Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Flacco hurt, Mallett to get reps

Started by TexHog188, July 27, 2017, 12:16:45 am

Previous topic - Next topic

TexHog188

Can't link, but Bleacher Report story ....  "So long as Flacco is sidelined, backup Ryan Mallett should see the bulk of the first-team snaps in practice."
"When you're around people that have been where you're trying to go, they know the answers."  Moses Moody

kodiakisland

July 27, 2017, 03:07:26 am #1 Last Edit: July 27, 2017, 04:11:31 am by kodiakisland
http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/bs-sp-ravens-mainbar-0608-20160607-story.html

QuoteAfter rifling a few passes through ridiculously tight windows to receivers when the Ravens were practicing outside before a threat of a thunderstorm moved the team to their indoor practice field, Mallett had some issues toward the end of the workout in his decision-making and execution.

In the space of three plays, Mallett was intercepted twice on similar corner routes. A few plays later, after Mallett appeared to botch a snap from center, offensive coordinator Marc Trestman took him aside and put a hand on the quarterback's shoulder.

Well crap, that's an old article from the last time Flacco was hurt.

Try this:  http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/ravens-insider/bs-sp-ravens-joe-flacco-training-camp-20170726-story.html

There was even an article from 2015 about Flacco hurt and Mallett.  Flacco must be hurt a lot.
If gun control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome. http://heyjackass.com/

FANONTHEHILL

Quote from: kodiakisland on July 27, 2017, 03:07:26 am
http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/bs-sp-ravens-mainbar-0608-20160607-story.html

Well crap, that's an old article from the last time Flacco was hurt.

Try this:  http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/ravens-insider/bs-sp-ravens-joe-flacco-training-camp-20170726-story.html

There was even an article from 2015 about Flacco hurt and Mallett.  Flacco must be hurt a lot.

I was wondering.  I watched a CFL game a few days ago and Trestman is the head coach of the Toronto Argonauts this year.  Hopefully Ryan take advantage of his opportunity.  He was in town his summer throwing routes.  My son went to get in some extra snaps at center and said that Ryan was a good guy and great to work with. 
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

hoglady

Listening to ESPN this morning - talking about the Ravens possibly signing Kaepernick????
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

onebadrubi

Quote from: hoglady on July 27, 2017, 07:57:15 am
Listening to ESPN this morning - talking about the Ravens possibly signing Kaepernick????

If your started is hurt you need a third QB

RedyorNot

Well, after reading that article, I won't be taking any Ravens in my fantasy league draft.

Dr. Starcs

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on July 27, 2017, 07:17:20 am
I was wondering.  I watched a CFL game a few days ago and Trestman is the head coach of the Toronto Argonauts this year.  Hopefully Ryan take advantage of his opportunity.  He was in town his summer throwing routes.  My son went to get in some extra snaps at center and said that Ryan was a good guy and great to work with. 

But did he bring a scantron? Lol

Tusks

I don't think theres any way 'kneel and be real' will be signed in Baltimore.  Remember when the riots kept fans and players from leaving an Orioles game last summer.  I just don't see it, but the NFL never ceases to amaze.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

Kevin

dan Patrick ask the same thing about signing colin.

liberals push for liberals.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

longpig

Kaepernick would be a smart hire if the price is right. Any team with Mallett on the sideline also needs a couple more that can handle contact, because he never has and never will handle contact.  Damn shame because he has everything else.
Don't be scared, be smart.

RazorbackToTheFuture

Quote from: longpig on July 27, 2017, 11:44:46 am
Kaepernick would be a smart hire if the price is right. Any team with Mallett on the sideline also needs a couple more that can handle contact, because he never has and never will handle contact.  Damn shame because he has everything else.

Everything except an alarm clock

longpig

Don't be scared, be smart.

Iwastherein1969

The long Grey line will never fail our country.

bennyl08

Colin would be a great hire by the Falcons. He is one of the few qb's who actually has a stronger arm than Mallett and would fit right in with their offense. Flacco, Mallett, Kaepernick would be one of the deeper qb units in the NFL in terms of talent and experience.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

hoglady

Quote from: zeke_in_kc on July 27, 2017, 04:13:33 pm
"Mallett connected with wide receiver Breshad Perriman on a 50-yard touchdown throw-and-catch down the right sideline and showed off the arm strength to zip passes into tight windows. But he also was intercepted twice, fumbled a snap from center Ryan Jensen, and had problems on timing routes." -- The Baltimore Sun (today).

In other words, he's Ryan Mallett.

And there's old Zeke - I knew you would show up in this thread to get some Mallett bashing in.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."

hoglady

They were talking today about NFL numbers being down last year - said the survey showed 25% of the people who tuned out did it because of Kaepernick.
Maybe the NFL would just prefer him to disappear.

