Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

UCA likely to jump to #4 in the FCS polls

Started by Sweet Feet, October 22, 2017, 08:36:09 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Sweet Feet

UCA was previously ranked #6 this past week. With two teams losing in the Top 5 (South Dakota and Wofford), UCA should be climbing up to #4 in the nation.

The Bears continue to move up and are again, the most impressive college football team in Arkansas. Would probably beat ASU again and come close to beating the Hogs.

Seminole Indian

I only saw the Stephen F. Austin game on ESPN3, so not sure about the "probably would beat A-State again",  but a very good football team.
"In truth, knowledge is a great and very useful quality; those who despise it give evidence enough of their stupidity. Yet I do not set its value at that extreme measure that some attribute to it." - Michel de Montaigne

Wardhog85

Took my son to watch them play Sam Houston. Love the way they play. They are physical and they attack on defense. On offense they establish the run and burn you with play action. They look very well coached too. They have a few players on defense that the Hogs could use.

asuato

UCA would have no chance against ASU right now. ASU is pumping on all cylinders. Held a ULL team that was scoring in the 30s to 3 pts. and scored 47 on them.

hog of steele

Go bears. I don't think they would beat asu more than 1 or 2 out of ten. But I love the UCA guys making the point. This is why we should never play asu. Asu will have to hear this tripe until they play again.

Seminole Indian

The game last year should have been a blowout for A-State, as should their game against Utah St the week before. No one who saw those games got the impression those two teams were even close to A-State in talent.

Coaching was a whole different story and the UCA game got Anderson a late into the night, up close and personal visit with their AD. Things have not been the same since.

Not sure how this UCA team compares to last years but this years A-State team is better than last years.

If they played and A-State played as bad as they played last year UCA could beat them again but they could beat a majority of FBS teams because they are a good team.

"In truth, knowledge is a great and very useful quality; those who despise it give evidence enough of their stupidity. Yet I do not set its value at that extreme measure that some attribute to it." - Michel de Montaigne

porkmeister

Quote from: hog of steele on October 22, 2017, 10:31:10 pm
This is why we should never play asu. Asu will have to hear this tripe until they play again.
I am not a State fan.  I'm glad to see them do well though but I am really a UCA fan.  As a UCA fan I will say that at least State has the balls to play in state schools.  Using the loss of ASU to hide behind seems especially cowardly.  I respect State because they are willing to play even though they have the chance of losing.  Arkansas won't even play UCA.  They will play Missouri State but not UCA.  Unless Arkansas wants to man up and play in state schools it would probably be best not to knock the schools that do. 

Seminole Indian

Quote from: GolfNut57 on October 23, 2017, 06:57:53 am
I wanna see a link about that comment!
To long ago, but I'm sure if you posted on their message board they would help you with multiple sources.

That was what has been reported on their message board, the Jonesboro Sun, and on the various sports talk shows. Not 100% sure but think Anderson has also mentioned it.

Was also reported that Anderson and their AD reviewed every play of the game on that long uncomfortable night.

I have deleted your original post, and modified your quote  because you implied that I was making up crap. Might get things screwed up from time to time, or express an opinion, but don't make things up. 

Sweet Feet

Quote from: Seminole Indian on October 23, 2017, 06:53:45 am
The game last year should have been a blowout for A-State, as should their game against Utah St the week before. No one who saw those games got the impression those two teams were even close to A-State in talent.
UCA clearly was the better team last year. Had more 1st Downs, forced 4 turnovers, converted twice as many 3rd downs, and controlled the time of possession. And that was AT Jonesboro. There's no reason to believe the way they look now, UCA could possibly beat or hang with ASU

Seminole Indian

Quote from: Sweet Feet on October 23, 2017, 01:42:41 pm
UCA clearly was the better team last year. Had more 1st Downs, forced 4 turnovers, converted twice as many 3rd downs, and controlled the time of possession. And that was AT Jonesboro. There's no reason to believe the way they look now, UCA could possibly beat or hang with ASU

You are just trying to rewrite history, but yes UCA could beat A-State this year if they did not show-up to play.

