Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Get your popcorn ready!!

Started by Hollywood_HOGan45, May 09, 2017, 06:56:44 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Big Nasty 34

Quote from: yocdaddy on May 10, 2017, 10:54:49 am
While I do see an improvement from Barford and Macon (2nd year JUCO's normally grow a bunch) next season, our guard production on offense will likely be down with the loss of Hannahs.  Furthermore, losing a low post option and rim protector like Kingsley will hurt us as well.  I see a similar season record wise to this one on the horizon.  At least I'm hoping for a similar season next year without all the ups and downs.   

Our players won't be the only ones working on skill development between now and then.  Let's not assume next years team will finish top 3 in the league.  The conference is on the upswing, as are the HOGS.

You realize if we have a similar record as last year we will probably be in the top 15? We're about to have the toughest schedule since Nolan's hayday.

BannerMountainMan

While I do see an improvement from Barford and Macon (2nd year JUCO's normally grow a bunch) next season, our guard production on offense will likely be down with the loss of Hannahs.  Furthermore, losing a low post option and rim protector like Kingsley will hurt us as well.  I see a similar season record wise to this one on the horizon.  At least I'm hoping for a similar season next year without all the ups and downs.   

Our players won't be the only ones working on skill development between now and then.  Let's not assume next years team will finish top 3 in the league.  The conference is on the upswing, as are the HOGS.
if we have the same record we are very likely to be a top 15 team
"Michael Qualls with the dunk at the buzzer, it goes and Arkansas wins, it goes and Arkansas wins"

BannerMountainMan

Quote from: Big Nasty 34 on May 10, 2017, 04:07:23 pm
You realize if we have a similar record as last year we will probably be in the top 15? We're about to have the toughest schedule since Nolan's hayday.
omg I just said the same dang thing as you YESSIR!
"Michael Qualls with the dunk at the buzzer, it goes and Arkansas wins, it goes and Arkansas wins"

yocdaddy

Maybe, maybe not. I guess it would depend on when we lose.  If we go 8-5 in non-conference, we won't be top 15 at any point in the season.  If we go 17-3 in our first 20 games we might be...my point was a record around 25-10 is likely, how we get there is still an unknown. 
"More people would learn from their mistakes, if they weren't so busy denying them."  --Harold J. Smith

Big Nasty 34

Quote from: yocdaddy on May 10, 2017, 09:19:49 pm
Maybe, maybe not. I guess it would depend on when we lose.  If we go 8-5 in non-conference, we won't be top 15 at any point in the season.  If we go 17-3 in our first 20 games we might be...my point was a record around 25-10 is likely, how we get there is still an unknown.

If we had a solid RPI this year with our lack of marquee games, we most definitely will have a great RPI next year. 24-25 wins would get us a 4 seed at least I would think.

If we lose to the 8-9 best teams we play then we really won't have any bad losses. If we have a couple "bad" losses, then we would probably have a couple good wins to counteract that. Better wins than last year.

razoredge178

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on May 10, 2017, 03:52:05 pm
Those are all valid points but I've been trying to tell people for years that SEC basketball is much better than it's perceived to be and I still believe that. Now it's starting to show.

So what you're saying is you've been peddling bulls*** for years, and luck has finally swung your way?  ;)

I can't speak for all, but I don't "perceive" anything. I see with my eyeballs this league, year in and out. I've missed probably 10 Hog home games since 2010. I've watched all these SEC teams come in and out of BWA, for years. It's a poor league.

It is definitely on the rise, I agree with that. But if you've been peddling that the SEC is a good conference for years, you've been mistaken for most years up to this last one.

razoredge178

Quote from: The ColonelHog on May 11, 2017, 10:08:50 am
Well I'm confused now.  So the SEC in MBB is a dumpster after placing 3 teams in the Elite 8 and Big 12 FB suck even though they win most of their bowl games?  Sorry, sports is played on the court or field and that's where worth is determined.  Your whole statement, as you admitted, has nothing to do with results so what is the basis of your statement?

Boise State made in to BCS games multiple times. Did that mean they played in an awesome conference?

Since we had 3 teams make nice runs in the tourney, in your mind you can take that success and equate it to the whole conference being strong? I think not.

You butchered my "whole statement." I've clearly stated that you can't take a two week snapshot in basketball and all of a sudden make that two week window the success barometer of the league.

