Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Sean White will not start against Washington

Started by jbcarol, September 22, 2015, 11:26:25 am

Previous topic - Next topic

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/Carvell_AJC/status/768949530389803008

QuoteAUBURN, Ala. — Last season was tough for Auburn quarterback Sean White, but he's getting a new start in 2016.

Gus Malzahn named White Auburn's starting quarterback on Thursday. The announcement followed two weeks of preseason camp and the first week of classes on the Plains.

White won the job after competing against senior Jeremy Johnson and junior college transfer John Franklin III. The sophomore will lead Auburn when the team plays Clemson in the season-opener Sept. 3 in Jordan-Hare Stadium.

"We're excited for Sean. He's earned it," Malzahn said. "He's in a good spot. The team is going to rally around him."

White unexpectedly started five games for the Tigers in the middle of the 2015 season after starter Jeremy Johnson struggled. The 6-foot-1 White threw for 1,166 yards with one touchdown and four interceptions before suffering an injury against Arkansas.

Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

GoHogs1091

Here is the starting Line of Scrimmage match-ups for the Clemson/Auburn game.  The measurables are from the Depth Charts from the Game Notes.

Clemson OL                                                                           Auburn DL                                              

LT:  Mitch Hyatt   6'5"  295 lbs.  So.                                   DE:  Carl Lawson   6'2"  253 lbs.  Jr.
Freshman All-American last season
#1 ranked OT in the nation coming out of H.S.

LG:  Taylor Hearn   6'5"  325 lbs.  Rs.So.                          DT:   Dontavius Russell   6'3"  308 lbs.  So.

C:    Jay Guillermo   6'3"  310 lbs.  Rs.Sr.                          DT:  Montravius Adams   6'4"  309 lbs.  Sr.
#1 ranked C in the nation coming out of H.S.   

RG:  Tyrone Crowder   6'2"  340 lbs.  Rs.Jr.
                                                                                                 DE:  Marlon Davidson   6'3"  273 lbs.  Fr.
RT:  Jake Fruhmorgen   6'5"  290 lbs.  So.
#8 ranked OT in the nation coming out of HS.

Clemson DL                                                                            Auburn OL

DE:  Richard Yeargin   6'5"  260 lbs.  Rs.So.                      LT:  Austin Golson   6'5"  314 lbs.  Jr.

DT:  Carlos Watkins    6'3"  305 lbs.  Rs.Sr.                       LG:  Alex Kozan   6'4"  310 lbs.  Sr.
ESPN Preseason All-American 
                                                                                                  C:    Xavier Dampeer   6'2"  310 lbs.  Sr.                           
DT:  Christian Wilkins   6'4"  310 lbs.  So.                               
#6 ranked DT in the nation coming out of H.S.               RG:  Braden Smith   6'6"  300 lbs.  Jr.

DE:  Clelin Ferrell   6'5"  265 lbs.  Rs.Fr.                            RT:   Robert Leff   6'6"  299 lbs.  Sr.

jbcarol

James Crepea ‏@JamesCrepea 3m3 minutes ago

John Franklin III & Jeremy Johnson slit wide left, Sean White hands off to Stanton Truitt goes for loss.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/JamesCrepea/status/772475517119455232

QuoteThe longest quarterback battle of Gus Malzahn's college coaching career is not settled -

Sean White's tenure as Auburn's starting quarterback this fall will be, at best, a weekly test.

Despite saying it was doubtful all three quarterbacks would play against Clemson, Malzahn changed course and did just that, including rotating all three on the same drive and even featuring them all on the same play in Saturday's 19-13 season-opening loss.

Afterward, Malzahn insisted there "wasn't any hesitation" in Auburn's plan to play White as well as Jeremy Johnson and John Franklin III at quarterback against Clemson.

Who is Auburn's QB No. 1 going forward?

"Well Sean White started, so that was the No. 1 quarterback out there first," Malzahn said, "but we played all three and we may continue to do that. We'll see how each game goes and we'll see how everything turns out."

This from the coach who spent the entire off-season stating the objective was to name a clear starter "sooner rather than later."

