Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Call it High School if you wish.

Started by Piggfoot, October 01, 2017, 09:04:19 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Piggfoot

Sitting here watching Auburn and Miss St. and I have to say I really like Auburns offense. There is so much more deception in their offense. I'm still supporting Bielema for now but wish Enos would read Malzahn's book.
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

GunnerHawg70

grayhawg

The biggest difference in Arkansas and Auburn is not x's and o's, it's Jimmy and Joes

Danimal

I can't help but wonder if Enos is being "over-ruled" at times (especially in the red zone).

The Boar War

Quote from: Danimal on October 01, 2017, 09:16:02 pm
I can't help but wonder if Enos is being "over-ruled" at times (especially in the red zone).

Why?

Piggfoot

Quote from: grayhawg on October 01, 2017, 09:12:05 pm
The biggest difference in Arkansas and Auburn is not x's and o's, it's Jimmy and Joes
I realize they have better recruits than we do. But when you don't have the players to play smash mouth cram it down your throat I should think you would be more deceptive. We would be hard pressed to fake out Ray Charles with our run game.
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

TeufelHog

Attended the Auburn-MissState game yesterday and saw it first hand . . . it's "Jimmy's and Joe's."  "Grown-Arse-Men" obtained after numerous recruiting classes of 4 and 5* talent.  Size and speed in every position with depth at each position.

sowmonella

That offense requires having superior talent to be successful. It's basically the same 4 plays out of different sets.
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

Sed76

Have they changed? Used to be like 3 plays they ran. Hand off up the middle. Fake hand off where the QB keeps it running to the edge or a pass after faking the hand off.

JaketheSnake

Quote from: Sed76 on October 01, 2017, 09:40:22 pm
Have they changed? Used to be like 3 plays they ran. Hand off up the middle. Fake hand off where the QB keeps it running to the edge or a pass after faking the hand off.
Nothing has changed.  They run those plays and spread you out horizontally.  Then get you to bite then hit you vertically. 

HogInThaGrove

ShadowHawg

It's execution at a much higher level as well as Jimmie's and Joe's.

Execution has been awful under CBB.

Darren DeLoach

Quote from: HogInThaGrove on October 01, 2017, 10:25:19 pm
...and beat you by 50.

Yep, we lost badly. Thanks and go root for your team.

ο λογος υμων παντοτε εν χαριτι αλατι ηρτυμενος ειδεναι πως δει υμας ενι εκαστω αποκρινεσθαι

Hawghiggs

When Gus was at Tulsa he did a pretty good job.

NuttinItUp

The Gus-hate around here is hilarious whenever Auburn is mentioned.

ballz2thewall

The rest of the frog.

HardCore

Quote from: NuttinItUp on October 01, 2017, 11:01:26 pm

Probably going to be much more hate on the 21st & 22nd
Beware the lollipop of mediocrity; lick it once and you'll suck forever....Brian Wilson (Beach Boys)

Chief Mac

Quote from: Piggfoot on October 01, 2017, 09:04:19 pm
Sitting here watching Auburn and Miss St. and I have to say I really like Auburns offense. There is so much more deception in their offense. I'm still supporting Bielema for now but wish Enos would read Malzahn's book.

And how well did it run last year and the year before?  Amazing how awesome Gus' offense looks when he is able to bring in a QB someone else has developed.  Not so much when relying on a QB he and his staff develops
"We spend two hundred and fifty billion dollars a year on defense and here we are....the fate of the planet in the hands of a bunch of retards I wouldn't trust with a potato gun!

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: Chris McWilliams on October 02, 2017, 01:51:12 am
And how well did it run last year and the year before?  Amazing how awesome Gus' offense looks when he is able to bring in a QB someone else has developed.  Not so much when relying on a QB he and his staff develops

Tell the TU quarterback that.
His response to me:
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 13, 2016, 11:48:33 am
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

Chief Mac

Quote from: SooiecidetillNuttgone on October 02, 2017, 02:48:46 am
Tell the TU quarterback that.

Paul Smith was a two year starter at TU prior to St Gus the Pius and Dave Johnson backed Smith up for three years...next?
"We spend two hundred and fifty billion dollars a year on defense and here we are....the fate of the planet in the hands of a bunch of retards I wouldn't trust with a potato gun!

Al Boarland

2 things.