Come tell me how good the SEC is after we have 2 or 3 teams make deep runs for 3, 4, or 5 years in a row. The health and strength of a conference is defined over years, not days.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: razoredge178 on May 11, 2017, 09:12:19 am
So what you're saying is you've been peddling bulls*** for years, and luck has finally swung your way?  ;)

I can't speak for all, but I don't "perceive" anything. I see with my eyeballs this league, year in and out. I've missed probably 10 Hog home games since 2010. I've watched all these SEC teams come in and out of BWA, for years. It's a poor league.

It is definitely on the rise, I agree with that. But if you've been peddling that the SEC is a good conference for years, you've been mistaken for most years up to this last one.
Nope, the SEC has always had talent we just had poor coaching. Now that we are getting good coaches to come to this league it's getting even better. Maybe better than it's ever been.
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

Hawg Red

I still can't believe we have everyone coming back (I'm assuming we've whethered the transfer storm) and 3 great recruits ready to play with a good one learning the system for a year. What a blessing. It feels like Hawg Ball is back. Took a little longer than most thought, and many fans' patience were tested, but Mike is on the verge of establishing the Hogs back in the realm of relevance. Would probably already be there if not for the disastrous 2015 offseason.

hog.goblin

Quote from: razoredge178 on May 10, 2017, 09:34:39 am
CMA's biggest blessing is that he competes in the dumpster of basketball conferences.

Except it means you can win 25 games and be an 8 seed
I think the same team could have won 23 in the ACC or Big 12 and been a 5 or 6 seed.

Hollywood_HOGan45

Quote from: hog.goblin on May 11, 2017, 01:07:18 pm
Except it means you can win 25 games and be an 8 seed
I think the same team could have won 23 in the ACC or Big 12 and been a 5 or 6 seed.

This.

Hollywood_HOGan45

I thought having our two JUCO guards back from a pretty dang good team would be a momentous occasion.

Looks like some folks just cannot handle it.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan45 on May 11, 2017, 01:46:20 pm
I thought having our two JUCO guards back from a pretty dang good team would be a momentous occasion.

Looks like some folks just cannot handle it.
I wouldn't surprise me one bit if both averaged 20 PPG next year or close to it. Even in Mike's system.
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

jgphillips3

We'll miss Moses defensively.  We'll miss Hannah too.  However, Macon and Barford were just putting it together in the last 1/3 of the season (as you would expect from JUCO's) and they gave the national champions all they could take.  We have solid freshman talent and should be more active in the passing lanes with these kids.  There are a couple of kids who, if they improve their 3 point shooting over the summer, will make this team a solid top 25 team with the potential to not only get back to the tournament but to win again.

sadhogfan

Quote from: niels_boar on May 10, 2017, 01:09:00 pm
The only two guys with set roles in game 1 will be Barford and Macon.  How the shots for Hannahs and Kingsley get redistributed will be a work in progress, as will be optimizing units and rotations.  There are some kinks that can't be worked out until the staff sees how players perform with the lights on. 

Those three seniors included by far our two best defensive players, the guy in the middle who drew double teams, and our most consistent all-court scorer.  We have talent to replace them, but this team will be far from free of moving parts when the ball gets tossed in the air for the first time.

But, go ahead, ramp up expectations so that everybody can have a good tantrum on the first loss and declare the season over.  It happens every year, as the team keeps working and improving.  This team seems to have a high ceiling.  It could very well cause a lot of heartburn early and a lot of fist-pumping late.

Yeah, these are good, realistic, thoughts.

Rotations will be a big deal. The reality is that it takes a while each season for MA to figure his rotations out. Until he does, we tend to have some head-scratching losses, but once he does, it makes a significant difference (and to his credit, he always figures it out eventually).

I think the real question of the season: How long will it take MA to figure out the rotations that enable us to have two effective units and play some semblance of the style he desires?

Hawg Red

Quote from: azhog10 on May 10, 2017, 11:31:00 am
You could say the same about the kid at TAMU. His stock is as high as it ever will be and he decided to come back. Portis told the staff he was coming back, but in the end he did what he felt he needed to do. Believing him doesn't make you a moron, but it does if you don't have any backup plans. Mike did a great job of recruiting up until he knew 100% those guys were coming back this year. Tough learning experience.

I don't see how you can say that Robert Williams, projected to go at the end of the lottery at the time, decided to come back with his stock "as high as it ever will be." He's taking a risk for sure, but the kid won SEC DPOY as a freshman. Unless you just think he's not all that talented, I could easily see him as a top 5 pick next year. Matter of fact, Draftexpress currently has him at #5 for 2018.