Turns out, 15 spring practices, 21 practices in fall camp, after which White was named the starter, and six more as part of game preparations was not enough to truly decide who is best to lead the Tigers offense this season.

Malzahn would not fully commit to White, whom he referred to as "our guy," being the starter for next week's game against Arkansas State.

"I'm not going to sit here and say that Sean White's not going to start," he said. "I expect him to start, put it that way."

White went 10 for 21 for 140 yards with an interception.

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/aldotcomSports/status/772904690971533312

QuoteAuburn's quarterbacks did not grade well in the 19-13 season-opening loss to No. 2 Clemson, according to analysis by Pro Football Focus.

Starter Sean White received the best grade from PFF among Auburn's three quarterbacks, receiving a score of 64.5. John Franklin III, making his first appearance in a major college game, scored 60.0, and senior Jeremy Johnson received a 57.7.

White was 10 for 21 for 140 yards with an interception and ran four times for minus-2 yards, but was "the best thrower out of the group," in the view of PFF, despite some poor decisions and struggles with accuracy.

PFF did not have an Auburn receiver with a dropped pass during the game.

jbcarol

Malzahn said Tuesday that Sean White will be the starting quarterback for Auburn's Week 2 matchup against Arkansas State. JUCO transfer John Franklin III will take reps as the second-team quarterback.

Quote"Offensively, our plan going in was to be aggressive (against Clemson)," Malzahn said. "Our plan was to play all three quarterbacks. We thought it would be successful. Obviously it wasn't."

Following Saturday's game, Malzahn left the door open to continue playing all three quarterbacks. But after reviewing the film, he admitted the plan backfired.

"We weren't as successful as I thought we would be with it, but that was the plan," Malzahn said. "A little unknown right there, throwing a lot at the opponent. We're moving forward with Sean White and bringing along John Franklin."

White took 37 of Auburn's 71 official snaps in the 19-13 loss against Clemson, completing 10 of his 21 passes for 140 yards and an interception. The sophomore starter had five of Auburn's six passing plays for 15 or more yards.

"(White) can throw the ball downfield," Malzahn said. "He bought himself a little time on a couple of those, especially the one where we got the pass-interference call. He did an outstanding job of buying himself some time, took a big lick, and he's got a good control of our offense, too."

Franklin had one passing attempt, and seven of his eight snaps came in Wildcat or specialized pistol formations.

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/aldotcomSports/status/773794328753893376

QuoteAuburn hopes to find success with a new plan at quarterback following a three-man rotation that proved abysmal and the passing game may have a perfect opponent to face in order to get back on track.

Arkansas State is coming off a 31-10 loss to Toledo in which it allowed 371 yards passing and three touchdowns through the air. The poor season-opening performance has the Red Wolves ranked 118th national.

"I didn't think our technique was very good," Arkansas State defensive coordinator Joe Cauthen said. "One of the touchdowns, we didn't use proper technique and the communication wasn't great. Another one of them our eyes (weren't) on the man. Another one it was a great throw and catch."

It's not a one-week issue either. Arkansas State tied for 112th nationally in pass defense (267.9 yards per game) and tied for 106th with 26 passing touchdowns allowed.

Over its last two games, Arkansas State has allowed 829 yards passing and six touchdowns.

So even with only 175 passing yards, of which Sean White had 140, against Clemson, Auburn's passing attack should be able to be productive on Saturday night.

"It depends on how they play us," offensive coordinator Rhett Lashlee said. "But if that's what they're giving us then we've got to be able to execute. It'd be great to go out and throw and catch the ball well. It'd be great to go out and run the ball well."

jbcarol

Tom Green ‏@Tomas_Verde Sep 8

Malzahn: Freshman QB Woody Barrett sustained injury "about 3 weeks ago" http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/index.ssf/2016/09/auburn_freshman_woody_barrett_1.html ...

QuoteAuburn freshman quarterback Woody Barrett sustained an injury last month that delayed his development this preseason.

Auburn coach Gus Malzahn revealed Thursday during his weekly radio appearance on "Tiger Talk" that Barrett sustained an ankle injury "probably about three weeks ago."