1. Auburn hired a new OC. Speed sweeps to stretch the D are pretty much a staple of every offense.

2. Enos pulled every gadget/misdirection play he had out against A&M.

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: NuttinItUp on October 01, 2017, 11:01:26 pm

...as is the Gus-love.
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

Jimbob111

Seriously?  Not so. The difference in the Xs and Os is night and day. If the difference in Jimmys and Joes was as great as the Xs and Os, Arkansas players would be 1 foot tall, winged, green skinned, anthropomorphic capybaras who use a mariachi band for cheerleaders.
"DO NOT POST IN THE GAME THREAD ANYMORE TODAY OR YOU WILL RECIEVE A 30 BAN!"--

Multiple play-by-play posters followed by "Good job, D" and "Way to go, Offense" is so interesting to read over and over as the team gets blown out and the coaches flounder. I can't figure out why game threads don't have 60 to 80 pages now.

Am I the only one that misses the old, interesting game threads?

Ex-Trumpet

Some of you forget that Gus ran that same offense while he was OC here.  Worked pretty well if I recall.
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

JaketheSnake

Quote from: Jimbob111 on October 02, 2017, 06:49:59 am
Seriously?  Not so. The difference in the Xs and Os is night and day. If the difference in Jimmys and Joes was as great as the Xs and Os, Arkansas players would be 1 foot tall, winged, green skinned, anthropomorphic capybaras who use a mariachi band for cheerleaders.
Auburn has more speed by far on the DL & LB.  They are in the middle of D1Recruit, USA.  We have speed on O, but our D is a little speed-limp.

The Boar War

October 02, 2017, 07:52:24 am #26 Last Edit: October 02, 2017, 08:49:06 am by The Boar War
Quote from: ballz2thewall on October 02, 2017, 12:26:09 am
because we're crammed in like sardines. we aren't a power team.

We're not really a finesse team either.  I don't doubt that Enos is given some guidelines but what makes you come to the conclusion that Enos has a great play called only to be overruled by Bielema's desire to run it up the middle?  I believe that most coaches would "go conservative" on the 2-3 yard line. 

Enos is in the enviable position of making all the good calls while the bad ones occur when "he's being overruled by Bert".

Jimbob111

Quote from: JaketheSnake on October 02, 2017, 07:52:15 am
Auburn has more speed by far on the DL & LB.  They are in the middle of D1Recruit, USA.  We have speed on O, but our D is a little speed-limp.

Speed on offense? Other than receivers who don't consistently get separation despite speed and Hayden and Williams, where is the speed? If it's there, like Hammonds, the coaches aren't getting it on the field.
"DO NOT POST IN THE GAME THREAD ANYMORE TODAY OR YOU WILL RECIEVE A 30 BAN!"--

Multiple play-by-play posters followed by "Good job, D" and "Way to go, Offense" is so interesting to read over and over as the team gets blown out and the coaches flounder. I can't figure out why game threads don't have 60 to 80 pages now.

Am I the only one that misses the old, interesting game threads?

DeltaBoy

Quote from: sowmonella on October 01, 2017, 09:39:11 pm
That offense requires having superior talent to be successful. It's basically the same 4 plays out of different sets.

Yes they say they have 20 plays total but they start with that basic 4 out of dozens of formations.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

hogsanity

Anyone who cant/wont see the difference in the players at the top SEC schools ( right now that would be Bama, Ga FLA and Aub ) and Arkansas is either blind or in denial. Yes, Auburn executes their 3 plays very well, but they are the same 3 plays they have been using since Gus got there. Difference is, just like 2010 and 2013 his players are just better than the teams he has played so far, except Clemson, but they were pretty level in talent with them. Last year and in 2015 when his talent level was down, especially at QB, they were not very good at all.

You people that keep acting like talent is meaningless, or that the Hogs have players just as good as anyone else are simply denying the most obvious factor of all, PLAYERS MATTER.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

HognotinMemphis

That's not possible. Bielema' recruiting classes have consistently been ranked in top 25. Last year's 56-3 loss to Auburn was just an aberration.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

Al Boarland

Quote from: sowmonella on October 01, 2017, 09:39:11 pm

Do you watch them play? The have a new OC and his fingerprints are all over the offense.

rljjr

Quote from: The Boar War on October 02, 2017, 07:52:24 am
We're not really a finesse team either.  I don't doubt that Enos is given some guidelines but what makes you come to the conclusion that Enos has a great play called only to be overruled by Bielema's desire to run it up the middle?  I believe that most coaches would "go conservative" on the 2-3 yard line. 

