Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Dave Woodman said...

Started by moses_007, November 20, 2017, 11:54:57 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Pecos Hog

Quote from: moses_007 on November 20, 2017, 11:54:57 am
I just ran into Dave Woodman at the bank and he told me he didn't think Gus would come back to Arkansas.  Dave said he thought Gus wouldn't want any more to do with the mess at Arkansas.  I told Dave that Nutt, Broyles and all those assistants on that 2006 team were gone, and then he said he might take the job, but only if he really wanted to come home.

I don't think Dave is in the know like he used to be.  He hasn't been the Voice of the Razorbacks since the 80s.  I've known Dave a long time...met him when he was with Channel 4 long before he started announcing Razorback games.

I sure do miss Dave and Beth on Dialing for Dollars.    Hope he's doing well these days.

IronMountainHog

Quote from: pigskenG on November 20, 2017, 04:31:00 pm
I can't seem to come up with a who I want list, but I can start a list of who I definitely would not want:
Mike Leach
Charlie Strong
Lane Kiffin

I wish Coach Bielema could stay, I think if he could recruit better he would win on the field, and all would be good.
He does everything else the right way. Wouldn't you want your kid to play for him ?
JMO
If he could recruit better and win? That's a stretch.

Snouty

Quote from: Pecos Hog on November 20, 2017, 04:37:15 pm
I sure do miss Dave and Beth on Dialing for Dollars.    Hope he's doing well these days.

Quote from: hoggusamoungus on November 20, 2017, 12:36:37 pm
Any idea what Roy Mitchell and Tom Bonner think?

Ah, those were the days.

Seebs

To add a "sig line" or "signature line": Go to your "profile" then go to "modify profile" then scroll down to where it says "Signature" and type in what you want it to say and then click on "change profile". That's it, you're done. Your sig line will only show up on your first post on each page.

HoggyCat

Quote from: pigskenG on November 20, 2017, 04:31:00 pm
I can't seem to come up with a who I want list, but I can start a list of who I definitely would not want:
Mike Leach
Charlie Strong
Lane Kiffin

I wish Coach Bielema could stay, I think if he could recruit better he would win on the field, and all would be good.
He does everything else the right way. Wouldn't you want your kid to play for him ?
JMO

Do me a favor, go look up Wiscy's recruiting classes and get back with me.
I'm only responsible for what I say, not how you perceive it.

Science Fiction Greg

Quote from: HogHillbilly on November 20, 2017, 04:16:30 pm
Gus has a family member here in Fort Smith that is very sick. Yes, he is looking at coming back here to be closer. Just waiting for all the stars to align. And they have now done so

From what I've heard, this is correct.  It is his wife's mother if I'm not mistaken.
I spend all my time playing Trackmania, and various board games. You might remember me as Corndog7 or PossibleOatmeal.
Twitter sucks now. I deleted my account. I mostly just use TikTok now.

HeyHogs

He is still alive!?  WOW!  I am old.  :(

RockyMtnHog

Quote from: Torqued pork on November 20, 2017, 12:48:36 pm
Roy Mitchell died years ago. Not sure about Tom Bonner.

Tom Bonner is now selling siding and home improvements.  We have seen him on numerous commercials here in Colorado.
"On the Eighth Day, God created the Razorbacks!"

rljjr

True to form we are going to screw this up and hire the wrong guy. Norvell will turn into a huge winning machine and we're going to look back and realize it could have been us. That's my fear.

Boarsnest

ListenHereMister

The same Dave Woodman with the Alabama plates on his car?

rljjr

Were you able to give him the count and the amount?

Pecos Hog

It liked that show.   They gave away a lot of free cases of Coke.

Seebs

i just spoke to Big Sam Smith and Chuck Dovish. Both  are on the Gus Bus. Amy Oliver said Novrille.

Vic Schnedler was drawing a Gusty on a bar with margarita salt mumbling about Mae Horn .. so there is that.
To add a "sig line" or "signature line": Go to your "profile" then go to "modify profile" then scroll down to where it says "Signature" and type in what you want it to say and then click on "change profile". That's it, you're done. Your sig line will only show up on your first post on each page.