"(He) was out of commission for about two weeks," Malzahn said. "So that kind of put him behind."

During the spring, Malzahn said that Barrett would have a chance to compete for the starting quarterback job once he arrived on campus. However, his enrollment was delayed until late this summer, which put him further behind Sean White, et al.

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/Michael_Carvell/status/774845191375187968

QuoteWhite finished the game 17 for 23 passing for 244 yards, 3 touchdowns and zero interceptions. He completed 13 of his final 15 passes and had a completion to 10 different receivers.

"He did a great job tonight," Malzahn said. "He is our quarterback..."

White earned more respect when sophomore running back Kerryon Johnson turned a busted play into a mesmerizing 47-yard touchdown run.

White managed to flip the ball out to Johnson while getting wrapped up for a potential sack. Then he got up and ran as a lead blocker for his running back as he ran down the opposite sideline.

https://twitter.com/SECNetwork/status/774763217637740544

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/aldotcomSports/status/777367286399262720

QuoteFollowing a 29-16 loss to No. 17 Texas A&M in which coach Gus Malzahn repeatedly cited inconsistency on offense, the Tigers have another quarterback controversy on their hands. Sean White started the game against the Aggies and had a strong start, but as Auburn's offense stagnated for much of the game, Malzahn decided to make a change, inserting John Franklin III at quarterback at the start of the fourth quarter.

"We felt like we just needed a shot in the arm, so we gave John Franklin a shot and he did a good job moving the football," Malzahn said. "We got the chains moving. We'll talk about things next week, but that was really what happened: We needed a shot in the arm."

Franklin came in the game and led three fourth-quarter drives, two of which ended in turnovers on downs [he ran out of bounds short of the sticks on one fourth down play] and the other culminating in a touchdown by Kerryon Johnson out of the Wildcat.

Although the end results were mixed, the fact that Auburn had relative success moving the ball with Franklin in the game late presents Malzahn and the offensive staff with another conundrum at the quarterback position between White and Franklin, neither of whom were made available for interviews after the game.

White was named the starter before the season, but in the opener Malzahn used an ill-fated, three-quarterback approach on offense that saw the Tigers use all three quarterbacks on one play, two of them on the field at once on multiple occasions and a seemingly random rotation that varied from play to play. After that experiment failed, Malzahn decided to stick with White as the No. 1 guy, with Franklin as his backup.

jbcarol

jbcarol

James Crepea ‏@JamesCrepea

Auburn sticking with Sean White: "We've got to put him in better situations from a coaching standpoint to help him."

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/Michael_Carvell/status/779308188717940736

Film study of Auburn's starting QB for the week

QuoteOf the nine SEC quarterbacks who rank in the top 100 players in the FBS in passing this season, White ranks second in completion percentage at 63.4 percent. But he ranks second-to-last in yards per completion with just 11.3. To put that in perspective, that's just barely better than what much-maligned LSU backup (and preseason Coaches All-SEC Third Team QB) Brandon Harris was able to do...

White finishes behind Hobbes as top Tiger of all time per this ranking.

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/aldotcomSports/status/779995839544627206

QuoteSean White doesn't consider himself to be a superstitious person, but he may might become one after Auburn's thrilling 18-13 upset of No. 18 LSU Saturday night.

Prior to the game White met up with former Auburn quarterback Pat Sullivan, who he believes may have brought him some good fortune.

"He said, 'Before you go out there, you put a penny in your sock," White said. "Put a penny in your sock and it will give you that little bit of luck that you need, whenever you need it,'" White said. "I said, 'All right.' I'm going to listen to Pat Sullivan, he won the Heisman. So I went and got a penny, put it in my sock."

Three and a half hours later, Auburn was celebrating its first Southeastern Conference win of the season, a thrilling 18-13 victory over No. 18 LSU.

The homestanding Tigers needed every bit of luck they could get as the game came down to the final play. It appeared LSU had won the game on a last-second touchdown pass, but officials reviewed the tape and determined the Bayou Bengals failed to get the snap off in time.

"After the game I was like, 'Wow,'" White said. "Not that I'm a superstitious guy, but it's kind of weird that it was that close. I don't know what it is. It was good to win and I'm happy."