Enos is in the enviable position of making all the good calls while the bad ones occur when he's being overruled by Bert.

I hope calling him Bert makes you feel like a big man.

hogsanity

Quote from: HoginMemphis on October 02, 2017, 08:23:52 am
That's not possible. Bielema' recruiting classes have consistently been ranked in top 25. Last year's 56-3 loss to Auburn was just an aberration.

I know you know better than that. Top 25 classes might still only be 10th or 11th in the SEC.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

bphi11ips

Quote from: hogsanity on October 02, 2017, 08:20:10 am
Anyone who cant/wont see the difference in the players at the top SEC schools ( right now that would be Bama, Ga FLA and Aub ) and Arkansas is either blind or in denial. Yes, Auburn executes their 3 plays very well, but they are the same 3 plays they have been using since Gus got there. Difference is, just like 2010 and 2013 his players are just better than the teams he has played so far, except Clemson, but they were pretty level in talent with them. Last year and in 2015 when his talent level was down, especially at QB, they were not very good at all.

You people that keep acting like talent is meaningless, or that the Hogs have players just as good as anyone else are simply denying the most obvious factor of all, PLAYERS MATTER.

Auburn holds a 13-11–1 lead in the series since Arkansas joined the SEC.  what do you think that says about the Jimmy's at Joe's at each school overtime?
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

The Boar War

Quote from: rljjr on October 02, 2017, 08:31:26 am
I hope calling him Bert makes you feel like a big man.

Sorry.  Should have put that in quotes to go along with the sentiment of someone who believes Coach Bielema is overriding all the good plays at the goal line.  I don't understand the "Bert" nickname myself.

hogsanity

Quote from: bphi11ips on October 02, 2017, 08:43:37 am

Auburn holds a 13-11–1 lead in the series since Arkansas joined the SEC.  what do you think that says about the Jimmy's at Joe's at each school overtime?

In Auburns last 4 wins in the series, they were ranked 7, 11, 6, & 21 at the time of the game. IN the Hogs last 4 wins, the Hogs were unranked in 3 of those, and #10 in the other game. I mean the horrible JLS 2012 team beat Auburn.

What it tells me is just what I said, when Gus has really good players at key spots for what he likes to do, they are really really good. It tells me when they talent level is equal, the Hogs win. Auburn has won 3 of the last 4, and they have been recruiting in or near the top 10 for the past 5 years too.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: hogsanity on October 02, 2017, 08:34:53 am
I know you know better than that. Top 25 classes might still only be 10th or 11th in the SEC.
Whut?? That can't be true. Say it ain't so!
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

FANONTHEHILL

My simple wish about every aspect of the offense is to open things up like Auburn does.  We are yet to see the full wide open, multiple formation and multiple sets,  that Coach Enos ran at Central Michigan.  When Bielema hired Pittman, it was bring in huge guys thay could go straight downhill at people.  When Enos got here, he wanted guys that could move in space and get out on sweeps and screens.  Pittman didn't like it and left. What I think has happened is that the physique of the Oline has evolved, but the philosophy that new physique is designed for is yet to fully evolve.  You can run straight into an eight man front when you're 340+ across the line.  They aren't that anymore.  Opening things up and letting RBs work in space could help. Especially in the red zone.  Part of the issue with sacks is a vast majority of our passes come from under center and/or play action.  There aren't many teams in the country that can rely on their entire Oline blocking every pass play one in one. Add TJ that when the QB turns his back on the rush, it's tougher to slide to avoid the rush before stepping up in the pocket.  Being in the shotgun gives the QB a better view of pressure and a pocket to step up in to.  Auburn also throws a lot of timing routes rather than read routes.  Put the ball in a spot and the receiver will be there.  I'm not a huge fan of every aspect of the Malzahn offense, but their are aspects of it hat could work at Arkansas.  The power run game can still be a part of it.  We saw that eight the power spread that was ran under Petrino.   Basically what I'm saying is that I believe that at times they are too conservative with the personnel that have on campus.
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

bphi11ips

Quote from: hogsanity on October 02, 2017, 08:51:08 am
In Auburns last 4 wins in the series, they were ranked 7, 11, 6, & 21 at the time of the game. IN the Hogs last 4 wins, the Hogs were unranked in 3 of those, and #10 in the other game. I mean the horrible JLS 2012 team beat Auburn.