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: zeke_in_kc on July 27, 2017, 04:13:33 pm
"Mallett connected with wide receiver Breshad Perriman on a 50-yard touchdown throw-and-catch down the right sideline and showed off the arm strength to zip passes into tight windows. But he also was intercepted twice, fumbled a snap from center Ryan Jensen, and had problems on timing routes." -- The Baltimore Sun (today).

In other words, he's Ryan Mallett.
yeah, that guy who has taken the Hogs further since the 80's than any other QB...what a hater

onebadrubi

Quote from: zeke_in_kc on July 28, 2017, 02:13:36 am
Facts are facts: one good play and three crappy ones.

"Ryan Mallett."  If there's an issue, blame his performance.

I'm sorry you failed to comprehend the sentence that says PASSES (plural
Meaning more than one) into tight windows. 

You hate him so much you can't even read you're own quote properly

Mallett must have stole your girlfriend while at Fayetteville or something.

NinoHogUNIA

Funny how people feel Kap should just go away because of the issues he raised. Not let's look at the problem because looking in the mirror makes me uncomfortable.  He's the anti-OJ didn't hurt or kill anyone.   I guess athlete's should just run and jump for our pleasure. 
BIE

onebadrubi

Quote from: NinoHogUNIA on July 28, 2017, 06:51:55 am
Funny how people feel Kap should just go away because of the issues he raised. Not let's look at the problem because looking in the mirror makes me uncomfortable.  He's the anti-OJ didn't hurt or kill anyone.   I guess athlete's should just run and jump for our pleasure.

There are legitimate concerns with his abilities.   His skill set only fits a few select teams that already have QB's.  If he can play and help an NFL team he will make a roster. 

There was also some info leaked out of his camp that he was asking for insane money just to kind of create these kind of conversations, almost to create a pitty party.

hoglady

People watch the NFL for entertainment purposes, when it gets political and controversial / for some folks it quits being entertaining. If they want politics and controversy they can turn on CNN, Fox News or MSNBC.

oldhawg

Quote from: hoglady on July 28, 2017, 07:53:34 am
People watch the NFL for entertainment purposes, when it gets political and controversial / for some folks it quits being entertaining. If they want politics and controversy they can turn on CNN, Fox News or MSNBC.

Excellent point. Sports should be an alternative to anything political (with the exception of Jesse Owens and the 1936 olympics).

theFlyingHog

Exactly right. I go to sports to get away from that stuff.

31to6

Funny how people feel Kap should just go away because of the issues he raised.
Incorrect.

I want him to go away because of what he did.

He could have chosen 1000 different ways to raise awareness and voice his grievances.

He chose one that offends me mightily.

Why he did it is immaterial.

PorkRinds

People can want in one hand and darn in the other and see which fills up faster.  Even NFL players have a right to express themselves. If he wasn't breaking rules there's no issue.

hawganatic

It's not so much his actions, it's the arena that he did it in.  Like other people have already stated, we watch sports to escape from everything else going on in the world (at least one of the reasons we watch sports).  Him bringing that to game day is the primary reason for the backlash. 

A few years ago Bob Costas went on a rant about gun control during halftime of a Sunday night game.  I have the same opinion towards him that I do about Kap.   They both have every right to speak out, just don't force it on me by bringing it to a forum I have other reasons for following.

Outside of that Kap's actions really didn't have any material affect on what he was protesting on.  It got the media stirred up (which isn't really hard to do), but what positive really came out of kneeling like he did?  People far more prominent than a second string NFL quarterback were already raising the same issues.   I would have respected his actions a lot more if he had come out with plans and ideas on correcting what he was speaking out against. 

hoglady

Quote from: PorkRinds on July 28, 2017, 10:54:50 am
People can want in one hand and darn in the other and see which fills up faster.  Even NFL players have a right to express themselves. If he wasn't breaking rules there's no issue.

No one said they didn't.
Find someplace else to voice political opinions than the football field.
I don't turn into the NFL for political commentary.

Gonzo

Quote from: PorkRinds on July 28, 2017, 10:54:50 am

Of course he has the right to express his opinion, just as the fans have the right to find other avenues of entertainment if they disagree with his views, and just as the owners in the NFL have the right to factor in fan reaction to their business decisions about him. What he does not have is a right to be free of any repercussions of expressing those opinions.  Simply "not breaking a rule" doesn't mean there are no issues to be addressed. Clearly there are.

CK's problem is not that he expressed his opinion. It is that his talent is not of the caliber to outweigh the issues his presence would bring to any team that signs him. If he were a truly top flight QB, he would have a job already. He is a midlevel starter at best, likely a career journeyman or backup, and the NFL can find plenty QBs of similar quality who don't bring the same media circus and distractions.