White didn't throw any touchdowns Saturday night...

Lashlee allowed him to open up the playbook and throw the ball downfield. He only brought White off the field once in favor of second-string quarterback John Franklin III...

"Sean White I thought played an outstanding game," Auburn head coach Gus Malzahn said after the game. "He's a tough guy. I thought he made some good throws. He got hit a couple times, he really got hit a couple times. I thought he managed the game well."

Auburn now turns its attention to next Saturday's game against Louisiana-Monroe. Then its off to Starkville the following week for the first road trip of the season at Mississippi State — and you can bet White will have that same penny in his sock.

"Oh I'm keeping it," said White, who secured the cent in his bag before meeting the media.

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/aldotcomSports/status/781995816261214208

QuoteAfter an uneven performance against Clemson in the season opener, when he completed just 10 of 21 passes for 140 yards and an interception while part of a three-man rotation at the position, White has shown growth behind center for Auburn over the last three games.

"He's going to get more confidence each week," Lashlee said. "I think he's getting more confident probably with the guys that he's playing with around him, too."

Since that season-opening loss to Clemson, White has put together two of the best performances of his career over the last three weeks.

Against Arkansas State...

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/Michael_Carvell/status/782566653976518657

QuoteOvermatched Sun Belt foe

White finally got the chance to find his rhythm and he's showing why he was Malzahn's choice as the starter to begin the season. Against the Warhawks, White surpassed the 2,000-yard passing mark for his career and scored his first career rushing touchdown. The only thing more impressive than his 14 of 17 passing, 239-yard performance was his toughness. White dove between two defenders on his TD run and took other hard hits. He never appeared rattled. Instead, he looked comfortable.

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/Michael_Carvell/status/784454008597512192

QuoteAUBURN, Ala. — Sean White earned his first start last season against Mississippi State after a struggling beginning from Jeremy Johnson.

A year later, as a redshirt sophomore quarterback, White has developed as a passer and leader. He has asserted himself as the full-time No. 1 guy.

While he hasn't shattered records, White has been a solid contributor. He has the best completion percentage in the SEC, at 68.4 percent. White's 5-to-1 touchdown-to-turnover ration is bested in the conference only by Alabama's Jalen Hurts and, of course,  Arkansas' Austin Allen.

Q: As a quarterback, how different are you for this start than you were a season ago against Mississippi State?

A: "I think I'm a lot different, obviously. I think there's so much more experience under my belt, playing in a lot of SEC games, playing in a lot of games. I think that will help me as far as being more comfortable and going on the road in a tough environment and I think it will help me."

Q: What do you like so much about Rhett Lashlee? What was his recruitment of you like?

A: "He's a confident coach. People made a big deal about him calling the plays and everything, but he's confident. You don't notice anything different when he's coming around or in our quarterback meetings or anything like that ...

jbcarol

Sean White ‏@SeanWhiteAU 15h15 hours ago

You cant always be 100%, but you can always give 100%... Love my...
https://www.instagram.com/p/BMceRZ3jDxQJDBO5xNqYKiG53y_wMYrWb-I0BQ0/ ...

jbcarol

White's leadership points Tigers toward bigger things

QuoteWhile the quarterback-led comeback against the Commodores quieted doubters on the Plains and reassured others in the program, it may have meant most to White.

"His teammates have a lot of respect for him, his coaches do too," Malzahn said. "That'll help him moving forward, too. That had to feel good for him, too."

jbcarol

jbcarol

Sam Butler
‏@_sam_butler

Sean White is still out there at QB.

Matthew Stevens ‏@matthewcstevens 1h1 hour ago

Matthew Stevens Retweeted Sam Butler

You were expecting....Cam Newton?

jbcarol

jbcarol

Brandon Marcello ‏@bmarcello 13h13 hours ago

Gus Malzahn said Sean White hasn't thrown to receivers at practice in 2 weeks. Three Auburn players said White practiced this week.

jbcarol

jbcarol

Quote from: jbcarol on November 13, 2016, 12:27:27 pm

Brandon Marcello ‏@bmarcello 13h13 hours ago

Rhett Lashlee confirms our earlier report that Auburn QB Woody Barrett will not play this week and is redshirting.

