lane, he's being a little too unselfish at times.

3. Harris is really playing well off the bench, seems to be a better fit for him.  Really letting the game come to him and playing within the offense. 

4.  We took SEMO's best shot in the second half, never panicked and finished the game strong, and that's good to see us do away from Bud Walton arena.

Cons

1. Like I said earlier at times we were really sluggish, in first and second half, I'm just knit picking here, but like to see that cleaned up before conference play.

2. Madden.... He was suppose to be in my "pros list" he played a very good game, but that technical foul, in a situation he wasn't even involved in during SEMO's run.... it almost erased all the good he did.  Really want to see him mature, he's a great player, good basketball IQ, and one of our best play makers, but sometimes with him you just scratch your head on some of the decisions he makes.  I thought CMA was about to jack him up on the sidelines, you don't usually see Mike get that fired up.

Biggus Piggus

I liked how the team got fired up after the technicals.
[CENSORED]!

-Blu

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on December 20, 2014, 10:43:35 pm

Mike was more fired up at Madden than the team was.

Like the guy who was calling the game that was a former coach (forgot his name), if this was a game on the road against tougher competition getting that technical would have been very costly.  Those 2 free throws that was given cut the lead to 8, and SEMO already had the momentum.  Guys complain about our road performance, doing things like that is what gets your team beat on the road, luckily SEMO didn't have the firepower to capitalize.

elksnort

Portis is the man. 

It would be great to see Portis paired with a wide body down low. 

Not to mention a pg

razortv

Alot of work left to do. Half court defense still weak and press is token at best. When offense runs through Portis we look good, but then we go away from it for unknown reasons. Durham and Beard should get more minutes to ensure offense continues to run through Portis.

elksnort

I keep thinking and hoping that Anton will become the point guard we need. 

Paul

Quote from: -Blu on December 20, 2014, 10:49:00 pm
Mike was more fired up at Madden than the team was.

Like the guy who was calling the game that was a former coach (forgot his name), if this was a game on the road against tougher competition getting that technical would have been very costly.  Those 2 free throws that was given cut the lead to 8, and SEMO already had the momentum.  Guys complain about our road performance, doing things like that is what gets your team beat on the road, luckily SEMO didn't have the firepower to capitalize.
Darrin Horn played at WKU & coached at USC-E.  Said early in the game we'd have to "learn" how to play half court to win on the road.  Sounds pretty knowledgable.

Paul

The SEMO coach looks like Nutt, only thinner.

Jborohog09

Quote from: Paul on December 20, 2014, 11:14:06 pm

That's because he's HDN's brother, Dickey Nutt.

chiefhawg

Quote from: Paul on December 20, 2014, 11:14:06 pm
He is Nutt. Just Dickey. Brothers have a tendency to look like each other.

lefty08

for the first time this year im gonna say it........i think Beard is ready to be our PG. the kid has a certain toughness about him that im starting to really like.

PS to the shitbag who decided to break my truck window out and ransack my truck, thanks for keeping my 5 year old up an extra 2 hours while i waited for the police officer to get to my parking spot. Also thank you for not taking anything but my phone chargers, and bleeding all over my truck seats. also a shoutout to wendys for taking my money to park then not having any security whatsoever in the parking lot. Good stuff
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

JIHawg

In SEC away games, we will not get away with the fouling, body contact, and hand-checking we do on the press and on defense.  It will disrupt our rhythm and prevent us from getting into good flows.  This happens every year, and some years we've had the talent to overcome it.  I'm still not sure we have that this year.

TheRazorback500

Good win, but we allowed too many guys to drive deeply into our defense, which led to many easy layups or kickout jumpers. We were slow to get a hand in the face of the shooters; luckily they weren't hitting from outside. It was good to have plenty to work on while still winning comfortably.

:razorback:
Do you wanna get Rocked?

Hogfaniam

Quote from: lefty08 on December 21, 2014, 12:02:08 am
for the first time this year im gonna say it........i think Beard is ready to be our PG. the kid has a certain toughness about him that im starting to really like.

PS to the shitbag who decided to break my truck window out and ransack my truck, thanks for keeping my 5 year old up an extra 2 hours while i waited for the police officer to get to my parking spot. Also thank you for not taking anything but my phone chargers, and bleeding all over my truck seats. also a shoutout to wendys for taking my money to park then not having any security whatsoever in the parking lot. Good stuff

Same scam is run in Memphis.  Charge you, case your car after you leave, then a buddy comes by to do the dirty.
"My dog Sam eats purple flowers"

JIHawg

Quote from: lefty08 on December 21, 2014, 12:02:08 am

Sorry that happened, man.  It's always a risk to park near the V.

JIHawg

I like how Bell made the shot to end the first half.  I kept yelling "get Madden out of there" but it didn't matter.  Madden needs to be on the bench at the end of the game.