PonderinHog

I'm stocked up and ready to go!!!   :razorback: :razorback: :razorback:

https://youtu.be/rthHSISkM7A

GuvHog

Quote from: razoredge178 on May 10, 2017, 10:13:17 am
Basketball is a game of runs. And the SEC had a couple of good ones this year. THIS year.

I watch endless basketball, and more SEC basketball than ever before because of the network. Its the worst of the Power 5. Brutal to watch most of the time. You don't realize how bad it is until you toggle back and forth from a Tennessee-Ole Miss game to an Indiana-Iowa type game.

You really need to do some research. The SEC finished last season ranked #3 among the P5 Conferences. They finished behind the ACC and Big 10 but were better than the Big 12 and Pac 12.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

GuvHog

Quote from: widespreadsooie on May 10, 2017, 12:07:43 pm
I'm not really sure what you're saying but I wasn't predicting Mike's future. My comment alludes to fans with lofty expectations that have knee jerk reactions to every loss.

I knew that's what you meant when I read it but I guess some on here have problems with comprehension.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

MountieDawg

How tall are Macon and Barford now?  7 foot???
SEC!

wildturkey8

Quote from: MountieDawg on May 12, 2017, 12:58:00 pm
No but Gafford may be by the time he arrives on campus.

mhuff

Quote from: HoopS on May 10, 2017, 11:21:26 am
What we lose from Hannahs offensively we stand to gain defensively.

Definitely agree with this statement ,but I believe Jones will be a scorer. Also, I expect rebounding will go up a tick or two.

azhog10

Quote from: Hawg Red on May 11, 2017, 05:33:15 pm
I don't see how you can say that Robert Williams, projected to go at the end of the lottery at the time, decided to come back with his stock "as high as it ever will be." He's taking a risk for sure, but the kid won SEC DPOY as a freshman. Unless you just think he's not all that talented, I could easily see him as a top 5 pick next year. Matter of fact, Draftexpress currently has him at #5 for 2018.
I don't see him going top 5...will he move up a couple spots? Sure, but the risk of coming back to me outweighs staying. I also think another year may do more damage as I see him sliding a bit. HE's an unbelievable specimen but to me I think he peaked. But, I very well could be wrong.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: Hawg Red on May 11, 2017, 05:33:15 pm

He probably should have left with a rating that high. Marcus Smart comes to mind.
Hogs up! Covid down!

Hawg Red

Quote from: FineAsSwine on May 15, 2017, 09:05:58 am
He probably should have left with a rating that high. Marcus Smart comes to mind.

You think Marcus Smart maybe isn't too upset he didn't go #2 overall (which, by the way, is a far cry from borderline lottery pick like Williams) to the Magic and instead gets to spend the first decade of his career with the Celtics?

poloprince

Quote from: razoredge178 on May 10, 2017, 09:34:39 am
CMA's biggest blessing is that he competes in the dumpster of basketball conferences.

Was it a blessing competing at Mizzou??
$PoLoPrInCe$

Rawker

This is one of the dumbest threads I've seen in the Great Hogville Sea of Dumb Threads.  Did all of the people on this thread stop watching anything with a Razorback on the jersey once football was over, and perhaps some article in the news paper hipped you to the fact that there was a team?  The Hogs just won 26 games this season and got 100% legitimately robbed out of beating the eventual national champions, after winning their first round game against a team that lost by 2 against the #2 team in the Big East semis.  I feel I have to go through all of the games and successes of last year, even though there were some flops, because some of you people don't seem to know a damn thing about where the team and the conference is!  The Hogs are already back on the map, and this was solidified in the UNC robbery, so they are in a mode of building on that, not trying to find their way ON the map!  And as such, the suggestion that Mike Anderson is once again, after two seasons of 26 and 27 wins out of three, on the hot seat is absolutely and completely false, except in your little world where you don't pay attention to the games and the current recruiting trends and certainly don't know where he stands with the administrators, which is on very solid ground.  The Hogs may not be exactly where we all want them to be, but the ratio of where they are against the fanbase's knowledge of the game is incredibly vast.