ULL was a big underdog like UCA was last year and embarrassed them, and paid the price last Thursday.

As for UCA them being a better team, even the posters on their message board did not say UCA was the better team, just that they won.

A-State played like a bad 0-3 team going threw the motions while playing a 17 point underdog and paid the price for overlooking them.

A-State, threw for over 400 yards, and had they not ran the ball 34 times for a 1.9 ypc average( which their HC said was the pregame plan) , could have thrown for over 500 yds.  When you add those special team breakdowns in the return game , five fumbles, and the ill advised decision use a walk-on on the sweep where he tried to lateral the ball, almost any team in Division one could have beaten them.

All that said, UCA should have some fun with it.

hog of steele

Quote from: porkmeister on October 23, 2017, 07:21:43 am
I am not a State fan.  I'm glad to see them do well though but I am really a UCA fan.  As a UCA fan I will say that at least State has the balls to play in state schools.  Using the loss of ASU to hide behind seems especially cowardly.  I respect State because they are willing to play even though they have the chance of losing.  Arkansas won't even play UCA.  They will play Missouri State but not UCA.  Unless Arkansas wants to man up and play in state schools it would probably be best not to knock the schools that do.

You are mistaking courage and stupidity. It's an easy mistake to make. I don't doubt asu's nuts. I doubt the intelligence of their choice. Playing UCA did ASU no good. It emboldened UCA and their fans and now you have to hear it. Better to not allow that kind of noise in the state.

But it was great for the UCA Bears. They circled that game and gave it their best. The win allows them to feel like a stronger program and gives them some bragging rights. If the ASU athletic director is trying to improve UCA's program at the expense of his own, he is doing a great job.

Sweet Feet

Quote from: hog of steele on October 23, 2017, 03:53:38 pm
You are mistaking courage and stupidity. It's an easy mistake to make. I don't doubt asu's nuts. I doubt the intelligence of their choice. Playing UCA did ASU no good. It emboldened UCA and their fans and now you have to hear it. Better to not allow that kind of noise in the state.

But it was great for the UCA Bears. They circled that game and gave it their best. The win allows them to feel like a stronger program and gives them some bragging rights. If the ASU athletic director is trying to improve UCA's program at the expense of his own, he is doing a great job.
What is "college sports"? lol literally every D1 school in America does this and is totally fine at the end of the day. Cowering away from a team because you are scared of what the other side is going to say is really not a champion mindset. Im sure Oklahoma had to hear it in 96 when they lost to Tulsa. Or VT when they lost to James Madison. Even Scar when they lost to furman. And guess what? they are just fine as programs.

If colleges had this mindset of thinking, we wouldn't have most of our legendary rivalries

Sweet Feet

Quote from: Seminole Indian on October 23, 2017, 02:07:00 pm
You are just trying to rewrite history, but yes UCA could beat A-State this year if they did not show-up to play.

ULL was a big underdog like UCA was last year and embarrassed them, and paid the price last Thursday.

As for UCA them being a better team, even the posters on their message board did not say UCA was the better team, just that they won.

A-State played like a bad 0-3 team going threw the motions while playing a 17 point underdog and paid the price for overlooking them.

A-State, threw for over 400 yards, and had they not ran the ball 34 times for a 1.9 ypc average( which their HC said was the pregame plan) , could have thrown for over 500 yds.  When you add those special team breakdowns in the return game , five fumbles, and the ill advised decision use a walk-on on the sweep where he tried to lateral the ball, almost any team in Division one could have beaten them.

All that said, UCA should have some fun with it.
No history to be rewritten. Those were actual game stats i gave.
The better team won last year. What I am really seeing from what you are saying is just excuses. UCA was more physical and Campbell outcoached Anderson.

hog of steele

Quote from: Sweet Feet on October 23, 2017, 04:22:19 pm
What is "college sports"? lol literally every D1 school in America does this and is totally fine at the end of the day. Cowering away from a team because you are scared of what the other side is going to say is really not a champion mindset. Im sure Oklahoma had to hear it in 96 when they lost to Tulsa. Or VT when they lost to James Madison. Even Scar when they lost to furman. And guess what? they are just fine as programs.