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/bmarcello/status/797975769737637888

QuoteAUBURN, Ala. — Sean White is doing his best to hide the pain in his throwing shoulder.

His coaches are trying to mask it, too.

After three weeks, however, it's becoming harder and harder to ignore. It was never more evident Saturday during a 13-7 loss at Georgia. Auburn's starting quarterback was 6 of 20 passing for 27 yards, and he threw an interception returned for a touchdown — the decisive play in the game.

White, who last spoke to the media Oct. 29, discussed his injury for the first time in the public eye Sunday. His competitive spirit was on display once again, and his desire to continue playing through the pain is apparent — even his coaches were not aware of the extent of the injury Saturday night.

"I think I could have done a little bit better job as far as just letting them know how bad it was really hurting me," White said. "You know I don't think they really know. I think that's partially on me, so. Just being a competitor, I wanted to win. I wanted to be out there playing and so I don't know if I really let them know how bad it was hurting me. That's on me, and I have to do a better job of just being honest. Because maybe the best chance to win might be somebody else if I'm not healthy enough."

White was 2 of 13 passing for eight yards in the second half against the Bulldogs. His availability for the Tigers' last home game of the season against Alabama A&M this week is not yet known.

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/ESPN_SEC/status/803286723316678656

QuoteMalzahn told ESPN.com on Sunday he's confident White will be "full force and ready to go" for the bowl game. White has been plagued by a shoulder injury. He first sustained the injury in the win over Ole Miss, then sat out the first half of the win over Vanderbilt the next week, but came off the bench in the second half to help the Tigers pull out a 23-16 win over the Commodores.

White started at quarterback the next week against Georgia, but reinjured his shoulder on the first series and tried to play through the pain. He wasn't effective and finished just 6-of-20 for 27 yards and an interception that was returned for a touchdown. He said after the game he should have let the coaches know how badly he was hurting.

The Tigers sat White for the final two games, including last week's loss at Alabama.

"Sean hung in there and tried to play against Georgia, but just wasn't close," Malzahn said. "We weren't going to rush him back after that, but he should be fine for the bowl game."

jbcarol

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/ESPN_SEC/status/809805990719852544

QuoteWhat does Sean White have to be thinking right now?

The Auburn quarterback joined his teammates at practice Wednesday in what was his first appearance since he re-injured his shoulder against Georgia over a month ago. According to head coach Gus Malzahn, White did everything the other quarterbacks did and didn't miss a beat. The redshirt sophomore looked like he was back to 100 percent.

The shoulder isn't White's only concern, though. On the same Wednesday that White returned to practice, Auburn signed former Baylor quarterback Jarrett Stidham, the No. 1 overall player in this year's ESPN JC 50.

"Obviously, [Stidham] is a guy that we're familiar with," Malzahn said. "We started recruiting him way back when. We felt like he was the top quarterback in the country when he came out and then he chose to go to another school. So for us to have a guy like him -- we think he's an outstanding player, an outstanding person, has got great leadership -- so he'll be a great addition to our team."

Malzahn went on and on, gushing about how Stidham can make all the throws and how he can run and extend plays with his feet. He talked up his leadership qualities and his maturity...

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/Michael_Carvell/status/820052317789712385

QuoteKey returners: Sean White (junior), John Franklin III (senior)

Key departures: Jeremy Johnson (graduation)

Key additions: Jarrett Stidham (transfer), Woody Barrett (redshirt)

Returning production: 147-234 for 1,883 yards, 10 TDs, 3 INTs

Gus Malzahn's offense is built around the run, but the past two years just proved how much Auburn needs a passing complement. Quarterback Sean White dealt with injuries all season long that hampered his production. The numbers show how detrimental it was to Auburn's team success.

When White threw just a single touchdown pass, Auburn was 6-0. In games White started in which he did not throw for a TD, the Tigers were 1-4. Similarly, Auburn was 5-0 when White threw for at least 200 yards in a game.

