Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2017 Season Really Begins on Thursday

Started by Jackrabbit Hog, January 03, 2017, 07:46:37 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Jackrabbit Hog

The calendar year season begins this week at Kapalua; the winners-only Tournament of Champions.  Jason Day is in.  Dustin Johnson is in.  Jordan Spieth is in and is the defending champion.  Lots of other big names too. 

Who ya got?  Does anybody care?  In fact, does anybody care about the PGA at all until the Masters?
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

ricepig

I'll watch a little of it, especially with the time difference and nothing else usually on. I keep up with golf a whole lot more than NBA or NHL, I know, what's that? I'm like most, who watch golf, I get a lot more interested in the majors, or at least any tournament where there are 7-8 of the top 10 in it.

Wildhog

Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

GolfNut57

Sure. It will be refreshing to see the golf channel stop replaying last years tournaments.
"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented." Arnold Palmer.

TheJoeyBucketz

I'll watch just to count how many times they say tigers name
What did you say? I missed it. Was distracted. My side piece was arguing with my side piece

RagingHawgOn

My favorite time of year. Golf from Hawaii, NFL playoffs, CFB national championship game. The return of golf signals spring, even if it is 20 degrees in Arkansas.

ricepig

Quote from: RagingHawgOn on January 04, 2017, 09:33:17 am
My favorite time of year. Golf from Hawaii, NFL playoffs, CFB national championship game. The return of golf signals spring, even if it is 20 degrees in Arkansas.

Well, to honest, it was 70 degrees two days ago, and will be 60+ in about three, haha.

RagingHawgOn

Quote from: ricepig on January 04, 2017, 11:41:54 am
Well, to honest, it was 70 degrees two days ago, and will be 60+ in about three, haha.

Great point.  I'm probably romanticizing the whole Hawaii golf thing haha.

ricepig

Quote from: RagingHawgOn on January 04, 2017, 01:21:08 pm
Great point.  I'm probably romanticizing the whole Hawaii golf thing haha.

I played Kapalua back in 2001 on a visit there. I loved most of it because the fairways were wide, but the wind was definitely blowing that day.

RagingHawgOn

Quote from: ricepig on January 04, 2017, 01:31:12 pm
I played Kapalua back in 2001 on a visit there. I loved most of it because the fairways were wide, but the wind was definitely blowing that day.

Looks like a beautiful course.

jfan01

I played it a year and a half ago, and the wind was the worst I've ever played in. It was crazy, and I've played island golf before. Brutal wind.

ricepig

Quote from: jfan01 on January 04, 2017, 03:11:25 pm
I played it a year and a half ago, and the wind was the worst I've ever played in. It was crazy, and I've played island golf before. Brutal wind.

I had driven up there on our honeymoon in 1990 and said if I ever came back I'd play it. We had played Wailea a few days before and the wind was "normal", unfortunately not at Kapalua.

GolfNut57

Quote from: ricepig on January 04, 2017, 03:48:59 pm
I had driven up there on our honeymoon in 1990 and said if I ever came back I'd play it. We had played Wailea a few days before and the wind was "normal", unfortunately not at Kapalua.

How do you DRIVE to Hawaii?  :)
"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented." Arnold Palmer.

ricepig

GolfNut57

I just realized there is a bad side to the new golf season starting.............

Get ready for another year of GoHogs1091 obsessive raving over Perry Maxwell courses and/or holes.

;)

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: sevenof400 on January 04, 2017, 05:55:01 pm
I'm just looking forward to more golf broadcasts without the Woods obsession.

He's baaaaaaaaaaack!!!
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

jfan01

Quote from: ricepig on January 04, 2017, 03:48:59 pm

Same here. Didn't play on our honeymoon, but drove up to look at it. Played when we went back for our ten year anniversary. We actually had some pretty strong winds during our time there. Sand would blow in your face periodically when trying to relax on the beach. At Kapalua, the wind was magnified.

A couple of the holes would have been super easy, and look like easy scoring holes on the card, but the wind made them tough.

East TN HAWG

Brother-in-law flew into HI yesterday going to some green reading training where you use your foot and fingers to read the greens (Adam Scott uses it). 

Unfortunately, Ollie and him are not in this weeks tournament, but next weeks tournament is there as well, and they are in.  Playing well over the holiday, so maybe they can win one. 

cosmodrum

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on January 05, 2017, 06:41:13 am
He's baaaaaaaaaaack!!!

What's up with the Guy Fieri goatee?

Tiger, this is the kinda darn that will make me root against you.
Go away, batin'

East TN HAWG

Quote from: cosmodrum on January 05, 2017, 11:23:47 am
What's up with the Guy Fieri goatee?