If colleges had this mindset of thinking, we wouldn't have most of our legendary rivalries

Ok doesn't want to play ok state. The state is divided.  ASU would love to be our rival. I would be all about playing them if they get up to that level. But tell me what ASU gained from losing to UCA.

porkmeister

Quote from: hog of steele on October 23, 2017, 04:53:54 pm
Ok doesn't want to play ok state. The state is divided.  ASU would love to be our rival. I would be all about playing them if they get up to that level. But tell me what ASU gained from losing to UCA.

Of course ASU would love to rival Arkansas that isn't realistic though and I expect most State fans realize that.  It isn't crazy or unusual though for schools in the same state to play one another.  Just because UCA beat ASU in a single game doesn't mean that anyone really thinks that UCA has a better football program.  What ASU shows every year is the courage and the toughness to take on any team willing to play them.  Arkansas may have more money, resources and history but ASU has more heart.  That is more and more clear every that Arkansas runs away from in state schools. 

hog of steele

Quote from: porkmeister on October 23, 2017, 05:47:53 pm
Of course ASU would love to rival Arkansas that isn't realistic though and I expect most State fans realize that.  It isn't crazy or unusual though for schools in the same state to play one another.  Just because UCA beat ASU in a single game doesn't mean that anyone really thinks that UCA has a better football program.  What ASU shows every year is the courage and the toughness to take on any team willing to play them.  Arkansas may have more money, resources and history but ASU has more heart.  That is more and more clear every that Arkansas runs away from in state schools.

More heart. Lol.

I take it the answer to my question was "nothing." That is really the point. We can cloud it with emotional questions about manhood and "heart," But the UofA isn't a charity for the benefit ofASU. If it doesn't help the hogs, they shouldn't play. Simple as that.

porkmeister

Quote from: hog of steele on October 23, 2017, 05:51:18 pm
More heart. Lol.

I take it the answer to my question was "nothing." That is really the point. We can cloud it with emotional questions about manhood and "heart," But the UofA isn't a charity for the benefit ofASU. If it doesn't help the hogs, they shouldn't play. Simple as that.

I would hope that college football is more than just dollars and cents.  I don't see what Arkansas gains from running away.  Being afraid opposing fans will talk trash is no reason to run away.  I'm also saying that Arkansas should play UCA.  Arkansas plays other Southland programs but they refuse to play the Bears too. 

hog of steele

Quote from: porkmeister on October 23, 2017, 06:10:49 pm
I would hope that college football is more than just dollars and cents.  I don't see what Arkansas gains from running away.  Being afraid opposing fans will talk trash is no reason to run away.  I'm also saying that Arkansas should play UCA.  Arkansas plays other Southland programs but they refuse to play the Bears too.

The way I know this is emotional is the loaded words you keep using. I love UCA. I was in the band there for four years. It would be great for them to have a regular game against AR (assuming the SEC continues to allow Iaa games).

But it isn't a good move for UofA. Nobody is "running." There just isn't a legit benefit for AR to play them. If we ducked them in a tourney that would be different. If we declined a bowl because of the matchup, that would be different. This isn't that.

Tell me what ASU gained from loosing to UCA.

porkmeister

Quote from: hog of steele on October 23, 2017, 06:16:43 pm
The way I know this is emotional is the loaded words you keep using. I love UCA. I was in the band there for four years. It would be great for them to have a regular game against AR (assuming the SEC continues to allow Iaa games).

But it isn't a good move for UofA. Nobody is "running." There just isn't a legit benefit for AR to play them. If we ducked them in a tourney that would be different. If we declined a bowl because of the matchup, that would be different. This isn't that.

Tell me what ASU gained from loosing to UCA.

ASU wouldn't gain anything from losing to a FCS team.  It didn't hurt them losing to UCA anymore than it would have to lose to any Southland school. Just like losing to ASU wouldn't hurt Arkansas anymore than losing to any Sunbelt team. 

hog of steele

Quote from: porkmeister on October 23, 2017, 07:44:06 pm
ASU wouldn't gain anything from losing to a FCS team.  It didn't hurt them losing to UCA anymore than it would have to lose to any Southland school. Just like losing to ASU wouldn't hurt Arkansas anymore than losing to any Sunbelt team.