The sophomore averaged just 152.6 yards per game. Granted, the numbers dropped after dealing with injuries the last five games of the season, but not that much.

But heading into 2017, Jarrett Stidham should change everything. Even though White was solid when he played this past season, Stidham should easily take the starting job.

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/aldotcomSports/status/824467137171447809

QuoteSean White's broken arm is expected to at least limit him during spring practice, if not worse.

White broke his right forearm during the Sugar Bowl earlier this month.

"Right now, we are hoping he can go some in spring," Auburn coach Gus Malzahn said following the South team's second Senior Bowl practice at Ladd-Peebles...

Auburn is opening spring practice on Feb. 28.

Asked if White, who threw for 1,679 yards with nine touchdowns and three interceptions in 11 games last season, might be able to return following spring break, Malzahn would not commit to a date.

The forearm injury was White's fourth known injury in 14 months.

In 2015, White hurt his knee in Auburn's loss at Arkansas.

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/Michael_Carvell/status/836417328095113217

QuoteWhite is expected to miss team drills during the Tigers' spring practices.

White sustained a broken right arm in Auburn's loss to Oklahoma in the Sugar Bowl on Jan. 2. White threw for 1,679 yards with 9 touchdowns and 3 interceptions this past season.

White, when healthy, will face a significant test to keep his job as the Tigers' starting quarterback. Jarrett Stidham, who recently transferred to Auburn after playing the 2015 season at Baylor, is expected to push for the top position throughout the spring and fall.

https://twitter.com/aldotcomSports/status/836521072279367680

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/Michael_Carvell/status/837082751274729472

QuoteLauren Shute - At several points last season, Gus Malzahn was asked if he'd consider moving John Franklin III to another position. And almost always, the Auburn head coach said the JUCO transfer would stay at quarterback.

It seems, however, that Malzahn's feelings on a possible switch have changed.

"John is open to helping the team with whatever," Malzahn said Tuesday. "We just felt strongly that he start out and try to win the job at quarterback, so that's what we'll do. ... He's going to start out at quarterback and he'll get reps today and tomorrow at quarterback, along with the other four guys."

Even before arriving at Auburn in January 2016, Franklin competed for starting jobs — first at Florida State and then at East Mississippi Community College.

"Every school tries to get the best, so you can't be scared of competition," Franklin said after the Sugar Bowl in January. "He's going to have to come in here and earn it just like I tried to do. That's just the bottom line."

Franklin will start out challenging Stidham, Woody Barrett, freshman Malik Willis and White (who will be limited in the coming weeks after suffering a broken forearm against Oklahoma in the Sugar Bowl) for the quarterback role...

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/aldotcomSports/status/839351513667551232

QuoteSean White has taken a step forward in his rehab process this spring, but the redshirt junior still has a way to go in his return from a broken right forearm.

White was seen throwing with Auburn's quarterbacks during the open viewing period of Auburn's fourth practice of spring on Tuesday, but the 6-foot, 190-pounder has been able to do little else as Auburn remains cautious with his rehab.

"Sean's been great," offensive coordinator Chip Lindsey said. "He's had some limited throwing on the side, kind of rehabbing and stuff, but he's dialed in."

White broke the forearm of his throwing arm in the first quarter of Auburn's loss to Oklahoma in the Sugar Bowl.

Gus Malzahn said last week that the Tigers weren't going to rush White back from the injury.

While he has been able to do some light throwing this spring, he has not been able to participate in team drills. He did not take part in Auburn's "pace" drill during the open viewing portion at the start of practice.

Although he has been limited on the field, White is still in the meeting room and doing his best to serve as a team leader, helping Lindsey bring along Auburn's younger signal-callers, like freshman Malik Willis and redshirt freshman Woody Barrett.

Malzahn said last week that it would be highly unlikely for Auburn to name a starting quarterback this spring, and Lindsey drove that point home after Tuesday's practice.

"I want to see Sean," Lindsey said. "Sean's made a lot of plays here. When he's been healthy he's been really effective. I don't think we're even close to even discussing anything like that yet."