What it tells me is just what I said, when Gus has really good players at key spots for what he likes to do, they are really really good. It tells me when they talent level is equal, the Hogs win. Auburn has won 3 of the last 4, and they have been recruiting in or near the top 10 for the past 5 years too.

Going back to 2002, using rivals' recruiting rankings, Auburn averages recruiting classes in the top 10, and Arkansas averages classes in the mid-20s. Since 2005, the record in the series is 6–6. According to your theory, Auburn should be 12–0, correct?

hogsanity

Quote from: bphi11ips on October 02, 2017, 09:10:14 am
Going back to 2002, using rivals' recruiting rankings, Auburn averages recruiting classes in the top 10, and Arkansas averages classes in the mid-20s. Since 2005, the record in the series is 6–6. So, according to your theory, Auburn should be 12–0, correct?

No, I was very clear, I said since Gus arrived as OC, and I know he took a year off to go to ASU, when they had had his type of QB, a big play WR and a couple good backs, they are really really good. When he has Sean White, or similar at QB, they are not good at all regardless of overall talent. This year they have a really good D as well.

bphi11ips

Quote from: hogsanity on October 02, 2017, 09:15:24 am
No, I was very clear, I said since Gus arrived as OC, and I know he took a year off to go to ASU, when they had had his type of QB, a big play WR and a couple good backs, they are really really good. When he has Sean White, or similar at QB, they are not good at all regardless of overall talent. This year they have a really good D as well.

Oh, I thought you said "when the talent level is equal, the hogs win." When has Auburn and Arkansas's talent level been equal according to recruiting rankings in the last 15 years? When has it been equal since Malzahn arrived at Auburn?

RazorPiggie

NuttinItUp

The Iron Bowl might be pretty good this year.

hogsanity

Quote from: bphi11ips on October 02, 2017, 09:19:11 am

Oh, I thought you said "when the talent level is equal, the hogs win." When has Auburn and Arkansas's talent level been equal according to recruiting rankings in the last 15 years? When has it been equal since Malzahn arrived at Auburn?

When I talk about equal I am referring to one teams D against another teams O and vice versa. Recruiting #'s can be skewed by a really good class on one side of the ball. People tend to look and say who has the best Qb or who has the best OL. The Ol's are not lining up against each other. Is one teams Ol better than the other teams D line? Are my Wr's better than your db's? Those determine who has better talent. I can have 4 5 star qb's on my roster, but only one can play. But if I have 8 5 star dlmen on my roster I can play 4 at a time.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: bphi11ips on October 02, 2017, 09:10:14 am
Going back to 2002, using rivals' recruiting rankings, Auburn averages recruiting classes in the top 10, and Arkansas averages classes in the mid-20s. Since 2005, the record in the series is 6–6. According to your theory, Auburn should be 12–0, correct?

That is logical to me. I guess that deception type offense only wins so many games and not all of them.

P.S. The last time I checked play action which we use is a form of deception. Just a different type than the option based ones like gussy poo uses.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: NuttinItUp on October 02, 2017, 09:22:55 am
The Iron Bowl might be pretty good this year.

I doubt Saban will line up for a long field goal the last play of regulation................... ;)
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

HotlantaHog

Malzahn is a very good coach. If he is smart, he will be looking for an exit at the end of the season. Pretty clear he will never be good enough to keep Auburn folks happy so long as Saban is in the same state.

Pigsknuckles

The Auburn defense against MS was a buzz saw. Gave up a few yards, but not when it counted. MS only had 7 3rd down conversions out of 21 attempts, and gave up 2 INT's. MS didn't help it's cause with 10 penalties. Auburn had almost 10 minutes less possession time, but made good use of every bit of it. October 21 will be a test on both sides of the ball, and could get ugly early.
"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

jmark

Darrell Royal used a high school offense, ...the wishbone"
40/29 News Confirms Houston Nutt Will Not Return In 2008
POSTED: 3:49 pm CST November 16, 2007