Tick Hog

Quote from: elksnort on December 20, 2014, 10:55:16 pm
I keep thinking and hoping that Anton will become the point guard we need. 
I like the way he handles himself and believe with time he will

Kevin

Typical after finals win. Very good at times and sluggish at others.

Really like madden & Harris of the bench. Portis now runs the first unit, they run the unit when portis is not in there.   

Madden needs to just play the t was stupid. 

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

flippinhogmana

Quote from: Kevin on December 21, 2014, 06:57:18 am
Typical after finals win. Very good at times and sluggish at others.

Really like madden & Harris of the bench. Portis now runs the first unit, they run the unit when portis is not in there.   

Madden needs to just play the t was stupid.

Technicals do need to be avoided most of the time, but I have to say that I think that officiating crew had a chip on their shoulder, particularly against Arkansas.  I thought they had a hair trigger on the first t, but I gave them that for their need to control the game (although I didn't think the game had the slightest hint of getting out of control, refs feel the need to nip things in the bud even when they shouldn't). 

I thought in both cases making it a double technical was unprofessional and favored SEMO.  I think Madden got the t for next to nothing.  Ever heard of refs having rabbit ears?  Madden does play like a duffus sometimes, but he also has a knack of getting to the line and getting us points late in the game or half better than the other guards. I think skywalker (Michael Qualls) is picking up on it though.
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

Kevin

Mike Anderson did not think it was nothing. Cannot put yourself in that situation
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

mhuff

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on December 20, 2014, 10:43:35 pm

It's the coach's job to get the T's to fire up the troops. Not that easy.... I have walked out on the court trying to get a T and the refs wouldn't call one.

mhuff

December 21, 2014, 06:32:45 pm #21 Last Edit: December 22, 2014, 01:20:34 pm by mhuff
I thought obviously that Portis played well. Notice any game that the guards start wanting to pad their scoring totals instead of going through him first, we suffer. I don't care if we are playing Ky or Ca. or whoever, the ball has to go inside first unless you want your brains beat out. Notice SEMO started a comeback when we stopped playing winning BB .I don't think the 2 for 30 on 3's against Ca. in the NIT's served us well. If you are a coach and you allow your players to play that kind of ball, you need to be back coaching at the YMCA or church league. Ball has to go inside first.

Ky Madden played well last night. He made some nice passes. If only he had learned his role on the team when he first came. When Madden or Qualls or anyone dribble dribble dribble bad things are gonna happen. They either turn the ball over or get trapped. The faster we move the ball passing the better we will be.

I believe MA did a good job last night; however, I wish he were more vocal and had gotten the T.

I haven't looked at the stats, but Beard played a very good game. Reflect back on the assists he gave up when he could have made the basket.... Mighty selfless..... also he took a charge as did a couple others. I believe he stole the ball giving back side help when the ball went down low.My kind of player.

The one thing that sticks in my mind that would drive me crazy is the lack of defense on transition or just defense in general. Babb is about the only one that will consistently stop penetration. I believe anyone who can't stop his man is a liability and shouldn't be on the floor. What good does it do for you to score 10 if your opponent scores 20?

Qualls played hard as well and got us going after we had stalled. He made FT's when we were especially needing them and got a bunch of rebounds. Bell played a solid game as well.... scored and gave a couple of assists.

naturalbornpigger

I wasn't pleased with our play.  We shot the ball pretty well, so we won.  I'm discouraged, however, that we didn't show any "inside-out" play.  We are running our offense too far from the paint.  Little to no action along the baseline. 

Relying on the perimeter jump shot will kill you on the road - which we have witnessed.  We've got to figure out how to get easy shots. - more points in the paint from a half court set.  It will help us win when we don't shoot well.

HF#1

I saw Houston Dale at the game.  He was blocking the stairs leading to my seat.  Talking to some old dude that looked really familiar to me.  I waited for a good time to interrupt and got to my seats.  He was friendly. I thought it was interesting that he was there.  I suppose with Brother coaching in LR, family still lives here and it's the holidays, it wasn't that surprising. 

As far as the game was concerned, I thought it was a very LR type performance.  Any team that would have been marginally better than SEMO would have gave us a game.  Qualls had a stupidly athletic dunk, again.  That loss to Houston still pains me and I'm still upset with Harris for putting up 18 in that game against us. 

The crowd was amazing though.  It's nice that the hogs can depend on central Arkansas putting a satisfactory amount of asses in the seats and those asses being loud. 

We will go as far as Portis and our guard play will take us.  I hate that we have to wait a couple weeks before we go to Athens.  I wish that game was tomorrow. 
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

Pork Twain

The first two years, Madden was my least favorite player from that class, but last year he really seemed to turn it around and become much more of a leader.  I cannot think of a time where a player regressed like this between their Jr and Sr years, but hopefully he can get back on track.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

lefty08

Quote from: Pork Twain on December 22, 2014, 06:26:45 am
The first two years, Madden was my least favorite player from that class, but last year he really seemed to turn it around and become much more of a leader.  I cannot think of a time where a player regressed like this between their Jr and Sr years, but hopefully he can get back on track.