Soooie21

Dialing for Dollars..

Snouty

Quote from: Seebs on November 20, 2017, 06:21:23 pm
i just spoke to Big Sam Smith and Chuck Dovish. Both  are on the Gus Bus. Amy Oliver said Novrille.

Vic Schnedler was drawing a Gusty on a bar with margarita salt mumbling about Mae Horn .. so there is that.

Are you sure that wasn't Lonnie Gibbons mumbling about Mae Horn dressing most of the best dressed men in Arkansas?

[Actually, Lonnie Gibbons has been gone for several years now, and I believe Vic Schedler has passed away, too.  Like someone else said, man, I am getting old.]

hview

I have no inside track on the scoop, as to what's going on. I don't have a clue how this will play out. Yet, it might be true that Gus wants to come back to Arkansas. If true, is it possible that for Gus the importance of not passing up an opportunity to come back to Arkansas (back home) out weighs what looks like a no-brainer at Auburn. If Auburn beats Alabama, he's going to be put in a tough situation if he really wants to come home. If he is the #1 choice and has to decide between staying at Auburn or coming back to Arkansas, what's more important to him? Is it playing for a national championship, more money or can he lay all of that aside and come back home. Sometimes, it's not always about fame and money.  Where would he and his family be happier.

It might be that he would be bound by contract to remain at Auburn, assuming they defeat Georgia for a 2nd time, until after the national championship game. 

PorkSoda

Quote from: hview on November 20, 2017, 06:41:54 pm
I have no inside track on the scoop, as to what's going on. I don't have a clue how this will play out. Yet, it might be true that Gus wants to come back to Arkansas. If true, is it possible that for Gus the importance of not passing up an opportunity to come back to Arkansas (back home) out weighs what looks like a no-brainer at Auburn. If Auburn beats Alabama, he's going to be put in a tough situation if he really wants to come home. If he is the #1 choice and has to decide between staying at Auburn or coming back to Arkansas, what's more important to him? Is it playing for a national championship, more money or can he lay all of that aside and come back home. Sometimes, it's not always about fame and money.  Where would he and his family be happier.

It might be that he would be bound by contract to remain at Auburn, assuming they defeat Georgia for a 2nd time, until after the national championship game. 

well, it could be that we will offer him a lot more money to come to arkansas than he is making at auburn.  isn't making a crap ton of money basically the point of winning a championship?  or at the very least, it would force Auburn to over pay him to keep him.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

hview

Maybe coming home to Arkansas is more important, to Gus, than making a ton of money at Auburn.

PorkSoda

Quote from: hview on November 20, 2017, 07:06:06 pm
Maybe coming home to Arkansas is more important, to Gus, than making a ton of money at Auburn.
he could make a ton of money here too.

if they go after gus, it wont be with a low ball offer.
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

moses_007

Quote from: PorkSoda on November 20, 2017, 07:10:12 pm
he could make a ton of money here too.

if they go after gus, it wont be with a low ball offer.
Think he's at $4.7 million at Auburn.  I'd bet he'd take $4 mil to start just to be back home.

GlassofSwine

Quote from: PorkSoda on November 20, 2017, 06:44:18 pm
well, it could be that we will offer him a lot more money to come to arkansas than he is making at auburn.  isn't making a crap ton of money basically the point of winning a championship?  or at the very least, it would force Auburn to over pay him to keep him.

We would be stupid to offer Gus a lot more money than he is making at Auburn, what are we going to offer him 5.5 or 6 million a year? Give him top 5 money for what? Auburn is already paying him 4.7/year, if he wins the Iron Bowl and the SEC Championship he'll get a raise anyway. If he loses why should we pay him Top 5 money.

PorkSoda

Quote from: GlassofSwine on November 20, 2017, 08:29:47 pm
We would be stupid to offer Gus a lot more money than he is making at Auburn, what are we going to offer him 5.5 or 6 million a year? Give him top 5 money for what? Auburn is already paying him 4.7/year, if he wins the Iron Bowl and the SEC Championship he'll get a raise anyway. If he loses why should we pay him Top 5 money.
because you aren't going to get him for less than top 5 money.  he is on the verge of playing for a championship.

if we want that at arkansas we got to pay for it.

if we want to save money, and roll the dice on an up and comer, then go the norvell route and pay him 3 mill.  that's almost double what he is making now.