Tiger, this is the kinda darn that will make me root against you.

That's something he has done with his kids for a few years.  It's a family thing that somehow leaked to the public. 

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: East TN HAWG on January 05, 2017, 11:44:06 am
That's something he has done with his kids for a few years.  It's a family thing that somehow leaked to the public.

"somehow leaked"???  Tiger tweeted it out to the world before Christmas.

ricepig

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on January 05, 2017, 01:01:24 pm
"somehow leaked"???  Tiger tweeted it out to the world before Christmas.

He leaked it on us???

East TN HAWG

He has done it for years.  I am told he is really not a bad guy.  During practice (on the putting greens) for the Quicken Loans 2015, he walked up to Ollie and my brother-in-law and said "Hi, I'm Tiger Woods."  Its funny because who in the world would not know who he was.  I think Ollie got choked up a little.   

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: East TN HAWG on January 05, 2017, 03:57:50 pm
He has done it for years.  I am told he is really not a bad guy.  During practice (on the putting greens) for the Quicken Loans 2015, he walked up to Ollie and my brother-in-law and said "Hi, I'm Tiger Woods."  Its funny because who in the world would not know who he was.  I think Ollie got choked up a little.   

If it escaped you (as it did me until last week), google and read Wright Thompson's piece on Tiger from last spring.  Really in depth article on the downfall time, roughly from the time of Earl's death through the Escalade crash.  It's a neutral article - not pro or anti Tiger - but it is fascinating.

East TN HAWG

Great story   Thanks.  There was a lot of information I did not know. 

EastexHawg

I've watched parts of the 3rd and 4th rounds the last two days and I have to ask...is Patrick Reed still on the course?  I haven't seen him despite the fact that he has been in the top 5-6 the entire time.

Oh, wait...they just showed him on tape because he made a birdie to get to -14 within two shots of second place..  I thought maybe he was invisible this weekend.

cc

Quote from: EastexHawg on January 08, 2017, 03:26:28 pm
I've watched parts of the 3rd and 4th rounds the last two days and I have to ask...is Patrick Reed still on the course?  I haven't seen him despite the fact that he has been in the top 5-6 the entire time.

Oh, wait...they just showed him on tape because he made a birdie to get to -14 within two shots of second place..  I thought maybe he was invisible this weekend.

They were talking about how he needed to play the majors like he did the Ryder Cup.  Be more aggressive and confident, and he could win several.  He has the talent, but so do a lot of guys out there now.

ricepig

Perry Maxwell must have designed this course in the Bahamas........+7 is the cut line right now. Some dude shot a 95 and has to wait all day to play his second 18.

http://www.pgatour.com/webcom/leaderboard.html

Boarcephus

I watched it yesterday and Justin Thomas got a bad case of the nerves coming in.  He hit two horrible, pull hook irons that almost cost him the tournament.  That little sucker can crush the ball.  He had two 400+ drives, although they were down hill, down wind but those are still pokes. 
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: ricepig on January 09, 2017, 09:48:04 am
Perry Maxwell must have designed this course in the Bahamas........+7 is the cut line right now. Some dude shot a 95 and has to wait all day to play his second 18.

http://www.pgatour.com/webcom/leaderboard.html

Bob Garrigus woulda shot 59 on that course yesterday.

HognitiveDissonance

Also enjoy the January golf from Hawaii. Beautiful scenery.

Played Kapalua in 2004. Fun course to play. Hard to concentrate with the whales jumping in the ocean out there.
Always wondered how the guys were hitting such huge drives on #18.

Then I stepped up and tagged one good on #18, and the prevailing breeze carried it...and carried it. Then the ball hit the ground and it rolled...and rolled. Downwind, downhill. I'm a decent player but not a Daly bomber, and the ball ended up 360 yards out. I remember the amateur tees being 585, and I had 225 to the hole.

Suddenly I wasn't so impressed with the 400+ yard drives the pros hit.

EastexHawg

I hit one from the scenic overlook at the Three Sticks monument between Broken Bow and Heavener that undoubtedly went over 500 yards.  I hope no one in a Chrysler Cordoba on one of the hairpin turns down below took a Top Flite through the windshield.

GolfNut57

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on January 09, 2017, 11:41:07 pm
Also enjoy the January golf from Hawaii. Beautiful scenery.

Played Kapalua in 2004. Fun course to play. Hard to concentrate with the whales jumping in the ocean out there.
Always wondered how the guys were hitting such huge drives on #18.

Then I stepped up and tagged one good on #18, and the prevailing breeze carried it...and carried it. Then the ball hit the ground and it rolled...and rolled. Downwind, downhill. I'm a decent player but not a Daly bomber, and the ball ended up 360 yards out. I remember the amateur tees being 585, and I had 225 to the hole.