While I may not agree with his views on some issues, I don't begrudge the man making those views known. However, when placing blame for his current plight regardging NFL employment, his first action should be a long look in the mirror.

Go Hogs!

Tusks

Quote from: onebadrubi on July 28, 2017, 06:36:31 am
I'm sorry you failed to comprehend the sentence that says PASSES (plural
Meaning more than one) into tight windows. 
You hate him so much you can't even read you're own quote properly
Mallett must have stole your girlfriend while at Fayetteville or something.

Mallett didn't beat Bama, if you don't beat Bama you ain't worth spit.  Especially CBP.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

Wildhog

Quote from: tusked on July 28, 2017, 12:50:08 pm
Mallett didn't beat Bama, if you don't beat Bama you ain't worth spit.  Especially CBP.

haha
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

PorkRinds

Quote from: hoglady on July 28, 2017, 11:39:47 am
No one said they didn't.
Find someplace else to voice political opinions than the football field.
I don't turn into the NFL for political commentary.

Many people disagree and you're free to voice that opinion.

Veritas Arkansas

Quote from: hogcard1964 on August 02, 2017, 03:02:35 pm
I like to refer to myself as a bigot.  I have every right to be.

Quote from: ThisTeetsTaken on October 06, 2017, 01:23:52 pm
White Nationalists aren't any more evil than homosexuals.

theFlyingHog

Quote from: Veritas Arkansas on July 28, 2017, 01:37:11 pm
Apparently Mallett stunk the joint up today.

http://www.espn.com/espn/now?nowId=21-0682640232536873732-4
Oh man I thought today was Saturday. I am loving this three day weekend

theFlyingHog

Quote from: PorkRinds on July 28, 2017, 12:53:58 pm
Many people disagree and you're free to voice that opinion.
So you are saying you turn on NFL games to get some politics. Me thinks you just like being argumentative.

bennyl08

Quote from: theFlyingHog on July 28, 2017, 02:45:13 pm
So you are saying you turn on NFL games to get some politics. Me thinks you just like being argumentative.

False choice. There were three responses hoglady made that PR could have been referring to.

1. Could arguing that many people don't think an NFL player has a right to voice their opinions.
2. Could be arguing that a football field is a perfectly valid place to voice an opinion.
3. Could be arguing that people turn on NFL games to get some politics.

Or some combination of the three.

You went the least likely and most absurd interpretation, creating what is effectively a strawman. I.e. modifying his argument into something it isn't, then defeating the argument that you created out of thin air, and claiming victory. Why this is effectively a strawman instead of actually a strawman is that there is a remote possibility that is exactly what PR was saying, however, it is unlikely.

My guess guess is that he is arguing mostly on #2 (pun not intended). Sports is rife with political statements. To deny that is to deny a lot of powerful events in history.

In many cases, you have some marginalized group facing a problem that the rest of society wants to pretend doesn't exist. So, they bring that message into the rest of society's every day lives such that there will be more pressure to fix it and it can be gone from everybody's every day lives.

For example, put yourself in the place of a non straight athlete. He doesn't want to play football to make a political statement. He just wants to play to enjoy the game and perhaps escape from some of the other stresses of life. However, he turns on TV and hears about how he'll never be accepted in a locker room and how he can't play the game. He either can not join the team or if he does, his existence on the team will simply be a stressor as he has to constantly pretend to be somebody he isn't or risk jeopardizing everything. That's why stories of somebody coming out do get so much publicity. Yes, ideally, nobody would care about who he likes, and they'd just care about his ability to play and help the team. That's how it should be, but that's not where we are as a society yet. Think back to the "black quarterback". You don't have to go back very far. Just a decade ago. If you weren't white, you were not simply the quarterback of the team, you were the black quarterback. You couldn't be just a quarterback in the NFL, you were a black quarterback in the NFL. Today, Jameis Winston is simply the quarterback of Tampa Bay. Why? Because the problem of the implicit bias that white people were inherently more intelligent and better leaders than blacks had to be publicly addressed. You still see that in modern football today, but to a smaller degree. White players are much more likely to be called a student of the game or a real gym rat while a black player is more likely to be called an animal or a beast. It's not meant in a negative way as in they are less than human or anything like that, but there is the implicit bias of a cerebral vs instinctual player. This is something that somebody like Winston struggles with even. I.e. when people talk about athletic quarterbacks, he often gets grouped in with them. Winston is slower than almost all the "white quarterbacks" in the NFL and he didn't rack up much in the way of rushing yards in college either. He's a slow, not terribly athletic, cerebral qb but that still is something that is taking a while for society to accept.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

hogfan14

Speaking of former hogs, Chris Gragg just signed with the jets

1highhog

Quote from: theFlyingHog on July 28, 2017, 02:45:13 pm

Dang, and I just logged onto Hogville and got in MMQ hoping for some news about sports of the day and somehow got into the political forum instead, hmmm.

theFlyingHog

Quote from: bennyl08 on July 28, 2017, 03:17:36 pm
False choice. There were three responses hoglady made that PR could have been referring to.

