Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Random Thoughts from Troy game

Started by HognitiveDissonance, December 16, 2017, 11:06:00 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

HognitiveDissonance

Great crowd, completely packed.
I almost nailed the score. Final was 88-63 and I said 91-66. Good.
The bad was I said Gafford was excited to see his mom and would show out. Actually, this was probably one of his worst games. Looked out of sorts all night, bricked several free throws, committed a lot of fouls. Probably trying too hard.

Macon was The Man. 25 points. His offense snapped Hogs out of little funks several times. Beard had a nice game too.
Barford didn't, but they didn't need it.

Adrio Bailey should get more minutes. His energy is contagious. He had 3 or 4 monster dunks in this game.
Starting lineup should probably be Macon, Barford, Beard, Gafford, and Bailey.
First guys off the bench should be Thompson and Jones, then Hall.

Troy came out hot, have got some nice shooters. So I thought it was a good move to switch to man-to-man in the first half. They couldn't get as many open looks, and it made them funnel to the big guys more. After that switch we took off.

After 20 point halftime lead, the second half was lethargic, until an exciting flurry at the end. Johnathan Holmes drained a long 3 and the place erupted. Then a loose ball was picked up by Bailey who finished the game with a highlight dunk. Bailey is Michael Qualls without the jump shot.

Gafford not only fouls a lot, but he never really gets his money's worth on his fouls. They're nearly all meaningless fouls. I wish he would bludgeon somebody instead of getting all these knick-knack arm swipes and body contact fouls. He'll learn to just stretch that huge arm-span to challenge shots instead of getting body close enough for contact. Just block the shot, or alter it. No contact.

Verizon needs an update. Scoreboard is now out-of-date, and sound system is bad. Fix those two things and it's fine.

rtr

Barford does a lot of good things that are not reflected in the box score.
The more smites the more intelligent I get.

daprospecta

December 16, 2017, 11:16:39 pm #2 Last Edit: December 16, 2017, 11:28:50 pm by daprospecta
Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on December 16, 2017, 11:06:00 pm
The bad was I said Gafford was excited to see his mom and would show out. Actually, this was probably one of his worst games. Looked out of sorts all night, bricked several free throws, committed a lot of fouls. Probably trying too hard.

Macon was The Man. 25 points. His offense snapped Hogs out of little funks several times. Beard had a nice game too.

Adrio Bailey should get more minutes. His energy is contagious. He had 3 or 4 monster dunks in this game.

Troy came out hot, have got some nice shooters. So I thought it was a good move to switch to man-to-man in the first half. They couldn't get as many open looks, and it made them funnel to the big guys more. After that switch we took off.

After 20 point halftime lead, the second half was lethargic, until an exciting flurry at the end. Johnathan Holmes drained a long 3 and the place erupted. Then a loose ball was picked up by Bailey who finished the game with a highlight dunk. Bailey is Michael Qualls without the jump shot.

Gafford not only fouls a lot, but he never really gets his money's worth on his fouls. They're nearly all meaningless fouls. I wish he would bludgeon somebody instead of getting all these knick-knack arm swipes and body contact fouls. He'll learn to just stretch that huge arm-span to challenge shots instead of getting body close enough for contact. Just block the shot, or alter it. No contact.

Verizon needs an update. Scoreboard is now out-of-date, and sound system is bad. Fix those two things and it's fine.
Correct me if I'm wrong but Qualls didn't become a dependable shooter until his junior year.  Adrio has already added driving ability this off-season.  I'm sure he could work on his shot this upcoming off-season.

Ugly Uncle

Quote from: daprospecta on December 16, 2017, 11:16:39 pm
Correct me if I'm wrong but Qualls didn't become a dependable shooter until his junior year.  Adrio has already added driving ability this off-season.  I'm sure he could work on his shot this off-season.

This is correct. His last year was really shocking how good his shot became.  Well, compared to where it had been.
Retired Radio Host

blu

"But it is no shame to suffer for being a Christian. Praise God for the privilege of being called by His name!"  I Peter 4:16

BannerMountainMan

Why wo people forget about Thomas so easily. Smh you saying Hall before Thomas wth
"Michael Qualls with the dunk at the buzzer, it goes and Arkansas wins, it goes and Arkansas wins"

AirWarren

Adrio Bailey looks like he has become a serious threat.

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: BannerMountainMan on December 17, 2017, 12:01:42 am
Why wo people forget about Thomas so easily. Smh you saying Hall before Thomas wth
I did totally forget about Thomas.
I'm not sure why. He does some good things.
Guess I would still like to see Bailey in the starting lineup, though.

About Qualls, you guys are right about him not showing a pretty good 3-pt shot until later, but right now I'm not seeing Bailey ever developing that kind of range. Haven't seen anything that would indicate that is coming down the road, but we'll see...

1highhog

There are no games played at Verizon anymore so it's hard to spring for a new scoreboard for just one basketball game a year.   

Yes indeed, the sound system needs replacement, it has never been any good.  There are a lot of events held in Verizon and they should install a sound system because of this.

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: 1highhog on December 17, 2017, 04:50:30 pm
There are no games played at Verizon anymore so it's hard to spring for a new scoreboard for just one basketball game a year.   

