Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Last time we played a game this late?

Started by Pulled(PP)pork, September 21, 2016, 07:07:26 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Pulled(PP)pork

I was taken by surprise our game is scheduled so late, had to take a double look.

Would you consider this time slot a prime time slot?  I would think most of America would be out dining or doing things with friends and family.....other than diehard Hog and Aggie fans

PP

TXArcher

I don't recall a start this late, I'm going to have to hold off on the midday beer and grab a power nap to stay up until game over. Imagine how late it would be with a few OTs?

SPAL

College football fans don't do anything but watch college football on Saturday. Make no mistake, this is prime time. Most fans will have already watched their team play that day and will tune in for a good football game.

hogcard1964

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on September 21, 2016, 07:45:28 am
College football fans don't do anything but watch college football on Saturday. Make no mistake, this is prime time. Most fans will have already watched their team play that day and will tune in for a good football game.

Yep, good thing about it is all the soccer games, shopping, yard work is out of the way by 8:00.  Nothing going on then except college football.  Great time also to be at a sports bar and get your drink on.  It's not like people have to work the next day and you can always catch the late service at church although at ours it's the "contemporary service"  Dear Pastor Tim, you are not Eddie Van Halen, put the electric guitar down.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

Locutus_of_Boar

Quote from: TXArcher on September 21, 2016, 07:41:25 am
I don't recall a start this late, I'm going to have to hold off on the midday beer and grab a power nap to stay up until game over. Imagine how late it would be with a few OTs?

I'm thinking maybe the 1973 game at USC or the one there in 2005 would have started this late.  There was a game at Hawaii back in the Hatfield era but I think that game was played in the daytime.

The Boar War

Seems like the UGA game a few years ago got started pretty late.  Of course that game on the west coast was a late one even if it was "over" by 9:30.

Pulled(PP)pork

gonna have the fans worked up to a fever pitch, those attending, and really drunk and broke

the price of alcohol is silly

Pulled

GuvHog

Quote from: Locutus_of_Boar on September 21, 2016, 08:06:21 am
I'm thinking maybe the 1973 game at USC or the one there in 2005 would have started this late.  There was a game at Hawaii back in the Hatfield era but I think that game was played in the daytime.

I don't remember the year but it was during the Houston Nutt era one year it was so Hot that the kickoff for the first game of the season was moved from 7 PM up to 8 PM. The game was in LR. I sat in the corner of the end zone where the big score board is and I remember there were a couple of TV Station helicopters circling the stadium during the game stirring up a breeze so people wouldn't pass out from the heat.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

DiamondHogFan

Athog

👍

razorbackmarine

2005 at USC on the west coast was 8 or even 9pm Central Time.

Pulled(PP)pork

Quote from: GuvHog on September 21, 2016, 08:25:03 am
I don't remember the year but it was during the Houston Nutt era one year it was so Hot that the kickoff for the first game of the season was moved from 7 PM up to 8 PM. The game was in LR. I sat in the corner of the end zone where the big score board is and I remember there were a couple of TV Station helicopters circling the stadium during the game stirring up a breeze so people wouldn't pass out from the heat.
helicopters were dispatched to create a breeze?

PP

Prestworthy

9:00 kickoff for me. Hopefully be in bed by 1:00!

VirginiaHog

ghg1

The 2014 Texas Bowl versus the Longhorns started at 8pm CT (on a Monday night).

EastexHawg

Quote from: Pulled(PP)pork on September 21, 2016, 08:44:02 am
helicopters were dispatched to create a breeze?

PP

I think they were actually there shooting footage of the stadium and the crowd, but the breeze they created was welcome anyway.  There was a guy who had to have weighed over 400 pounds sitting beside us sweating a river.  He was there when we got there and I couldn't figure out how he made it to his seat.

The game was against SW Missouri State.  I remember a long TD pass from Robbie Hampton to Boo Williams and little else.  It was a typical early season snoozer, maybe even a shutout.

Pork Ranger

ke2743

This... We should have a great viewing audience for this game.

DiamondHogFan

Quote from: ke2743 on September 21, 2016, 09:08:03 am
And we will be the last thing on the pollsters minds going into Sunday...good or bad.  Let's make it good!

hobhog

We played Texas in RRS last time and it may have been a 9pm kickoff?

ricepig

DiamondHogFan

Quote from: ricepig on September 21, 2016, 09:53:28 am
Actually kickoff is 8:15.

https://twitter.com/BobHoltADG/status/778586082845655040
Yeah, with Auburn/LSU at 5pm on ESPN, no way we get started on time.  I would expect 8:30.  That 5PM game will be painful to watch and probably drag on forever.  Unless they start us on a different ESPN channel.

hogcard1964

Quote from: ke2743 on September 21, 2016, 09:08:03 am

Off topic, but who is that in your avatar?  ...and where can I find that gif?  That's great!

Pulled(PP)pork

Quote from: hogcard1964 on September 21, 2016, 10:12:33 am
Off topic, but who is that in your avatar?  ...and where can I find that gif?  That's great!
you need help finding avatars and gif's?? 

PP

rzrbkman

The 2006 home opener against USC was scheduled for 8:15 kickoff but it was around 8:30 before it started. Game lasted until just before midnight and it was 2:00 A.M. before we were able to exit the Baum Stadium parking lot.