1. You wasted a lot of time on that post. I hope you feel better now

2. Idgaf

3. Your comprehension skills.....yikes.

I didn't come close to reading all of that. Know why? Because politics do not have a place an the field.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/poll-majority-of-americans-disagree-with-colin-kaepernicks-protest/amp/

To step away from football and into the political arena, I think this country needs a lot of work on relations amongst differing cultures. I spend quite a bit of time thinking and talking about how to heal these wounds. And when I turn on a football game I want to watch football.

JayHog

5 interceptions today, and almost had 2 additional interceptions. Not good... I'm hoping he was a better week next week

31to6

Quote from: zeke_in_kc on July 28, 2017, 06:20:10 pm
They didn't say the result of those passes.  Your desire to ride Mallett's jock (metaphorically, of course) causes you to presume positive result where his three turnovers would cause any reasonable human to openly question such eventuality.  Specifically, the multiple INT's would indicate he shouldn't be trying to squeeze passes into "tight windows."

And Ryan sucked (again) today: http://www.espn.com/espn/now?nowId=21-0682640232536873732-4

TOO EASY.

Again, I'm not the issue.  If there's an issue, it's Mallett's [lack of] performance.
Yes. But only a tool would bash him on his alma mater's fan board.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: 31to6 on July 28, 2017, 09:27:47 pm
Yes. But only a tool would bash him on his alma mater's fan board.

Well, he used to say Mallett wasn't an NFL QB. Mallett is now going in to his 7th season. I guess him being that wrong really pisses him off

onebadrubi

Quote from: zeke_in_kc on July 28, 2017, 06:20:10 pm
They didn't say the result of those passes.  Your desire to ride Mallett's jock (metaphorically, of course) causes you to presume positive result where his three turnovers would cause any reasonable human to openly question such eventuality.  Specifically, the multiple INT's would indicate he shouldn't be trying to squeeze passes into "tight windows."

And Ryan sucked (again) today: http://www.espn.com/espn/now?nowId=21-0682640232536873732-4

TOO EASY.

Again, I'm not the issue.  If there's an issue, it's Mallett's [lack of] performance.

Lol your trying way to hard to find the guys failures.  Sadly, he has probably been more successful than you will Be in 2-3 lifetimes. 

The guy made some good passes, but the author only wanted to
Mention the two failures.  Sure mallett had a bad day today, we never said he was tom
Brady again. But he IS still a razorback in the NFL and we will continue to support his NFL efforts while you bash everything to do with him because he probably got a BJ from your girlfriend in college.
Good pa

kodiakisland

If gun control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome. http://heyjackass.com/

Iwastherein1969

somehow I get the feeling that some WR's were making Mallett look bad...it's an easy thing to do. They want Kaepernick to get a contract and I think we all know why. Baltimore and the thugs that occupy the team's roster up and down the line-up wouldn't think twice about doing such a thing. Still I get the feeling things aren't as bad as this one writer said...I saw nothing about it on any of the NFL sports shows

Artex501

Bait.  ::)

Mallett has bad day, in 2nd practice of the spring. Throws towel into air, after possibly his 5th interception.

Drama sells.

Hopefully, Mallett turns things around tomorrow.

threeNout

wow, that's probably the most biased sports article I've ever seen.

"total meltdown" because he threw a towel?

no quotes from Mallett, and a suggestion written into the headline saying Mallett should be replaced by Kap? two days into camp?

stunned.  defintely seems like an coordinated agenda.

Bacons Rebellion

I find it interesting that it's not really CBS reporting on Mallet. CBS was  reporting on what an ESPN reporter wrote.

I think the goal, like Artex said, is drama -- to drum up Kaepernick drama. You can see the second line of the title "Keep Kaepernick's Phone Number Handy." A lot of Ravens fans were pissed that the Ravens signed Olson (Stanford) as a camp arm to replace Flacco instead of signing Kaepernick. Of course, the last choice for short-term camp quarterback would be a controversial choice like Kaepernick.

sowmonella

Read the comments. Hack job by the reporter. :puke:
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

TNhawgfan

Man, you guys would defend Mallett regardless. When you can't win the starting job in Houston, you're not an NFL starter, period. Yes, he had a great college career, but there's a reason his draft status tanked after his interviews. Some of you need to wake up to why
I'd rather be dead than be a Vol