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/Michael_Carvell/status/845740571272581120

QuoteAUBURN, Ala. —  Sean White has plenty of reason to be frustrated with how this spring has unfolded on the Plains.

White finds himself in the early stages of yet another quarterback competition against a lauded JUCO transfer in Jarrett Stidham. This time, however, he's spent most of Auburn's practices watching from the sidelines after having offseason surgery on the forearm he broke in the Sugar Bowl. Doctors inserted a metal plate into the arm to aid in healing.

Instead of sulking, White has managed to find the positives. Atop that list is Gus Malzahn and new offensive coordinator Chip Lindsey's promise to hold off on naming a starter until this fall.

"I think the coaches and stuff have done me right and given me a fair chance and say that, 'We're going to wait until Sean gets healthy to make a decision,' and stuff like that. So I appreciate that."

With that pressure lifted, White has been able to focus completely on his rehab and recovery...

jbcarol

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/aldotcomSports/status/855252855808307200

Coach is switching things up.  Choosing not to name a starting QB until late in the process.

Quote"We don't have a specific date once fall camp gets here," Malzahn said on the Cole Cubelic show Thursday morning. "Obviously, earlier (is) better than later, but we'll give everybody a fair shot and we'll name a starter when the appropriate time comes."

Malzahn told Smashmouth Radio on 99.1 The Game that he feels good about the "quality depth" Auburn has at quarterback and will balance preparing Stidham, the presumptive favorite, while also giving White an opportunity to win the job back.

"You just got to give everybody a fair chance," Malzahn said. "That's why Sean White, he did some very good things this spring. He was only able to do the 7-on-7 aspect, no team things with his arm the way it was. Malik Willis is a young guy that really came on and really I thought had a good spring.

"But we'll take it to fall camp and we'll figure out who the best one is; but the good thing is right now I feel like we have quality depth."

jbcarol

jbcarol

AL.com sports‏Verified account @aldotcomSports

What's Sean White's mindset on Auburn QB competition? http://trib.al/torje9L

QuoteThe redshirt junior understands that Jarrett Stidham is widely viewed as the favorite to win Auburn's starting quarterback job after joining the program in January. White has told people close to him he thinks the Baylor transfer is a very good quarterback.

But he is plenty confident in his own ability, feels he's grown from starting 16 games the last two seasons and believes he has what it takes to win the starting job. He's already looking forward to competing with Stidham when the Tigers begin fall camp in August.

"People shouldn't write him off at all," said Mastrole, White's long-time private quarterback coach. "He's a super competitive guy, one of the more competitive guys that I've ever been around, like one of those guys that you could kick his ass and he's going to get up and keep coming back at you. He's just a quarterback that brings something to the table that people, even since high school, they just know he's got that dog in him. And he's also dead-ass accurate."

The situation is great for Auburn.

There aren't many other schools around the country with two quarterbacks as collectively talented as Stidham and White.

jbcarol

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/Michael_Carvell/status/879387049190723584

QuoteNo position on Auburn's 2017 roster has gone through a bigger overhaul this offseason than the all-important quarterback... At the end of the regular season in 2016, the Tigers struggled mightily with an injured starter in Sean White and a pair of backup options that just didn't pan out well.

A few weeks later, Auburn added the biggest graduate transfer of the recruiting cycle in former Baylor quarterback Jarrett Stidham. True freshman Malik Willis also joined the team... An abrupt coaching change brought a new coordinator and position coach in Chip Lindsey.

Auburn lost two quarterbacks to transfer and another one in John Franklin III to a position change. White didn't fully practice as he recovered from yet another injury, giving Stidham and Willis a perfect chance to make great first impressions.

A healthy White will give Auburn a strength in numbers that it hasn't had in a while. But this unit still has a lot to prove in a short amount of time.

Stidham didn't officially win the starting job in spring practice... A taller, more athletic quarterback, Stidham should give Auburn something it didn't have with White at his healthiest —

Jarrett Stidham (sophomore, 6-foot-3, 214 pounds)
        75-109 for 1,265 yards, 12 touchdowns and two interceptions at Baylor in 2015.
    Sean White (junior; 6-0, 211)
        133-208 for 1,679 yards, nine touchdowns and three interceptions in 2016.

jbcarol

Who's Auburn's starting quarterback?

