Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Redshirting

Started by -Blu, April 06, 2013, 10:11:48 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

-Blu

One thing I've heard a little bit about from top programs during the tournament is players that have redshirted and became better players from it.  2 names that stuck out to me was Kelly Olynyk of Gonzaga and Caris Levert  of Michigan.  Olynyk redshirted going into his junior year, because they had a crowed front court, and now he is projected to be a lottery pick in this year's draft.  Caris Levert was a redshirt earlier this year, he wasn't anticipated to get many minutes in Michigan's backcourt, but he started to impress at practice, so he and the coach decided to burn the redshirt.

With that said,  Does anyone know if Coach MA likes to redshirt players? It seems like with the system he has and as many players as he plays he would encourage some players to redshirt every now and then.

I would personally like to see Dee Wagner (if he doesn't transfer) and JaCorey Williams redshirt.  These are 2 guys that I don't think are quite ready to play big minutes, however they've showed enough promise to where they could potentially be good players with time.  Let's be honest, unless Dee Wagner just gets crazy good in the offseason he's not going to get much playing time, he's behind 3 seniors and a junior next year, it's going to be really hard to get him into the rotation.  I would like to see him battle it out with the 2014 class for playing time at the PG spot.  And Jacorey Williams is going to be in the same situation, he plays the 3/4 position.  If we get Jamal Jones, he's going to be competing against Qualls, Clarke, Jones, Michelson, Harris, and Porter for playing time, and I honestly think he's probably the most likely in that bunch not to get many minutes.

pigture perfect

Be careful with spelling, you might end up with a very funny thread called "Redcrapping" because of spell correct. If you haven't read it, it is a must read for all Hogvillians. Top 10 of all time.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

Fayettechill14

Wagner should have redshirted this year IMO. As soon as it became apparent that he wasn't a quick fix at PG they should have shut him down, as long as it was 20% or less through the year.

CDBHawg

I don't see too much of a need in basketball to have a redshirt method, unless injury.

If we redshirt a lot of guys, in basketball it just means you're not recruiting too well.

Spider-Pig

You rarely see players redshirt in basketball

pigture perfect

The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

Ironhawg

Quote from: HoginClinton on April 06, 2013, 10:38:43 pm
Is this it?

http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=281791.0

I'd never seen this thread before.  It is hilarious!  I'm laughing so hard I can barely read it on my phone!

nextlevel

Coach Z tweeted something on this topic the other day:

Matt Zimmerman ‏@CoachZ_ARKANSAS 5 Apr
Just attended a good Assistant Coaches meeting. In 2016 all coaches, players, and fans are going to know a lot about "Academic Redshirts".
Quote from: GUVHOG on March 07, 2011, 11:26:42 am
I'll make a prediction: If BCG were to get the Tennessee job, Calipari will be fired from UK within 2 years because from the 2013-2014 season on, Tennessee will own the SEC East until BCG moves on or retires.

ell oh ell

RockChalkJayhawk

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/recruiting/football/story/_/id/7885522/new-incoming-eligibility-standards-create-term

"For the class of college athletes who will enroll in 2016 -- these students will start high school in a few months -- the changes are, indeed, significant. Current initial-eligibility standards require entering freshmen to graduate high school with 16 core courses passed and a minimum 2.0 GPA matched with an ACT or SAT score on a sliding scale.

The 2016 standards mandate the same 16 core courses but stipulate that 10 must be completed by the start of the student's senior year of high school and that all 16 are finished in four years. So effectively say goodbye to the practice popular in basketball of reclassifying to enjoy a fifth year of high school.

And the minimum GPA jumps to 2.3."