Smokehouse

Works out for me, I'm teaching a weekend bureaucracy class this semester that isn't done until later on Saturday so now I'll still have time to comfortably get home and get something to eat. Shout out to ESPN for putting the late game on the one day it works out for me :D
QuoteSometimes a warrior just has to lay down on the ground there for a minute and just have a good bleed. Just bleed.

Words of wisdom from John Pelphrey.

Smokehouse

Quote from: rzrbkman on September 21, 2016, 10:37:28 am
The 2006 home opener against USC was scheduled for 8:15 kickoff but it was around 8:30 before it started. Game lasted until just before midnight and it was 2:00 A.M. before we were able to exit the Baum Stadium parking lot.

That was my first game as a member of the RMB, so I was stuck in the stadium for a long time after doing our post-game stuff. I was lived in Pomfret at the time and as I was walking south of the stadium to get back I remember seeing a guy, by himself, walking down the sidewalk and just shouting into at nobody "it was supposed to be different this year! It wasn't supposed to be this way!"
QuoteSometimes a warrior just has to lay down on the ground there for a minute and just have a good bleed. Just bleed.

Words of wisdom from John Pelphrey.

Dominicanhog

Quote from: rzrbkman on September 21, 2016, 10:37:28 am

hadn't most of the crowd left by 4th qtr?

GunnerHawg70

Quote from: VirginiaHog on September 21, 2016, 08:50:34 am
Yep. 9pm for us east coast fans.

Yah VirginiaHog, I'm right there with ya!!!  I'll be at a local Virginia Beach establishment drowning myself in wings and beer...UBER is my friend! :razorback:

CarsRFun

WPS! From Chesapeake =)  ... someone should organize a 757 watch party one game!

Quote from: GunnerHawg70 on September 21, 2016, 11:57:13 am
Yah VirginiaHog, I'm right there with ya!!!  I'll be at a local Virginia Beach establishment drowning myself in wings and beer...UBER is my friend! :razorback:

razorbrock

Ole Miss 7OT game was at 8pm on ESPN2, if memory serves, and ran well past midnight.  Schedules have changed since then, though, and many more channels are available for broadcasting.

**Kentucky OT game may have been 8pm as well.
"I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle." ~Winston Churchill

rzrbkman

Quote from: Dominicanhog on September 21, 2016, 11:25:58 am
hadn't most of the crowd left by 4th qtr?

No, it seemed like it was still pretty much full by the time the game ended. There were a lot of extra people also on campus that could not even get in the game.

DeltaBoy

It been a while but I don't like it.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

AirForceHog

This is the game that everyone is just sitting at bars and watching football usually with no affiliation to either team. They typically want just to see a good game.
If it turns, burns, banks or rolls, crew chiefs made it happen.

rzrbkman

Quote from: razorbrock on September 21, 2016, 12:14:01 pm
Ole Miss 7OT game was at 8pm on ESPN2, if memory serves, and ran well past midnight.  Schedules have changed since then, though, and many more channels are available for broadcasting.

**Kentucky OT game may have been 8pm as well.

The Arkansas-Ole Miss game kicked off at 6:06 p.m. and ended at 10:20 p.m. per official online boxscore that I googled. I remember that it wasn't a late game. One site indicated the Arkansas-Kentucky game began at 6:05 but no ending time was listed.

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

riccoar

I'm guessing the local hotels are booked solid with such a late start.

rzrbkman

Quote from: DeltaBoy on September 21, 2016, 02:45:29 pm
I like the 2:30 slot the best.

I like night games through October, then day games in November.

southhog

Didn't we play miss state @ 8pm in little rock 1999

Papawhog

Think about this... the LSU-Auburn game is on at 5pm right in front of us. Odds are that game will go over 3 hours, as a lot of  games do, right ? Hopefully we get an alternate channel so that we won't miss half the 1st quarter.

ricepig

Quote from: Papawhog on September 21, 2016, 03:12:46 pm
Think about this... the LSU-Auburn game is on at 5pm right in front of us. Odds are that game will go over 3 hours, as a lot of  games do, right ? Hopefully we get an alternate channel so that we won't miss half the 1st quarter.

Seriously, how many times in the last few years since the SEC Network came about have we not been able to see a game? They'll find somewhere to show it.

FraggleHog

Quote from: riccoar on September 21, 2016, 02:47:41 pm
I'm guessing the local hotels are booked solid with such a late start.

The game is in DFW... There will be open rooms. Maybe not right there by the stadium, but there'll be rooms a short Uber ride away.
Calling the Hogs from DFW

factchecker

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

longpig

Quote from: Papawhog on September 21, 2016, 03:12:46 pm

That game should move pretty fast.
Don't be scared, be smart.

ricepig

Quote from: longpig on September 21, 2016, 05:08:55 pm
That game should move pretty fast.

Yeah, LSU isn't going to throw too many passes, of course, they won't connect on 50% of those, so the clock will stop.....

RazorbackRon

Quote from: ricepig on September 21, 2016, 09:53:28 am
Actually kickoff is 8:15.

We'll be at the game and figure we'll be lucky to be back at our hotel by 1am.
Everyone is someone else's weirdo

This is the CENTRAL SCRUTINIZER...it is my responsibility to enforce all the laws that haven't been passed yet.

bennyl08

I like the late game. Gives me a chance to actually watch the beavers in person, drink some more, then watch the hogs!
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

RaisinHog

Will have to pace myself on the beer for sure