QuoteIt's unlikely Gus Malzahn will answer this question [at SEC Media Days], even if he knows the answer. He learned his lesson the last time he named a starting quarterback prior to fall camp, when Jeremy Johnson couldn't hold onto the job in 2015. It seems pretty obvious that Baylor transfer Jarrett Stidham will take over under center this year, but only after 2016 starter Sean White is given an opportunity to compete for the job while healthy. White missed the spring with a broken arm suffered in the Sugar Bowl, and Malzahn no doubt feels some loyalty to the quarterback whose steady play as a redshirt freshman probably saved the coach's job two years ago. Still, it appears to be only a matter of time before the more-talented Stidham wins the job outright.

Last time Gus got his hand called was by Cecil Newton, Sr. when he was OC.

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/Michael_Carvell/status/893186398626488321

They ... just ... keep ... stretching ... this ... out.

Cecil Newton, Sr. would have nothing of it back in Spring 2010.  Chizik and Gus caved and named Cam the starter going into the summer.

jbcarol

Stidham throws pick-six, sacked twice in Auburn scrimmage

QuoteMalzahn did not name a starting quarterback after the team's first scrimmage Monday, which was closed to the media.

Transfer Jarrett Stidham and returning starter Sean White continue to compete for the job and split time with the first-team offense.

"At times they both made plays," Malzahn said. "When you're looking at everything without watching the film, it's hard for me to say but I think both of them did good things at times."

True freshman Malik Willis got work with the second and third teams.

Linebacker Darrell Williams said he sacked Stidham twice while defensive back Jamel Dean picked off Stidham and returned it for a touchdown.

"We want to put that pressure on them, you know what I'm saying?" Wiliams said. "Because it's not going to be easy. For somebody you care about, you love, you're not just going to soften up on them because that's not what they're going to get in the real world. We put that into a game-like aspect and we try to pressure them and push them as hard as we can."

Williams added that Stephen Roberts also recorded an interception. Fellow safety Tray Matthews had the biggest tackle of the day on Tolbert, according to Williams.

The scrimmage lasted 100 plays, approximately half running and half passing, according to Malzahn. It also included live field goals and punt/punt returns.

"The good thing from my standpoint, it was hot, it was humid," Malzahn said. "It gave us really a good opportunity to see where we are from a mental toughness standpoint, having to push through.

"From a penalty standpoint, Anytime you rotate three groups you're going to have some and that's really what stood out to me. I just challenged out guys really on both sides of the football, we've got to be better next time we scrimmage."

The offense scored at least one touchdown from running back Kam Martin, but Malzahn was most impressed with the other side of the ball. He praised the defense's ability to stop the run as most of the carries went to Martin, Malik Miller, Devan Barrett and JaTarvious Whitlow.

jbcarol

As Jarrett Stidham prepares for Auburn's second scrimmage of fall camp, there are not many, if any, questions the former Baylor signal caller has to answer.

Gus Malzahn conceded Auburn's quarterback "competition" is not about learning more about Stidham, who has been at Auburn for 24 practices including four scrimmages as of Friday, but entirely about Sean White.

Quote"A lot of it probably has to do with Sean White," Malzahn said. "He wasn't able to go through spring and he got a new offensive coordinator. So it's probably more the other way than it is about having enough information about Jarrett. (Monday's) scrimmage was big. Next Saturday's scrimmage will be big and we'll see where we're at."

While there was at least one touchdown pass to Nate Craig-Myers, what appeared to be a long pass to Ryan Davis and a drive capped with a scoring run from Kam Martin, Malzahn could not immediately cite a specific big play by a quarterback on Monday, saying "all three of them did some good things, but all three of them have numerous things to work on." However, White threw two interceptions in Monday's scrimmage, including one returned for a touchdown.

There is nobody inside the program questioning Stidham's abilities, which led to his plus-16 passing grade from Pro Football Focus in 2015, as he enters a fifth scrimmage for the Tigers during his time on the Plains.