Suddenly I wasn't so impressed with the 400+ yard drives the pros hit.

For those of you who played the Kapalua course.......may I ask what the greens fees were and did it include a cart or are you required to use a caddie and walk it? If the caddie is the only option what extra did that cost? Thanks.

Quote from: EastexHawg on January 10, 2017, 12:02:14 pm
I hit one from the scenic overlook at the Three Sticks monument between Broken Bow and Heavener that undoubtedly went over 500 yards.  I hope no one in a Chrysler Cordoba on one of the hairpin turns down below took a Top Flite through the windshield.

Over 500 yards? of course 400 yards of it was straight down. Right?  :)

ricepig

Quote from: GolfNut57 on January 10, 2017, 06:30:12 pm

For those of you who played the Kapalua course.......may I ask what the greens fees were and did it include a cart or are you required to use a caddie and walk it? If the caddie is the only option what extra did that cost? Thanks.

It was 15 years ago, I'm thinking it was around $265-275 which included a cart. A forecaddie was extra and highly recommended on the Plantation course. There were 4 of us and we split it, I don't remember the amount. I think I paid $325 to play Pebble Beach in 2000, TPC Sawgrass was the cheapest, around $165.

Boarcephus

Quote from: EastexHawg on January 10, 2017, 12:02:14 pm

Stopped there many a time but never to hit a golf ball!  ;)
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: GolfNut57 on January 10, 2017, 06:30:12 pm

Over 500 yards? of course 400 yards of it was straight down. Right?  :)
I honestly don't remember what it cost.
But we didn't  have to get a caddie. The wife and I drove around by ourselves in a cart.

Boog41

I'm late to the thread.... Played Kapalua in 2003. My buddy and I were the first off one morning. We ran up on the ground crew working on one hole. They honest to God had a garden tiller in one of the sand traps fluffing it up.

RazorPiggie

Fresh off his win, Justin Thomas shoots the first 59 of the year. With a bogey on the card.

East TN HAWG

Quote from: RazorPiggie on January 12, 2017, 10:23:12 pm
Fresh off his win, Justin Thomas shoots the first 59 of the year. With a bogey on the card.

Crazy score!!  He is paired with two of his buddies: Berger and Speith.  I wonder if that helps him be loose? 

hawgon

This year might be fun.  Spieth and McIlroy (as long as his little injury isn't too bad) look to be in great form early.  DJ got through the mental barrier last year.  And there are plenty of young guns.

And Tiger, and Tiger looks healthy and more relaxed than he has in forever.  I think he may have quit trying to be what he was and finally accepted what he is.  I think he is still capable of being a great player at times and I think I actually expect him to win once this year.  And I would t be surprised at all if he contends in a major, particularly the Masters.

It might be a season for the ages.

East TN HAWG

Might be a great season, but JT looks like he is going to run away with it.  Wow!!!   

Speith played great on last round.  I don't think any of them is in the CareerBuilder this week.  Mickleson is playing this week. 

clutch

Quote from: hawgon on January 17, 2017, 08:11:00 am
This year might be fun.  Spieth and McIlroy (as long as his little injury isn't too bad) look to be in great form early.  DJ got through the mental barrier last year.  And there are plenty of young guns.

And Tiger, and Tiger looks healthy and more relaxed than he has in forever.  I think he may have quit trying to be what he was and finally accepted what he is.  I think he is still capable of being a great player at times and I think I actually expect him to win once this year.  And I would t be surprised at all if he contends in a major, particularly the Masters.

It might be a season for the ages.

I think golf would be about as entertaining as it's ever been if all of those things happen. Tiger doesn't have to dominate, but if he could win once or twice and contend in the majors and the young guns are all firing on all cylinders then it would make for some compelling golf for sure.

cosmodrum

Quote from: hawgon on January 17, 2017, 08:11:00 am

Agree with this. I think he realizes his role in the game, where he is in his career, etc. He certainly still has the tools to win more tourneys, and can absolutely contend in Augusta and possibly the Open.

Go away, batin'

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: cosmodrum on January 18, 2017, 11:11:18 am
Agree with this. I think he realizes his role in the game, where he is in his career, etc. He certainly still has the tools to win more tourneys, and can absolutely contend in Augusta and possibly the Open.

Cue Eastex in 3...2...1...

hawgon

He is a heck of a lot more likeable these days than I can remember him being in a long time.  Of course, it helps that his fanboys seemed to have grasped reality too.  But he likely still has a few wins in him and maybe a major or two if he is satisfied with merely being a good player instead of dominating.  The real question is if he can motivate himself that way over the long run.