BannerMountainMan

Quote from: Rawker on May 15, 2017, 11:54:06 am
This is one of the dumbest threads I've seen in the Great Hogville Sea of Dumb Threads.  Did all of the people on this thread stop watching anything with a Razorback on the jersey once football was over, and perhaps some article in the news paper hipped you to the fact that there was a team?  The Hogs just won 26 games this season and got 100% legitimately robbed out of beating the eventual national champions, after winning their first round game against a team that lost by 2 against the #2 team in the Big East semis.  I feel I have to go through all of the games and successes of last year, even though there were some flops, because some of you people don't seem to know a damn thing about where the team and the conference is!  The Hogs are already back on the map, and this was solidified in the UNC robbery, so they are in a mode of building on that, not trying to find their way ON the map!  And as such, the suggestion that Mike Anderson is once again, after two seasons of 26 and 27 wins out of three, on the hot seat is absolutely and completely false, except in your little world where you don't pay attention to the games and the current recruiting trends and certainly don't know where he stands with the administrators, which is on very solid ground.  The Hogs may not be exactly where we all want them to be, but the ratio of where they are against the fanbase's knowledge of the game is incredibly vast.
what a great post!!! Thank you!!!

LRHog

Quote from: razoredge178 on May 11, 2017, 09:12:19 am

Your eyes are special... and not in the good way.  :puke:

The_Iceman

FineAsSwine

Quote from: The_Iceman on May 15, 2017, 05:55:28 pm
Mizzou vs. Arkansas should be fun next year:  http://missouri.247sports.com/Season/2017-Basketball/Commits

They got a couple of good ones but it won't be enough. I think we should sweep them next year.
Hogs up! Covid down!

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: FineAsSwine on May 15, 2017, 09:35:25 pm
They got a couple of good ones but it won't be enough. I think we should sweep them next year.

I hope so.  Check out the best recruiting classes for 2016.  1, 2, and 3 are U.K., Duke and Michigan St.  That's 6/10 of the top recruiting classes not making the tournament.  It takes good recruiting year in year out and a program as well. Mizzou will really have their work cut out for them to make the tournament, however, you know they like to lock in for us so I predict a split with them.

yocdaddy

Quote from: MountieDawg on May 12, 2017, 12:58:00 pm
I wasn't talking about height jack. 
"More people would learn from their mistakes, if they weren't so busy denying them."  --Harold J. Smith

FineAsSwine

Quote from: rzrbackramsfan on May 16, 2017, 11:49:10 pm
I hope so.  Check out the best recruiting classes for 2016.  1, 2, and 3 are U.K., Duke and Michigan St.  That's 6/10 of the top recruiting classes not making the tournament.  It takes good recruiting year in year out and a program as well. Mizzou will really have their work cut out for them to make the tournament, however, you know they like to lock in for us so I predict a split with them.

Yeah, they do harbor an unusually strong resentment towards us. They remind me of a vicious attack poodle. You aren't really scared of him but you know if you don't keep your eyes on him he might sneak in from behind and bite you. For reference, see the crazy linebacker for Mizzou, I thought he was nuts for all of the crap he talked before the game last year. But danged if the SOB didn't back it up.

So, I'll give you that, they just might split with us. Crazier things have happened, such as our loss to them this past season.
Hogs up! Covid down!

HoopS

Until we start to dominate them, we need to understand games with Missouri will be a dogfight.

FineAsSwine

Well, we haven't dominated them to my liking. Maybe we set the tone for future interactions this year. We have lots of seniors and some talented guards, time to take the diaper dandies to the woodshed for a spanking.
Hogs up! Covid down!

nwahogfan1

I definitely think we will be fun to watch and win a lot of games. WE play in the SEC so we should expect this. But with out a good inside game I do not think we will go any deeper in the NCAAT. 

FineAsSwine

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on May 20, 2017, 10:26:07 am
I definitely think we will be fun to watch and win a lot of games. WE play in the SEC so we should expect this. But with out a good inside game I do not think we will go any deeper in the NCAAT.

We almost beat Carolina, if the refs hadn't stepped in and saved them.
Hogs up! Covid down!

hog.goblin

Quote from: FineAsSwine on May 20, 2017, 02:12:44 pm
We almost beat Carolina, if the refs hadn't stepped in and saved them.

Agreed, but in large part due to Moses.

Gafford won't be Moses yet.

GoHogs1091

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on May 10, 2017, 11:18:32 am
SEC basketball is underrated and getting better.

Ben Howland's combined career record in year three at Northern Arizona, Pitt, and UCLA was 82 wins and 20 losses.  He will be in year 3 at MSU.  They will be tough to win against.

Avery Johnson is recruiting very well.  Alabama should be improved.

Andy Kennedy should have a good team. 

Kentucky is reloading, but at some point in the season they should gel.