PorkSoda

Quote from: moses_007 on November 20, 2017, 08:20:18 pm
Think he's at $4.7 million at Auburn.  I'd bet he'd take $4 mil to start just to be back home.
I doubt you get him away from the championship level program for less that 6.

auburn will give him a raise to 5.5 at least if he beat bama and gets to the play offs.

he already is ranked higher they meyer and harbough.  both are making in the 6-7 range.

Malzahns stock is as high as it has ever been.

SPAL

Quote from: The Boar War on November 20, 2017, 12:02:12 pm
So Dave Woodman didn't know that Broyles and Nutt have been gone for a decade?

Dude, this is comedy gold right here. I was thinking the same thing. Our young hero just dropped knowledge on Dave Woodman who has been under a rock for the last ten years.

RedyorNot

Quote from: HoggyCat on November 20, 2017, 04:50:21 pm
Do me a favor, go look up Wiscy's recruiting classes and get back with me.

Yep..and where is Wisconsin ranked today??

GlassofSwine

Quote from: PorkSoda on November 20, 2017, 08:36:08 pm
because you aren't going to get him for less than top 5 money.  he is on the verge of playing for a championship.

if we want that at arkansas we got to pay for it.

if we want to save money, and roll the dice on an up and comer, then go the norvell route and pay him 3 mill.  that's almost double what he is making now.

On the verge of playing for a championship at Auburn doesn't deserve Top 5 money. Kevin Sumlin and Gus avg. almost identical wins per season, would you pay Sumlin Top 5 money? Why would you pay Urban Meyer/Jimbo Fisher money for a guy who hasn't won a championship yet? Plus what makes anyone think that Gus is going to get those results at Arkansas?

NotSoFastMyFriend

Big uptick in pot-stirring bench warmer accounts who are over confident in their binary saboteur abilities.

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on November 20, 2017, 08:38:15 pm
Dude, this is comedy gold right here. I was thinking the same thing. Our young hero just dropped knowledge on Dave Woodman who has been under a rock for the last ten years.

Exactly...
Then he picked up his rotary phone and called Sue from Cabot to guess the "Count & Amount". Dave Woodman? Wow...was Ned Perme or Ron Sherman unavailable for comment? Hey, let's get Richard Norris from Ron Campbell Ford in Cabot on the line for his take on the situation.
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

PorkSoda

Quote from: GlassofSwine on November 20, 2017, 08:44:01 pm
On the verge of playing for a championship at Auburn doesn't deserve Top 5 money. Kevin Sumlin and Gus avg. almost identical wins per season, would you pay Sumlin Top 5 money? Why would you pay Urban Meyer/Jimbo Fisher money for a guy who hasn't won a championship yet? Plus what makes anyone think that Gus is going to get those results at Arkansas?
what makes you think he isn't?

what is funny is that you guys are all about wins, except when it comes to GM.  then you got to qualify those wins to make them seem like they don't matter and just anyone would win at auburn.  well guess what, prior to GM auburn was a guaranteed win for us most years.  there is zero reason auburn should be considered a better program than arkansas, except they have a winning coach and we have a losing coach.

which team has beat the socks off us more than any other team we have played the last 2 years?  auburn would be the answer. 

how would you like to be on the other side of that equation for once?

SPAL

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on November 20, 2017, 08:45:29 pm
Exactly...
Then he picked up his rotary phone and called Sue from Cabot to guess the "Count & Amount". Dave Woodman? Wow...was Ned Pedme or Ron Sherman unavailable for comment? Hey, let's get Richard Norris from Ron Campbell Ford in Cabot on the line for his take on the situation.

HAHAHAHA. Sue from Cabot
.....I have tears.

