Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The King has passed away..

Started by ricepig, September 25, 2016, 07:32:44 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Martygit

Thank you, Arnie, for all you did for golf and for humanity - RIP  :'(
RIP OTR, REV

Boarcephus

Hate to hear that but not surprised. Once again Father Time remains undefeated. 
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

EastexHawg

The term legend gets thrown around a lot, but in Arnie's case it truly applies. 

zane

Quote from: EastexHawg on September 25, 2016, 08:00:45 pm

No doubt
RIP LSUfan

Martygit

Quote from: EastexHawg on September 25, 2016, 08:00:45 pm

^^^^^This
RIP OTR, REV

GolfNut57

The king is dead. Long live the king!  :'(
"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented." Arnold Palmer.

hobhog

What a sad day......true legend and great man.

PonderinHog

Great golfer, even better human being.  Rest in peace, Arnie.

GoHogs1091

A truly great man who is the most influential person in the history of the game of golf.  I used the word "is" instead of "was" because his monumental influence on the game of golf will endure forever.

The United States has lost a great person, and there will never be another golfer like Mr. Palmer.

Thank you Mr. Palmer for everything that you have done.  Rest in Peace.

Pigsknuckles

Called #10 at Southern Hills the most beautiful hole in golf. Was privileged to have watched some of the most famous names in the game play through this majestic test. Wish I had had the chance to meet him.
"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

HognitiveDissonance

I'll have another Arnold Palmer and tip my glass to him...

Boarcephus

Reading an article in the paper this morning about Arnie and found this. 

Tom Callahan once described the difference between Nicklaus and Palmer this way: It's as though God said to Nicklaus "You'll have skills like no other" then whispered to Palmer, "But they will love your more"
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

Dillar Dog

Jackrabbit Hog

Saw a tweet from one of the PGA pros this morning:  "He made golf cool because he was cool."
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

EastexHawg

Quote from: Dillar Dog on September 26, 2016, 08:23:20 am

RIP, King.

Even stouter than McIlroy.  In before...Arnie was on the juice!

I have followed him around golf courses several times, although not when he was in his prime.  Still, even in his 60s he was a hoss, not to mention a charismatic figure.

DeltaBoy

Prayers sent for his family , friends and fans. He was a great ambassador for Golf.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

26.2Hog

pigture perfect

Wow! Sure hate to hear it. He was a mans man.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

Boarcephus

Quote from: EastexHawg on September 26, 2016, 10:31:25 am
Even stouter than McIlroy.  In before...Arnie was on the juice!

I have followed him around golf courses several times, although not when he was in his prime.  Still, even in his 60s he was a hoss, not to mention a charismatic figure.

No doubt.  That's the term we used to call "country strong" because weight lifting and diet was no where to be found back then.  McElroy, on the other hand, is a product of the finest nutrition and workout regimes money can buy, as is Tiger, Day, etc. 

EastexHawg

Quote from: Boarcephus on September 27, 2016, 06:11:04 am
No doubt.  That's the term we used to call "country strong" because weight lifting and diet was no where to be found back then.  McElroy, on the other hand, is a product of the finest nutrition and workout regimes money can buy, as is Tiger, Day, etc. 

When we were in our 20s a friend of mine and I drove 26 hours straight one day and night coming home from Vegas.  We got sleepy and about half delirious driving across the Texas Panhandle at 3:00 in the morning and passed the time talking about great matchups we would like to see...digging a deep pit, throwing two guys into it, and making them fight to the death.

We went through all of them...James Arness and John Wayne, Robert Mitchum and Bret Lancaster, Robert Conrad and Robert Blake...but probably our favorite was Arnie against Tom Landry.  Talk about a battle of two tough and ripped old light heavyweights...

EastexHawg

I can't believe I can't type the former great actor Lancaster's first name.  Wow.

PonderinHog

Boarcephus

Quote from: EastexHawg on September 27, 2016, 09:02:30 am
I can't believe I can't type the former great actor Lancaster's first name.  Wow.

LOL!!  Didn't realize it till you mentioned it.  I read Burt from the get go.  ;)

Funny story that happened yesterday.  Went into ATT to order new IPhones and the first thing they did was ask for my wife's ID since the account is in her name.  Safe to say she was a tad pissed about having to show it but anyway, what I learned from all of this is a couple of things. First, when you play golf and you have a push cart, when you park it up by the green and there is a lake on the left, be sure and apply the brake or the damn thing will roll back down into the lake. Secondly, if you don't apply the brake, then be sure the phone that you left in your cart is water proof or you too will be at the ATT Counter showing your ID to buy a new phone.

EastexHawg

Quote from: PonderinHog on September 27, 2016, 09:08:33 am
Fred McMurray vs. Charles Bronson.

You really hate Fred McMurray, don't you?

PonderinHog

Quote from: EastexHawg on September 27, 2016, 09:14:05 am
You really hate Fred McMurray, don't you?
Fred was a badass back in the day, but Charles was too.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: PonderinHog on September 27, 2016, 09:40:41 am

Robert Garrigus vs. Tiger Woods...
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

EastexHawg

Quote from: PonderinHog on September 27, 2016, 09:40:41 am

Okay, I read about him and now I'm prepared to offer Fred a pit of death match against...Bob Barker.  Winner takes on Jimmy Stewart.

ricepig

It's B u r t Lancaster...., but I am surprised that spelling is nixed.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: EastexHawg on September 27, 2016, 10:54:44 am
Okay, I read about him and now I'm prepared to offer Fred a pit of death match against...Bob Barker.  Winner takes on Jimmy Stewart.

Robert Mitchum vs. Robert De Niro.   

A Max Cady death match. 

Dillar Dog

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on September 27, 2016, 11:42:20 am
Robert Mitchum vs. Robert De Niro.   

A Max Cady death match.

Mitchum easy.

razCzar

Love this man like a father.

He will be truly missed.

On a lighter note, this lead Wikipedia quote jumped out at me...

An Arnold Palmer is a beverage of iced tea and lemonade... An alcoholic version of the "Arnold Palmer" (generally made with vodka) is called a John Daly.

EastexHawg

Quote from: Dillar Dog on September 27, 2016, 12:17:28 pm
Mitchum easy.

Raging Bull DeNiro would have to change his style and use lateral movement around the pit because if Mitchum ever got his hands on him...

HognitiveDissonance

Boo Weekley vs the Orangutang

Funniest Ryder Cup team meeting room story ever, they say.

HawginFL1991

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on September 26, 2016, 12:21:18 am
I'll have another Arnold Palmer and tip my glass to him...

Here! Here! :razorback:

ronmahony

Man I sure hate that Arnold is gone, I don't there is any one in the world I would rather meet. James Dodson write a great book Final Rounds about his dad. Winnie Palmer read it and asked James to write Arnold's book. In the Dewsweepers a book that James write about his mother, the way Arnold treated James after his mother died, made James an even bigger fan. The more I read or hear about Mr. Palmer and the things he did outside of golf, he truly was a great man. If you love golf or don't know a thing about it, those are three books you ought to read.
"If you are able, save for them a place inside of you and save one backward glance when you are leaving for the places they can no longer go.
     Be not ashamed to say you loved them, though you may or may not have always. Take what they have taught you with their dying and keep it with your own.

And in that time when men decide and feel safe to call the war insane, take one moment to embrace those gentle heroes you left behind.

jbcarol

Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net