Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

It is NOT time to empty the stadium

Started by FANONTHEHILL, November 05, 2017, 12:16:53 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

B Ray

During HDN days, I expected a change for a few years and after he was given a 2 year pass, enough was enough . I had several seats in the outdoor club seats, I had contributed for overs 10 years at a higher donor than what was required for my seats..

After the pass, I called and asked what was the minimum I neeed to donate to keep my seats, the person said that many people were doing the same, saved me $3000 a year. I have since moved away from Arkansas, miss going to games, all I can do is hope for a warm bowl game.

oldhog63

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on November 05, 2017, 12:58:34 pm
When you can't market a coaching staff that you are uncertain will remain in place, you market facilities and fan base.  What people could be doing by not coming to games  is putting program another 5 years back.
What Jeff Long has done has set this program back not the average fan. Long has let this problem fester to the point the only option the average fan has is to not attend. Everything else is being ignored. Things get tough and Long disappears.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: AnthroHog on November 05, 2017, 05:57:31 pm
I've always thought that fans not showing up meant that they were upset by the team's performance and were showing the athletic department that they shouldn't be taken for granted.

Thought it was interesting that you brought up Pelphrey because that's what I thought yesterday while I looked at the stands.  I looked at the average attendance and national rank from 2001-02 which was Richardson's last season to last season:
Richardson - 2002 - 15,065 (13)
Heath - 2003 - 14,790 (14), 2004 - 14,792 (13), 2005 - 15,788 (9), 2006 - 14,958 (12), 2007 - 16,720 (9)
Pelphrey - 2008 - 14,148 (8 ), 2009 - 16,043 (11), 2010 - 13,182 (25), 2011 - 11,884 (29)
Anderson - 2012 - 13,096 (23), 2013 - 13,750 (20), 2014 - 14,023 (21), 2015 - 15,519 (11), 2016 - 14,879 (12), 2017 -15,247 (12)

http://www.ncaa.org/championships/statistics/ncaa-mens-basketball-attendance

If Anderson's teams keep winning, then the average attendance should start passing Pelphrey and Heath's highest totals.

Those aren't actual attendance figures. We've been in the 9000 range in actual attendance the last two seasons.
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

ricepig

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on November 05, 2017, 07:07:22 pm
Those aren't actual attendance figures. We've been in the 9000 range in actual attendance the last two seasons.

Pretty sure season tickets are around 11,000 or so, if I remember correctly.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: ricepig on November 05, 2017, 07:11:41 pm
Pretty sure season tickets are around 11,000 or so, if I remember correctly.

Sounds right. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

AnthroHog

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on November 05, 2017, 07:07:22 pm

You are absolutely correct.  Last season's average estimated actual attendance was 9,407.

I didn't know that they changed the numbers so blatantly.  Sometimes the attendance was listed over three times higher for a game than estimated actual attendance.  Southern Illinois attendance was listed at 13,308 with the estimated actual being 4,270.

In case anyone was wondering, the average estimated actual attendance for SEC conference games was 12,106.

ricepig

Quote from: AnthroHog on November 05, 2017, 08:06:06 pm
You are absolutely correct.  Last season's average estimated actual attendance was 9,407.

I didn't know that they changed the numbers so blatantly.  Sometimes the attendance was listed over three times higher for a game than estimated actual attendance.  Southern Illinois attendance was listed at 13,308 with the estimated actual being 4,270.

In case anyone was wondering, the average estimated actual attendance for SEC conference games was 12,106.

Tickets sold vs estimated butts in seats.

oldhog63

Quote from: The ColonelHog on November 05, 2017, 05:49:35 pm
It's not the fans who are failing the young men on the team, it's the UA sports administration!
I agree with all you said, but this sums it up.

SRV

Quote from: WilsonHog on November 05, 2017, 12:57:06 pm
A steak is a "product." A shirt is a "product." I am not passionate about a steak or a shirt.

Shouldn't an athletic program and a university that I have supported for over 30 years be more than a "product?"

Thank you
We've got entirely too many troublemakers here. Too many 40-year-old adolescents, felons, power drinkers and trustees of modern chemistry.....

hawgon

Now, hold on a minute.  I'm pretty passionate about a prime bone-in ribeye dry aged for 28 days.

EastexHawg

Quote from: ricepig on November 05, 2017, 04:05:44 pm
Bandwagon U, no doubt, and been that way for awhile.

Bandwagon U?  Is that what you call it when people who have followed the team religiously since Montgomery, Dicus, and Burnett were Shoats realize that the athletic administration is no longer dedicated to winning and wants a house cleaning in the hope that the replacements will be?

Those bandwagon fans who hop on and off every 40-50 years are the worst.

flynhog

They already have the money for the tickets you bought and they won't give that back.  An empty stadium says to JL that we would rather watch it at home until you get the right guy to coach the team.  It's hard.  But when you have a hard decision, you have to make the right decision.

How is that not supporting the team? 
Wins are the only things that matter when the game ends.  The mistakes that happen in the game are corrected by good coaching during the week. A season of near losses means you won every game.

Pork Twain

Sorry, FotH, but nothing sends the message to the leadership, like empty seats.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

jkstock04

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on November 05, 2017, 12:16:53 pm
People are mad, that's understandable.  But don't stop attending games.  Get on the phone, write an email, write a letter.  Contact the Razorback Foundation, The Board of Trustrees, your local state congressman, or the chancellor.  The reason I say this is because it really doesn't hurt the university to have an empty seat that they've already sold. 

But here is something that does hurt the program.  My son is a redshirt sophomore.  He has two more years.  I want 2018 and 2019 to be better.  But I also want 2020 and beyond to be even better than that.  At yesterday's game, I was approached by a family member of player on a visit.  He saw my parent wristband and asked if I had someone on the team. I told them that I did.  They then asked, "it's homecoming and there's a crowd like this?"  "Why would you want to be part something where the fans turn on the boys during a tough time?"

So how am I supposed to answer that question?  Young men that could help this team in the future are watching what the fans are doing this year.  If the recruits don't think they'll be supported, they could likely come back to Razorback Stadium on the other sideline.  Think about that before you boycott games.

I know you're pissed off.  I'm pissed off.  But for the sake of the future of the program you need to show players, current and thise that could potentially help this program, that you will be there for them.  Please keep this in mind when you consider the Miss St and Mizzou games.
Whatever happens, this isn't the fans' fault. I know that's not what you are directly saying...but indirectly that's what you are saying. It's a chest thump narrative from the Bielemer/homer crowd. It's just not reality. The fans are 99.9 % innocent in all of this and deserve much better in my opinion.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

sowmonella

Quote from: Pork Twain on November 05, 2017, 09:42:13 pm
Sorry, FotH, but nothing sends the message to the leadership, like empty seats.

BS. If you want to send a message just send a message. The BOT , AD, Chancellor and all the decision makers are easily contacted. You people amaze me.
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

pattymac

Companies make both good and bad products. Would you purchase a bad product? Long has a horrible product along with a very bad production manager.

EastexHawg

Quote from: sowmonella on November 05, 2017, 09:51:24 pm
BS. If you want to send a message just send a message. The BOT , AD, Chancellor and all the decision makers are easily contacted. You people amaze me.

Easily contacted, not easily influenced.  The only way for fans to influence the administration is by staying home.  It's the only card they can play.

Long can't claim that the overwhelming majority are supportive when the stadium is half empty. 

hogfan870

I have not read all 6 pages of this, but to the OP, this is not unique to Arkansas.  Successful programs have full stadiums, unsuccessful one don't. These recruits are going to experience that on every visit. The only kids that we get to come here right now are going to have to understand that. And btw, South Carolina sold out there stadium for many years (prior to Holtz and Spurior), and it didn't help them one bit. They still had a bad team and couldn't recruit because they lost. Fans in the stands had nothing to do with it.

Hogsmo Kramer

Can't serve chopped liver and expect the excitement of a filet.

I don't tip when the service sucks, and I won't embrace mediocrity with my time and treasure.

Bielema has to go and if it takes empty seats and some lost recruits to accomplish it so be it. The program will be better for it in the end.

Oh and this is not unique to Arkansas, this happens at every university in the country when the product on the field sucks, so save me the sob story.

This is big time football, and it's not all sunshine and rainbows.
Hogville = The Nexus of the Universe!!!!!

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on November 05, 2017, 12:22:24 pm
Players are sold "Family" at every school that recruits them.  There's no line of delineation between the two from a recruits perspective.  You can't say "sign with Arkansas and no one will be here when you arrive."

I TOTALLY respect the message you are conveying.  I read your post, and the last page of posts, to get a feel for the thread.

What you're pointing out is a snapshot in time, which is likely one recruiting class.  While I appreciate the parents' concern, I also feel confident that the vast majority of kids want to play for a team that wins.  We don't win.  Odds are, we're going to lose some recruits this year, but I believe it will be more about kids not wanting to play for a team that is losing, or one that has an uncertain future, far more than whether there were empty seats in a game against what should have been a "rent a win." 

The long term ramifications of continuing to support something that is falling woefully short of the expectations of the fans, for the amount being paid to those who should be held accountable, is far more detrimental than potentially losing a few 2018 recruits.  With all of the uncertainty, and the poor results, I don't think cheering fans would overcome those bigger player and parent concerns. 

Also, uncertainty breeds apathy.  Jeff Long's apparent hiatus and unwillingness to make any sort of statement, isn't helping.  As an AD, if you're not willing to call a spade a spade and say a 1 point victory over a team that got WRECKED by ASU 51-17 earlier this season is TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE for the amount of resources tied up in the UA football program, and that you expect better even if it means changes, then you're going to get fans who go to extremes to make a point. 

Why?  Because it gives the impression that he is COMPLETELY out of touch with the fan base, and the only way to make a point is to try to hit the UA where it hurts...the pocketbook.  Unfortunately, it's completely unfair to the players, but it's not a stretch to say that what we're getting from the staff and administration is unfair to the fans.  So..it goes both ways. 

I have always wished that fans would continue to attend games regardless, but even I know you can't fault fans for being utterly disgusted by that performance Saturday.  Kudos to the players for having the heart to squeak out a win, but that game really illustrated how far we've fallen as a program, and the fans are going to react harshly as a result. 

I've said it before, and I'll repeat it again.  Arkansas supports a winner.  Fans come when we win.  We've never been a "show up regardless" fan base.  Heck...Hatfield was a winner, and fans stopped showing up because it wasn't exciting enough. 

This isn't anything new.  Start winning again, and the stadium will be full again.  That's Arkansas...fickle fans.       

I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

urkillnmesmalls

It sends a poor message when people see an empty stadium.  I totally agree.  But, we've hit the desperate times call for desperate measures point, and fans are going to show their displeasure in a way that they know will get results.  I know sending emails is one option, but that doesn't send a collective message in the same manner as the PTB seeing an empty stadium.  Sad...but true. 

It's the end all measure to take, and while it won't stop me from cheering for the kids, I'm not going to fault those who don't go.   
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

Pork Twain

I am sure they take all emails from fans to heart.  /sarcasm 
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

razorbackfaninar

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on November 05, 2017, 12:51:49 pm
I totally agree with you about supporting the kids and being there for them. 100%

No matter what is happening with the coaching staff or any transition, we need to always support the kids and I do.

Unfortunately, in a situation like this where the coaching staff isn't getting it done at a level that they should be, the only way that fans have to vote or exert influence of any kind is with their feet, their attendance and their dollars. It isn't a knock against the kids, but unfortunately they are the ones who suffer in all of this.

There is an "entertainment aspect" to all of this and folks aren't entertained with a poor game plan or a team that hasn't been sufficiently motivated or prepared to perform at a higher level. I think (and I hope) that everyone who attended on Saturday expected that game to be a blowout in favor of Arkansas. The fact that it wasn't creates a lot of unhappiness among a fan base. While not taking anything away from Coastal Carolina, this game should have been (for all intents and purposes) over at the half with nothing but reserves playing the second half.

This lack of interest doesn't have anything to do with the kids on the team or their effort or dedication or the love that fans may have for them as players, but as I said, they unfortunately have to suffer through all of this. It's sad. I hate it for them.

He literally gave you several different options right in his post, and you just bulldozed right past them. If you personally think not attending he games is the best way to send a message, or if that is your preferred way, fine but don't pretend it is the only way. 

elviscat

Why would anyone want to buy a ticket an support a program like this. I've got more important things to do or be entertained. Waste of money, let JL fill the stadium with give away tickets.

Mr Jade

Quote from: razorbackfaninar on November 06, 2017, 09:22:06 am
He literally gave you several different options right in his post, and you just bulldozed right past them. If you personally think not attending he games is the best way to send a message, or if that is your preferred way, fine but don't pretend it is the only way.

Are any other ways effective though? It doesn't make sense to talk about methods of influencing or changing minds if they don't work. What works is showing displeasure. Continuing to buy a bad product will simply promote more production of that product. If the stadium is full no change will happen.
Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on November 27, 2017, 08:12:12 pmNORVELL, Baby.

*Please refrain from claimin "Pokey guaranteed Norvell!!!"*

Quote from: GuvHog on October 06, 2019, 07:52:47 pm
The game against SJS was an abnormality. Even though the players were cautioned not to, they got caught looking past SJS to A&M. They learned a valuable lesson and I don't see them repeating that mistake.

razorbackfaninar

Quote from: hogfan870 on November 05, 2017, 10:16:01 pm
I have not read all 6 pages of this, but to the OP, this is not unique to Arkansas.  Successful programs have full stadiums, unsuccessful one don't. These recruits are going to experience that on every visit. The only kids that we get to come here right now are going to have to understand that. And btw, South Carolina sold out there stadium for many years (prior to Holtz and Spurior), and it didn't help them one bit. They still had a bad team and couldn't recruit because they lost. Fans in the stands had nothing to do with it.

So what are you saying? That South Carolina Fans came out and supported their team even when they weren't winning? How did they ever get a better coach?  According to most of the posts in his thread the only way to get a better coach is not to show up.  Arkansas Fans like to crow about being the best in college football but, it isn't close to being true.   

razorbackfaninar

Quote from: Mr Jade on November 06, 2017, 09:33:44 am
Are any other ways effective though? It doesn't make sense to talk about methods of influencing or changing minds if they don't work. What works is showing displeasure. Continuing to buy a bad product will simply promote more production of that product. If the stadium is full no change will happen.

Well how many did you try?  You act as if the Administration, The BOT, the Alumni and those who are significant financial backers of the program don't care about it at all. You think these people look at the U of A as some financial investment?  " hey as long as we're making money who cares"?  That is a stance I wouldn't expect a reasonable person like you to take. All those people take pride in and care about the state of the program.  They want the team to be successful because they have invested more than money into it, some of them have invested their careers, some of them have invested literal blood, and sweat.  They don't need to see your empty seat to know that things aren't going well.  Do you really think that if the game had been a sell-out for home coming and everything else was the same, that the people in charge would say "well that was terrible but the stands were full I guess the people don't care, let's just carry on like we have been". Would the message sent be hey we are fine with winning by 1 point to the worst team in the sun belt?  That isn't believable. Here is the message it would send.  That we are a fan base that supports their team through good times and bad,  That we would never turn our back on them because coaches come and go, winning seasons come and go, but the team carries on, the Arkansas Razorback carries on. It is your choice to do what your time and money, only don't pretend that ot going to a game when we are bad is some noble act of rebellion that you are willing to do to bring about change, it isn't.   

BaconAteHer

Why not just come out and be honest? Would be a win-win for everyone I would think.

BB comes out and simply says, "Look, I admit, I didn't accomplish what I wanted to accomplish here. Everyone deserves better, and though the details are still being worked out, what I can tell you is that Arkansas football will be under new direction next year. Now, I don't want to quit on these kids. I know you, fans, don't want to either. Let's go out there and show them our appreciation and support these last few games and ride the wave, good or bad, together."

No animosity from Arkansas toward BB. No animosity from BB toward Arkansas. Everyone comes together, calls a spade a spade, and supports one another through the end knowing change is coming.

ricepig

Quote from: EastexHawg on November 05, 2017, 09:28:57 pm
Bandwagon U?  Is that what you call it when people who have followed the team religiously since Montgomery, Dicus, and Burnett were Shoats realize that the athletic administration is no longer dedicated to winning and wants a house cleaning in the hope that the replacements will be?

Those bandwagon fans who hop on and off every 40-50 years are the worst.

Of course, "Winning at all costs" means they aren't dedicated to winning, since that's what it means, huh?

ricepig

Quote from: Pork Twain on November 06, 2017, 12:59:00 am
I am sure they take all emails from fans to heart.  /sarcasm 

Nope, they are more concerned about what is written on HV.......

razorbackfaninar

Quote from: elviscat on November 06, 2017, 09:28:44 am
Why would anyone want to buy a ticket an support a program like this. I've got more important things to do or be entertained. Waste of money, let JL fill the stadium with give away tickets.

You buy a ticket to support a program like this, because you care about it.  Because when you played football in the back yard  as a kid you wanted to be Juju Harshaw.  Because your earliest memories about it are listening to games on the radio camping out with your granddad.  You support them because all you ever wanted to be was as good as Quinn Grovey, Maybe because you shed a little tear or two when Paul Eells died.  Because this program is about more than football, or basketball if you grew up here if your family grew up here.  It is a part of your life and you can't separate it out because they are having a bad season, or you don't like the coach.  it's about friendships and traditions that go back generations.  You buy a ticket because this program is more than just wins and losses. This program, in this state is about babies being brought home from the hospital in razorback blankets, and old men being buried with their favorite razorback hat, and it's about the suffering we do together as a fan base and the elation we feel when we have good times. It's about things you can't put into words,like that first trip to the hill for a poor kid from South Arkansas, and how every trip since that one brings back the same feeling. So don't go if you don't want to, nobody makes you, but it is your loss as a fan and as a person that once we are winning again you will never be able to say " Hey I was there through the bad times, I was there when we nearly lost to Coastal Carolina.  You can tell everybody you made the ultimate sacrifice and boycotted the team. 

oldhawg

Quote from: razorbackfaninar on November 06, 2017, 10:02:37 am
You buy a ticket to support a program like this, because you care about it.  Because when you played football in the back yard  as a kid you wanted to be Juju Harshaw.  Because your earliest memories about it are listening to games on the radio camping out with your granddad. 
Quote from: razorbackfaninar on November 06, 2017, 10:02:37 am
You buy a ticket to support a program like this, because you care about it.  Because when you played football in the back yard  as a kid you wanted to be Juju Harshaw.  Because your earliest memories about it are listening to games on the radio camping out with your granddad. 

Well, actually I wanted to be like Billy Moore.  :)

hogsanity

Quote from: WilsonHog on November 05, 2017, 12:57:06 pm
A steak is a "product." A shirt is a "product." I am not passionate about a steak or a shirt.

Shouldn't an athletic program and a university that I have supported for over 30 years be more than a "product?"

It is whatever you make it. For me it is a few hours of entertainment. For others it is a day or a weekend. For still others it is a piece of the fabric of their life, and for a few it is way too much of their life.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

ShadowHawg

Reality of the make up of the Razorback program and those who support it.

The program has very little to do with the players. Most of these kids have only been Hogs for less than 4 years. In 4 years there will be a whole new set of players. Those who leave may or may not continue to be Hogs. Marcus Monk screwed the Hog fanbase over with the way he conducted business at the AAU level in this state all the while projecting that his brother was seriously considering being a Hog, when the truth was otherwise. Jimmy Johnson would later spurn the Hogs. Barry Switzer is a Sooner, etc.

My father, who died this year, was a 60 year Hog fan. Hog sports were a very fun part of our relationship as they were with his parents before him. It could be said that the Hogs were a family member in some ways.

My Dad mentioned that the last couple of years were awful to the point of not being able to watch our games. He said he would be dead before this would get turned around and truly made him sad to think about it. He had lost hope with CBB at the helm.

Our fans deserve HOPE. Understand that isn't a call for a minimum number of wins to be acceptable. Just hope.

Frank Broyles said that what he watched in regards to coaches was not wins and losses as much as attendance numbers. He didn't say ticket sales. He said attendance. When attendance waned it was time to consider the future employment of the coach.

When you put your butt in the seat, you are sending a message to the Administrators of Hog sports that you are in support of the current COACH according to Frank Broyles. So if you don't like what's going on, don't go to the games. Doesn't mean you aren't a true blue Hog fan or that you are rooting against them. It simply COMMUNICATES to the PTB that you are losing hope.

After supporting the Hogs for 60+ years, my Dad deserved better than to pass away without hope of better days ahead for his Razorbacks.

Danimal

If I were the parent of a recruit I'd be a lot more concerned with the fact that we were getting outcoached and outplayed by a homecoming "rent-a-win" team than how many people are at the game. And fwiw -- someone would have to be fairly clueless to not understand that the former explains the latter. This wasn't just 1 single game where the team didn't "show up" on a particular day -- the breakdowns began last season. When a coach/team continually doesn't "show up" it's only a matter of time until the fans don't "show up" either. It's a very natural progression..

twistitup

Product or No Product - It's an investment....of money, time, effort, etc...

Nobody wants to make depressing investments, we want a positive return on our investment. Happiness, Celebration w friends and family, good food, good times, good football

We are not getting a good return on our investment. My dad said this weekend he can stay in Texas and watch bad football - no reason to travel to see that. He stays w me when he comes up and this truly hurt my feelings. I hate to see friends and family disappointed but that is my reality.
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

ricepig

Quote from: twistitup on November 06, 2017, 10:56:12 am
Product or No Product - It's an investment....of money, time, effort, etc...

Nobody wants to make depressing investments, we want a positive return on our investment. Happiness, Celebration w friends and family, good food, good times, good football

We are not getting a good return on our investment. My dad said this weekend he can stay in Texas and watch bad football - no reason to travel to see that. He stays w me when he comes up and this truly hurt my feelings. I hate to see friends and family disappointed but that is my reality.

You must not be a good son..............

J/k, Twist, hopefully we hire Gruden and he moves in with you!

twistitup

Quote from: ricepig on November 06, 2017, 10:58:00 am
You must not be a good son..............

J/k, Twist, hopefully we hire Gruden and he moves in with you!

Dad is an old timer and brutally honest - he laughed at the fact CC was running a 100% high school offense and we couldn't stop it w SEC athletes. He was beside himself for sure...

Gruden? You got the wrong guy....I've never been THAT fan but I do think we can do better - much better. I don't know how you 'high rollers' stomach this shiite, it hurts me as blue collar guy, I can't imagine what if feels like for people who invested much more than we have. I bet you guys have to drink straight liquor just to keep a smile on your face.

It's an embarrassing situation - he goes back to TX and has daily interactions w many,many h.s football coaches down there - but he can't exactly brag about the Arkansas football program with our current situation.

Sad

hoglady

I'm sorry but at this point the best thing for this program is a cleaning out of the current staff.
Whatever the fans can do to attempt to effect change should be done.
It may make no difference whatsoever - but we can at least try to let our dissatisfaction be known and have our voices heard.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

ricepig

Quote from: twistitup on November 06, 2017, 11:05:02 am
Dad is and old timer and brutally honest - he laughed at the fact CC was running a 100% high school offense and we couldn't stop it w SEC athletes. He was beside himself for sure...

Gruden? You got the wrong guy....I've never been THAT fan but I do think we can do better - much better. I don't know how you 'high rollers' stomach this shiite, it hurts me as blue collar guy, I can't imagine what if feels like for people who invested much more than we have. I bet you guys have to drink straight liquor just to keep a smile on your face.

It's an embarrassing situation - he goes back to TX and has daily interactions w many,many h.s football coaches down there - but he can't exactly brag about the Arkansas football program with our current situation.

Sad

Well, that high school offense looked like what some of the guys that have a decent chance of being our next coach run.....it's obvious that this isn't going to work, but I hope the next coach will get 5 years to try his hand at turning it around. I actually do a lot better at games I attend, than the ones I watch on TV, haha.

twistitup

Quote from: ricepig on November 06, 2017, 11:15:44 am
Well, that high school offense looked like what some of the guys that have a decent chance of being our next coach run.....it's obvious that this isn't going to work, but I hope the next coach will get 5 years to try his hand at turning it around. I actually do a lot better at games I attend, than the ones I watch on TV, haha.

With the right guys on the roster - that O can be successful. I'm not against a triple option, spread type of O - We just need to keep that identity long enough to recruit the proper guys to run it...we can't be shifting our offensive philosophy every few years, it just doesn't work like that.

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

People are mad, that's understandable.  But don't stop attending games.  Get on the phone, write an email, write a letter.  Contact the Razorback Foundation, The Board of Trustrees, your local state congressman, or the chancellor.  The reason I say this is because it really doesn't hurt the university to have an empty seat that they've already sold. 

But here is something that does hurt the program.  My son is a redshirt sophomore.  He has two more years.  I want 2018 and 2019 to be better.  But I also want 2020 and beyond to be even better than that.  At yesterday's game, I was approached by a family member of player on a visit.  He saw my parent wristband and asked if I had someone on the team. I told them that I did.  They then asked, "it's homecoming and there's a crowd like this?"  "Why would you want to be part something where the fans turn on the boys during a tough time?"

So how am I supposed to answer that question?  Young men that could help this team in the future are watching what the fans are doing this year.  If the recruits don't think they'll be supported, they could likely come back to Razorback Stadium on the other sideline.  Think about that before you boycott games.

I know you're pissed off.  I'm pissed off.  But for the sake of the future of the program you need to show players, current and thise that could potentially help this program, that you will be there for them.  Please keep this in mind when you consider the Miss St and Mizzou games.
I have my own opinions about everything but I will keep them to myself until after the season. A few people here know why
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

Con el Cerdos

This thread proves that one should not poke a sleeping bear, nor an awakened one, either!

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: Boss Hog in the Arkansas on November 06, 2017, 12:51:03 pm
I have my own opinions about everything but I will keep them to myself until after the season. A few people here know why

Because hindsight is 20/20 and predicting what is going to happen is a lot easier after it has happened?   ;)   

Nothing like saying "I told you so," after saying it AFTER the event.   :P

ricepig

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on November 06, 2017, 01:24:15 pm
Because hindsight is 20/20 and predicting what is going to happen is a lot easier after it has happened?   ;)   

Nothing like saying "I told you so," after saying it AFTER the event.   :P

I think he has a relative who plays and will wait until his career is over to say anything.

Vantage 8 dude

As always your posts make a huge amount of sense. And despite my displeasure with CBB and most of the staff, I continue to firmly support the players. The real quandary is how do you do both? Yes, it's critical we show our support to the team. On the other hand, IF "the powers that be" aren't made fully aware and in no uncertain terms how many of us feel what will likely change? It's true that emailing or writing letters to the BOT or JL could be one solution. However, I suspect a LOT of folks either don't want to or don't feel comfortable in doing so. Not saying that's right or wrong, but how it likely is. So....the only other way many can think of showing their displeasure and disappointment. So we're back to a real dilemma of the entire mess. Wouldn't it be lovely if our HC actually decided to live up to his mantra of being #UNCOMMON and either took a sober look at his own failings and addressed them or gracefully stepped down for the long term good of the program?

ricepig

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on November 06, 2017, 01:57:19 pm
As always your posts make a huge amount of sense. And despite my displeasure with CBB and most of the staff, I continue to firmly support the players. The real quandary is how do you do both? Yes, it's critical we show our support to the team. On the other hand, IF "the powers that be" aren't made fully aware and in no uncertain terms how many of us feel what will likely change? It's true that emailing or writing letters to the BOT or JL could be one solution. However, I suspect a LOT of folks either don't want to or don't feel comfortable in doing so. Not saying that's right or wrong, but how it likely is. So....the only other way many can think of showing their displeasure and disappointment. So we're back to a real dilemma of the entire mess. Wouldn't it be lovely if our HC actually decided to live up to his mantra of being #UNCOMMON and either took a sober look at his own failings and addressed them or gracefully stepped down for the long term good of the program?

Do you actually think that the "PTB" are that insulated that they don't know  what's being said, what the feelings of the fanbase is? As to "Uncommon" that's been on the walls on campus for years.

https://twitter.com/RazorbackFB/status/925420880133574656

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: ricepig on November 06, 2017, 02:48:22 pm
Do you actually think that the "PTB" are that insulated that they don't know  what's being said, what the feelings of the fanbase is? As to "Uncommon" that's been on the walls on campus for years.

https://twitter.com/RazorbackFB/status/925420880133574656
Well if the PTBs are already very well aware of the discontent then obviously that's a huge start. However, it never hurts to keep sending out the message. And as far as the Uncommon reference, yes, it's been around since CBB arrived. That's the major reason I referenced it. Let him personally use what's he's been preaching all this time.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: ricepig on November 06, 2017, 01:30:44 pm
I think he has a relative who plays and will wait until his career is over to say anything.

Oh..I figured it was something like that, and I don't fault anyone for not getting involved.  I don't even have anyone up there at this point, but I question why I am involved here. 

I was just fun'n...and I hope that came across in my post.  I respect anyone's decision not to post on Hogville.   ;)

Dr. Starcs

The time to empty the stadium has been Long overdue.