GlassofSwine

Quote from: PorkSoda on November 20, 2017, 08:48:52 pm
what makes you think he isn't?

what is funny is that you guys are all about wins, except when it comes to GM.  then you got to qualify those wins to make them seem like they don't matter and just anyone would win at auburn.  well guess what, prior to GM auburn was a guaranteed win for us most years.  there is zero reason auburn should be considered a better program than arkansas, except they have a winning coach and we have a losing coach.

which team has beat the socks off us more than any other team we have played the last 2 years?  auburn would be the answer.

Lol, Auburn is a better job than Arkansas period. Since Arkansas joined the SEC 25 years ago, we have an avg of 6.7 wins a season. Auburn 8.3. They have better recruiting grounds,they've won a NC, played for another and have an undefeated finish in 2004 when they were arguably the best team in the country. They have played in 18 bowl games and gone 11-7. Whatever you want to think about us being equal to Auburn doesn't hold up to the facts of the past 25 years.

Also, I didn't qualify his wins I just pointed out more facts. It's this simple, If he losses to Alabama then Gus has done nothing special to deserve Top 5 money. If he wins and goes to the SEC championship he isn't coming, but then even if he loses to Alabama he still has a soph. QB, who is only going to get better and a Top 10 defense. He can  legitimately challenge for the SEC Championship for the next 2 years. Why would you leave that?

PossumFan

Quote from: GlassofSwine on November 20, 2017, 09:09:05 pm
Lol, Auburn is a better job than Arkansas period. Since Arkansas joined the SEC 25 years ago, we have an avg of 6.7 wins a season. Auburn 8.3. They have better recruiting grounds,they've won a NC, played for another and have an undefeated finish in 2004 when they were arguably the best team in the country. They have played in 18 bowl games and gone 11-7. Whatever you want to think about us being equal to Auburn doesn't hold up to the facts of the past 25 years.

True enough, but maybe he just feels the lure of "home." Maybe he's always wanted to coach the Razorbacks. Maybe he knows the first time he has a seven-win season, the Aubbie fans will turn on him. Maybe the pressure to beat Bama on a regular basis is too much for him. I don't know that any of this is the case, but there are many factors that can overcome the metrics stated above. .

GlassofSwine

Quote from: PossumFan on November 20, 2017, 09:37:31 pm
True enough, but maybe he just feels the lure of "home." Maybe he's always wanted to coach the Razorbacks. Maybe he knows the first time he has a seven-win season, the Aubbie fans will turn on him. Maybe the pressure to beat Bama on a regular basis is too much for him. I don't know that any of this is the case, but there are many factors that can overcome the metrics stated above. .

Well, it's more probable than Gruden but he is still going to have to beat Alabama to win anything. The SEC west doesn't get any easier to win coaching Arkansas.

PossumFan

Quote from: GlassofSwine on November 20, 2017, 09:44:53 pm
Well, it's more probable than Gruden but he is still going to have to beat Alabama to win anything. The SEC west doesn't get any easier to win coaching Arkansas.

Yes, I realize Alabama remains an obstacle. But the pressure to bet Bama is much greater at Auburn than at Arkansas. Lose enough years in a row to Bama, and an Auburn coach will be in hot water even if the season is an overall success.

moses_007

Quote from: PossumFan on November 20, 2017, 10:07:13 pm
Yes, I realize Alabama remains an obstacle. But the pressure to bet Bama is much greater at Auburn than at Arkansas. Lose enough years in a row to Bama, and an Auburn coach will be in hot water even if the season is an overall success. 
Yes, and this is why Gus wants out of AU.

GlassofSwine

Quote from: PossumFan on November 20, 2017, 10:07:13 pm

My wife went to Auburn, so I'm aware of the pressure but that begs the other side of that question, why would you want a coach who can't handle that pressure? I mean who wants to hire a coach who is going to come here with the mindset that I can lose to Alabama and it doesn't matter because at Arkansas the fans won't care.

moses_007

Quote from: GlassofSwine on November 20, 2017, 10:19:30 pm
My wife went to Auburn, so I'm aware of the pressure but that begs the other side of that question, why would you want a coach who can't handle that pressure? I mean who wants to hire a coach who is going to come here with the mindset that I can lose to Alabama and it doesn't matter because at Arkansas the fans won't care.
Certainly Gus wants to beat Alabama.  I think the only time he has was 2 years ago on that fluke long field goal attempt by Alabama that Auburn ran back all the way for a touchdown and the win.