I disagree. But let's skip that for the sake of argument. So it hurts losing and if nothing else, you have to spend severeral threads arguing that it was a fluke and that ASU is better than UCA. If you lost to another distant team, their fans wouldn't be around bringing it up all the time.

At that to the state goodwill loss and you have the reason we shouldn't play ASU.

GolfNut57

Quote from: hog of steele on October 23, 2017, 08:24:36 pm
I disagree. But let's skip that for the sake of argument. So it hurts losing and if nothing else, you have to spend severeral threads arguing that it was a fluke and that ASU is better than UCA. If you lost to another distant team, their fans wouldn't be around bringing it up all the time.

At that to the state goodwill loss and you have the reason we shouldn't play ASU.

State goodwill loss? How much love you getting from the state so far this year with a 2-5 record? Hell, 75% of the hog fans I have seen are ready to run Bret out of town tarred and feathered.
"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented." Arnold Palmer.

hog of steele

Quote from: GolfNut57 on October 23, 2017, 08:56:52 pm
State goodwill loss? How much love you getting from the state so far this year with a 2-5 record? Hell, 75% of the hog fans I have seen are ready to run Bret out of town tarred and feathered.

Non sequitur!

Sweet Feet

Quote from: hog of steele on October 23, 2017, 04:53:54 pm
Ok doesn't want to play OK state, but will schedule Tulsa on a semi-annual basis? lol that contracts that statement.

ASU gained the same thing losing to UCA as they did when they beat them in 2011.....Point being is there is no empirical evidence that playing, or losing, to a smaller instate opponent harms the other team. Tennessee with Manning lost to Memphis in 1996 and won a title in 1998. OU lost to Tulsa in 1996 and won in 2000. VT lost to JMU in 2010 and ripped off 11 straight wins and an ACC title that same season.

If you are a real program, you aren't going to be afraid of playing or losing to an instate team and hoping they don't steal your fanbase etc. ASU lost to UCA and still won a share of the Sun Belt title.

hog of steele

Do you get a nickel for every time you type "fear?" It's just not a fear issue. It's simply good sense. If we don't play in state teams, we leave room for folks to root for both. If we play in state teams, people are forced to choose. You can say fear and question manhood until you are blue in the face, it doesn't change the discussion here. Probably goes over great on ASU and UCA boards though.

Sweet Feet

i didn't even type in the word "fear" that last post, but ok lol...

And i love how you didn't refute the examples of other programs playing instate teams, losing, and coming back stronger. Proving that again, no harsh consequences come from playing instate teams.

The policy is here and it is what it is. But that doesn't mean the reason isn't irrational or makes no sense. The excuse is to let fans "root for both" which is hilarious because all you have to do is look on hogville and see how much hog fans "support" ASU lol.

Seminole Indian

Quote from: hog of steele on October 24, 2017, 05:00:09 pm
Do you get a nickel for every time you type "fear?" It's just not a fear issue. It's simply good sense. If we don't play in state teams, we leave room for folks to root for both. If we play in state teams, people are forced to choose. You can say fear and question manhood until you are blue in the face, it doesn't change the discussion here. Probably goes over great on ASU and UCA boards though.
'
Actually almost never on UCA's board, every once in a while on A-State's, but a lot here.

This is IMO pretty much the consensus out of state.

https://www.seccountry.com/arkansas/arkansas-arkansas-state-rivalry

hog of steele

I don't think that author is speaking for the state. I don't know why you would think he is scepter that he agrees with you.

Seminole Indian

October 24, 2017, 08:09:12 pm #27 Last Edit: October 25, 2017, 01:53:06 pm by Seminole Indian
Personally I don't care one way or the other, just expressed an opinion, and you can go to UCA's, and ASU's message board and read the post for the last few years and compare them to how often the subject is brought up here and form your own opinion. 

It is also my opinion that the majority of people in Arkansas, and the Arkansas media are in favor of the teams playing.

I've seen the subject addressed a few times on message boards and by the media out-of-state, I don't recall anyone ever saying not playing was a good idea.

hog of steele

October 24, 2017, 08:22:19 pm #28 Last Edit: October 25, 2017, 01:53:22 pm by Seminole Indian
Quote from: Seminole Indian on October 24, 2017, 08:09:12 pm
Personally I don't care one way or the other, just expressed an opinion, and you can go to UCA's, and ASU's message board and read the post for the last few years and compare them to how often the subject is brought up here and form your own opinion. 

It is also my opinion that the majority of people in Arkansas, and the Arkansas media are in favor of the teams playing.

I've seen the subject addressed a few times on message boards and by the media out-of-state, I don't recall anyone ever saying not playing was a good idea.

I dont think you took my point. I didn't say that ASU and UCA talk about a possible game. I said that saying "the reason the game doesn't happen is fear" probably plays well to that crowd.

I also said that I don't think the article posted captures the feeling of the state in general. It does represent a big part of the region I Iive in. But NE Arkansas is unique in it's thoughts on this issue.

Seminole Indian

There is fear involved on the part of the UofA, but no more so than with any business decision.

I've never seen any data showing that not playing the game hurts the UofA financially, or that playing it would benefit them financially, but I can see some risk.

The decision as to whether or not to reverse the long standing  policy of not scheduling in-state schools should be up to the people in charge at UofA, because they get paid to do what they feel is best for the UofA.

hog of steele

Quote from: Seminole Indian on October 24, 2017, 08:36:42 pm
The decision as to whether or not to reverse the long standing  policy of not scheduling in-state schools should be up to the people in charge at UofA, because they get paid to do what they feel is best for the UofA.

This is my point. It's a risk (no matter how slight) without possible reward. And the loss of goodwill from guys like me (I root for all in state schools) is a cost not worth paying.

I don't follow this but I saw in the comments a guy who said ASU wants to play this on a 50/50 basis. Like home and home or neutral field. Is that true or just a guy saying stuff?

Seminole Indian

October 24, 2017, 09:22:24 pm #31 Last Edit: October 24, 2017, 09:37:11 pm by Seminole Indian
I don't recall anyone employed in a official capacity at A-State saying anything other than they think the teams should play, and most were responding to questions.

My impression is that it really has not been a big issue since A-State made it back to the top classification. I think that will remain the case as long as the the Alabama's of the world are willing to play them and write the big checks.

It is also my impression that the subject is normally brought up on their message board in response to it being brought up on a Razorback message board, or by  the media.

GolfNut57

Quote from: hog of steele on October 24, 2017, 09:14:08 pm
This is my point. It's a risk (no matter how slight) without possible reward. And the loss of goodwill from guys like me (I root for all in state schools) is a cost not worth paying.

I don't follow this but I saw in the comments a guy who said ASU wants to play this on a 50/50 basis. Like home and home or neutral field. Is that true or just a guy saying stuff?

As an ASU fan I don't care if the two schools never play each other. At one point when I was younger I felt different but my feelings changed on that some time ago. But IF they ever did the game should be in LR every year at the dreaded WMS with the 2 schools splitting the expenses down the middle such as rental of the facilities and the like. It would be a guaranteed sellout, and perhaps the proceeds could go to some local charity.
"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented." Arnold Palmer.

hog of steele

Quote from: GolfNut57 on October 25, 2017, 01:28:43 pm
As an ASU fan I don't care if the two schools never play each other. At one point when I was younger I felt different but my feelings changed on that some time ago. But IF they ever did the game should be in LR every year at the dreaded WMS with the 2 schools splitting the expenses down the middle such as rental of the facilities and the like. It would be a guaranteed sellout, and perhaps the proceeds could go to some local charity.

That would certainly be a fly in the ointment. AR is not going to give up a home game for a sunbelt match. Essentially, that would be UA paying to play ASU. The writing is in the wall for WM. AR isn't going to be playing there for much longer. Even home games on that field cost to much money.