Yes indeed, the sound system needs replacement, it has never been any good.  There are a lot of events held in Verizon and they should install a sound system because of this.
I figure all the concerts they have, the bands have their own sound system and don't need anything Verizon has. So it gets back to your point about few basketball games and needing to hear the PA announcer.
I've wondered that often about War Memorial. One would thinking improving a sound system would be one of the cheaper things you could do. WMS has speakers on the south end zone only. How hard is it to wire some nice speakers on the north end? And how expensive is it to improve the sound quality at Verizon?

Swinesong1

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on December 17, 2017, 04:54:18 pm
I figure all the concerts they have, the bands have their own sound system and don't need anything Verizon has. So it gets back to your point about few basketball games and needing to hear the PA announcer.
I've wondered that often about War Memorial. One would thinking improving a sound system would be one of the cheaper things you could do. WMS has speakers on the south end zone only. How hard is it to wire some nice speakers on the north end? And how expensive is it to improve the sound quality at Verizon?
Just curious...what is it exactly that you NEED to hear over the sound system at a basketball game?

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: Swinesong1 on December 17, 2017, 04:56:24 pm
Just curious...what is it exactly that you NEED to hear over the sound system at a basketball game?
Nothing.
All that is needed is a court, two goals, a basketball, and five players for each team.

So let's get rid of all the non-essential stuff like the PA announcer, the cheerleaders, the band, the concessions, and the mascot.
They're not worthy of being talked about, and who cares what the quality of those 'non-essential' things are anyway?

Good point.

PonderinHog

What about the guy that balances himself on one hand and has a dog on his back?  Can he stay ???

WorfHog

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on December 17, 2017, 04:41:34 pm
I did totally forget about Thomas.
I'm not sure why. He does some good things.
Guess I would still like to see Bailey in the starting lineup, though.

About Qualls, you guys are right about him not showing a pretty good 3-pt shot until later, but right now I'm not seeing Bailey ever developing that kind of range. Haven't seen anything that would indicate that is coming down the road, but we'll see...

Bailey was in the starting lineup for a ton of games early in the season. Mike likes the energy he brings coming off the bench.

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: WorfHog on December 17, 2017, 06:46:23 pm
Bailey was in the starting lineup for a ton of games early in the season. Mike likes the energy he brings coming off the bench.
It works either way. Thomas is a good player. He's probably better starting the game, yes.

RyeHogFan

It's amazing that even in a seemingly off night for Gafford,  he still had 10 points, 6 rebounds, and 3 blocks.

On a side note, if you missed the pregame dunks by Gafford you missed a show. He was doing windmill dunks with ease and barely missed a through-the-legs dunk. Between him, Bailey, Jones, and Hall, we got more athleticism out there than we've had in a long time.

hobhog

WPS. Great summarization of every post of last 24 hours!

Chorizo Hogriguez

hogsanity

The bad was I said Gafford was excited to see his mom committed a lot of fouls. Probably trying too hard.

Has his mom been at every game?
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: RyeHogFan on December 17, 2017, 10:59:06 pm
It's amazing that even in a seemingly off night for Gafford,  he still had 10 points, 6 rebounds, and 3 blocks.

On a side note, if you missed the pregame dunks by Gafford you missed a show. He was doing windmill dunks with ease and barely missed a through-the-legs dunk. Between him, Bailey, Jones, and Hall, we got more athleticism out there than we've had in a long time.
I thought about that later.
If just looking at the box score, it doesn't look bad at all. Good 'off' game.
Being at the game, you could tell he was visibly frustrated, and looked out of sorts.
The free throws were way off. The paper reported he was wearing a bandage on his hand, which offers some explanation for the 'off' free throws. Paper said even Anderson didn't know anything about the wrapping until right before game time. Apparently he removed the wrapping sometime during the game. His touch did look better later in the game.
The paper, however, did not report why the wrapping was on his hand, though.

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: hogsanity on December 18, 2017, 11:29:13 am
Has his mom been at every game?
Don't know.
Paper reported last week a quote from Gafford saying he was excited to see his mom. That's why I figured he would 'go off' and maybe have a game like Fresno St.

hogsanity

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on December 18, 2017, 02:16:10 pm
Don't know.
Paper reported last week a quote from Gafford saying he was excited to see his mom. That's why I figured he would 'go off' and maybe have a game like Fresno St.

My point was the fouls were not because of mom. I have no doubt he was pressing with her there, but fouls have been as issue all season.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

DeltaBoy

I enjoyed the game online and loved to hear the energy that the team showed.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

hog of steele

It seems like we have gotten off to a slow start a few times this year. Is this going to be a problem for our team? How do you fix that?

NoogaHog

Quote from: hog of steele on December 18, 2017, 02:19:22 pm
It seems like we have gotten off to a slow start a few times this year. Is this going to be a problem for our team? How do you fix that?

It seems to be a trend the last few years. Many times it seems to take them 3-5 minutes to get into a rhythm. I'm not sure why.
Слава Богу - Slava Bogu - "Glory to God"

Sed76

The scoreboard could use updating for sure. I sat on the 1st row of the upper deck and never had a problem hearing anything the PA announcer said except during the starting lineups when the crowd was so loud.

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.