Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Recruiting Issues

Started by The NewEra, October 22, 2017, 12:26:26 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

The NewEra

If we don't have the horses to compete in the SEC or power five, which our record says we don't, then why would Bielema only bring in 15 or so new recruits this year.  Why would the coach allow people who were not good enough to play or failed to develop to stay on scholarship.  Scholarships are only one year guarantees.  Why would he allow the talent to continue deteriorating when it's imperative the talent level be upgraded.

Is this just a symptom of the overall strategic failures Bielema has implemented?  I'm clueless to any logic in this approach.

3Scoreand10

While I see your point, I question the morality of yanking a scholarship.  Might also cause other recruits to go elsewhere.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: 3Scoreand10 on October 22, 2017, 12:33:13 pm
While I see your point, I question the morality of yanking a scholarship.  Might also cause other recruits to go elsewhere.

Happens every year, everywhere

pignatious

His questionable recruiting plan and subsequent results on the field have been such that one could draw the conclusion that he wants to be let go. Maybe his plan is to do so poorly that he will be fired and receive his buyout. Then he can take a year or two off or maybe get an in studio commentary job. He's got a sense of humor and likes to talk a lot so he'd probably get one. A lot less pressure and still good money. Food for thought...
Freedom is never free.

3Scoreand10

Quote from: ShadowHawg on October 22, 2017, 12:35:22 pm
Happens every year, everywhere

Can you give an example where a scholarship was yanked because of on the field failure?

kp72204

I'm pretty sure it has to do with promises to parents. I agree with keeping because it was promised.

buldozer

The way to go about it is to convince the kids not good enough to play in the SEC to transfer elsewhere. The problem often is finding another school willing to take them and then convincing them to go.

Breaking your word to parents will not help recruiting IMO

PorkRinds

Also gotta remember if you don't have anyone better you gotta play the terrible players anyway.

3Scoreand10

Quote from: buldozer on October 22, 2017, 01:07:54 pm
The way to go about it is to convince the kids not good enough to play in the SEC to transfer elsewhere. The problem often is finding another school willing to take them and then convincing them to go.

Breaking your word to parents will not help recruiting IMO

You are right.  We have enough problems without being know as not keeping our word.

3Scoreand10

I have a thought. Please don't take this in the wrong way.
Could part of our problem of getting kids to come to Arkansas be because of the low minority population in NWA?
Some of these kids and their parents may think that the community might not accept them.

pignatious

If minorities have been going to Oxford Mississippi for years and years to play for the Rebels with a plantation owner as their mascot, they will come to Fayetteville too. That's just not a valid excuse.
Freedom is never free.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: 3Scoreand10 on October 22, 2017, 01:42:40 pm
I have a thought. Please don't take this in the wrong way.
Could part of our problem of getting kids to come to Arkansas be because of the low minority population in NWA?
Some of these kids and their parents may think that the community might not accept them.

It's a reasonable consideration, but it likely has more to do with location.  Our state doesn't produce much in the way of talent, and Fayetteville is very far from any measurable concentration of out of state HS talent.  Move the campus 700 or so miles east southeast of Fayetteville, then recruiting would get interesting.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

3Scoreand10

Quote from: pignatious on October 22, 2017, 02:05:11 pm
If minorities have been going to Oxford Mississippi for years and years to play for the Rebels with a plantation owner as their mascot, they will come to Fayetteville too. That's just not a valid excuse.

Well, we all know that they offer MORE in Miss.
But seriously, I have been to Oxford.  Why would anybody go there?