Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Little JD!!

Started by Ex-Trumpet, December 12, 2016, 01:08:41 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Ex-Trumpet

Wow.  Has a swing like his old man, except better!

Glad I got to see some of the father/son tourney this weekend!!
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

Boarcephus

Saw where he was 228 out on 18 and made it with ease.  Matter of fact, played his shot.  Not bad for a 13 year old.  Goosen's son is also 13 and looked pretty salty.  The call Duvall got on 16 is still a head scratcher.  Both hit it in the water but they found his son's ball and since they got a club length relief they were able to pull it out and hit from the waters edge.  Not too hip on that call, even if it's "with-in" the rules.
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: Boarcephus on December 12, 2016, 02:23:32 pm
The call Duvall got on 16 is still a head scratcher.  Both hit it in the water but they found his son's ball and since they got a club length relief they were able to pull it out and hit from the waters edge.  Not too hip on that call, even if it's "with-in" the rules.

Hey, it's the silly season.  Or as some of the journalists used to call it, the "hit and giggle" season. 
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

GolfNut57

Quote from: Boarcephus on December 12, 2016, 02:23:32 pm
Saw where he was 228 out on 18 and made it with ease.  Matter of fact, played his shot.  Not bad for a 13 year old.  Goosen's son is also 13 and looked pretty salty.  The call Duvall got on 16 is still a head scratcher.  Both hit it in the water but they found his son's ball and since they got a club length relief they were able to pull it out and hit from the waters edge.  Not too hip on that call, even if it's "with-in" the rules.

Sure wish I had the benefits he and the kids of the other pros have gotten in their youth. Must be nice being that young and getting lessons from pros that charge $500 and up per lesson. And of course it helps having a pro golfer as your father. I can only wonder what kind of golf talent I would have had with the proper teaching from some of the best teaching pros around.

(yeah I am just a tad jealous. Sue me!  :))
"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented." Arnold Palmer.

ricepig

Quote from: GolfNut57 on December 12, 2016, 03:57:50 pm
Sure wish I had the benefits he and the kids of the other pros have gotten in their youth. Must be nice being that young and getting lessons from pros that charge $500 and up per lesson. And of course it helps having a pro golfer as your father. I can only wonder what kind of golf talent I would have had with the proper teaching from some of the best teaching pros around.

It still takes some natural ability. A teaching pro is only going to fine tune you.

Ex-Trumpet

Still great to see Jack, too.
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

GolfNut57

Quote from: ricepig on December 12, 2016, 04:03:33 pm
It still takes some natural ability. A teaching pro is only going to fine tune you.

That is why I said having a pro golfer as his father helps.
"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented." Arnold Palmer.

ricepig

Quote from: GolfNut57 on December 12, 2016, 04:57:40 pm
That is why I said having a pro golfer as his father helps.

Yeah, my youngest is a pretty good golfer, I've taught him the basics and can correct major swing flaws, but the pro dissects the minute ones. Although when I talk with him afterwards, he says "he told me it's all between my ears", haha.

Boarcephus

Quote from: GolfNut57 on December 12, 2016, 03:57:50 pm

Know the feeling.  Back when I started it was persimmon heads and balata balls, you taught yourself at the driving range at night and played the 9 hole course at Ft. Chaffee. 
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

GolfNut57

Quote from: Boarcephus on December 12, 2016, 05:20:54 pm
Know the feeling.  Back when I started it was persimmon heads and balata balls, you taught yourself at the driving range at night and played the 9 hole course at Ft. Chaffee.

Same when I started playing. Persimmon heads were still widely in use but the TaylorMade steel head driver was just coming out. It was the summer of 1982 when I picked up the game and played the old nine hole course at Burns Park. Don't think I had to play with Balata balls though. As a kid I had more fun with those by cutting them open just to watch the rubber band unwind like a mad man. Did have a few fun nights going to the Arnold Palmer driving range down on University Ave and trying to hit either A.) the guy driving the range cart, or B.) the giant golf ball that sat about 125 yards out downrange.

Boarcephus

Quote from: GolfNut57 on December 12, 2016, 05:56:00 pm

Same when I started playing. Persimmon heads were still widely in use but the TaylorMade steel head driver was just coming out. It was the summer of 1982 when I picked up the game and played the old nine hole course at Burns Park. Don't think I had to play with Balata balls though. As a kid I had more fun with those by cutting them open just to watch the rubber band unwind like a mad man. Did have a few fun nights going to the Arnold Palmer driving range down on University Ave and trying to hit either A.) the guy driving the range cart, or B.) the giant golf ball that sat about 125 yards out downrange.

When I first played I had no idea about anything pertaining to golf.  I bought the Titleist Balata balls because that's what the big boys played with.  I played my first round and had 6 brand new ones.  Finished it with 4 balls and not a single one has less than 4 gashes in it!  Rubber bands were poking out. I remember the Arnold Palmer driving range and the big golf ball.  If I remember correctly it had a big hole in the top of it and I think I actually hit it once.  I would love to know how far I could have hit the ball when I was 20 years old and still athletic with the new technology. 

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: Boarcephus on December 12, 2016, 07:27:10 pm
When I first played I had no idea about anything pertaining to golf.  I bought the Titleist Balata balls because that's what the big boys played with.  I played my first round and had 6 brand new ones.  Finished it with 4 balls and not a single one has less than 4 gashes in it!  Rubber bands were poking out. I remember the Arnold Palmer driving range and the big golf ball.  If I remember correctly it had a big hole in the top of it and I think I actually hit it once.  I would love to know how far I could have hit the ball when I was 20 years old and still athletic with the new technology.

Ah yes, out on south University, sandwiched in between all the car lots and a putt putt course.  Back then, unless you were a member of a country club somewhere, that was about the only place to go to hit balls.  I never hit the hole on the big golf ball, but I did hit a couple of maintenance guys gathering balls in their carts.  We used to aim at them more than the hole in the ball.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

GolfNut57

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on December 13, 2016, 06:57:08 am
Ah yes, out on south University, sandwiched in between all the car lots and a putt putt course.  Back then, unless you were a member of a country club somewhere, that was about the only place to go to hit balls.  I never hit the hole on the big golf ball, but I did hit a couple of maintenance guys gathering balls in their carts.  We used to aim at them more than the hole in the ball.

I figured it was better practice hitting at the moving targets (the guys in the range carts) since the greens I hit at always seem to be moving once I swung the club.  :D

Jeff "hogfanintx" Anderson

I watched the final round and little John Daly was amazing.  The the that struck me was when the announcers said after the first round that evening there were two guys pounding balls on tbe range.  Vijay Singh and Little JD
Let's make some waves.

Jeff "hogfanintx" Anderson

And Bernhard Langer's daughter.  Mercy me.
Let's make some waves.

root_hawg

That ball the Duval and his adopted son played I dont think was within the club length of the shore.  Looked to me like he moved it and then thought I better measure this first.