Arkansas fans want to beat Alabama too, but they're smart enough to realize that Alabama is too good right now for anyone to beat them.  Auburn threatens to fire Gus if he doesn't beat the Tide.

longpig

What about Tanning Bed Ned?
Don't be scared, be smart.

GlassofSwine

Quote from: moses_007 on November 20, 2017, 10:23:42 pm
Certainly Gus wants to beat Alabama.  I think the only time he has was 2 years ago on that fluke long field goal attempt by Alabama that Auburn ran back all the way for a touchdown and the win.

Arkansas fans want to beat Alabama too, but they're smart enough to realize that Alabama is too good right now for anyone to beat them.  Auburn threatens to fire Gus if he doesn't beat the Tide.

No, Auburn threatened to fire Gus because in the last 3 years he had gone 8-5. 7-6. and 8-5 with a record of 11-13 in the SEC. That includes losing 3 of 4 to end the season last year. He is also 1-3 in Bowl games. Auburn wants to beat Alabama, but Auburn fans aren't stupid.

Paul

cotterhog

And what about Carolyn Long?

prattville pig

That is cool right there!  I remember one time the camera cut over to Dave and he had his feet propped up on the desk with his shoes off.  and Tom Bonner doing Dialing for Dollars.

Does anyone remember George Moore?  "That's the news by George..... By George Moore.
Life's too short to last long.

HogBreath

Bwahahahaha...post of the year candidate right here.
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

Pork Twain

Quote from: The Boar War on November 20, 2017, 12:02:12 pm
So Dave Woodman didn't know that Broyles and Nutt have been gone for a decade?
Those were my thoughts...
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

HogHillbilly

Quote from: Possible Oatmeal on November 20, 2017, 05:06:42 pm
From what I've heard, this is correct.  It is his wife's mother if I'm not mistaken.

Correct...
Pain heals.......Chicks dig scars.......Glory lasts forever.......GHG

uams1989

No inside sources or sauces for that matter. Just thought from a cold deer stand in West Alabama. This is all a power play for Gus and Sexton. They've got Auburn over a barrel now. AD on his way out, and, Auburn started improving on the field. Early in the year, a friend of mine who is well connected at Auburn told me he and Jacobs were gone. Now that friend just grins and changes the subject. For those of you that think he'd leave in this run...how do I say it tactfully...you're crazy!  He stands to gain more power and control at Auburn. I'm not saying it won't happen but these done deal thoughts and he's dying to come home posts are are ridiculous.
"They got a name for the winners in the world...
They call Alabama the Crimson Tide..."

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: farmhawg on November 20, 2017, 12:22:15 pm
Heres the deal, is Gus doesn't come here right now then he never can. It can't be this open and him turn us down. Now maybe he doesn't care which is fine but he will never get the chance again. The fans would roast whoever hires him after this point.

Timing is everything. To some fans maybe enough water has gone under the bridge, to other maybe not enough and to even others there would have to be a flood that washes the bridge away.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: TNhogfan on November 20, 2017, 04:12:55 pm
Nope.  Big Sam Smith came in for the 1977 season, then Paul Eells  followed starting with the 1978 season.   Dave became the Voice of the Razorbacks after Bud Campbell died during the 1974 season, but only lasted 2 full seasons before going back to KARK.

I knew Dave's son back then. You are correct. Frank got him fired as Voice of the Razorbacks. There were some circumstances and "battles" going on between TV stations in LR at the time. KATV did not like the fact the KARK guy had been given the Voice job. Paul got the job at KATV.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

hoggusamoungus

Quote from: prattville pig on November 21, 2017, 03:15:20 am
That is cool right there!  I remember one time the camera cut over to Dave and he had his feet propped up on the desk with his shoes off.  and Tom Bonner doing Dialing for Dollars.

Does anyone remember George Moore?  "That's the news by George..... By George Moore.

I do.  Also remember Les Bolton.  His broadcast were brought to you by Reddy Kilowatt, the AP&L mascot.