I'll take 9 points and 6 assists a game from Madden...
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

hawgfan4life

Not sure KM regressed as much as rest of team matured and improved.

nwahogfan1

Quote from: TheRazorback500 on December 21, 2014, 12:08:59 am
Good win, but we allowed too many guys to drive deeply into our defense, which led to many easy layups or kickout jumpers. We were slow to get a hand in the face of the shooters; luckily they weren't hitting from outside. It was good to have plenty to work on while still winning comfortably.

:razorback:
Totally agreed.  We are in complete agreement.  I am afraid if we don't get this corrected by SEC  then it will cost us several wins.  Lets hope Mike can show them the video and get it corrected.

mhuff

Quote from: naturalbornpigger on December 21, 2014, 07:33:46 pm
I wasn't pleased with our play.  We shot the ball pretty well, so we won.  I'm discouraged, however, that we didn't show any "inside-out" play.  We are running our offense too far from the paint.  Little to no action along the baseline. 

Relying on the perimeter jump shot will kill you on the road - which we have witnessed.  We've got to figure out how to get easy shots. - more points in the paint from a half court set.  It will help us win when we don't shoot well.

Natural, I feel your pain. We lost our edge when we stopped going inside. Seems like MA would tell the guards to take it inside or pack your bags. Who cares who scores the points. High % shots beat low % shots. Plus, the inside man can shoot or pass. You need for the ball to get inside by someone to kick it out for a 3 if so desired.

Hogfaniam

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on December 22, 2014, 09:47:33 am
Totally agreed.  We are in complete agreement.  I am afraid if we don't get this corrected by SEC  then it will cost us several wins.  Lets hope Mike can show them the video and get it corrected.

It's been going on all year

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: naturalbornpigger on December 21, 2014, 07:33:46 pm

Stop whining.  We won.  Move on.

(Even if everything you say is true and on point.)
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

naturalbornpigger

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on December 22, 2014, 03:23:49 pm
Stop whining.  We won.  Move on.

(Even if everything you say is true and on point.)
Well, I really do wish I could move on.  I often feel like I have "battered fan syndrome."  I just can't leave no matter how bad it gets.  I believe in how good it could be.

But I was here before Mike Anderson.  Before Pelfrey.  Before Heath.  Before Nolan Richardson.  And I'll be here after.  Good times or bad. 

Merry Christmas!  Go Hogs!

GuvHog

Quote from: mhuff on December 22, 2014, 12:20:50 pm
Natural, I feel your pain. We lost our edge when we stopped going inside. Seems like MA would tell the guards to take it inside or pack your bags. Who cares who scores the points. High % shots beat low % shots. Plus, the inside man can shoot or pass. You need for the ball to get inside by someone to kick it out for a 3 if so desired.

The Hogs went inside-out several times last night and were successful at it. Milwaukee was forced to double team Portis down low leaving other Hogs open for jumpers. They just need to do it more.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: naturalbornpigger on December 23, 2014, 10:50:22 am
Well, I really do wish I could move on.  I often feel like I have "battered fan syndrome."  I just can't leave no matter how bad it gets.  I believe in how good it could be.

But I was here before Mike Anderson.  Before Pelfrey.  Before Heath.  Before Nolan Richardson.  And I'll be here after.  Good times or bad. 

Merry Christmas!  Go Hogs!

I feel ya, for sure.  Tons of potential.

And I was here before Eddie Sutton.  Not before Lanny Van Eman, but I came in with Lanny and Almer and Dean and Martin.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

Hogfaniam

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on December 23, 2014, 10:59:56 am
I feel ya, for sure.  Tons of potential.

And I was here before Eddie Sutton.  Not before Lanny Van Eman, but I came in with Lanny and Almer and Dean and Martin.

If this team had someone who could put it in the hole like Martin Terry....

hoghiker

Quote from: chiefhawg on December 20, 2014, 11:31:21 pm
He is Nutt. Just Dickey. Brothers have a tendency to look like each other.
My brother is a big fat, ugly looking dude. I'm beautiful.

Cresthog

Madden hasn't regressed. He's an intense guy that competes hard and tries to channel that by doing too much.

This team is different than last year and its going to take him a bit to figure out his role, but I'm confident he will. He did last year, just as last years team was much different than his sophomore year when BJ Young ran the show.

He's going to win us some games this year. How easily everyone forgets how he did that last year, on more than one occasion. Clemson was forgettable for him but I'll give him that game if he delivers down the stretch.

The easiest way for me to describe how I feel is there are guys like Bell and there are guys like Madden. As much as I like Bell, I take Madden all day long when picking between the two.

hog golf

Didnt see the game. What did madden do?
I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize