Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

recruiting stunts are getting ridiculous.

Started by rhog1, July 31, 2016, 09:39:06 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

rhog1

http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/sec-football/recruit-pranks-commitment-pledges-high-school-team-lsu-alabama-ole-miss/
4 star safety Todd Harris called a press conference to announce between LSU, Alabama, or Ole Miss. In the end he puts on his highschool's hat and jersey and commits to his highschool.

ADavisTheGOAT

Razorbacks | Redskins | Pelicans | LA Tech

longpig

That's just dumb.  Hopefully his coach gets dealt with painfully for instigating it. 
Don't be scared, be smart.

onebadrubi

Kids are loving the attention and coaches of high schools are getting more and more involved. We just better hope it doesn't get to the point of college basketball

Rzbakfromwaybak

This certainly gives insight on this players character.  I can just imagine what my Dad would have done to me, if I was being recruited & pulled a stunt like this. 
Arkansas born, Arkansas bred, when I die I'll be a Razorback dead.

lefty08

Players stopped respecting the process when the adults did, coaches included
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

theFlyingHog

He sure as hell wouldn't have an offer from me. It's time recruiting stopped being such a shite show. Football will be like basketball real soon

gchamblee

I know none of the schools recruiting him will pull their offers, but I do hope no press shows up for his real press conference and he just puts on his hat and jersey while the local newspaper reporter writes it down on his little scratch pad.

OutlawHawg

Honestly the kid is 17.....17 year old kids do dumb stuff all the time.

The real problem is fat middle aged white guys who live and die off where a teenager decides to play a sport.

lefty08

Quote from: OutlawHawg on August 01, 2016, 06:26:00 am

The real problem is fat middle aged white guys who live and die off where a teenager decides to play a sport.

What about skinny middle aged black guys who do the same thing?
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

LRHawg

Quote from: lefty08 on July 31, 2016, 11:44:05 pm

This.

IronMountainHog

Quote from: OutlawHawg on August 01, 2016, 06:26:00 am

Insults coming from a self described band nerd lol. Pot meet kettle.

OutlawHawg

Quote from: IronMountainHog on August 01, 2016, 08:37:53 am
Insults coming from a self described band nerd lol. Pot meet kettle.

Band? Not sure where you got that from. I have real hobbies like watching NASCAR.

Insults aside, recruiting coverage is insane these days but it's driven by the audience not the subjects. I actually respect this kid for taking a ridiculous process and manipulating it to get his high school some publicity.

OutlawHawg

Quote from: lefty08 on August 01, 2016, 07:47:27 am
What about skinny middle aged black guys who do the same thing?

You good. #staywoke

FreshHog

all 3 schools should pull their offers... Now that would be funny.

Hawgar The Horrible

That's cute right up until the LOI is signed. Once on campus a coach could easily provide him with some of that additional attention he was craving.
There are fans and there are supporters. The latter carries the weight.

SemperFi

I hope that OM, Bama and LSU pull his offer. I wouldn't want a kid on my team that was hell bent on wasting my time and was all about "me" and not the team no matter how good he thought he was. Yet to prove anything in the SEC and yet he's standing there like a 2 year old screaming look at me.
Some people wonder all their lives if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem. - Ronald Reagan

rljjr

You guys realize his coach came up with the idea and put him up to it. What kid is going to tell his HS coach no? Besides, in the grand scheme I think it's hilarious. His HS team might even rally around that. As stated above, when the adults lead the circus the children will follow.

010HogFan

I don't see what the big deal is. The whole recruiting charade is kind of stupid to begin with...reporters might think he's wasting their time, but they got their story, didn't they?

LRrazorback

I'm sure Beaver congratulated him and approved of his little act, in hopes he will get his signature

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: FreshHog on August 01, 2016, 10:01:00 am
But you know they won't.  Again, the crux of the problem.

Trey1981

Quote from: rljjr on August 01, 2016, 11:30:38 am
You guys realize his coach came up with the idea and put him up to it. What kid is going to tell his HS coach no? Besides, in the grand scheme I think it's hilarious. His HS team might even rally around that. As stated above, when the adults lead the circus the children will follow.

This.

IronMountainHog

Quote from: OutlawHawg on August 01, 2016, 09:23:48 am
Band? Not sure where you got that from. I have real hobbies like watching NASCAR.

Insults aside, recruiting coverage is insane these days but it's driven by the audience not the subjects. I actually respect this kid for taking a ridiculous process and manipulating it to get his high school some publicity.
Got it from right under your name.

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: FreshHog on August 01, 2016, 10:01:00 am

Except for Freeze. He will call him more often now.
This is my non-signature signature.

jry04

Quote from: rljjr on August 01, 2016, 11:30:38 am

His coach leading it is ridiculous. However, I do not get why people fail to realize some people's job is to cover this sort of thing whether it be news stations or recruiting services, etc. These people wasted time and money to travel there for a top 100 recruit's announcement only to be told it was a joke. Now, those same people will have to waste time and money to come back in a few months for the same thing, because it is their job. I wish it was only the player's idea, because then I could understand that he is just having some fun. The fact that an adult who understands the recruiting process did this is very odd. Especially since coaches often rely on some of these recruiting services to get their lesser known players an opportunity at the next level. Now he just made a fool of them all.

MissippHog

Quote from: IronMountainHog on August 01, 2016, 02:00:40 pm
Got it from right under your name.
You do realize that Band Nerd, Varsity, All-American, etc. is automatically put under your name by the message board, right?  I believe it's based on the number of posts that you have.  So he isn't necessarily a "self described band nerd."

OutlawHawg

Quote from: MissippHog on August 01, 2016, 02:16:32 pm
You do realize that Band Nerd, Varsity, All-American, etc. is automatically put under your name by the message board, right?  I believe it's based on the number of posts that you have.  So he isn't necessarily a "self described band nerd."

IronMountainHog = not the brightest. You gotta cut him some slack.

rljjr

Quote from: jry04 on August 01, 2016, 02:08:24 pm
His coach leading it is ridiculous. However, I do not get why people fail to realize some people's job is to cover this sort of thing whether it be news stations or recruiting services, etc. These people wasted time and money to travel there for a top 100 recruit's announcement only to be told it was a joke. Now, those same people will have to waste time and money to come back in a few months for the same thing, because it is their job. I wish it was only the player's idea, because then I could understand that he is just having some fun. The fact that an adult who understands the recruiting process did this is very odd. Especially since coaches often rely on some of these recruiting services to get their lesser known players an opportunity at the next level. Now he just made a fool of them all.

Fair point, and you're right. I'm not failing to realize it. I just think it's part of the story. The media got a story. Not the one they wanted, but there's still a story. Did the guy overstep? Absolutely. Is it the worst thing ever? Nope.

Sow’sEar

One thing that really is silly to me is when these prospects come out with a top 10, 12, or even 15 list.
I'm waiting for the first release of someone's top 20.....

SemperHawg

IronMountainHog

August 01, 2016, 04:41:38 pm #30 Last Edit: August 01, 2016, 06:58:06 pm by IronMountainHog
Quote from: OutlawHawg on August 01, 2016, 02:31:06 pm
IronMountainHog = not the brightest. You gotta cut him some slack.

Hoggish1

Quote from: longpig on July 31, 2016, 10:18:21 pm
That's just dumb.  Hopefully his coach gets dealt with painfully for instigating it. 

You would be assuming the principal, superintendent and school board have a brain among them for that to happen...

rhog1

http://www.nola.com/recruiting/index.ssf/2016/08/plaquemines_db_todd_harris_des.html

"Some will argue that Distefano deserves a free pass or he did it for the team, but the truth of the matter is that he exploited one of his players, lacked judgment and is not holding himself accountable for his actions."

New article blasting the head coach for this stupid stunt. The Coach exploited this kid for attention, and even tweeted at writers to get coverage for this announcement.  Now Todd Harris has to deal with all the angry fallout from this stunt.

HogMantheIntruder

August 02, 2016, 04:05:41 pm #33 Last Edit: August 02, 2016, 04:17:09 pm by Poppa Tart
The funny part is the reaction he was likely expecting vs. the reaction he actually got. I bet that coach thought this would be seen as some kind of noble gesture about "commitment" and having that "team first attitude" and everything that's right with sports, like some inspirational moment that people from around the country would rally around. Not quite.

"When life hands you lemons, just shut up and eat the damn lemons."
   -Harry Solomon

factchecker

How you feel about this stunt:

https://twitter.com/DanielPaulling/status/761671760177758209

http://www.clarionledger.com/story/sports/college/ole-miss/2016/08/05/ole-miss-signee-justin-connor-heading-east-mississippi/88309290/

QuoteJustin Connor met with his mother, a few other family members and North Panola coach Carl Duffee for 90 minutes Friday afternoon as he wrestled with a difficult decision: stay at Ole Miss for a semester waiting for a scholarship or play elsewhere on one this fall.

Connor decided to leave Ole Miss, where he took summer classes and had been committed to since August 2013, for East Mississippi Community College. He said he was told this week he would be grayshirted this fall, meaning he'd have to pay for classes on his own.

"It's a real bad feeling, man," Connor said. "I can't even describe it. But everything happens for a reason, and life ain't fair all the time. I've just got to deal with it."

Hugh Freeze signs a kid, has him enroll into summer school, and then informs him at the start of fall camp (this week) that he will be gray-shirted.  All of this to a 4 star who had plenty of offers elsewhere.  Also, this is a kid who has been commited to Ole Miss since his sophomore year in 2013.

I have zero problem with grayshirting as long as you up front with the recruit before signing day.  However, waiting until August after the kid has already worked out and geared up for camp.... that's a little low for me.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: factchecker on August 07, 2016, 10:22:06 am

http://www.clarionledger.com/story/sports/college/ole-miss/2016/08/05/ole-miss-signee-justin-connor-heading-east-mississippi/88309290/

Hugh Freeze signs a kid, has him enroll into summer school, and then informs him at the start of fall camp (this week) that he will be gray-shirted.  All of this to a 4 star who had plenty of offers elsewhere.  Also, this is a kid who has been commited to Ole Miss since his sophomore year in 2013.

I have zero problem with grayshirting as long as you up front with the recruit before signing day.  However, waiting until August after the kid has already worked out and geared up for camp.... that's a little low for me.
That is friggin SLEAZY!!
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

HogMantheIntruder

Well, I didn't really need another reason to hate Hugh Freeze, but I'll take it. What a scumbag.
"When life hands you lemons, just shut up and eat the damn lemons."
   -Harry Solomon

SooiecidetillNuttgone

I clicked this thread fully expecting to read an article where Harbaugh had another sleep over scheduled to include a "bikini model", a hot tub, and some hand cuffs.

Oh well.
This will have to do.

It's pretty underhanded btw.
His response to me:
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 13, 2016, 11:48:33 am
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

rzrbk4life

Freeze gonna sleaze. Hate that for the kid
Let's call those hogs!!!!

rhog1

Hadn't seen that. Total trash move from Freeze.

HogFansReunited

Absolutely disgusting.  Feel bad for this kid.
My girl told me to whisper something sexy in her ear...so I leaned in and said....Dominic Fletcher.

Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pm
Remember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!

Member #3568

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: HogFansReunited on August 08, 2016, 01:35:46 pm
Absolutely disgusting.  Feel bad for this kid.

Freeze, Malzahn, Briles - Those who like to portray a "certain image".  Reality is winning comes first. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

ChicoHog

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on August 08, 2016, 01:41:05 pm
Freeze, Malzahn, Briles - Those who like to portray a "certain image".  Reality is winning comes first. 
Probably my 3 least favorite college coaches besides Urban Liar.  Throw in Chip Kelly and you have the Mt Rushmore of style over substance and talent over character.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: lefty08 on July 31, 2016, 11:44:05 pm

Some coaches and players never have respected the process..................ever.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi